What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Today my oldest son was sworn in as a police officer... (1 Viewer)

top dog

Footballguy
Kind of a mixed feeling kind of day. It wasn't enough for him to serve in the army, be in the National Guard... Do a deployment in Iraq... I guess he's always had that need to serve and protect. He was the guy in high school sticking up for the little guy because he didn't like bullies. Watched his graduation ceremony and know that he starts his new career in the worst district in Cleveland. His choice. I'm proud of him, but at the same time wishing he'd wanted to be a fireman his whole life instead of a peace officer.

Congrats to both of you!
And tell him thanks from a guy who would never have had the guts to do any of those things he's done.
(ok, I stuck up for the little guy here and there in high school, but that was apparently my limit lol)

Kind of a mixed feeling kind of day. It wasn't enough for him to serve in the army, be in the National Guard... Do a deployment in Iraq... I guess he's always had that need to serve and protect. He was the guy in high school sticking up for the little guy because he didn't like bullies. Watched his graduation ceremony and know that he starts his new career in the worst district in Cleveland. His choice. I'm proud of him, but at the same time wishing he'd wanted to be a fireman his whole life instead of a peace officer.
There's a few areas that could compete for this title...I'll guess district 3. I wish him, and you well.

From a fellow Clevelander (currently living out of state), congrats! I know it’s often a thankless job but there are those out there who are grateful for the good ones who are willing to serve in this fashion! Prayers for your son!

I have a couple of high school buddies (graduated in 89) who are with CPD.

Such a tough job right out (even tougher than in the past). Good luck to your son staying safe!

\Kind of a mixed feeling kind of day. It wasn't enough for him to serve in the army, be in the National Guard... Do a deployment in Iraq... I guess he's always had that need to serve and protect. He was the guy in high school sticking up for the little guy because he didn't like bullies. Watched his graduation ceremony and know that he starts his new career in the worst district in Cleveland. His choice. I'm proud of him, but at the same time wishing he'd wanted to be a fireman his whole life instead of a peace officer.
There's a few areas that could compete for this title...I'll guess district 3. I wish him, and you well.
Since you seem to know the area, my wife is in property management and handles properties in both 3 and 4. She is even more insane than my son.

Last edited:
He was in Iraq when Iran lobbed the missiles on our bases. It wasn't until very late in the early morning that his wife heard from him and that he was fine. That was a rough night of holding our breath not knowing what had happened. Now anytime there is an officer involved shooting (either way) we will have to have that same fear. I am very proud of who he has become, but it does kind of suck that he didn't want to be an accountant.

Thanks everyone for the support! He's settling in fine so far. On his second day on the job he ended up at where his mom and wife were working for the day. Loose pit bull or some type of animal call. Was kind of funny when he showed up and his wife was like "I'm not used to seeing you in a uniform that isn't camo." :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread