What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

This Generation Isn’t As Stupid As We Think (1 Viewer)

It may have hit #1 but finished at #64 among the best ranked singles of the year per Billboard, so there were a lot of songs most people in 1981 liked better. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billboard_Year-End_Hot_100_singles_of_1981

It was Christopher Cross's first release of 1981 following two huge 1980 hits (Ride The Wind and Sailing) and winning a boatload of Grammy's, so his past popularity and momentum was probably most responsible for its success. 
It won the academy award though - Best Original Song. 

It won the academy award though - Best Original Song. 

But that would have been awarded in 1982, long after the song was off the charts. And what were the other nominees? Best Original Song category is not always that cutting edge. I don't think the song is as bad as the OP thinks, but it was no more than above average pop rock for its time. 

But that would have been awarded in 1982, long after the song was off the charts. And what were the other nominees? Best Original Song category is not always that cutting edge. I don't think the song is as bad as the OP thinks, but it was no more than above average pop rock for its time. 
Arthur"Best That You Can Do"Peter Allen, Burt Bacharach, Christopher Cross& Carole Bayer Sager (music & lyrics)

Endless Love"Endless Love"Lionel Richie (music & lyrics)

For Your Eyes Only"For Your Eyes Only"Bill Conti (music); Mick Leeson (lyrics)

The Great Muppet Caper"The First Time It Happens"Joe Raposo (music & lyrics)

Ragtime"One More Hour"Randy Newman(music & lyrics)

It was an awful song at the time, no question about that. Dudley Moore was riding a huge wave from 10, which took my generation by storm. Bo Derek’s braids and Bolero, and Dudley Moore. Woody Allen was leading a resurgence of the RomCom and this terrible song and movie were right in that wheelhouse. It’s like a nightmare looking back now, but luckily there was some great music happening in the early 80s just a bit beneath the surface. 

This is an honest to goodness true story:

My sister and I were obsessed with Arthur 2: On the Rocks when we were growing up.  Probably watched it like 20 times and still quote lines to each other.  I maybe only saw the original like once or twice, but we'd watch and re-watch the sequel a few times every time we rented it from the VHS store.

Somehow I turned out OK, but it was touch and go there for a while.

Arthur:  [fires shotgun first] "Pull!!"

[clay is thrown over the water]

Arthur:  "Hit the bullet, hit the bullet!!"

Arthur:  "Why are you doing this to me?"

Burt Johnson:  "Because you didn't marry Susan!"

Arthur:  "But lots of people didn't marry Susan!  See that guy over there?  He didn't marry her.  Let's take him out back and beat the #### out of him."

:lmao:   Those are from memory.

Last edited by a moderator:
My brother and I were also obsessed with it one holiday family vacation where we were at a hotel with free HBO. It rained all week, and they were showing Arthur 2 on repeat, dusk 'til dawn. I, too, have seen it about twenty times because of that, and can remember absolutely nothing about the movie except for that insidious laugh of Dudley Moore's. I would say I turned out okay, but I lived in a bottle worse than Arthur for twenty years and did as many drugs as one can imagine. My brother is the head of a public school teachers' union. We're both ####ed, I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread