What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Stock Market under Joe Biden things are looking down! (3 Viewers)

That past year not so fun.
Interesting data point. The last three quarters exhibited a losing stock and bond market. That's the first time, ever, that has happened.

Another historic achievement for this administration.
You have yet to offer a reasonable explanation as to why you believe the administration is responsible for these events. I know you’re too bright a person to offer the lazy and simplistic “it happened under their watch so they are responsible!” I expect more specifics from you and others in this forum. But no one has offered anything that makes sense.

It's been responded to ad nauseum in the inflation thread.
No it hasn’t. Arguments have been offered, none of them reasonable.
I for one have posted it many times. We've been adding stimulus, we paid out way too much in PPP and extended unemployment benefits, we have been announcing new programs like the so called Inflation Reduction Act and student loan forgiveness. Financial markets are forward looking. The amount of buyers and activity in equities and bond markets take that into account. If we didn't have our foot on the gas in flooding the market with new money then the Fed might not have to be so harsh on the interest rate climbs. And it's a fact, they are taking a sledgehammer to it because they view inflation as out of control. When a house is on fire and you dump gas on it, the fact that there was a fire at all doesn't abdicate you from the responsibility in adding to the problem. It's been a debacle.
The problem with your analogy is: the house is not on fire. The whole neighborhood is on fire, and whatever you do to your own house, either adding gasoline or water, isn’t going to make a bit of difference.

That’s one reason I wrote that this argument is unreasonable. Inflation is world wide. Biden can’t make it worse by spending more and he can’t make it better by spending less. The other reason it’s unreasonable is that Biden is no better or worse at spending than the guy he replaced or any other President for that matter. There hasn’t been a single one who hasn’t spent as much as he could, and there won’t be. So it’s completely absurd to criticize Biden in particular for this.
Of course he can make it worse. You once called my economic views “naive”. I really feel like you’re gaslighting here. Nobody who has an elementary view of economics would argue that fiscal policy and what an administration does has zero effect. It’s fine to say there are macro factors out of their control and I’d never deny that. But this is lunacy to claim that all that stimulus spending has zero inflationary impact. It’s not rooted in any kind of legitimate reality. Whether other administrations were bad (and yes they were) has zero to do with whether Biden’s actions have worsened our situation. I don’t feel you’re a bad guy but when you make these statements it’s impossible to take you seriously in these matters.
Agree with this. But Trump added $8T to the debt so the die was cast whether or not Biden approved $0 spending, we were seeing 6%+ inflation. To blame Biden is silly imho. He contributed for sure but look to the prior two admins for the real culprits.
Not according to Tim, and Biden's actions on inflation is what we are discussing.

Interesting data point. The last three quarters exhibited a losing stock and bond market. That's the first time, ever, that has happened.

You have yet to offer a reasonable explanation as to why you believe the administration is responsible for these events. I know you’re too bright a person to offer the lazy and simplistic “it happened under their watch so they are responsible!” I expect more specifics from you and others in this forum. But no one has offered anything that makes sense.

I for one have posted it many times. We've been adding stimulus, we paid out way too much in PPP and extended unemployment benefits, we have been announcing new programs like the so called Inflation Reduction Act and student loan forgiveness. Financial markets are forward looking. The amount of buyers and activity in equities and bond markets take that into account. If we didn't have our foot on the gas in flooding the market with new money then the Fed might not have to be so harsh on the interest rate climbs. And it's a fact, they are taking a sledgehammer to it because they view inflation as out of control. When a house is on fire and you dump gas on it, the fact that there was a fire at all doesn't abdicate you from the responsibility in adding to the problem. It's been a debacle.
The problem with your analogy is: the house is not on fire. The whole neighborhood is on fire, and whatever you do to your own house, either adding gasoline or water, isn’t going to make a bit of difference.

That’s one reason I wrote that this argument is unreasonable. Inflation is world wide. Biden can’t make it worse by spending more and he can’t make it better by spending less. The other reason it’s unreasonable is that Biden is no better or worse at spending than the guy he replaced or any other President for that matter. There hasn’t been a single one who hasn’t spent as much as he could, and there won’t be. So it’s completely absurd to criticize Biden in particular for this.
Of course he can make it worse. You once called my economic views “naive”. I really feel like you’re gaslighting here. Nobody who has an elementary view of economics would argue that fiscal policy and what an administration does has zero effect. It’s fine to say there are macro factors out of their control and I’d never deny that. But this is lunacy to claim that all that stimulus spending has zero inflationary impact. It’s not rooted in any kind of legitimate reality. Whether other administrations were bad (and yes they were) has zero to do with whether Biden’s actions have worsened our situation. I don’t feel you’re a bad guy but when you make these statements it’s impossible to take you seriously in these matters.
Agree with this. But Trump added $8T to the debt so the die was cast whether or not Biden approved $0 spending, we were seeing 6%+ inflation. To blame Biden is silly imho. He contributed for sure but look to the prior two admins for the real culprits.
Not according to Tim, and Biden's actions on inflation is what we are discussing.
Ok, but why discuss Biden's actions on inflation when the die was cast long before Biden took office. What's the point?

Biden added 2% to 8% inflation?

Ok, but why discuss Biden's actions on inflation when the die was cast long before Biden took office. What's the point?

But Trump :lol:
Are you suggesting the actions of the prior administration had no impact on this economy vs an administration that's just more than 18 months in office?

No offense, seems a little naive.

The deficit has been increasing for decades. Inflation would be happening anyway, maybe would be a tiny bit lower. Of all the factors impacting the stock market the fiscal impact is relatively insignificant.
Read my post, macro factors for sure are playing a part in it. It's ridiculous to say that Biden's actions have had zero impact though, which is what was stated.

Because that was the topic that was being discussed perhaps? Because things are bad in a macro sense, to listen to the arguments here people just want to give him a pass because his plans fit their political agenda I guess. I'm glad you're agreeing he did make it worse, you can absolve him of it if you wish. If you ask me, a couple hundred basis points worth of added inflation, if that's what you want to assign him, would be pretty damning.

ude
Because that was the topic that was being discussed perhaps? Because things are bad in a macro sense, to listen to the arguments here people just want to give him a pass because his plans fit their political agenda I guess. I'm glad you're agreeing he did make it worse, you can absolve him of it if you wish. If you ask me, a couple hundred basis points worth of added inflation, if that's what you want to assign him, would be pretty damning.
No, he definitely made it worse. But I won't go around saying "Biden caused inflation" cause that's not true. Made it worse? For sure, but again at a much lower magnitude than the guy before him. But for sure made it worse.

I dont' think I'd blindly assign 200 bps but in any case the intent of the spending was to benefit the country, most of money went to client impacts, prescription drugs and health care costs. Maybe you're not all that into caring about climate change, you're prob against the loan forgiveness i don't really know, but I think the other two would be pretty important to most people.

I dont' think I'd blindly assign 200 bps but in any case the intent of the spending was to benefit the country, most of money went to client impacts, prescription drugs and health care costs. Maybe you're not all that into caring about climate change, you're prob against the loan forgiveness i don't really know, but I think the other two would be pretty important to most people.
I don't know that I would either. The fact is none of us can say for sure. It would be hypocritical for me to say that I knew how much. I just know his policies have had some impact and common economic sense says they are inflationary.

You're part right on me, I am very against loan forgiveness. I actually do believe in climate, I just believe we need to have realistic supplies before we cut off our ability to produce fossil fuels. Like it or not we need them until we can become more green in that way. I am for developing those alternative sources.

Ok. Let's review. Trump did add a bunch of money. Personally wasn't super happy with that, either. But at the time inflation was zero, trending towards deflation.

Biden added 2T after inflation spiked. He knew it was there, despite the ridiculous transitory label. Out the latter declarations from the mainstream media that inflation was good.

Sorry. Biden poured gas on a fire. You can't deny these fairly simple facts.

Maybe you're not all that into caring about climate change,
Just a general note here. The discussion on climate is long and involved and I don't want to get into that.

However, it is interesting to point out how serious our dear Democratic leaders take it.

Obama - beach house, Martha's Vineyard
Biden - beach house, Rehoboth, Delaware
Kerry - beach house, Martha's Vineyard

Yeah, they're real worried.

Just a general note here. The discussion on climate is long and involved and I don't want to get into that.

However, it is interesting to point out how serious our dear Democratic leaders take it.

ever heard of insurance?

Ok. Let's review. Trump did add a bunch of money. Personally wasn't super happy with that, either. But at the time inflation was zero, trending towards deflation.

Biden added 2T after inflation spiked. He knew it was there, despite the ridiculous transitory label. Out the latter declarations from the mainstream media that inflation was good.

Not only did he add a lot of money, he cut revenue at the same time. Both Trump and Biden were/are spendaholics but cutting taxes at the same time is not sound fiscal policy.

Neither party is fiscally conservative, not even close.

Do you know who I am!!!!

If Biden added 2% to 8% inflation, then we can blame for inflation Biden, no?

