What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Those that have seen Bruce Gradkowski of Toledo (1 Viewer)

Gradkowski is not a really big guy, but shows good accuaracy and movement skills. Seemed to be a good leader on the field and a tough guy type. I would rank him as a guy I would like to take in the 4th/5th round as career back-up, who if called to start would not be an embarrassment, but that you would always be trying to upgrade. I am thinking billy Volek type as a back-up, Kelly Holcombish as a starter.

Gradkowski is crazy accurate. Some say that could be a product of the Rockets pass happy system. This isn't Texas Tech we're talking about, but the offense does allow the QB to make the most of his ability.

He is more athletic than people give him credit for. He can move around and throws pretty good on the run.

Not a great arm, but enough to get by in the NFL. When throwing long he has a hitch at the end of his release.

Represents good value in the middle rounds.

Good decisions, good accuracy, good pocket presence, good leadership.

Bad size and arm strength.

First of all, he is bigger than Rex Grossman and Michael Vick, and can run around and pass better than both of them. He is not small. He is 6' 2" 222.

I watched him play in Toledo, teh guy is a freakin beats. Pitt passed up on him. So, in 2003 when Toledo went to play the 9th ranked Pitt..... he annhilated him and this was his retribution. Since then he has smoked everyone around.

Nick Saban started his NFL career in Toledo, and the system they use is a very pass happy system.

Of all the QBs in the draft he has the most passing TDs in 2005.

He can run, is extremely athletic and has unbelievable heart. He is one of those guys that wills his team to victory. If you got to see him shine in the GMAC bowl... you saw just a miniscule of what he can do. And he has close to a 70% completion percentage.

They run a pro style offense with lots of underneath routes. Plenty of deep passes. 90% of the time he is under center. Has a tremendous arm and is scary accurate. Watch the video of him on yahoo:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/prospects?rank_type=3

I don't think I have ever seen a nicer display of passing prowess. The guy is a beast!

He torched Omar Jacobs everytime they met head to head except once in his tenure, yet Jacobs is still ranked higher as a prospect.

Football guys said this about him:

Bruce Gradkowski is a mobile quarterback that can beat you with his arm or his feet. He is a fierce leader on the field and has total command of his huddle. Gradkowski is best throwing the underneath routes, and is deadly accurate on crossing routes and fade stops. When the pressure is on Gradkowski is at his best, often breaking into the 2nd level of the defense with a quick initial burst that takes many by surprise. He is a dangerous roll out passer that can set up and zip the ball past the defense with touch and accuracy. He is very good at spreading the ball around and has tremendous field vision, often checking down to his 3rd or 4th receiver. Has a great over the top release that makes his passes more difficult to bat down.

The only negatives they had about him were actually more positives:

His hands are small and thus this leads to some fumbling issues and ball security problems. He makes good decisions with the football, but doesn't make snap decisions so the pass rush can get to him if they’re persistent. He has adequate arm strength, but cannot put the proper zip on the long out patterns. Good throwing motion, but he does have a slight hitch when trying to put something extra on the pass.

And then said:

Bruce Gradkowski had a monster finish to his college career, throwing for almost 600 yards in his final 2 games. He is a tough competitor that has stayed relatively injury free during his college career. He has the mobility and work ethic that coaches love and it should help him secure a spot as someone’s 3rd stringer. With determination and opportunity Gradkowski could see playing time within a couple of years.

Toledo has consistently cracked the top 25 year in and year out for teh better part of a decade.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate to throw this out there.... but, it is quite possible, that Bruce is/was the product of a system. Rob Spence was the OC for Toledo the last few years (last year Spence was the OC at Clemson - Charlie Whitehurst). QB's in Spence's systems have a knack for success. Spence puts his QBs in positions to succeed and basically breeds high percentage passers.

Spence is known at the collegiate level for effective running paired with a high percentage passing attack. RB Chester Taylor exceled at Toledo under Spence. I will be extremely surprised if Clemson's 5th year senior QB (Will Proctor) under Spence (who is very similar to Gradkowski) does not put up a 70+% completion rate with a 3 to 1 TD ratio this year. QBs who are brought up in Rob Spence's system almost have no choice but to be succesful - the man is an offensive genius.

I hate to throw this out there.... but, it is quite possible, that Bruce is/was the product of a system. Rob Spence was the OC for Toledo the last few years (last year Spence was the OC at Clemson - Charlie Whitehurst). QB's in Spence's systems have a knack for success. Spence puts his QBs in positions to succeed and basically breeds high percentage passers.

Spence is known at the collegiate level for effective running paired with a high percentage passing attack. RB Chester Taylor exceled at Toledo under Spence. I will be extremely surprised if Clemson's 5th year senior QB (Will Proctor) under Spence (who is very similar to Gradkowski) does not put up a 70+% completion rate with a 3 to 1 TD ratio this year. QBs who are brought up in Rob Spence's system almost have no choice but to be succesful - the man is an offensive genius.
I have to agree with everything you have said. Spence is a tremendous OC... but that doesn't discount the talent of the player.Terrel Davis was asked (after he retired) if the RBs in Denver are just a product of the system, or actually talented. He said (as is expected) that of course they are talented, teh system just helps them maximize their talent.

I'd love to see Bruce end up on a team (like Chicago) that gets into QB trouble and be forced to play a few games, like what happened to Craig Krenzel a few years back.

i forgot to mention of the top 6-7 QB prospects, he is the second fastest one. Young did not run a 40 at the combine, but his 40 time is faster than Gradkowski.

I think I agree with the above assessments except for some of the glaring inconsitencies....

He can and does make the deep passes and is unbelievably accurate. Yes the underneath routes help and they probably boost his completion percentage, but stats are stats, and all the players have stats and a completion percentage is only part of teh puzzle, Vince Young doesn't have a high completion percentage, I don't think he will stink it up in the NFL.

As for his grittyness and blue collar work ethic.... the guy played every game as if he had something to prove. He went out every day to showcase himself. The guy will be a very nice No 2 guy and if circumstances happen (like with Brady) can easily become a No 1. It all depends on where he ends up.

He is an extremely capable leader. He can motivate and is exceptional at maintaining intensity and focus in the huddle. He excels in this in ways that Vince Young does, but at a smaller program. And yes, he hist his receivers well in stride.

And yes, Whitehurst is similar, same system... but he is about 6'4" and slower, he ran like a 4.7 forty.

Who knows... all I know is I am a huge Gradkowski fan and it was a joy to watch the guy!! And thanks to him, Toledo retains its elite standing and respect in the MAC as the top team. (Chad Pennington, Byron leftwhich, Randy Moss all played against Toledo)

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread