What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Throwback Thursday Category: 90s Alternative One Hit Wonders (1 Viewer)

Did Matthew Sweet's "Girlfriend" get a mention yet? Great tune.
It did.

Matt Sweet's a talented cat. Loved that song a lot when it came out, and still do I guess, but that album was full of good tracks that didn't get anywhere near the attention they probably deserved. Thought I Knew You, Divine Intervention, Holy War, etc

I need to dig up the tracks from Blue Sky on Mars too. I recall being surprised at how many quality tracks that didn't get as much love as I figured they would on that one too.

Last edited by a moderator:
It did.

Matt Sweet's a talented cat. Loved that song a lot when it came out, and still do I guess, but that album was full of good tracks that didn't get anywhere near the attention they probably deserved. Thought I Knew You, Divine Intervention, Holy War, etc

I need to dig up the tracks from Blue Sky on Mars too. I recall being surprised at how many quality tracks that didn't get as much love as I figured they would on that one too.
"Sick of Myself" is his best track, IMO

It did.

i was a big fan of his back in the day. while i liked "girlfriend", i was more impressed with the follow up called "altered beast". i especially dug "time capsule", "ugly truth" and "dinosaur act".

Not all hits, not all one-hit wonders, not necessarily the first time posted in this thread, and there's even a song from 2004 mixed in.

The Connells Stone Cold Yesterday
Love Battery Between the Eyes
Soul Asylum Somebody to Shove

Mazzy Star Halah ... Would still commit crimes to just to please Hope Sandoval
Screaming Trees Dollar Bill ... Wore out Sweet Oblivion way back when

Screaming Trees Winter Song

Social Distortion Winners and Losers
The Cramps Bikini Girls with Machine Guns

Dinosaur Jr Start Choppin'
Grant Lee Buffalo Mockingbirds
Cracker Been Around the World ... Probably the Cracker song I've played most
Cracker Teen Angst ... I still remember where I was the first time I heard this song. Sitting on a couch drinking beer.
Izzy Stradlin and the JuJu Hounds Shuffle it All

5-ish Finkle said:
It did.

He's one of those guys I made a mental note to delve more into but never did. Course, mental notes in my head is like sticking a magnet to a tree.

Will give Blue Sky on Mars a listen today. :thumbup:

The Dreaded Marco said:
5-ish Finkle said:
It did.

I actually remember this song.

Mister CIA said:
Not all hits, not all one-hit wonders, not necessarily the first time posted in this thread, and there's even a song from 2004 mixed in.

The Connells Stone Cold Yesterday

Love Battery Between the Eyes

Soul Asylum Somebody to Shove

Mazzy Star Halah ... Would still commit crimes to just to please Hope Sandoval

Screaming Trees Dollar Bill ... Wore out Sweet Oblivion way back when

Screaming Trees Winter Song

Social Distortion Winners and Losers

The Cramps Bikini Girls with Machine Guns

Dinosaur Jr Start Choppin'

Grant Lee Buffalo Mockingbirds

Cracker Been Around the World ... Probably the Cracker song I've played most

Cracker Teen Angst ... I still remember where I was the first time I heard this song. Sitting on a couch drinking beer.

Izzy Stradlin and the JuJu Hounds Shuffle it All
HA! The Connells! I haven't heard that name in a long long time. I have a CD of theirs I stole from this DB who lived on our floor freshman year.

With you on Sweet Oblivion. I had that tape and warped it.

FattyVM said:
Alright Sf, Spin Doctor's - Two Princes?
DIAF
####### really? I call bull####.
I think the direction this thread is going is to mention songs that hold up well, perhaps were forgotten gems or don't evoke nausea upon mention. Two Princes was played to death, sounds like cats screwing today and just thinking about their lead singer makes me want to barf.

Might as well mention Hootie and The #######s or The Goo Goo Dolls if you're going to go down this road.

FattyVM said:
DIAF
I think the direction this thread is going is to mention songs that hold up well, perhaps were forgotten gems or don't evoke nausea upon mention. Two Princes was played to death, sounds like cats screwing today and just thinking about their lead singer makes me want to barf.

Might as well mention Hootie and The #######s or The Goo Goo Dolls if you're going to go down this road.
Both of which are infinitely better than Spin Doctors.

saintfool said:
i was a big fan of his back in the day. while i liked "girlfriend", i was more impressed with the follow up called "altered beast". i especially dug "time capsule", "ugly truth" and "dinosaur act".
/SweetChat enabled

Yeah, I wasn't ever really what you'd call a fan of power pop, but Sweet was(is) an exception. I enjoyed his stuff pretty much from jump. Altered Beast was a really good LP too, particularly "Ugly Truth" and "Time Capsule." It was sort of all over the place the first time I heard it, but after listening to it a few times you could start to see the thread between the tracks. Where, with Girflfriend, it was pretty clear from the first listen how the whole album sort of meshed together.

I can take or leave most of 100% Fun, and while I never liked "Sick of Myself" much, that could have more to do with it being rammed into the ground by just about every kind of even remotely "rock" station on the planet/MTV/etc. at the time.

I haven't kept up on his more recent stuff. I should probably put catching up with it on my list.

Will give Blue Sky on Mars a listen today. :thumbup:
I think you'll probably dig it. "Where You Get Love", "Into Your Drug", "Behind the Smile"....pretty good stuff.

FattyVM said:
DIAF

I agree, but the thread title is one hit wonders of the 90's. Two princes fits. Hootie and the Goo Goo Dolls are neither.

FattyVM said:
DIAF

I agree, but the thread title is one hit wonders of the 90's. Two princes fits. Hootie and the Goo Goo Dolls are neither.
I want to reiterate that your argument is crap. Rucker, Hootie and the goo goo dolls have multiple top 10 hits, and have done them over the span of two decades. Tell me where I screwed the pooch.

Here are the two I posted many pages back without links . . .

Eve 6, Inside Out (not nearly as good as I remembered)

The Railway Children, Collide (better than I remembered)

The Connells' best song IMO was Over There (late 80s though).

The good Spin Doctors song, while recognizing that they're pretty much not the droids this thread was looking for, was Jimmy Olsen's Blues (which many people think is called Pocket Full of Kryptonite). Much better than Two Princes, which I never much liked and makes me stabby now, and Little Miss Can't Be Wrong. On JOB, the bass player does a nearly nonstop slap and pop line that's unusual to hear, to say the least, in rock/pop.

FattyVM said:
DIAF

Little Miss Can't Be Wrong charted about the same as Two Princes did. And the follow-up album a few years later went platinum and charted nearly as high in the UK as the debut album. Like them or die-in-a-fire them, they weren't one-hit wonders.

FattyVM said:
DIAF

I agree, but the thread title is ALTERNATIVE one hit wonders of the 90's. Two princes fits. Hootie and the Goo Goo Dolls are neither.
Fyp

saintfool said:
/SweetChat enabled

Yeah, I wasn't ever really what you'd call a fan of power pop, but Sweet was(is) an exception. I enjoyed his stuff pretty much from jump. Altered Beast was a really good LP too, particularly "Ugly Truth" and "Time Capsule." It was sort of all over the place the first time I heard it, but after listening to it a few times you could start to see the thread between the tracks. Where, with Girflfriend, it was pretty clear from the first listen how the whole album sort of meshed together.

I can take or leave most of 100% Fun, and while I never liked "Sick of Myself" much, that could have more to do with it being rammed into the ground by just about every kind of even remotely "rock" station on the planet/MTV/etc. at the time.

I haven't kept up on his more recent stuff. I should probably put catching up with it on my list
In Reverse and Kimi Ga Suki are both solid albums too .

FattyVM said:
DIAF

I want to reiterate that your argument is crap. Rucker, Hootie and the goo goo dolls have multiple top 10 hits, and have done them over the span of two decades. Tell me where I screwed the pooch.
The terribleness of the Spin Doctors is so transcendent that it should be self-evident to you where you "screwed the pooch". Mentioning them introduces nostalgia for homicidal urges, mostly.

And if you want to be a pedantic dip#### in terms of the "one hit wonder" thing, the Spin Doctors aren't even that, as they also charted with Little Miss Can't be Wrong, another abortion of a song.

FattyVM said:
DIAF

Their terribleness of the Spin Doctors is so transcendent that it should be self-evident to you where you "screwed the pooch". Mentioning them introduces nostalgia for homicidal urges, mostly.

And if you want to be a pedantic dip#### in terms of the "one hit wonder" thing, the Spin Doctors aren't even that, as they also charted with Little Miss Can't be Wrong, another abortion of a song.
Jesus. Compare that to either of the two other bands (You didn't mention the other bands Longhorn I take this back) mentioned, or a fourth of the bands in this thread. 17'th on the US charts is the song you point out as a hit, which was the LEAD to the number one charting song of the band? Yea. I deserved the enmity. #blowme

FattyVM said:
DIAF

Their terribleness of the Spin Doctors is so transcendent that it should be self-evident to you where you "screwed the pooch". Mentioning them introduces nostalgia for homicidal urges, mostly.

Jesus. Compare that to either of the two other bands you mentioned, or a fourth of the bands in this thread. 17'th on the US charts? As the LEAD to the number one charting song of the band? Yea. I deserved the enmity. #blowme
You certainly are sensitive.

:lmao:

RL is correct here. The Spin Doctors are not worth remembering, at all. No redeeming characteristics and they do not stand the test of time. Same boat as Crash Test Dummies. Please, let's don't.

I actually liked this thread until I unintentionally de-railed it, I promise I'll refrain from contributing if we can get back to the stuff I enjoyed.

Users who are viewing this thread