What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Throwback Thursday Category: 90s Alternative One Hit Wonders (3 Viewers)

Hahaha! The "cool" Christian rock band! Memories of yearly church youth group road trips to various Christian music feats (Atlantafest!) and the very unholy things done away from chaperoned eye comes flooding back...good times, good times!

(not laughing at song, just situations playing it would lead to)

Drivin N Cryin too big to drop "Fly Me Courageous" in here?
no

:mellow:
They were immense down here for a few years. "Straight to Hell" (1989) was played (and dung along to) several times a night in a lot of the LSU-area bars back in the day.
Yup. Couldn't escape it in Mississippi either. They actually played at Millsaps in 1991. I helped set up their stage. Decent guys.

I'm going straight to hell, just like my momma said....

this most self serious, over-wrought band of the 90's this side of REM...

LIVE with "Lakini's Juice"

they had the big hit with "Lightning Crashes" but that other track is who they are.
You couldn't be more wrong. Their first two albums, Mental Jewelry and Throwing Copper were absolutely amazing (not to mention the fact that they are nowhere near a "one-hit wonder.") Unfortunately, this song is from Secret Samadhi, which was ####### horrible. After buying this cd, I was so disappointed, I threw it out of the car window while driving down the interstate.

Try I Alone, Iris, T.B.D., Stage, Operation Spirit, Good Pain, Mental Jewelry. Those are much better indicators of what this band was in the '90's before Ed lost his ####.
Seen/heard anything about ol' Ed lately? Nip over to his official website. You can get him to send you a personal message....for 5 bills. Hell, he'll do a Skype "concert" for 1.5k.
:lmao:What a dooshcanoe. I don't know what happened, but that dude lost his mind.
Yeah, he clearly gets high off the smell of his own flatus these days. Actually, I think he's probably always been a little, umm, self-important. My bride happened to be attending college in York when Live was just starting to gain traction. He had the rep for being somewhat pretentious from jump.

If we all threw in 50 bones apiece do you think we could force him to do, like, 3 Britney Spears covers or something? I'm sure he'd love that.
:lmao:

IN.

I forgot about Soul Asylum yesterday and am now uncertain if they were mentioned. I always liked

.ETA: Everything after GDU was meh to terrible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a big fan of this song, but it reminds me of the summer between my first and second year of graduate school. I looked it up and sure enough it peaked on the Alt radio charts in June of 1996. I can recall it being played in almost constant rotation on Houston's alternative radio station at that time.

Charlie Brown's Parents, much better Dishwalla song.

Ok just two more because I could on forever. Despite my name, I came up in the 90s.

Possum Kingdom (what a #### name for a killer song) by the Toadies (they were just really bad at naming things)

Gotta pick this battle, OLP is not a one hit wonder.Good call on Toadies though. If you're unfamiliar with I come from the water give it a listen.

I really want to post Buckcherry Lit Up, but they had a couple of other hits...albeit not awesome songs.

Ok just two more because I could on forever. Despite my name, I came up in the 90s.

Possum Kingdom (what a #### name for a killer song) by the Toadies (they were just really bad at naming things)

:hifive: I thought maybe I was the only one.

It's really not a 1 hit wonder thread. It's just don't post the obvious big 90s bands like Green Day or RATM or Nirvana.

Rubberneck was a pretty good album overall, but IMO the "star"(creepy subject matter notwithstanding) from that LP was Tyler.
Righteous, unyielding track, terrible video and promotion of said track doomed that one to failure.

Such a good, good song, off of what I consider to be one of the best "mainstream" albums of the '90s.

I forgot about Soul Asylum yesterday and am now uncertain if they were mentioned. I always liked

I referenced Soul Asylum while discussing Semisonic, but didn't link to any of their songs. Saw Soul Asylum live a bunch of times at varying levels of fame, from performances in record stores to headlining festivals.

Played a great show in western Wisconsin capping a full day of music that included the Gin Blossoms. Must have been when Grave Dancers Union was going platinum.

They headlined a triple bill at the St Paul Saints ballpark. Matthew Sweet played a set, then The Jayhawks, then Soul Asylum hit the stage. That was after Let You Dim Light Shine was out, as well as that Victoria Williams tribute record: the encore included "Summer Of Drugs", and Sweet, The Jayhawks, and Victoria Williams joined them on stage. This was when Dave Pirner was dating Winona Ryder - she was at the show.

Oh. So. 90s.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Flys - Got you where I want you

I'm running back through my mp3 listing from college - Napster happened my freshman year and it was awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread