What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The ***OFFICIAL*** Washington, DC thread (1 Viewer)

Okay thanks. You too Scoob. Let's look at it this way. You can eat anywhere you want in the DC area one time only. Period. Pick a restaurant.
For me, that's Rasika.
Rasika is good!
I'm trying but failing to get my kid into the greatness of Indian food. Gotta backup? And thanks for just naming one for me.
Yeah, kids complicate things. A lot of my favorites have been mentioned. Big fan of Central and Jaleo. I'd say that kids might enjoy Zaytinya (Greek, Lebanese, and Turkish mezze) a bit more than Jaleo. It's another Jose Andres restaurant. If your kids are behaved, and you don't mind spending a bit, you might do your expensive meal at The Source. It's in the Newseum, and it's excellent (and I wanted to hate it on Wolfgang Puck's name alone). For seafood, you might try Sea Catch. It's in Georgetown, has very good raw oysters if you dig that, and it's not nearly as crowded as an Old Ebbitt or one of the crummy restaurants on the waterfront. It's kind of fallen out of fashion, but the food is actually quite good. Close by, but really more of a lunch spot and often crowded, is Tackle Box. I give them far too much of my money on weekends.

'Doctor Detroit said:
If you're thinking Italian, here's the best-kept foodie secret in DC. It's also a great place to stock up on cheap wine.
Oh good God you are my hero.
This place was great, lots of stuff from Italy that is almost impossible to find in the States. Wine selection was good, found a bunch of good $7 bottles from Puglia which has the most underrated reds on the peninsula. After went to lunch at my favorite DC restaurant, Etete in the Shaw neighborhood. Man I love that area. Close enough to the yuppie/elitist neighborhoods so you get the good police coverage and cleanliness, yet far enough away that you don't have to overhear the world's most boring conversations. Still have never been to Ben's Chili Bowl but the line out the door today must have been about a quarter of a mile. :excited:

'Doctor Detroit said:
If you're thinking Italian, here's the best-kept foodie secret in DC. It's also a great place to stock up on cheap wine.
This place was great, lots of stuff from Italy that is almost impossible to find in the States. Wine selection was good, found a bunch of good $7 bottles from Puglia which has the most underrated reds on the peninsula.
I need to put that on my to-do list. I'm a big fan of finding the really good cheap places.
After went to lunch at my favorite DC restaurant, Etete in the Shaw neighborhood.
Another thing on my to-do list is Ethiopian. Lived in the DC my whole life and haven't tried it. I think the main thing that stops me is that I won't know what I'm doing and will order horribly wrong. I have that feeling a lot in restaurants, especially Korean restaurants. But, a lot of times, they're nice and tell the white guy what he wants and doesn't want. So, when I finally get around to trying Ethiopian, what should I order? I'd like to be able to just go in and order with confidence and not stare at the menu with no idea what to do.
Still have never been to Ben's Chili Bowl but the line out the door today must have been about a quarter of a mile. :excited:
The only time I've ever been, I took the whole family. The line was out the door and down the alley a little ways. Once we got in the door, the line snaked before reaching the register. An employee noticed my pregnant wife and took us back to a table, let us sit, and he took our order. Really nice of him.

D>just order what looks good to you. I'd recommend something beef but the lamb is also very good. the wat is good also, it is kind of a stew.

How Ethiopian food works is like this:

You and your group goes in and finds something they like from the menu. Then they bring out a shared platter that is lined with a thin layer of injera (flatbread) and then a side of five or six injera rolls. Your order will be on the platter along with veggies, spices and salad. You do not get silverware, you take the bread and grab the food and soak up the morsels. It's quite awesome.

There are a bunch of Ethiopian places down there but this one is pretty authentic (the food in Ethiopia tends to have more choices but this is the core cuisine) and very safe for a first timer IMO.

My long-time tradition of sitting at the Lincoln Memorial for the fireworks was broken last night. Our usual parking spots along the side of either 110 or the GW Parkway are no longer available for parking so I had to search elsewhere. We ended up parking at Gravelly Point and walking to the Jefferson. Just not the same as the Lincoln, but still a decent spot.

They (whoever they are) have been gradually taking away parking on the sides of the roads for years and it appears they've finally taken away all parking on the sides of those roads. It's too bad. It used to be such an easy way to drive down, park, walk, see the fireworks, and get back home. I'll have to figure out a new plan for next year to get to the Lincoln...one that doesn't involve Metro.

My long-time tradition of sitting at the Lincoln Memorial for the fireworks was broken last night. Our usual parking spots along the side of either 110 or the GW Parkway are no longer available for parking so I had to search elsewhere. We ended up parking at Gravelly Point and walking to the Jefferson. Just not the same as the Lincoln, but still a decent spot.They (whoever they are) have been gradually taking away parking on the sides of the roads for years and it appears they've finally taken away all parking on the sides of those roads. It's too bad. It used to be such an easy way to drive down, park, walk, see the fireworks, and get back home. I'll have to figure out a new plan for next year to get to the Lincoln...one that doesn't involve Metro.
I've watched them from Gravelly Point before -- that's a pretty good spot in and of itself. Back in the day, I used to go down to the Mall, Gravelly Point, or Iwo Jima to watch. There's also a good view from the rooftop of my office building. Always required a lot of effort and dealing with a lot traffic getting back. This year I just got drunk on my patio and then walked down to the 395 pedestrian bridge near Shirlington and watched from there. That might be my 4th for the foreseeable future.

Last edited by a moderator:
My long-time tradition of sitting at the Lincoln Memorial for the fireworks was broken last night. Our usual parking spots along the side of either 110 or the GW Parkway are no longer available for parking so I had to search elsewhere. We ended up parking at Gravelly Point and walking to the Jefferson. Just not the same as the Lincoln, but still a decent spot.

They (whoever they are) have been gradually taking away parking on the sides of the roads for years and it appears they've finally taken away all parking on the sides of those roads. It's too bad. It used to be such an easy way to drive down, park, walk, see the fireworks, and get back home. I'll have to figure out a new plan for next year to get to the Lincoln...one that doesn't involve Metro.
I was watching the fireworks from The Mall. On the walk back to my car I walked past the Navy Memorial/National Archives Metro stop. The line just to go down into the Metro must have been 200 yards. I'm assuming once you finally got down there you'd still have to wait for a non-full train. I also caught the fireworks in Laurel on Saturday, and I this may sound weird but I think that Laurel put on a better show.

I was watching the fireworks from The Mall. On the walk back to my car I walked past the Navy Memorial/National Archives Metro stop. The line just to go down into the Metro must have been 200 yards. I'm assuming once you finally got down there you'd still have to wait for a non-full train. I also caught the fireworks in Laurel on Saturday, and I this may sound weird but I think that Laurel put on a better show.
Where did you park?

Where did you park?
We lucked into street parking on 13th Street between E & F (by the Warner Theatre). It was the perfect place to take advantage of Chef Geoff's all-night Monday Happy Hour before and after the fireworks. Chef Geoff's Guinness Super Mug ---> :banned:

After a short nightcap, there was absolutely no traffic on the way out.

:blackdot: as I will be in DC the last weekend in July. My wife and I have been once before, "kids" have never been.

This place was great, lots of stuff from Italy that is almost impossible to find in the States. Wine selection was good, found a bunch of good $7 bottles from Puglia which has the most underrated reds on the peninsula. After went to lunch at my favorite DC restaurant, Etete in the Shaw neighborhood. Man I love that area. Close enough to the yuppie/elitist neighborhoods so you get the good police coverage and cleanliness, yet far enough away that you don't have to overhear the world's most boring conversations. Still have never been to Ben's Chili Bowl but the line out the door today must have been about a quarter of a mile. :excited:
Glad the Italian deli lived up to my billing.Ben's is a nightmare during holiday weekends or really any time in the spring/summer because of the tourists. Gotta hit it for a weekday lunch or at 3 AM with the post-party crowd.

I go visit a buddy in DC a couple times a year. We almost always end at least one night at Shelly’s Back Room. If you like a good cigar with a quality scotch this place is awesome. (other cordials as well).

Shelly's Back Room- A Civilized Cigar Parlor
its a weird vibe if u dont buy their cigars
I did this once. Also do not attempt to eat in that place, the whole room is filled with smoke, so everything tastes like cigars.

Close by, but really more of a lunch spot and often crowded, is Tackle Box. I give them far too much of my money on weekends.
Tackle Box (and Hook) is closed due to a fire. Good thing Tackle Box has a 2nd location in Cleveland Park now.

Pretty huge, huh? Did you have a favorite national side chapel?
I had my two boys (6 and 4) with me, so we moved through fairly quickly as I tried to keep them somewhat quiet and respectful. That one little room depicting slavery was interesting. For some reason, that's the main one I remember.
Tackle Box (and Hook) is closed due to a fire.
Hook has been closed to me for some time due to sleeping with the pastry chef and never calling her back.
:lmao:

Oh, and kind of disappointing that the basilica's tower doesn't have an observation deck. The National Cathedral has a good one. It's only on the 7th floor, but since the cathedral already sits on a high elevation it gives a good view of the area. DC is a city in need of better observation decks.

Pretty huge, huh? Did you have a favorite national side chapel?
I had my two boys (6 and 4) with me, so we moved through fairly quickly as I tried to keep them somewhat quiet and respectful. That one little room depicting slavery was interesting. For some reason, that's the main one I remember.
Well, that's a memorable one. That long, rectangular carving depicting the the black struggle from slavery through the civil rights era is amazing.http://www.nbccongress.org/black-catholics/chapel_facts_03.asp

'shake zula said:
Wife and I moved here last May and live in Silver Spring. I would rather live in the District over both MD & VA.
I really like Silver Spring. My brother lives there. It is only a few hundred yards to DC. There is a Metro stop and a nice downtown area. The Quarry House is a good dive bar.

My take as to where to live in DC is wherever you can have an easy commute to work. There are plenty of nice places to live. I would pick the one that keeps me out of the disaster that is DC traffic.

'shake zula said:
Wife and I moved here last May and live in Silver Spring. I would rather live in the District over both MD & VA.
I really like Silver Spring. My brother lives there. It is only a few hundred yards to DC. There is a Metro stop and a nice downtown area. The Quarry House is a good dive bar.
SS is ok. I don't hate it and like it far more than sterilized arlington/alexandria. I pay a pretty low rent and I'm less than a block from Forest Glen Metro station. I woul also agree that Quarry House is very cool. Their speciality beer prices aren't as cool. My favorite beer, la chouffe, is 10 per bottle. In Philly they are no more than 4 per glass/bottle.

I think Arlington/Alexandria is only "sterilized" if you don't get off the Metro corridor. Typically suburban otherwise.

Anyone been to The Cajun Experience, or Restaurant Nora?

Im staying in Dupont Circle and thinking about trying one of these tonight.

I'm not that familiar with downtown Silver Spring. Is it different than the Rosslyn-Ballston corridor?
Let's just say that DT SS is ethnic and the surrounding streets are equally ethnic. I like that. The area near PC Mall is the worst imo. My favorite area is near Capitol Hill/Eastern Market. I'd rather live there than anywhere else in DC.

Anyone been to The Cajun Experience, or Restaurant Nora?Im staying in Dupont Circle and thinking about trying one of these tonight.
Cajun Experience is good, Nora is better but more expensive.If you're around more than a day let me know. You're in my neck of the woods, I've got a ton of recommendations if you want them.

Anyone been to The Cajun Experience, or Restaurant Nora?Im staying in Dupont Circle and thinking about trying one of these tonight.
Cajun Experience is good, Nora is better but more expensive.If you're around more than a day let me know. You're in my neck of the woods, I've got a ton of recommendations if you want them.
I am always looking for new spots to try, so i will take any recs you got. I am in DC for work pretty often.

I am always looking for new spots to try, so i will take any recs you got. I am in DC for work pretty often.
I like Oceanaire near MC and La Tasca in chinatown.

Oceanaire is awesome! Just went to the one in Orlando!Any other good seafood spots? ive been to black salt which i like. any others?

Oceanaire is awesome! Just went to the one in Orlando!Any other good seafood spots? ive been to black salt which i like. any others?
Seafood in the Buff. It's a dive on Georgia near Wheaton. It's basically the seafood section of a grocery that will also cook up the seafood for you. Tons of shellfish, fish, oysters, etc. Great for blue crab if you like that sort of stuff. Polar opposite of Oceanaire in terms of classiness.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seafood in the Buff. It's a dive on Georgia near Wheaton. It's basically the seafood section of a grocery that will also cook up the seafood for you. Tons of shellfish, fish, oysters, etc. Great for blue crab if you like that sort of stuff. Polar opposite of Oceanaire in terms of classiness.
that sounds interesting. Can you eat there? or is it only take out? open for lunch? or just dinner?

This is a small and divey specialty grocery store in Silver Spring, but I recommend it because they named it in honor of me...http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en&biw=849&bih=446&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=Hung+Phat+silver+spring&fb=1&gl=us&hq=Hung+Phat&hnear=0x89b7cf4e666ae927:0x8433a865b29adf,Silver+Spring,+MD&cid=18121782802011637819

yelp

that sounds interesting. Can you eat there? or is it only take out? open for lunch? or just dinner?
You can eat there. They have plenty of tables and it's indoors. It smells like a seafood market so keep that in mind. Very ethnic crowd. Looks sketchy but not at all. Best part is you can get half pound, third pound, quarter pound, etc. of the seafood. Lets you mix it up.

yelp

You can eat there. They have plenty of tables and it's indoors. It smells like a seafood market so keep that in mind. Very ethnic crowd. Looks sketchy but not at all. Best part is you can get half pound, third pound, quarter pound, etc. of the seafood. Lets you mix it up.
Thanks. I might hit this up tomorrow for lunch!

Oh, and kind of disappointing that the basilica's tower doesn't have an observation deck. The National Cathedral has a good one. It's only on the 7th floor, but since the cathedral already sits on a high elevation it gives a good view of the area. DC is a city in need of better observation decks.
Speaking of views of the city, the Old Post Office Pavilion has always had its tower as a pretty good view. And, speaking of the Old Post Office Pavilion, GSA said it has been underutilized by the government and started taking proposals earlier this year for redevelopment. One proposal is apparently for a luxury Trump hotel.

Speaking of views of the city, the Old Post Office Pavilion has always had its tower as a pretty good view. And, speaking of the Old Post Office Pavilion, GSA said it has been underutilized by the government and started taking proposals earlier this year for redevelopment. One proposal is apparently for a luxury Trump hotel.
Interesting. It's pretty close to my office building. I'd go there for lunch more, but their food court is awful. Hope fixing that is part of the plans.

Interesting. It's pretty close to my office building. I'd go there for lunch more, but their food court is awful. Hope fixing that is part of the plans.
Best view in the city is the rooftop bar at the W on 15th. Added bonus- when you go there you no longer need to be concerned about Albert Haynesworth sexually assaulting any women in your company.

Yeah, as far as I know, it's a food court and a tower with a view. And the food court is so blah. The building definitely seems underutilized.

Best view in the city is the rooftop bar at the W on 15th. Added bonus- when you go there you no longer need to be concerned about Albert Haynesworth sexually assaulting any women in your company.
I got totally bodychecked by Rahm Emanueul as he was making his way to the elevator up to there (I was actually going to the lobby bar, I know my limits).

Daily e-mail today mentioned a fantasy football symposium in DC. Is that new? Not sure it's worth $50 to hear people tell me info that I already subscribe to FBGs for, although a day devoted to football without interruption from the wife is tempting.

Sunday, August 28, 2011 - Washington D.C.Waterford Receptions at Springfield6715 Commerce St.Springfield, VA 22150Scheduled* to appear:Top NFL Reporter Adam Schefter - Keynote SpeakerMatthew "Talented Mr. Roto" Berry from ESPNAJ Mass from ESPN.comDavid Dodds from FootballGuys.comChris Liss from Rotowire.com & Sirius RadioJeff Pasquino from FootballGuys.comScott Engel of RotoExperts.com and SiriusXM RadioEvan Silva from Rotoworld.com, ProFootballTalk.com and NBC SportsGregg Rosenthal from Rotoworld.com, ProfootballTalk.com and NBC Sports

'dgreen said:
'Don Quixote said:
'dgreen said:
Yeah, as far as I know, it's a food court and a tower with a view. And the food court is so blah. The building definitely seems underutilized.
Was there a couple of years ago and agree - that food court was dumpy, dingy, and didn't look very clean. Any mall's food court is better than what I saw. Plus, the damned observation deck was closed so we couldn't even go up. I thought the food court area would be a cool place for a few quirky bars/pubs.

Users who are viewing this thread