Not only did he add a lot of money, he cut revenue at the same time. Both Trump and Biden were/are spendaholics but cutting taxes at the same time is not sound fiscal policy.

can I get a link to the revenues to the government going down.

can I get a link to the revenues to the government going down.
Negatory. We continue to set tax receipt records, good sir.

Sure, knock yourself out. Inflation started spiking like 3 months after Biden took office. Surely he's responsible and had the amazing ability to impact the world economy in just a few months.

Sure, knock yourself out. Inflation started spiking like 3 months after Biden took office. Surely he's responsible and had the amazing ability to impact the world economy in just a few months.

Inflation didn't start spiking until after the Democrats needlessly passed the American Rescue Plan. That was the straw that broke the camels back. But even as US inflation began spiking, the Euro Area's core inflation was still low. Headline inflation didn't top 5% until January 2022 (when Putin was amassing troops on the Ukraine border) but the core inflation was still only 2.3%. It wasn't until Putin invaded the Ukraine that the the saw the headline inflation really begin to spike because they were so dependent on Russian energy. But even now when the Euro Area's headline inflation is over 9% their core inflation is still only 4.8%. Much, much better than the US at 6.3%. So yes, Biden is very responsible for the state of inflation in the United States and trying to compare inflation with other countries around the world is like apples and oranges because none of those countries are capable of being energy independent like the US.

yep, and now he decided to double down with another 2 trillion added to the fire & of course lets forgive $10,000 to $20,000 of student loans. you can post all you want as far as 3 months in and all but apparently good old Joe figures we can print some more money & hand it out even NOW.
complete monetary failure , but of course an election coming up & but, but Trump or whatever as an excuse.
can't people just get over sides and all and recognize what is a success & what is not?
apparently not.
train wreck in crime, border, inflation, energy.

Anyone know why it went up the last 2 days?

Couple things.

1. There will be periodic rebounds. But there won't be a full recovery until inflation is under control.

2. The job market data showed that we lost 1.1M jobs which is an indicator that the fed rate hikes are starting to work and possibly that the fed won't have to raise rates as much as 75 basis points again in November.

3. The Twitter deal got good news yesterday (Twitter up 22%).

1. There will be periodic rebounds. But there won't be a full recovery until inflation is under control.

2. The job market data showed that we lost 1.1M jobs which is an indicator that the fed rate hikes are starting to work and possibly that the fed won't have to raise rates as much as 75 basis points again in November.

can it sustain ...... 1000 gain in 2 days is great

doesn't offset the 6000 loss in 6 months ......... and when oil prices surge this week ... it could be another bloodbath

can it sustain ...... 1000 gain in 2 days is great

doesn't offset the 6000 loss in 6 months ......... and when oil prices surge this week ... it could be another bloodbath

For me, this is nothing more than a buying opportunity. I dollar cost average so a 12-24 months of sideways or downward movements just allows me to accumulate so that when it jumps, I jump faster. As I get closer to retirement, I'll have to move my investments into safer options.

Nasdaq at a 2 year low. Records continue to be set here.
2 year low in the grander scheme of things isn't really that big a deal.
It depends on your time horizon and tolerance to put more at risk. If you have retired in the past year or plan to in the next 12-18 months it’s pretty devastating. If you’re 25 and just starting out, it’s a good opportunity to base in your 401k and Roth. If it persists into the new year I’m gonna have my bookkeeper set up my 2023 401k contribution to hit earlier in the year than normal. I’m thinking we bottom somewhere out in Q4 but who really knows.

It depends on your time horizon and tolerance to put more at risk. If you have retired in the past year or plan to in the next 12-18 months it’s pretty devastating. If you’re 25 and just starting out, it’s a good opportunity to base in your 401k and Roth. If it persists into the new year I’m gonna have my bookkeeper set up my 2023 401k contribution to hit earlier in the year than normal. I’m thinking we bottom somewhere out in Q4 but who really knows.
it shouldn't be devastating to be back to where you were 2 years ago.

about same level as when Biden got in office - brutal

what's REALY brutal is all the people who thought they were going to retire and now they have to work a few more years, re-evaluate everything because they've lost so much of their retirement

another Biden legacy we're witnessing

about same level as when Biden got in office - brutal

what's REALY brutal is all the people who thought they were going to retire and now they have to work a few more years, re-evaluate everything because they've lost so much of their retirement

another Biden legacy we're witnessing
Yeah, that can be very brutal when people try to manage their own savings and leave it in high risk areas when close to or during retirement. Blaming Biden doesn't help as much as taking responsibility and hiring a financial planner does. :thumbup:

it shouldn't be devastating to be back to where you were 2 years ago.
Considering the dollar is worth about 15% less than it was 2 years ago, its a big hit.

Users who are viewing this thread