What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Republican Civil War is over: Trump has won, his opponents have surrendered. (1 Viewer)

Its not ripping actual conservatives...it’s ripping the current GOP.  There is a large difference.   The GOP as it is, is not conservative.

This is a wee bit different and the attempt at perpetuating the myth or comparing what is happing now to previous reactions to election results torpedoes any credibility one might have.

Trump is just one giant ball of far-Left antimatter.  As long as that anti-American threat exists, so will Trump.  It’s really that simple.
Nothing is more American than the left.

Ended slavery, saved the union, helped women get the vote, ended company towns, child labor and murderous working conditions, created the 40 hour work week + weekends, provided social security and Medicare, restored clean water and clean air.

It's a good list.

Ended slavery, saved the union, helped women get the vote, ended company towns, child labor and murderous working conditions, created the 40 hour work week + weekends, provided social security and Medicare, restored clean water and clean air.

It's a good list.
huh?  The left fought FOR slavery, implemented Jim Crowe and started the KKK.  "The Left" has been responsible for some of the most heinous crimes not only in American history, but World history as well.

Your revisionist history may work on the rubes, but it ain't working on anyone else.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Southern Strategy

In case anyone wants to see the truth of what’s being discussed above. 
Yeah, you guys keep brining that up, but that doesn't explain the left fighting for slavery during the Civil War, Jim Crowe and the KKK.

It's about time you guys come to grips with your history instead of blaming it on someone else.  It's absurd that someone would post that the left freed the slaves and saved the union.  Absolutely absurd and it's indicative of someone who knows nothing of history and wants to revise it as if they were the heroes.

Absurd.

Yeah, you guys keep brining that up, but that doesn't explain the left fighting for slavery during the Civil War, Jim Crowe and the KKK.

It's about time you guys come to grips with your history instead of blaming it on someone else.  It's absurd that someone would post that the left freed the slaves and saved the union.  Absolutely absurd and it's indicative of someone who knows nothing of history and wants to revise it as if they were the heroes.

Absurd.
Where your conflating things is assuming the “left” always means Dems.  The “left” is liberalism (taking hold primarily in the north), that is what freed the slaves. Some where along the way the sides flipped. Today what is classic red republicans in the south would have been southern Democrats during the civil war.  

It's a good list.
The Left has caused more death and misery worldwide than any other form of government.

Absurd.
The level of ignorance among Liberals these days astounds me.  Completely ignorant of basic history.

Where your conflating things is assuming the “left” always means Dems.  The “left” is liberalism (taking hold primarily in the north), that is what freed the slaves. Some where along the way the sides flipped. Today what is classic red republicans in the south would have been southern Democrats during the civil war.  
Negative.  That's another BS attempt to try to pin slavery, Jim Crow and the KKK on anyone else other than the Democrats where it squarely belongs.

huh?  The left fought FOR slavery, implemented Jim Crowe and started the KKK.  "The Left" has been responsible for some of the most heinous crimes not only in American history, but World history as well.

Your revisionist history may work on the rubes, but it ain't working on anyone else.
It was the idea of conservatives in the South who wanted to keep slaves shortly before the war. They wanted things to stay the same (literally the definition of conservatism, by the way). Your history and assertions are very much wrong.

The level of ignorance among Liberals these days astounds me.  Completely ignorant of basic history.
Ignorance is simply not knowing the facts. However, blaming slavery on liberal ideologies is much worse

Why the common hot potato pissing contest over what the parties might or might not have done 100+ years ago?  What does that have to do at all about what the current make up and tone of the political parties are today?  
Because when they find an opening on the smallest of points, they jump on it - cause they are failing on the big issues

It was the idea of conservatives in the South who wanted to keep slaves shortly before the war. They wanted things to stay the same (literally the definition of conservatism, by the way). Your history and assertions are very much wrong.
Oof!  :doh:

You should own your history of being racists.  The DNC has tried to revise history for the last 156 years and blame slavery and its horrendous treatment of black people on everyone else but themselves.

So when posters make the absurd claim that the left fought to end slavery and saved the union, it is VERY much laughable.  And pathetic.

They really like gaslighting. I’m not sure who they think they’re confusing, but they do it all the same. I just throw up an occasional link so the casual reader can see the truth when it gets a little thick.
Oh wow.  This is a tone-deaf post considering what forum you're in.  :doh:

:potkettle:

Your propaganda links don't work on anyone but the rubes either.

The Rs aren't failing on the big issues. They aren't even trying. No platform beyond conspiracy and complaining (sometimes rightfully so) about what the Ds are doing. I dream for the day the Rs return to attempting active governance so we can have a healthy debate on policies and direction. Unfortunately, that is not the path the party appears to be going down, instead doubling down on conspiracy and wild complaint. 

Oof!  History.com is an entertainment channel.  :doh:

As I said earlier, the Southern Strategy doesn't explain away the racist past of the Democrats prior to the 60's.  It's almost like you think America was founded in 1960.

The Rs aren't failing on the big issues. They aren't even trying. No platform beyond conspiracy and complaining (sometimes rightfully so) about what the Ds are doing. I dream for the day the Rs return to attempting active governance so we can have a healthy debate on policies and direction. Unfortunately, that is not the path the party appears to be going down, instead doubling down on conspiracy and wild complaint. 
Anything other than self-reflection. It seems that conspiracy theory has become the platform, governance be damned. It’s a sad and dangerous game that the party heads are playing right now. 

The Democrats didn't create the KKK? Revisionist history at its finest!
You are correct on that and as far as I can tell no one is disputing that all. 

The disagreement seems to lie in your assertion that the Democratic party before 1960 was leftist and/or liberal. 

The Democratic party went through a major change, as happens with political parties. So oddly, what seems to be a major tangent in this thread is somehow completely on point (Parties fracturing and changing).

The disagreement seems to lie in your assertion that the Democratic party before 1960 was leftist and/or liberal. 

The Democratic party went through a major change, as happens with political parties. So oddly, what seems to be a major tangent in this thread is somehow completely on point (Parties fracturing and changing).
Exactly...the parties even today are different than in the 80s.   This is not the same Republican party of Reagan...nor the same Democratic party.  Things shift all the time.

All my points exactly. 

The Democrats have always been the party of big government, and therefore have always been "liberal" in that sense.

However, until 1964, that "big government" was set up to cater primarily to Anglo-Saxon male protestants.

Once that changed, the southern Democrats started leaving the party in droves. This is what Nixon capitalized on in 1968.

It feels like the modern Democrat party is attempting to facilitate a similar shift for 2024, although I doubt it will happen for 2 reasons: one, because the Democrats are unfocused and disorganized; and two, because Republicans of 2021 are not nearly as agitated and resentful as southern Democrats of 1964 were.

Oof!  :doh:

You should own your history of being racists.  The DNC has tried to revise history for the last 156 years and blame slavery and its horrendous treatment of black people on everyone else but themselves.

So when posters make the absurd claim that the left fought to end slavery and saved the union, it is VERY much laughable.  And pathetic.
The Democrats were conservative in the 1800s. They’re republicans now. Your history is wrong again.

The Democrats didn't create the KKK? Revisionist history at its finest!
Oof. You are both correct and horribly, horribly wrong. 

1. Everything you wrote about the Democratic Party is mostly true. Between the two parties, the Democrats were always the more racist party in our history, it’s not even close. (But it’s incorrect that the Democratic Party started the Civil War. The Confederacy was made up of both former Democrats and former Whigs, and in the North, most Democrats supported preserving the Union and many died bravely on the Yankee side.) 

2. Up until the about second decade of 20th century, the Democratic Party was not “the Left”; it was basically to the right of the Republicans. Conversely, the Republican Party was more liberal than conservative. The change began with the advent of Woodrow Wilson and the parties firmed up into what they are today, with Democrat generally being more liberal and Republican more conservative (though starting with Trump we are seeing a new change with conservatism basically dead and the new dichotomy being liberal vs nationalist.) 

3. But you’re correct that, even after the Democrats became the party of liberalism it was still virulently racist (none more so than Woodrow Wilson himself.) The Democrats would have to undergo an evolution of about 40-50 years before it mostly eliminated racism from its ranks (and even now it still struggles with it at times.) 

4. Since the 1970s, the Democrats have often tried to lay the charge of racism on Republicans and conservatives, at rare times accurately, but usually unfairly and often hypocritically. I’m sure this recent history infuriates you and other well- meaning conservatives and I can’t blame you. But it doesn’t give you the right to simplify history and misrepresent what really took place, which unfortunately you’re doing now. 

pollardsvision said:

In 1964 Ted Kennedy and Strom Thurmond were both US Senators and members of the Democratic Party. I don't think there would be any problem finding current Democrats with Kennedy's political philosophy. There are no Democrats that are anything like Thurmond.

The Football Freak said:
The Southern Strategy

In case anyone wants to see the truth of what’s being discussed above. 
I've never really understood that narrative.  If we kept all else constant, the most meaningful thing that changes current day is that the current day "republican" would have been "democrat" 200 years ago and vice versa.  It's some bizarre Twilight Zone stuff to not understand that, but it seems pretty prevalent.

pollardsvision said:

Maybe I’m missing something but where did he say Democratic Party?

Maybe I’m missing something but where did he say Democratic Party?
He didn’t but has.  But that’s the point I was making.  The “left” as it’s defined today is liberals.  The liberals of the day during the civil war were not pro slavery and were on the side of freeing the slaves.  

Users who are viewing this thread