What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Through 5 weeks the jury is in/out on... (1 Viewer)

rickyg

Footballguy
These are just a few off the top of my head, hoping you guys can add to this.

JURY IS IN:

1) Dwayne Bowe - the jury was out before but this week just solidifies it. great defense + check down charlie = bad bowe. Droppable.

2) Josh Gordon - He is legit. and it doesn't matter if it's hoyer or weeden throwing him the ball. every week WR1/2 starter.

3) David Wilson - It just ain't happening this year. Still bench stash worthy though in case the giants can turn the ship around.

4) Ryan Mathews - need I even describe? Droppable for a high end WW grab.

5) Arian Foster / Ben Tate - It's Foster's job unless he goes down. No RBBC

6) Lamar Miller - His OC is not going to call enough run plays to make him anything more than a RB3/matchup flex play. His coach is too dumb to sit Daniel thomas and stop this RBBC nonsense.

7) Peyton Manning and all denver offense - This is a season for the ages. Enjoy the ride. Barring injury, Moreno is not going to let go let go of the starting gig this year and is a weekly no brainer rb2/3. Set it and forget it.

8) Cam - No longer a must start QB1. His coach and OC are buffoons and he has ZERO weapons and that won't change this year. He will have some good games when the matchup is right.

9) KC Defense - HEELLLLLOOOOO, check please! a Juggernaut. every week no questions asked starter unless they are playing denver or on a bye.

10) Tavon Austin - too small, having trouble adjusting to the speed of the nfl, OC is an unimaginative moron who should not have a job in the nfl. drop worthy.

11) Chris Givens - seems to be an afterthought in this offense. droppable.

12) Rams backfield - Daryl Richardson was outplayed drastically by Stacy vs the jags. Stacy should be the starter from here on out and is a good bench option that can be played as a RB3/Flex in good matchups.

13) Mendy/Ellington - Mendy is going to lose his job to Ellington at some point this year. Ellington is the real deal and might be a key piece to many a championship.

14) James Jones - Arodg favors him. He always sees the opposing team's worst defenders with cobb and nelson also on the field. He is a mismatch. Every week WR2.

15) Alshon Jeffrey - He has arrived. Would not have suspected that his arrival would make marshal a bad fantasy option though. Every week WR2/3

16) Rivers - he is back. Ugly game last night and STILL lit up the fantasy box scores. QB1 and should only be benched in favor of Peyton, Arodg, Brees.

JURY IS STILL OUT:

1) Justin Blackmon/Shorts - great first game back, but can gabbert consistently get him that kind of production? Is he a matchup play or a weekly WR2/3? Is gabbert or henne his QB? Same for shorts

2) Kaepernick - He needs manningham and crabtree back before the jury can be in on him. His defense hurts his production though.

3) VJAX/Mike Williams/Doug Martin - Have to see the Mike Glennon saga play out a few more weeks before judging. Very fluid situation rt now.

4) Marshall - Let's see what opposing defenses do now that Jeffrey has broken out in a big way. Hopefully Marshall enjoys a little more 1 on 1 and cutler remembers that he is the best weapon on the team along with forte.

4) Marshall - Let's see what opposing defenses do now that Jeffrey has broken out in a big way. Hopefully Marshall enjoys a little more 1 on 1 and cutler remembers that he is the best weapon on the team along with forte.
I don't think Cutler has forgotten how great Marshall is, but there is no need to force a throw into double coverage if Jeffrey is open. I think Jeffrey will now require some attention, which is good for Marshall.

Good thread and insights.

As discussed in other threads, I think the jury is still out on Jordan Cameron. Talent is there, but not as sure of the situation anymore with Gordon taking a lot of targets and Weeden back there (yes, Cameron produced with Weeden big time during games 1 and 2, but Gordon was still suspended).

As discussed in other threads, I think the jury is still out on Jordan Cameron. Talent is there, but not as sure of the situation anymore with Gordon taking a lot of targets and Weeden back there (yes, Cameron produced with Weeden big time during games 1 and 2, but Gordon was still suspended).
I think Cameron will be fine. Weeden was looking for him. With Weeden's tendency to hold the ball too long, he will need Cameron as a safety valve.

JURY IS IN:

1) Dwayne Bowe - the jury was out before but this week just solidifies it. great defense + check down charlie = bad bowe. Droppable.

2) Josh Gordon - He is legit. and it doesn't matter if it's hoyer or weeden throwing him the ball. every week WR1/2 starter.

3) David Wilson - It just ain't happening this year. Still bench stash worthy though in case the giants can turn the ship around.

6) Lamar Miller - His OC is not going to call enough run plays to make him anything more than a RB3/matchup flex play. His coach is too dumb to sit Daniel thomas and stop this RBBC nonsense.

7) Peyton Manning and all denver offense - This is a season for the ages. Enjoy the ride. Barring injury, Moreno is not going to let go let go of the starting gig this year and is a weekly no brainer rb2/3. Set it and forget it.

8) Cam - No longer a must start QB1. His coach and OC are buffoons and he has ZERO weapons and that won't change this year. He will have some good games when the matchup is right.

9) KC Defense - HEELLLLLOOOOO, check please! a Juggernaut. every week no questions asked starter unless they are playing denver or on a bye.

10) Tavon Austin - too small, having trouble adjusting to the speed of the nfl, OC is an unimaginative moron who should not have a job in the nfl. drop worthy.

12) Rams backfield - Daryl Richardson was outplayed drastically by Stacy vs the jags. Stacy should be the starter from here on out and is a good bench option that can be played as a RB3/Flex in good matchups.

13) Mendy/Ellington - Mendy is going to lose his job to Ellington at some point this year. Ellington is the real deal and might be a key piece to many a championship.

14) James Jones - Arodg favors him. He always sees the opposing team's worst defenders with cobb and nelson also on the field. He is a mismatch. Every week WR2.

15) Alshon Jeffrey - He has arrived. Would not have suspected that his arrival would make marshal a bad fantasy option though. Every week WR2/3

16) Rivers - he is back. Ugly game last night and STILL lit up the fantasy box scores. QB1 and should only be benched in favor of Peyton, Arodg, Brees.

JURY IS STILL OUT:

1) Justin Blackmon/Shorts - great first game back, but can gabbert consistently get him that kind of production? Is he a matchup play or a weekly WR2/3? Is gabbert or henne his QB? Same for shorts

2) Kaepernick - He needs manningham and crabtree back before the jury can be in on him. His defense hurts his production though.

3) VJAX/Mike Williams/Doug Martin - Have to see the Mike Glennon saga play out a few more weeks before judging. Very fluid situation rt now.

Nice analysis.

I agree with pretty much all of it but think the Ellington bit is too optimistic. He has talent -- certainly more than Mendy at this point -- but I think his team's poor O-Line and schedule (SEA, SF, even StL) drag down his value this year. He's definitely worth rostering even in redraft and will be useful during bye or to fill for injuries and as a flex -- so in that sense he can keep you on track to winning a title. But I don't expect powerful performances that will single-handedly put a team over the top, at least not on a weekly basis. I could be wrong, but this forum spent all last year trying to find the AZ RB that would act as a savior (R. Williams, et al) and it never happened.

Ellington's more talented than last year's bunch and there's a different head coach now, but to me much of the rest remains similar in AZ from last year.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm not sure where you see the potential issue. JC put up nice numbers with Weeden at QB, put up nice numbers with Gordon in the line up...now its just the combo of Weeden & Gordon? Do you think Weeden may just lock onto Gordon?

JURY IS IN:

JURY IS STILL OUT:

Nice analysis.

I agree with pretty much all of it but think the Ellington bit is too optimistic. He has talent -- certainly more than Mendy at this point -- but I think his team's poor O-Line and schedule (SEA, SF, even StL) drag down his value this year. He's definitely worth rostering even in redraft and will be useful during bye or to fill for injuries and as a flex -- so in that sense he can keep you on track to winning a title. But I don't expect powerful performances that will single-handedly put a team over the top, at least not on a weekly basis. I could be wrong, but this forum spent all last year trying to find the AZ RB that would act as a savior (R. Williams, et al) and it never happened.

Ellington's more talented than last year's bunch and there's a different head coach now, but to me much of the rest remains similar in AZ from last year.
Don't know... I've been making this comparison in a few threads on Ellington. He's a very similar type of player and in a similar type of situation as Jamaal Charles was back in 2009. He was behind a plodding veteran who everyone thought he would never really unseat for the stating gig. Even though he was putting up solid stats on his limited attempts. Then he was handed that gig when they released Johnson and Charles exploded for around 1000 yards and 7 TDs through 7 games the rest of the season. Ellington isn't Charles but he has a lot of similar skillsets and is in a similar position. The difference being of course that Ellington has a better QB in Palmer than Charles had in Matt Cassel and he also has Larry Fitzgerald and Michael Floyd spreading the defense instead of a young Dwayne Bowe and Chris Chambers. Charles probably had a slightly better offensive line, but not nearly as many offensive weapons around him to keep the defense honest. Palmer will let it fly and keep the safeties back in games which spells good for a guy like Ellington.

I'm not sure where you see the potential issue. JC put up nice numbers with Weeden at QB, put up nice numbers with Gordon in the line up...now its just the combo of Weeden & Gordon? Do you think Weeden may just lock onto Gordon?
More the latter point about Gordon taking a lot of the targets. Not sure with Weeden and a pretty good defense that there will be as many balls coming Cameron's way as there were when Gordon was out. Just one week last Thursday, but that's why the jury is still out a bit for me with Weeden, Gordon and Cameron all on the field together.

JURY IS IN:

JURY IS STILL OUT:

Nice analysis.

Don't know... I've been making this comparison in a few threads on Ellington. He's a very similar type of player and in a similar type of situation as Jamaal Charles was back in 2009. He was behind a plodding veteran who everyone thought he would never really unseat for the stating gig. Even though he was putting up solid stats on his limited attempts. Then he was handed that gig when they released Johnson and Charles exploded for around 1000 yards and 7 TDs through 7 games the rest of the season. Ellington isn't Charles but he has a lot of similar skillsets and is in a similar position. The difference being of course that Ellington has a better QB in Palmer than Charles had in Matt Cassel and he also has Larry Fitzgerald and Michael Floyd spreading the defense instead of a young Dwayne Bowe and Chris Chambers. Charles probably had a slightly better offensive line, but not nearly as many offensive weapons around him to keep the defense honest. Palmer will let it fly and keep the safeties back in games which spells good for a guy like Ellington.
You can call me Thomas or you can call me Jones, but ya doesn't have ta call me Johnson :P

JURY IS STILL OUT:

Henne will be throwing to them at least for a while and maybe for the rest of the year - Jags coaches should know by now that Gabbert is NOT an NFL quarterback (that said if they could get something useful or draft pick for Henne and Gabbert was healthy he could be back in) They will efinitely have the first pick next year and can get a QB with that pick or a later one that will have more upside.

And with Blackmon I don't really think it matters which one is behind center (although I strongly prefer Henne as a Blackmon owner) he should be in your lineup unless it is week nine.

What about Sproles? Jury in or out. I may have the opportunity to pick him up but he hasn't done much outside of the one game explosion. Is he still a top 10-15 kind of rb in ppr ros?

JURY IS STILL OUT:

Henne will be throwing to them at least for a while and maybe for the rest of the year - Jags coaches should know by now that Gabbert is NOT an NFL quarterback (that said if they could get something useful or draft pick for Henne and Gabbert was healthy he could be back in) They will efinitely have the first pick next year and can get a QB with that pick or a later one that will have more upside.

And with Blackmon I don't really think it matters which one is behind center (although I strongly prefer Henne as a Blackmon owner) he should be in your lineup unless it is week nine.
I agree with this just haven't seen enough sample size to say jury is in on it

What about Sproles? Jury in or out. I may have the opportunity to pick him up but he hasn't done much outside of the one game explosion. Is he still a top 10-15 kind of rb in ppr ros?
I would say so. His role in the offense hasn't changed, and nothing with the offense itself suggests he is going to drop in production. He's going to have some big swings since his production is based on receptions, but with the RB landscape the way it is, he's got double digits in 3 of 5 games, with I'd say a higher floor than the other RBs in that range.

He tends to be underrated, so if you can get him for a good price, I'd say pull the trigger.

Not buying that the jury is in on Cam but not on Kaep. They each have about the same amount of points so far even though Cam has already had his bye. Crabtree won't be back until week 13 AT THE EARLIEST, while Manningham (a guy who had 450 yards last year and 1 TD) is still a couple weeks away.

Jury is still out: Texans Defense-Widely considered a top-3 option this past offseason, they are scoring like a bottom-5 thus far. Their total defense numbers aren't terrible, but they have struggled against the run the past couple weeks. They also haven't been forcing TOs like they have the past couple seasons. Also, the fact that Schaub's pick-six frenzy hurts their points scored against should be taken into account. I think they have enough talent to bounce back and are still worth a hold if you have the space, but dropping them for more attractive streaming options is certainly an option for this disappointing unit.

Ill add another jury is in: Mark Ingram. He's really jus not very good. He's been outplayed by an undrafted free agent. He has no business being on any roster in 14 team or less leagues.

Also Stevan Ridley - it's glaringly apparent that he ha fallen out of favor with belicheck and that does by bode well for his 2013 fantasy outlook.

Vereen will be back in week 11 and he will probably take the reigns as the feature back.

Charles probably had a slightly better offensive line, but not nearly as many offensive weapons around him to keep the defense honest. Palmer will let it fly and keep the safeties back in games which spells good for a guy like Ellington.
slightly?

Moreno is RB9 in PPR points. In my mind, the jury has finished its deliberation. Moreno is guilty of being a borderline fantasy stud.

Jury is still out: Texans Defense-Widely considered a top-3 option this past offseason, they are scoring like a bottom-5 thus far. Their total defense numbers aren't terrible, but they have struggled against the run the past couple weeks. They also haven't been forcing TOs like they have the past couple seasons. Also, the fact that Schaub's pick-six frenzy hurts their points scored against should be taken into account. I think they have enough talent to bounce back and are still worth a hold if you have the space, but dropping them for more attractive streaming options is certainly an option for this disappointing unit.
Dropping them after they play STL next week... Rather play matchups - just not good... Huge disapointment

I bought into the "Miles Austin is finally healthy" music that was coming out of Dallas. Thinking its time to cut bait.

Nice thread, adding Ray Rice to the jury is still out list. He finally got a good game under his belt, but is he still a must start RB1 for this year? Injuries, Flacco, Pierce, all factor into his production, or the lack thereof. Finally getting one good weeks out of five is terrible for where he was drafted and he has a tough schedule coming up: GB, @Pit, Bye, @Cle, Cin, @Chi, NYJ, Pit, Min, @Det, NE, @Cin. Those are some tough teams to run against. Can he keep it going or is he going back to the weekly injury list? Stay tuned. I am not questioning his personal ability btw.

jury is IN Cameron is a stud,

jury is IN Cameron is a stud,
I don't think the jury has given their verdict yet. I want to see how it goes this week first with weeden and Gordon.

Houston has Jacksonville weeks 12 and 14, with the injuries they've had, don't you think they're worth keeping around?

Houston has Jacksonville weeks 12 and 14, with the injuries they've had, don't you think they're worth keeping around?
I'm holding onto them in a deep dyno (12-team, 30 player rosters, non-IDP)where the WW is bare. I think they're much better than their output thus far. It all depends on how deep your league is and what's on the wire.

I would add the jury is still out on Spiller. The early returns aren't good and he likely won't live up to his draft slot now, but it's really hard to predict whether he will get moving in the second half of the year. If he can get healthy, he's getting enough usage, even with F-Jax there. If they can make some adjustments to how they're using him, there's still a glimmer of hope, but it's very uncertain.

Users who are viewing this thread