What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Titans Draft Options-- Article (1 Viewer)

Chaos Commish

Footballguy
This is the type of article I like to find.At least GM Floyd Reese is talking about his options instead of some pundit.On the top three:
"I think at this point, those guys are probably as highly rated as a top group that has come out in a while. They all look to be great players,'' Reese said yesterday. "Now what happens two or three years from now, of course we don't know."But you have two Heisman Trophy winners, and all three have won a national championship. You start listing all the things that would classify you as a 'star' and probably those three guys have more of those than any three have come out in a while.''
Keeping that value as high as possible, because trading down is definitely an option:
Of course, if someone is willing to pay, then of course there is a price. Those spots can always be bought, it just depends on how much you want to pay,'' said Reese, before bringing up the 1999 trade when the Saints traded all their draft picks — and two more in '00 — to pick running back Ricky Williams."You get a Ricky Williams kind of trade or something like that. … I imagine you have to move down and take a look at those things.''
Obviously he has to have high praise for any of the top three players. He has third pick and wants them all perceived as franchise grade future stars. But, again Jay Cutler's name is popping up, and again, I get the notion (reading between the lines) that Leinart is not highly coveted by Norm Chow's team. Of course, the exact opposite can be read between the lines. On Cutler:
"I think before the workouts, I think he is probably projected about the third (QB) in the draft,'' Reese said of Cutler. "Now what happens after workouts is of course a different story. He is probably a pretty good blend between Young and Leinart. I think he will (climb).''

I like that he is keeping the options open, but unless someone is willing to pay through the gills I just can't see them not taking Young (if availiable). If Young isn't there, I think the scamper to make a trade... but won't have to for too long. Someone will be willing to pay for the pick.

Is there any way Bush makes it to the Titans? I am looking at this scenario:Texans -> Young because of Carr trade, etc.Saints -> Leinhart. Already have Deuce, and no QB. Have to go QB here.Titans -> already with McNair and Volek, and an injury-prone Brown, take Bush and let Henry walk ... probably will anyway.What are the chances?

Is there any way Bush makes it to the Titans? I am looking at this scenario:

Texans -> Young because of Carr trade, etc.

Saints -> Leinhart. Already have Deuce, and no QB. Have to go QB here.

Titans -> already with McNair and Volek, and an injury-prone Brown, take Bush and let Henry walk ... probably will anyway.

What are the chances?
Rice paper thinIf Bush is there at #3 they'll trade down - I could easily see the Titans try for a back in the George mold if they wanted one - but they really should pick up a replacement for the linemen that will depart

Titans -> already with McNair and Volek, and an injury-prone Brown, take Bush and let Henry walk ... probably will anyway.

What are the chances?
Rice paper thinIf Bush is there at #3 they'll trade down - I could easily see the Titans try for a back in the George mold if they wanted one - but they really should pick up a replacement for the linemen that will depart
Disagree. If Bush is there, the Titans take him. Brown still struggles with his health, and Henry may not be with them. Chow has called Bush the best football player he has ever seen. Bush has three years in Chow's offense, and they were pretty impressive years. No way they pass on him. People argue that Bush isn't an every down back. If he goes to the Titans those people would all see how wrong they were, and Reggie would be a fantasy stud. (imho)

If Bush is there at #3 they'll trade down - I could easily see the Titans try for a back in the George mold if they wanted one - but they really should pick up a replacement for the linemen that will depart
What makes you think the Titans favor a back in the George mold? Just because they had Eddie George doesn't mean they want a clone. Having said that, I do think Pittsburgh wants a RB of a specific type (Bettis) for their power running game. They prefer that style of play, but I'm not so sure this applies to the Titans.

Is there any way Bush makes it to the Titans?  I am looking at this scenario:

Saints -> Leinhart.  Already have Deuce, and no QB.  Have to go QB here.

What are the chances?
Disagree. If Bush is there, the Titans take him. Brown still struggles with his health, and Henry may not be with them. Chow has called Bush the best football player he has ever seen. Bush has three years in Chow's offense, and they were pretty impressive years. No way they pass on him. People argue that Bush isn't an every down back. If he goes to the Titans those people would all see how wrong they were, and Reggie would be a fantasy stud. (imho)
Norman Chow is the OC, he has to convince Fisher who has to convince Reese.

What are the chances?
:thumbup: I just don't think this would be a tough sell. ;)

May not be a tough sell for Fisher - but I think both Reese and Fisher is concerned about losing 60% of the line.

If Bush is there at #3 they'll trade down - I could easily see the Titans try for a back in the George mold if they wanted one - but they really should pick up a replacement for the linemen that will depart
What makes you think the Titans favor a back in the George mold? Just because they had Eddie George doesn't mean they want a clone. Having said that, I do think Pittsburgh wants a RB of a specific type (Bettis) for their power running game. They prefer that style of play, but I'm not so sure this applies to the Titans.
chicken or the egg.Were the Titans a power running team because they had George or did they get George because they were or wanted to be a power running team under Fisher.

I go with the egg.

And I don't think they want a George clone (running upright etc) but a tough between the tackles runner to mix in with Brown. Henry should have fit that bill exactly but he will likely not be back (weed smoking moron that he is :hot: :rant: ) - I could see them going after another castoff in FA for that job though

May not be a tough sell for Fisher - but I think both Reese and Fisher is concerned about losing 60% of the line.
Fair enough. Tennessee did give up a 3rd rounder for Henry. So, trading down for more picks could be a very good option. However, they had a huge loss in free agency last year, and I'm pretty sure they'll be handed four compensatory picks, and two of them (Rolle, Mason) will be third rounders. This is a great year to stockpile some nice OLs at the end of the third round... I think. If Kiper's mock is at all accurate, then definitely.

Fair enough. Tennessee did give up a 3rd rounder for Henry. So, trading down for more picks could be a very good option. However, they had a huge loss in free agency last year, and I'm pretty sure they'll be handed four compensatory picks, and two of them (Rolle, Mason) will be third rounders. This is a great year to stockpile some nice OLs at the end of the third round... I think. If Kiper's mock is at all accurate, then definitely.
I was wondering about that. Do you really get compensation picks when you cut a player that is under contract because of his cap value - or do you only get compensation picks when you are unable to sign an unrestricted FA from your team because of cap? I know they got for Kearse - who was not cut IIRC.If you get compensation for cutting players doesn;t that encourage cap idiocy?

I was wondering about that. Do you really get compensation picks when you cut a player that is under contract because of his cap value - or do you only get compensation picks when you are unable to sign an unrestricted FA from your team because of cap? I know they got for Kearse - who was not cut IIRC.If you get compensation for cutting players doesn;t that encourage cap idiocy?
I've been looking into this. I want to try to project the compensatories before they are announced. :excited: :bag: Were both Mason and Rolle cut? I have a list of all the free agency movement, and checking back on each player is a daunting task. The best explanation of compensatories I have found is here, but it doesn't mention cut free agents. I don't think they should qualify, but I haven't tried to confirm that yet. Anybody know?

Regardless of Rolle and Mason, Tennesse has a big net loss of FAs and will get compensatories. Maybe not the sweet third rounders if Rolle and Mason didn't qualify.

eta-- fix link and answer question. Yes, Rolle and Mason were cut. They are listed on an nfl.com page as part of free agency departures, but I don't think that's the case.

Last edited by a moderator:

What are the chances?
no props for lendale white?? he's the darkhorse to go to Tenn..Fisher loves bigger backs like him and eddie george..

What are the chances?
no props for lendale white?? he's the darkhorse to go to Tenn..Fisher loves bigger backs like him and eddie george..
Not at #3, not with Bush on the board (too much value in trading down with someone desperate for Bush)

If Bush were available at #3, the Titans card would be up to the podium quicker than Joe can insult a Patriot fan. ;)Kidding Joe.

Users who are viewing this thread