What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Time to deem Big BEN... (1 Viewer)

QB11

Footballguy
Last year missed 4 games for injury

This year will miss ?? games for injury

PROBLEM: doesn't have "in-pocket" footwork moves ala Montana, Favre or Brady.

RESULT: Stands upright in pocket and receives many unprotected BIG hits (similar to upright RB style)

"Injury-prone" note should be added to future fantasy draft information.

I've said he was injury-prone for a while...

I don't know what it is with this guy. He keeps getting injured. He keeps seeing doctors. Keeps having surgery. Keeps missing games. And yet, every story is always written with an upbeat, positive spin about it all - as if "yup, just a minor thing, we can rely on him coming back no problem."You look at this coverage and it seems like, if it was almost any other player, with THIS much of a history of spending time with his doctors, the top concern would be how injury-prone he is and how you can't trust him to stay healthy. :shrug:
Getting appendicitis has nothing to do with being injury prone. Actually neither does getting involved in traffic accident.The kid has missed some games but over the last 2 years no QB has won more games. That's really all that matters...

Based on that criteria, please also label these qb's "injury prone":

Matt Hasselbeck

Mike Vick

Steve McNair

Rex Grossman

Byron Leftwich

Trent Green

Daunte Culpepper

Chad Pennington

Donovan McNabb

Marc Bulger

Aaron Brooks

Chris Simms

Brian Griese

Kyle Boller

Kurt Warner

TIA

Missed 1 game his rookie year, mostly due to having the division and home field wrapped up. His injury was a cheap shot to the ribs by a Raven in week #15.

Missed 4 games due to knee injuries his second year.

His third year he gets into a motorcyle accident and has an appendix problem that causes him to miss 1 game that is non football related.

And the concussion may not cause him to miss any games and almost any player in the NFL who gets hit directly on the chin will get a concussion.

I fail to see the injury prone talk. It is a media driven story. They watch his every move, if he shakes his elbow during warmups they report it at the top of every hour, when he hit his hand off a helmet this preseason it was news at every hour. When he had a fever ESPN reports 104 instead of 100.4.

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on that criteria, please also label these qb's "injury prone":Matt HasselbeckMike VickSteve McNairRex GrossmanByron LeftwichTrent GreenDaunte CulpepperChad PenningtonDonovan McNabbMarc BulgerAaron Brooks Chris SimmsBrian GrieseKyle BollerKurt WarnerTIA
Don't forget Palmer, he didn't finish his year #2 from a knee injury and of course last year's injury.And Hasselback has missed a few games over the years too.

Agree with 3C's list of injury-prone QB's.

Big Ben has the mobility, IMO, he just needs to respect NFL toughness & speed, and use his mobilty to create the space to make his throws...

...i.e. standing upright and throwing a medium deep middle passs on a middle blitz = injury report

one more point (forgive my own reply)...

Tom Brady's "pocket footwork" is AWESOME to watch as he creates space to make his throws. Not sure who taught him these moves, but the moves look ALOT like Montana and keep him playing from Sunday to Sunday!

one more point (forgive my own reply)...Tom Brady's "pocket footwork" is AWESOME to watch as he creates space to make his throws. Not sure who taught him these moves, but the moves look ALOT like Montana and keep him playing from Sunday to Sunday!
Brady's childhood hero was Montana, and as you know kids try to imitate their heroes, so its no suprsise.

j3r3m3y: maybe alittle early to deem him not a good FF QB.

If he could stay healthy, he's got a great arm with very good accuracy, on an offense with a fast 15-20 carry RB (i.e. need to pass more).

j3r3m3y: maybe alittle early to deem him not a good FF QB. If he could stay healthy, he's got a great arm with very good accuracy, on an offense with a fast 15-20 carry RB (i.e. need to pass more).
When sorted by PPG he is ranked 25 in my league.That isn't even a valid backup.

