What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TO back in 2005 (Speculation) (1 Viewer)

McNair's (Texans owner) take on Owens

From http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3451298

"Texans owner Bob McNair would love to have a chance to acquire a lot of NFL players to help solve his problems, but Philadelphia receiver Terrell Owens is not one of them.

During a break in preparations for Sunday's game at unbeaten Indianapolis, McNair was asked if he would consider signing Owens once Philadelphia has washed its hands of him.

"He's almost dismantled the Eagles; why would you wish that on us?" McNair said with a laugh. "I've already got enough problems."
Owens couldn't help the Texans in the first place, nor would he want to play in Houston.

Here is the big difference between TO's situation and Keyshawn's.Keyshawn didn't fight it. He was deactivated and accepted it.TO was suspended, that is the penalty for his offense.Per collective bargaining TO cannot be penalized again for the offense.Philadelphia cannot keep him off their team after the suspension without releasing him. They can deactivate him on game days (coaches decision) but he is a member of that team until he is released.

Here is the big difference between TO's situation and Keyshawn's.

Keyshawn didn't fight it. He was deactivated and accepted it.

TO was suspended, that is the penalty for his offense.

Per collective bargaining TO cannot be penalized again for the offense.

Philadelphia cannot keep him off their team after the suspension without releasing him. They can deactivate him on game days (coaches decision) but he is a member of that team until he is released.
If Reid could have suspended him for the entire season, he would have. The deactivation is simply an extrension of the penalty. But if they make the Eagles take him back, and I were Reid, he'd be deactivated each week for the rest of the season.

I don't know why people keep using the word "law." For crying out loud, T.O. is in a labor dispute which involves interpretation of a collective bargaining contract. There are no laws involved. Thank you.
Pretty much the truth. However the labor dispute does revolve around a collective bargaining agreement which is a legally binding contract. And any difference in the intrepretation of this legal document will fall under contractual law and labor agreement law.But BigJim is right, no law has been broken. At best, there has been a breech of contract.
But breach of contract can lead to criminal actions through state regulations. Trust me, I have a friend who is a contractor (electric) and the state can file criminal charges on the failure to fulfill a contract agreement. Course we don't live in Philly so who knows?
So Pennsylvania may file criminal charges against the Eagles for paying a guy to do absolutely nothing? I mean my god, has this board gone totally insane?
Yes.And yes.
:lmao: :lmao: This is not worth continuing unless you can provide some proof that such a law exists, in Wyoming or Pennsylvania.
Can't speak about Wyoming, but in 20+ years of practicing law in Pennsylvania, I can guarantee I've never seen any suggestion that such a law exists here. The only way a contract breach can approach a criminal action is if there is evidence of fraudulent conduct--i.e., if a contractor takes a large down payment to undertake a job and then never takes any steps to perform, he may be guilty of theft by deception as well as breach of contract. However, it's not the breach which is criminal conduct, it's entering into a contract without intending to perform in order to get the money. It's purely speculation, but my guess is that the electrical contractor in Wyomng may be charged for criminal conduct if he breaches a contract by installing inferior products or otherwise jeopardizing peoples' lives, but, again, that would be a seperate criminal violation for those offenses. It is not breaching a contract which is criminal, it's the fact that the same conduct that constitutes a breach also constitutes criminal behavior (i.e., "risking a catastrophe" or "theft by deception").

Keyshawn didn't fight it.  He was deactivated and accepted it.

Philadelphia cannot keep him off their team after the suspension without releasing him.  They can deactivate him on game days (coaches decision) but he is a member of that team until he is released.
If Reid could have suspended him for the entire season, he would have. The deactivation is simply an extrension of the penalty. But if they make the Eagles take him back, and I were Reid, he'd be deactivated each week for the rest of the season.
and you see right there is the point, he cannot penalize TO excessively per the agreement. suspension yes. but you cant extend it. the rules say a maximum of 4 games.

If the Eagles really think T.O. is a cancer in the locker room, why not release him so that a potential playoff team can pick him up thus destroying said team's chances of making it to the post season. Wouldn't this increase the Eagles chances of making the playoffs? In their minds, I assume they would think that T.O. would be the perfect Trojan horse for one of their competitors.
Yeah, that would be brilliant. Hand one of your rivals the one of the best WR in the league for the rest of the year. Someone call Andy Reid right now. :sarcasm:

Keyshawn didn't fight it. He was deactivated and accepted it.

Philadelphia cannot keep him off their team after the suspension without releasing him. They can deactivate him on game days (coaches decision) but he is a member of that team until he is released.
The Eagles have the right to deactivate him every week, but they must let TO participate with the team like any other player and the Eagles are not willing to do this.

ESPN is reporting that the Eagles are worried that the arbitrator will reduce TO's suspension.
and then they'll just pay him and de-activate him.WHY IS THIS SO DIFFICULT?
because they cant... because of the rules, that would be like penalizing TO twice for the same offense.

ESPN is reporting that the Eagles are worried that the arbitrator will reduce TO's suspension.
because they cant... because of the rules, that would be like penalizing TO twice for the same offense.
:confused: Deactivation is one penalty....not two. If they rule he can't be penalized TWICE (suspension AND deactivation) then they will forgo the suspension and just deactivate him...pretty simple....

:confused: Deactivation is one penalty....not two. If they rule he can't be penalized TWICE (suspension AND deactivation) then they will forgo the suspension and just deactivate him...pretty simple....
you cant take back the suspension. he has already been suspended one game.you cant unring the bell.

Last edited by a moderator:
bottom line is this, TO is under contract and will be paid under that contract when he serves his suspension. So the Eagles are living up to their end of the deal that TO and his agent signed.
I really hope it is this simple. I'm afraid though, that as happens so often when any union gets involved, logic can have a way of taking a back seat. Let him rot on the bench for however many hundreds of thousands of dollars per game he is due to earn.Better yet, I can picture TO now with his weight bench on the sidelines at each non-suspended, deactivated game, doing his situps in front of the cameras like he did at his home when he was told to leave training camp.

bottom line is this, TO is under contract and will be paid under that contract when he serves his suspension.  So the Eagles are living up to their end of the deal that TO and his agent signed.
I really hope it is this simple. I'm afraid though, that as happens so often when any union gets involved, logic can have a way of taking a back seat. Let him rot on the bench for however many hundreds of thousands of dollars per game he is due to earn.Better yet, I can picture TO now with his weight bench on the sidelines at each non-suspended, deactivated game, doing his situps in front of the cameras like he did at his home when he was told to leave training camp.
How about picturing TO hanging out chatting on the sidelines with Jerry Jones and Bill Parcells durring the game on Monday night (he bought a ticket to get in of course).What are the Iggles gonna do, suspend him??? :boxing:

Nader Gets Involved in Owens Case
WCAU-TVCould the Terrell Owens situation be heading to a courtroom as a free-speech case? That seems unlikely, but consumer advocate Ralph Nader is now involved in the fued between Owens and the Eagles. Nader wants the Eagles and the NFL to drop the Owens suspension, which he says "dishonors this country's traditional respect for free speech." Adds Nader: "There is, as well, a consumer issue at stake here. Fans have purchased tickets for Eagles' games, in Philadelphia and elsewhere, on the assumption that they will see one of the game's most exciting receivers, so long as he is healthy enough to play. The Eagles' action denies them this opportunity." The Nader letter raises the specter that an outside entity could sue the league or the Eagles, and push the Owens saga past Nov. 18, when a league arbitrator will decide what happens to T.O. And as far-fetched as it sounds, we could see Owens, the Eagles, the NFL, Nader and a host of lawyers in court, arguing that T.O. is a free-speech victim, and not just a troublesome employee, depending on the outcome of next Friday's grievance hearing.

WCAU-TV

Could the Terrell Owens situation be heading to a courtroom as a free-speech case?

That seems unlikely, but consumer advocate Ralph Nader is now involved in the fued between Owens and the Eagles.

Nader wants the Eagles and the NFL to drop the Owens suspension, which he says "dishonors this country's traditional respect for free speech."

Adds Nader: "There is, as well, a consumer issue at stake here. Fans have purchased tickets for Eagles' games, in Philadelphia and elsewhere, on the assumption that they will see one of the game's most exciting receivers, so long as he is healthy enough to play. The Eagles' action denies them this opportunity."

The Nader letter raises the specter that an outside entity could sue the league or the Eagles, and push the Owens saga past Nov. 18, when a league arbitrator will decide what happens to T.O.

And as far-fetched as it sounds, we could see Owens, the Eagles, the NFL, Nader and a host of lawyers in court, arguing that T.O. is a free-speech victim, and not just a troublesome employee, depending on the outcome of next Friday's grievance hearing.
What are the odds that Nader has TO on his fantasy team?

WCAU-TV

Could the Terrell Owens situation be heading to a courtroom as a free-speech case?

That seems unlikely, but consumer advocate Ralph Nader is now involved in the fued between Owens and the Eagles.

Nader wants the Eagles and the NFL to drop the Owens suspension, which he says "dishonors this country's traditional respect for free speech."

Adds Nader: "There is, as well, a consumer issue at stake here. Fans have purchased tickets for Eagles' games, in Philadelphia and elsewhere, on the assumption that they will see one of the game's most exciting receivers, so long as he is healthy enough to play. The Eagles' action denies them this opportunity."

The Nader letter raises the specter that an outside entity could sue the league or the Eagles, and push the Owens saga past Nov. 18, when a league arbitrator will decide what happens to T.O.

And as far-fetched as it sounds, we could see Owens, the Eagles, the NFL, Nader and a host of lawyers in court, arguing that T.O. is a free-speech victim, and not just a troublesome employee, depending on the outcome of next Friday's grievance hearing.
What are the odds that Nader has TO on his fantasy team?
What are the odds Nader is looking for some press (he is a politician). :)

I really thing they should activate TO, and make him play gunner on special teams.
I think they should activate him and tell him he has to collect tickets at the gate in order to get paid. After that he'll be begging to be allowed to go home.

From what I have heard, they can de-activate him at will. That is not difficult at all.But it is unclear if they can de-activate him AND bar him from team facilities. This is the difficult part. There is no clear case history or guidance in the CBA on this issue.

The suspension is not being debated. De-activation is not being debated. De-activation with no participation in team activities is being seen as a prohibited activity.

WCAU-TV

1. Sorry, Ralph, but the fans purchased tickets to see the Eagles attempt to win games and/or to win the championship. They had no guarantees that any particular player would play. What if the Eagles had traded TO? Would the fans be entitled to a refund? What if the Eagles discovered nobody could tackle Westbrook? Would they still hae to pass to TO so the fans got what they paid for? If the Eagles believe that TO was doing more harm than good, then the fans are getting what they bargained for--the Eagles are playing the guys they believe gives them the best chance of success.2. As for being a "free-speech victim", how many times do these media yokels have to have it explained to them? YOU HAVE NO PROTECTION FOR FREE-SPEECH RIGHTS IN A PRIVATE ENTERPRISE SITUATION!! YOUR ONLY FREE SPEECH PROTECTION IS THAT THE GOVERNMENT WON'T TAKE IT AWAY!!

Edit to add: For once I agree with Cappy: :wall:

Last edited by a moderator:
So then, what if Philly agreed to let T.O. play, but they only played him for 1 down before benching him. Are you saying that this too would be considered a violation of some sort of labor law???

So then, what if Philly agreed to let T.O. play, but they only played him for 1 down before benching him. Are you saying that this too would be considered a violation of some sort of labor law???
Don't you see? It's all part of the "Get TO Conspiracy." The super arbitrator is going to step in, shorten his suspension, order the Eagles to activate him and stand beside Ried on game day to make sure that he calls enough plays for TO so that his feelings are never hurt again. :lmao:

Don't you see? It's all part of the "Get TO Conspiracy." The super arbitrator is going to step in, shorten his suspension, order the Eagles to activate him and stand beside Ried on game day to make sure that he calls enough plays for TO so that his feelings are never hurt again. :lmao:
heres the problem bone-head reid said 4 game suspension & then deactivation.lumping both actions into one large suspension.

which makes the deactivation an additional penalty, some argue an excessive one.

Larry, you're a real beauty.My favorite part is the made up ####, that apparently is fact in your head.

Sources: Settlement talks fail, TO hearing on
The Philadelphia Eagles don't want Terrell Owens back. But some of his teammates do.Eagles management is adamant that Owens will not return to the team, regardless of Friday's arbitration hearing or any settlement that might be reached, ESPN's Sal Paolantonio reported Thursday night. Sources also told Paolantonio that there had been unsuccessful 11th-hour discussions to try to reach a financial settlement; if Owens' four-game suspension is reduced, Owens fears the Eagles will ask for $1.75 million in signing bonus money, which the team has the right to take back.Owens and his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, arrived for the hearing shortly after 9 a.m. Friday.Head coach Andy Reid suspended Owens two weeks ago for a series of incidents that included public criticism of the organization and quarterback Donovan McNabb. Following his suspension, which is for a total of four games without pay, Owens would be deactivated for the rest of the season.The team has not softened its stance despite losses to the Washington Redskins and Dallas Cowboys since the suspension took effect. "Andy loves T.O.," Eagles linebacker Jeremiah Trotter said in an interview that aired on ESPN2's "Cold Pizza" on Thursday. "But, you know, as a head coach, you've got so many things to worry about, the last thing you want to worry about is outside distractions other than coaching the football team."Trotter said he felt Owens could make amends with Reid, but it would require the petulant Pro Bowler to come back with a firm understanding that he respect the coach's authority. Trotter voiced similar opinions earlier this week during a radio appearance on Philadelphia's WIP-AM."We would love to have T.O. back, we would love to have him back because we love what he brings to the team," Trotter said. "It would definitely make us a better team."The arbitration hearing on Owens' grievance, originally scheduled to take place at the NovaCare Complex, was moved to Philadelphia's Airport Marriott at 9:30 a.m. ET Friday. Arbitrator Richard Bloch will hear evidence from Owens, Reid, Eagles president Joe Banner, head athletic trainer Rick Burkholder, offensive coordinator Brad Childress and former defensive end and current Eagles ambassador Hugh Douglas.The NFL Players Association wants the Eagles to release Owens if they're not going to reinstate him after his four-game suspension is over. "We're not asking them to play him, we can't force them to do that," Gene Upshaw, the NFLPA's executive director, said Wednesday. "But if they're not going to let him come back to practice and do all the other things associated with that, then we want them to cut him, let him become a free agent now."Under the arbitration rules, Bloch cannot make Owens a free agent but if he reinstates the receiver, as the union asks, it could force the team's hand to release him, to avoid the distraction of Owens reporting for work every day.Financially, the union will argue that the Eagles' four-game suspension of Owens for conduct detrimental to the team was excessive and, at the most, he should miss only one game check for the game against the Redskins.A union source told ESPN that when the Eagles notified the NFLPA in writing of the action against Owens, the team simply stated that Owens was being suspended for the Redskins game."You can't then go out and add three more games after the fact," the official insisted to ESPN.But Upshaw said that even if the suspension is upheld, the Eagles can't just tell Owens to stay away from the team and its practice facility."We are taking the position that's additional punishment," Upshaw told The Associated Press. "It's not fair to a player not to have an additional chance."Upshaw differentiated between the Eagles' suspension of Owens and Tampa Bay's decision two years ago to make Keyshawn Johnson inactive for the final six games of the season. Johnson signed in 2004 with Dallas, for whom he now plays."There was no suspension there. A team has the right to inactivate a player for whatever reason it wants," he said. "But in T.O.'s case, this is a team suspension, not a commissioner's deal. They're different. When we bargained in those rules, there was a reason for it. The most a player can be suspended is four games. You can't go beyond that."A key difference between the Owens and Johnson situations is that Johnson didn't ask the union to file a grievance, instead accepting his punishment -- being excused from work with pay.Information from ESPN's Sal Paolantonio and Chris Mortensen and The Associated Press was used in this report.

Update on hearing....

No ruling yet on Owens' grievance hearingROB MAADDIAssociated PressPHILADELPHIA - Terrell Owens appears no closer to returning to the field this season as his grievance hearing against the Philadelphia Eagles went to a lengthy arbitration on Friday.As of late Friday evening, talks were ongoing and arbitrator Richard Bloch hadn't issued a ruling more than 12 hours after the hearing started. The dismissed Owens is seeking reinstatement, but the receiver probably won't play again for the Eagles - no matter the outcome.The All-Pro wideout was suspended on Nov. 5 following a series of incidents in which he again criticized quarterback Donovan McNabb, called the organization "classless" and fought with former teammate Hugh Douglas, who serves as team "ambassador."Two days later, the Eagles extended the suspension to four games and told Owens not to return to the team. Owens is losing more than $200,000 per game from his $3.5 million salary. He would be paid for the games he doesn't play if the Eagles deactivate him as planned once the suspension is up.The NFL Players' Association wants Philadelphia to release Owens if he's not going to be reinstated after the four-game suspension is over. Lawyers for the players' union argued Owens' punishment for conduct detrimental to the team was excessive and the suspension should be reduced.The Eagles insist the suspension is justified, and also could be seeking to reclaim about $1.8 million of the $9 million signing bonus they gave Owens last year because they believe the petulant receiver violated his contract terms when he failed to show up at a mandatory post-draft camp in the spring.Philadelphia most likely would make a decision on Owens - either releasing or trading him - by next March, when he is due to receive a $5 million roster bonus.Owens arrived for the hearing with his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, shortly after 9 a.m. Friday morning. Eagles coach Andy Reid showed up about 4 1/2 hours later following the team's practice. Team president Joe Banner, offensive coordinator Brad Childress, head athletic trainer Rick Burkholder, and Douglas also were expected to testify, though it's not known if all did.Owens' relationship with the Eagles took a drastic turn after he fired longtime agent David Joseph, hired Rosenhaus and demanded a new contract just one season into the seven-year, $48.97 million deal he signed when he came to Philadelphia in March 2004.The Eagles refused to redo the deal and Owens has clashed with management since. He earned a one-week exile from training camp after a heated dispute with Reid that followed a shouting match with Childress.Soon after Philadelphia lost to New England in the Super Bowl, Owens took his first verbal shot at McNabb, suggesting the five-time Pro Bowl quarterback was tired in the fourth quarter of the loss.McNabb responded harshly and the two didn't speak for a prolonged period in training camp. They briefly reconciled their relationship and performed well together on the field - Owens had 47 catches for 763 yards and six TDs in seven games.After Owens sat out a 17-10 loss to Washington, McNabb said the team was "better off" without its top playmaker.McNabb, however, threw a crucial interception that was returned for the winning score in the final minutes of a 21-20 loss to Dallas on Monday night that dropped the last-place Eagles to 4-5. McNabb now is facing the possibility of season-ending surgery for a sports hernia, and will miss Sunday's game against the New York Giants.A contrite Owens pleaded for another chance in a public apology outside his home in Moorestown, N.J., one day after the Eagles told him to go home. Some players, including linebacker Jeremiah Trotter, said this week they would welcome Owens back. But management hasn't changed its stance.Owens was set to earn base salaries of $770,000 in 2006, $5.5 million in 2007, $6.5 million in 2008, $7.5 million in 2009, and $8.5 million in 2010.

NFL Live on ESPN...* Hearing took 14 1/2 hours* TO had no comment to reporters after the hearing* Andy Reid testified for 4 hours* Sal Paolantonio reports Reid was questioned like he was on trial, "Ferocious nature of questioning"* Decision expected as soon as Sunday* Lawyers on both sides said it went well* 11 counts of conduct detrimental to the team

I really thing they should activate TO, and make him play gunner on special teams.
I think they should activate him and tell him he has to collect tickets at the gate in order to get paid. After that he'll be begging to be allowed to go home.
or better yet, make him an in the stands hot dog vendor, the philly fans would take care of the rest..

NFL Live on ESPN...

* Hearing took 14 1/2 hours

* TO had no comment to reporters after the hearing

* Andy Reid testified for 4 hours

* Sal Paolantonio reports Reid was questioned like he was on trial, "Ferocious nature of questioning"

* Decision expected as soon as Sunday

* Lawyers on both sides said it went well

* 11 counts of conduct detrimental to the team
GREAT!! Just in time for Sunday NFL Countdown!! :rolleyes:

The true drama here lies in just what Sal Paolantonio will do with himself once TO is no longer a part of the Iggle nation... :tumbleweed:

The true drama here lies in just what Sal Paolantonio will do with himself once TO is no longer a part of the Iggle nation...

:tumbleweed:
:lol: Sal's become the Pedro Gomez of the NFL.Also, here's a post-hearing article....

PHILADELPHIA -- Terrell Owens might be closer to returning to the field this season, even though the Philadelphia Eagles still don't want him back.

Arbitrator Richard Bloch did not issue a ruling after the 14-hour arbitration hearing Friday.

Richard Berthelsen, general counsel of the NFL Players' Association, said a decision is expected by Tuesday and expressed optimism that Owens would not have to sit out the remainder of the season.

The dismissed Owens -- who did not speak with reporters after leaving the hearing -- is seeking reinstatement.

"This discipline did not meet the legal standards of the collective bargaining agreement," said attorney Jeffrey Kessler, representing the union.

"He wants to play for Philadelphia," Kessler said. "He doesn't have any problem with his teammates, the organization or the fans. He never expected this to be the result."

Eagles coach Andy Reid suspended Owens two weeks ago for a series of incidents that included public criticism of the organization and quarterback Donovan McNabb. Following his suspension, which is for a total of four games without pay, Owens would be deactivated for the rest of the season.

The hearing started at 9:30 a.m. and finished at 11:40 p.m. The proceedings started with three hours of opening arguments, followed by eight hours of team testimony, then the players' association general counsel.

During the hearing, Reid was cross-examined by Berthelson for nearly the entire four hours of his testimony, ESPN's Sal Paolantonio reports.

The line of questioning went through each of the 11 counts of conduct detrimental to the organization brought by the team, and Reid was questioned repeatedly about whether the severity of the punishment was warranted, comparing what Owens did with what other players have done -- and whether they were punished as severely.

No other witness gave testimony for more than 30 minutes, according to sources. Reid answered questions from Berthelson while Owens and agent Drew Rosenhaus consulted with the union lawyer about what to ask next, as if Reid were on trial.

The line of questioning was focused on reducing the length of the four-game suspension, and not the Eagles' move to deactivate Owens for the rest of the season, the sources said.

The players' association wants Philadelphia to release Owens if he's not going to be reinstated after the four-game suspension is over. Lawyers for the players' union argued Owens' punishment for conduct detrimental to the team was excessive and the suspension should be reduced.

The Eagles insist the suspension is justified, and also could be seeking to reclaim about $1.8 million of the $9 million signing bonus they gave Owens last year because they believe the petulant receiver violated his contract terms when he failed to show up at a mandatory post-draft camp in the spring.

Kessler said the Eagles have not made an attempt to reclaim that money. If they did, Kessler said, that would require another hearing.

Philadelphia most likely would make a decision on Owens -- either releasing or trading him -- by next March, when he is due to receive a $5 million roster bonus.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

The line of questioning was focused on reducing the length of the four-game suspension, and not the Eagles' move to deactivate Owens for the rest of the season, the sources said.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
The reason for the focus of the grievance being on the length of TO's suspension and not whether the Eagles can or cannot deacitvate him for the rest of the season, is because the suspension is what can be brought up for arbitration."Section 2. Scope of Authority: The powers of the Impartial Arbitrator and the rights of the parties in any proceeding before him or her shall be solely to determine disputes that are specifically referred to the Impartial Arbitrator pursuant to the express terms of this Agreement. In no event shall the Impartial Arbitrator have any authority to add to, subtract from, or alter in any way the provisions of this Agreement."

As there are no rules or parameters set forth in the CBA, governing Teams activation or deactivation of players, the Impartial Arbitrator cannot hear or make rulings on circumstances surrounding the activation or deactivation of players.

www.nflpa.org

Bottom line:1) The Eagle's statement that they will deactivate TO after the suspension has no binding force.2) After the suspension, they'll deactivate him anyway.The most that TO can get out of this is the right to practice at Eagles' facilities. That's about it.The ONLY way TO would step onto the field again is if there's a mini-revolt among the players (say, after McNabb goes on IR) who demand that TO come back and kick up a real fuss until the Eagles let him return. And I just don't see that happening.

Users who are viewing this thread