What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Titans New Throwbacks (1 Viewer)

Texans fans are trying to rewrite history and most people are not having it.
I don't necessarily understand all that went into the thinking but their version is so far untrue it's obvious.
I strongly think it has to do with the incredibly rich history of Texas football and having other options. Last year, a buddy of mine enjoyed HS football then college and was pretty non chalant about the Titans Texans game. This guy will talk so much smack all off-season and in camp, but during the season...it's not as big a deal every single year- Watt-ever their record is. I'm telling ya a lot of Texans fans are similar.

Bud was sharing the stadium with the Astros and paying rent to their owner. He (who lived there) failed to get a new stadium tax passed over n over. He threatened to leave and the votes always failed. After maybe ten years they moved to Tennessee. Houston fans were given opportunities over n over to fund a stadium.

Dallas Texans are now the Chiefs. Zero people in Houston seem to care about that team's history or the name.
They did not care anywhere near the amount that's been publicly stated recently.

Sammie Baugh is a Texas legend that travelled the state in his older years but ....he didn't visit Houston so often.
Earl Campbell is in Dallas or at the Cowboys stadium so often that I've heard Cowboys fans point out they rarely see this former Cowboy or that one.
They have an unusual wealth of former star linemen that aren't as adored in Houston as they are Tennessee.

That's really really weird to me. Idk how to explain it other than it's probably just because there's so much good football- I'm sure they remember em' fondly but the level of adoration is soooo much lower than I've ever seen elsewhere.
Did ya see the Jerry Jones quote about the "luv ya blue" uniforms? Why is anyone asking him? It's real weird.

Why does Earl Campbell have an unofficial pass to visit every Titans practice or game and attend a few with Henry every year?

The Tennessee Oilers were a team briefly before the Tennessee Titans. I don't wanna shine on this naming trademark stuff at all but let me use this for a sec. There were fans that loved the Oilers, stayed fans when they moved to Tennessee then either continued to be fans or changed to the Texans franchise when they were an expansion team.
If some fanbase is going to claim a jersey- the ones that stuck with the team through these years should be able to and...they're Titans fans now.
The ones that stayed and then converted to Texans fans surely had their own thoughts before switching. They're in the same division so they even had those thoughts twice per year AND chose to be Texans fans.

The Titans announced an official agreement thru the NFL to wear these every year instead of their color rush jersey. The NFL spokesperson said no other franchise (Texans!) has ever petitioned the league for these uniforms. Sooo even when they could write an email or make a phone call, they did not.

Idk what it was and it is hard to explain exactly but there has always been a curious lack of interest.

There's no better player to wear Luv Ya Blue than Derrick Henry. The recent gripes have just been round one. Wait til he smashes some defenders and looks just like ol Earl in a game this year; that will definitely stir up the old time fans and there will be a round two to this discussion.

The Titans had the largest increase in fans when Mariota was drafted and when the Rams moved to LA. I don't know that I've ever seen or will ever see a big influx like that ever again without a team moving or expansion team.
I think it's "fair" for Texans fans to discredit Titans fans from Hawaii or St Louis in this debate but that's what 10 percent of the fanbase?

Well, the majority of Tennessee fans never wanted the brand/uniform when the Oilers got there. They wanted a brand of their own. It meant something to Bud Adams as a founder of an original AFL team, so Paul Tagliabue intervened and promised to retire the name and they became the Titans. This is the sticking point of the argument now. Tennessee didn't care about the brand, but it means a great deal to the ownership group. The Texans can't just buy it, if they ever even wanted to do so.

In the 90s, few people in Houston or Tennessee seemed to care much about the name or uniform. Houston was fed up with Bud Adams and his constant threats and flirtations with other cities. There had been recent improvements on the Astrodome a few years earlier after threats to move to Jacksonville. Adams wasn't well-liked by this time for his threats and for firing Bum Phillips a decade-and-half earlier, and the monumental playoff collapses of the early 90s certainly didn't help win support in the city. Mayor Bob Lanier wasn't any help and deserves his share of the blame as well for taking a hard-line approach with Adams. I firmly believe if one of those early 90s teams had broken through, they'd still be here. Joe Montana didn't just beat the Oilers, he KILLED the Oilers. Bud then traded Warren Moon, and it all fell apart.

Personally, I think it sucks. I hated it then and I hate it now. I loved my dysfunctional team, hence my username. But the vibe here back then was "good riddance." Almost completely apathetic. To most of Houston, Bud Adams was a slimeball. It's sort of like we ran him out with no support, and then gladly supported a new owner/team and built a stadium just to stick it in his face. Over time, nostalgia has crept in and the throwbacks seem to be a slap back in our face from the Adams family.

The Oilers died when they moved to Tennessee. Nobody wanted them. Not Houston, not Tennessee. To me, the uniform and history belong here in Houston, but I get both sides of the argument. I really do. There's no good precedent on keeping the name or leaving it behind. The Browns-Ravens deal is the one I wish we'd have gotten, but Houston lacked the massive support Cleveland displayed. The Rams kept their name. The Raiders have taken their name too. Baltimore? They never got their beloved Colts back. Perhaps the success of the Ravens has made it easier for them. Maybe if the Texans had more success, we wouldn't miss the Oilers so much or be so nostalgic now.

In retrospect, we should've fought harder to keep our brand. But it's also disgusting to see Tennessee now celebrating something they didn't want. To me, the Titans shouldn't be allowed to wear the uniform simply for making such a brutally hideous uniform out of something that was once so beautiful. But I get it. I do. I can respect the argument, and can still hate it.

Users who are viewing this thread