Missed 1 game his rookie year, mostly due to having the division and home field wrapped up. His injury was a cheap shot to the ribs by a Raven in week #15.Missed 4 games due to knee injuries his second year.His third year he gets into a motorcyle accident and has an appendix problem that causes him to miss 1 game that is non football related.And the concussion may not cause him to miss any games and almost any player in the NFL who gets hit directly on the chin will get a concussion.I fail to see the injury prone talk. It is a media driven story. They watch his every move, if he shakes his elbow during warmups they report it at the top of every hour, when he hit his hand off a helmet this preseason it was news at every hour. When he had a fever ESPN reports 104 instead of 100.4.
This is what I like to read. Thanks a lot for foiling a foolish statement.
j3r3m3y: maybe alittle early to deem him not a good FF QB. If he could stay healthy, he's got a great arm with very good accuracy, on an offense with a fast 15-20 carry RB (i.e. need to pass more).
You're only supposed to quote yourself when you're showing everyone that you said something before it was accepted fact (i.e. - prediction). Reclaiming a fallacious statement isn't really doing anything.Did you realize that the last two games he's had a QB rating of 150 and averaged 238/2.5TD/0INT? And his offense put up 45pts on one of the highest ranked (deserved or not) defenses in the league in KC and 38 on a stout ATL defense that went into OT?Do you watch football or just make outlandish statements?

Last edited:
Every player in the league is injury prone, it's a collision sport.

Now if Betty Secretary strained a pec while reaching for the phone, then got her finger jammed in the coffee maker...

Based on that criteria, please also label these qb's "injury prone":Matt HasselbeckMike VickSteve McNairRex GrossmanByron LeftwichTrent GreenDaunte CulpepperChad PenningtonDonovan McNabbMarc BulgerAaron Brooks Chris SimmsBrian GrieseKyle BollerKurt WarnerTIA
And lets not leave out Carson Palmer. :rolleyes: Seriously, this is the dumbest thread Ive seen in a while. Going 40 mph off a windshield and requiring surgery doesnt mean your injury prone. Stupid? Yes. Injury prone? No.

Thanks for the info. On my draft list I sometimes forget which football players can get hurt and which ones don't. This pretty much solidifies my decision to draft Gibran Hamdan as my QB next season instead of Ben. Because I figure he'll never get a shot to get into the game thus he'll be healthy all season, especially during the crucial weeks of the playoffs. Of course if Hasselbeck and Seneca Wallace go down I'm really screwed... but hey, that's what fantasy football is all about... taking risks.

Edit....

Just noticed in another thread that it looks like Brodie Croyle will get the start with KC. Which means he has a chance of getting hurt. Make sure you stay away from him next year in the early rounds as it looks like Green and Huard are so injury prone that they put Croyle in a position to be injury prone too.

Last year missed 4 games for injuryThis year will miss ?? games for injuryPROBLEM: doesn't have "in-pocket" footwork moves ala Montana, Favre or Brady.RESULT: Stands upright in pocket and receives many unprotected BIG hits (similar to upright RB style)"Injury-prone" note should be added to future fantasy draft information.
I think that your analysis is completely wrong and unfounded.Ben has very good pocket presence. He senses the rush, will step up when necessary, and then if he has to, abandon the pocket, all while still looking down field. For a big guy, he seems quite nimble back there.As far as injury prone, preceding posts have negated that contention. He has not demonstrated a proneness to injury from what I have seen.

So far, in the past 4 months, he's done a nose dive off a windshield and almost died, had his appendix burst, and gotten a concussion and has missed 1 game.

Every QB should be so "injury prone."

So far, in the past 4 months, he's done a nose dive off a windshield and almost died, had his appendix burst, and gotten a concussion and has missed 1 game.Every QB should be so "injury prone."
:goodposting: Given what he has been through prior to and so far this season, I would say he is one tough kid to make it through all that and miss 1 game. Being a QB in the NFL is "injury prone" in and of itself, every QB and every player out there has a chance of being taken out of the game at any given moment; that's the nature of the NFL. I wouldn't say he is more injury prone than anyone else. As far as FF goes, he's my backup QB he scored 25 points last week which was more than my "injury prone" Hasselback's 12 pts so I say he is more than a viable back-up.

So far, in the past 4 months, he's done a nose dive off a windshield and almost died, had his appendix burst, and gotten a concussion and has missed 1 game.Every QB should be so "injury prone."
Actually I would prefer qbs on my team not to have any of these sort of injuries at all, but maybe that is just me...

Matt Hasselbeck

Mike Vick

Steve McNair

Rex Grossman

Byron Leftwich

Trent Green

Daunte Culpepper

Chad Pennington

Donovan McNabb

Marc Bulger

Aaron Brooks

Chris Simms

Brian Griese

Kyle Boller

Kurt Warner

TIA
His criteria may not have been the best, so you have a point. But let's try a different criteria. We'll start by calling Ben injury-prone. He becomes a candidate to lose that label when he plays a full season and does not miss a game. He has never done that in his career.

I fail to see the injury prone talk. It is a media driven story.
A media driven story? The media constantly makes excuses for his injuries. Every single time he gets hurt, they talk about his amazing healing powers or something and how he bounces back so well. Meanwhile, he keeps missing games.

Matt Hasselbeck

Mike Vick

Steve McNair

Rex Grossman

Byron Leftwich

Trent Green

Daunte Culpepper

Chad Pennington

Donovan McNabb

Marc Bulger

Aaron Brooks

Chris Simms

Brian Griese

Kyle Boller

Kurt Warner

TIA
His criteria may not have been the best, so you have a point. But let's try a different criteria. We'll start by calling Ben injury-prone. He becomes a candidate to lose that label when he plays a full season and does not miss a game. He has never done that in his career.
So, by this logic, every single QB in the league is injury-prone, save for Manning and Brady?

Every player in the league is injury prone, it's a collision sport.
Like I say, give me the list of current starting QBs who have never played a full season.
This is the dumbest f'n criteria I have ever seen. So, by this rationale, if Bulger finishes out this season, he's a candidate to become "no longer injury prone", but Roethlisberger, who has played through all these injuries, and missed a total of 6 games in 3 years (what Bulger misses on average each season almost) is not?Come on, man. You were warned about pissing in Steeler threads.

For all those who think ALL QB's should be considered "injury-prone"...

Short list of iron-man QB's:

B. Favre

P. Manning

T. Brady

J. Delhomme

E. Manning

J. Plummer

D. Carr

Ben is injury prone. He dealt with his thumb injury every game of his career, and played with a splint more often then not,really hurting his deep ball. He's had his rib, knees, and head dinged up. The sign of a good player though is being able to coup and play through minor injuries which is what Ben has always shown he's willing and able to do. There’s a difference between being injury prone and hurting your team or fantasy value because of injuries.

BGP said:

Matt Hasselbeck

Mike Vick

Steve McNair

Rex Grossman

Byron Leftwich

Trent Green

Daunte Culpepper

Chad Pennington

Donovan McNabb

Marc Bulger

Aaron Brooks

Chris Simms

Brian Griese

Kyle Boller

Kurt Warner

TIA
Dude, you should take a statistics class. This statement means nothing. Hes been in the NFL for 2.5 years. Hardly a big enough sample size. If not for an unfortunate ACCIDENT, he would most likely be perfectly healthy right now. You love to tweak the facts to cater to your point, which never hold any water.

QB11 said:
Agree with 3C's list of injury-prone QB's.

Big Ben has the mobility, IMO, he just needs to respect NFL toughness & speed, and use his mobilty to create the space to make his throws...

...i.e. standing upright and throwing a medium deep middle passs on a middle blitz = injury report
Brilliant! Somebody please call the Steelers and have them teach Ben how to throw the ball from a squatting position instead of standing upright.

B. Favre

P. Manning

T. Brady

J. Delhomme

E. Manning

J. Plummer

D. Carr
What's really amazing about Carr is over his career he's been sacked more times than potatoes. Now that's an Ironman. You also left off:D. Brees

D. Bledsoe

J. Kitna

A. Brooks (this season was the 1st time he's ever been hurt. Played 16 games in 4 straight seasons)

Probably some others I am forgetting.

Steeler homers take the cake. Philly, Dallas, New England, Chicago, Oakland... there are some homers out there but you homers are the best.

Is there something you wont defend?

Ben is injury-prone. It's as simple as that. The next time the candybone plays 16 games in a season will be the first. It doesn't matter how, when or why he gets injured -- the bottom line is that he does.

You think Trent Green's injury-prone for getting his coonut jacked up off the turf or getting his knee plowed into late by a safety?

There's no defending consistency, and Ben defines it. Consistently on the sidelines.

Missed 1 game his rookie year, mostly due to having the division and home field wrapped up. His injury was a cheap shot to the ribs by a Raven in week #15.Missed 4 games due to knee injuries his second year.His third year he gets into a motorcyle accident and has an appendix problem that causes him to miss 1 game that is non football related.And the concussion may not cause him to miss any games and almost any player in the NFL who gets hit directly on the chin will get a concussion.I fail to see the injury prone talk. It is a media driven story. They watch his every move, if he shakes his elbow during warmups they report it at the top of every hour, when he hit his hand off a helmet this preseason it was news at every hour. When he had a fever ESPN reports 104 instead of 100.4.
This is what I like to read. Thanks a lot for foiling a foolish statement.
You're only supposed to quote yourself when you're showing everyone that you said something before it was accepted fact (i.e. - prediction). Reclaiming a fallacious statement isn't really doing anything.Did you realize that the last two games he's had a QB rating of 150 and averaged 238/2.5TD/0INT? And his offense put up 45pts on one of the highest ranked (deserved or not) defenses in the league in KC and 38 on a stout ATL defense that went into OT?Do you watch football or just make outlandish statements?
I didn't quote myself, try reading.Yes, I watch football.What part of the following statement is "outlandish"?"When sorted by PPG he is ranked 25 in my league, that isn't even a valid backup."I am sorry if facts disturb you, but 2 good games does not a stud make.

Steeler homers take the cake. Philly, Dallas, New England, Chicago, Oakland... there are some homers out there but you homers are the best.

Ben is injury-prone. It's as simple as that. The next time the candybone plays 16 games in a season will be the first. It doesn't matter how, when or why he gets injured -- the bottom line is that he does.

You think Trent Green's injury-prone for getting his coonut jacked up off the turf or getting his knee plowed into late by a safety?

There's no defending consistency, and Ben defines it. Consistently on the sidelines.
Steeler fans do defend themselves quite often on this board, BUT they are constantly put in that position with cheap shots like this thread.

Steeler fans do defend themselves quite often on this board, BUT they are constantly put in that position with cheap shots like this thread.
It's a simple truth.Shame that gets under such thin skin.If the title was, "Time to deem Big BEN... overrated", I might agree with you (even though I'd agree with the thread title).But injury-prone? Geez. Grow a set.

The original posting and the basis of this thread seems shortsighted. Has Roethlisberger missed games? Yes. Is he injury prone? Not anymore than any other player that puts it all on the line. This thread topic is nothing more than inane blather.

A QB getting hit in the leg does not make him injury prone. Thats just unfortunate. This is a foolish, foolish statement.

B. Favre

P. Manning

T. Brady

J. Delhomme

E. Manning

J. Plummer

D. Carr
What's really amazing about Carr is over his career he's been sacked more times than potatoes. Now that's an Ironman. You also left off:D. Brees

D. Bledsoe

J. Kitna

A. Brooks (this season was the 1st time he's ever been hurt. Played 16 games in 4 straight seasons)

Wondering if McNair would fit in the iron man catagory. I love the joke about him having died but being listed as questionable on the injury report.

No, missing games from getting hit in the leg does not make him injury prone either.
On what planet does missing games every single year of your career make you NOT injury-prone?Keep making excuses. But realize that he's an injury-prone player BY DEFINITION until he stops missing football games DUE TO INJURY.

It's a simple truth.Shame that gets under such thin skin.

If the title was, "Time to deem Big BEN... overrated", I might agree with you (even though I'd agree with the thread title).

But injury-prone? Geez. Grow a set.
Good posting.FFwise he is overrated. But I would love to have him in Miami.

No, missing games from getting hit in the leg does not make him injury prone either.
On what planet does missing games every single year of your career make you NOT injury-prone?Keep making excuses. But realize that he's an injury-prone player BY DEFINITION until he stops missing football games DUE TO INJURY.
"Every single year of his career?" Come on pal. Hes been playing for 2.5 years. If, after his 10, 12, 14 year career, hes missed games every season, then that might be a different story.I am not making excuses as my comment was a generalization of all players and not Roethlisberger. But going head first off a windshield is not being injury-prone BY DEFINITION. Thats the definition of an ACCIDENT. Again, stupid, but not injury-prone. That is not how its defined!!Carson Palmer going down last season is not the definition of being injury-prone. He was in the wrong place at the wrong time and it was an unfortunate accident. Joey Porter getting shot in the ### does not make him injury prone. Again, an accident.

B. Favre

P. Manning

T. Brady

J. Delhomme

E. Manning

J. Plummer

D. Carr

D. Bledsoe

J. Kitna

Wondering if McNair would fit in the iron man catagory. I love the joke about him having died but being listed as questionable on the injury report.
McNair was a soldier in his heyday. Seems like he was always injured, but managed to stay in the game. Even so, he managed to miss games here and there. IIRC, when he was co-MVP a couple of seasons ago he even missed a couple of games.As for the thread topic, it's far too early to call Big Ben injury prone, but I would be at least slightly worried going forward if I was a Steelers fan. Not something worth losing sleep about, but something to keep in the back of the mind for awhile and see if Ben can string some healthy periods together in his next few seasons.

Leftwich is a QB that I am starting to think is "injury prone," but even with him its hard to say for certain so soon in his career. I certainly think he deserves the label more than Ben at this point.

Carson Palmer going down last season is not the definition of being injury-prone. He was in the wrong place at the wrong time and it was an unfortunate accident. Joey Porter getting shot in the ### does not make him injury prone. Again, an accident.
Your examples are terrible.Carson Palmer - 2.5 seasons - 1 cheap-shot (and only one game missed)Joey Porter - 7.5 seasons - 4x 16 games, 2x 15 games, 1x 14 gamesBen Roethlisberger - 2.5 seasons - multiple injuries, multiple gamesPalmer's played the same time and not been injured nearly as much. Porter's played three times the time Roethlisberger has and still has only comparable history.

Carson Palmer going down last season is not the definition of being injury-prone. He was in the wrong place at the wrong time and it was an unfortunate accident. Joey Porter getting shot in the ### does not make him injury prone. Again, an accident.
Your examples are terrible.Carson Palmer - 2.5 seasons - 1 cheap-shot (and only one game missed)

Joey Porter - 7.5 seasons - 4x 16 games, 2x 15 games, 1x 14 games

Ben Roethlisberger - 2.5 seasons - multiple injuries, multiple games

Palmer's played the same time and not been injured nearly as much. Porter's played three times the time Roethlisberger has and still has only comparable history.
:rolleyes: I was expecting this out of you. As for Ben, he is two inches away from dying, takes a face plant off a windshield, broken jaw, emergency appendectomy, head on head contact in Atlanta that leaves him seeing stars and only misses one game thus far. I only hope all QBs can be so "injury prone".

It's a simple truth.Shame that gets under such thin skin.If the title was, "Time to deem Big BEN... overrated", I might agree with you (even though I'd agree with the thread title).But injury-prone? Geez. Grow a set.
Sorry Jacket,You are going to have to do a lot more than that to get under my skin. I'm certainly not a Steelers fan (I follow the Seahawks). It has become all too common for some posters to take blanket shots at other teams fan base. I am simlpy giving an unbiased opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread