What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Today we should stop and give thanks ... (1 Viewer)

kupcho1

Footballguy
... to whoever came up with the idea of gambling. We can't be sure who it was, but my bet is on a cro magnon named Og betting someone that they couldn't jump over that new invention, "fire."

Without this early pioneer where would we be? Would anyone outside of Kansas City or San Francisco being watching the game tonight without him? And what would we do without all of the Draft Kings, MGM, etc. commercials?
So as you imbibe this evening, take a moment to raise a glass to Og.

Gambling is dangerous, but I get the love affair with it. Families have been ruined by it however.
same can be said by most things in life, food/money/hobbies/sex are all things that have ruined families. :sadbanana:
Deflection
not really, just saying that almost everything in life is dangerous. :shrug:
Oh really, it was the very definition of deflection. I think gambling is more prevalent now than it has ever been.

Big fan of whoever invented the player prop bet. I always try and have a list of player props at the Super Bowl.

I usually do a little betting event for everyone at the party, we make a list of 10 or so player props, and people have to pick all 10. whoever gets the most, wins the whole pot. Tiebreaker is winner and total points scored.

Cool thing about that is, anyone casual can win the thing. And it's great to watch a girlfriend/wife keeping an eye on someone's receiving total.

Gambling is dangerous, but I get the love affair with it. Families have been ruined by it however.
same can be said by most things in life, food/money/hobbies/sex are all things that have ruined families. :sadbanana:
Deflection
Oh really, it was the very definition of deflection. I think gambling is more prevalent now than it has ever been.
I bet you're wrong about that...

Deflection
I bet you're wrong about that...
Then you would lose that bet :)

What's crazy is how easy it has become. Last year I actually had to drive 5 minutes from Georgia to Tennessee to actually place my bets. I would sit in my car in some parking lot. I place bets once a year. Always on the super bowl. This year I can do it from my couch. I get sucked in and think this could be very easy to do daily. Then I move on and don't think about it untill the next super bowl.

What's crazy is how easy it has become. Last year I actually had to drive 5 minutes from Georgia to Tennessee to actually place my bets. I would sit in my car in some parking lot. I place bets once a year. Always on the super bowl. This year u can do it from my couch. I get sucked in and think this could be very easy to do daily. Then I move on and don't think about it untill the next super bowl.
My stepson is now doing sports gambling. Something I never thought would never happen.

And what would we do without all of the Draft Kings, MGM, etc. commercials?
We'd see a lot more commercials about prescription drugs. I'd rather watch sports highlights and gambling info than to watch a bunch of fat people dancing and talking about having their diabetes under control.

That alone makes it great.
Let’s not forget about the psoriasis and State Farm commercials .

I'm grateful for how far we've come in the gambling world. Look at some of these props (these are all real bets at my book)

# of Chiefs/Kelce Jewelry Pieces T Swift Wears
Under 5 Chiefs/Kelce Pieces
Over 5 Chiefs/Kelce Pieces
+100

Reba McEntire to Show Cleavage during Anthem
No
Yes
+300

Jason Kelce do First during CBS Broadcast
Man Boobs (Take Shirt Off)
Shotgun/Chug Beer

What Will be Higher?
Total Rebounds Bam Adebayo vs. BOS Celtics
Total 1st Quarter Points in SB LVIII
+130

Which will be higher?
Trump hush money/Storm Daniels guilty counts
Christian McCaffrey fantasy points

Just glorious.

Last edited:
I get sucked in and think this could be very easy to do daily. Then I move on and don't think about it untill the next super bowl.

Good. Because you will lose.
I do it all year round - but the biggest bets I make are $20 and most are $5. These sites have so many promotions and for a while were giving away money. I started with a deposit of $100 about four years ago, have about $600 in there now and have transferred money out a few times. I don’t think of it as money the way I play really it’s more about never having to put money in again but still always being able to bet. It’s like tokens basically at this point.

Start up the "Talk about Gambling" thread imo. (I probably place more bets in a week than I drink or eat meat).

That said, my lifetime FanDuel stats are $200 deposited, $350 withdrawals and $315ish still in play.

So basically over the past several years I'm up a few hundred but I make mostly small bets and neither win nor lose big so it's solid entertainment for me.

Start up the "Talk about Gambling" thread imo. (I probably place more bets in a week than I drink or eat meat).

That said, my lifetime FanDuel stats are $200 deposited, $350 withdrawals and $315ish still in play.

So basically over the past several years I'm up a few hundred but I make mostly small bets and neither win nor lose big so it's solid entertainment for me.
Gambling that way sounds like fun. It’s safe and responsible, good job.

I get sucked in and think this could be very easy to do daily. Then I move on and don't think about it untill the next super bowl.

I do it all year round - but the biggest bets I make are $20 and most are $5. These sites have so many promotions and for a while were giving away money. I started with a deposit of $100 about four years ago, have about $600 in there now and have transferred money out a few times. I don’t think of it as money the way I play really it’s more about never having to put money in again but still always being able to bet. It’s like tokens basically at this point.
Good way to do it. Agreed on the promotions. Every year I switch. This year I did BetNow and put in 100 and got 250 worth of bets. Every year I think with what's left ill play with it for the year. Every year I cash it out to show my wife how awesome I am.

Sports betting is legal now in a bunch of states but we still don’t have legal online poker in all of the US? Not cool.

It doesn't matter to me as much as it did before since I retired, but I always wished they moved this game one week, so it coincided with Presidents Day and some people got a 3- day weekend.

I mean in Europe the World Cup is a holiday and a lot of things shut down, so why not USA's biggest sports day?

It doesn't matter to me as much as it did before since I retired, but I always wished they moved this game one week, so it coincided with Presidents Day and some people got a 3- day weekend.

I mean in Europe the World Cup is a holiday and a lot of things shut down, so why not USA's biggest sports day?
If they did this and also settled on one "time" for the entire year I might just vote for somebody again.

As long as Hardman hits an anytime TD today I'll be a winner. A big winner.
Congrats!
Dude. With Scantling and Hardman tds I won 2000 dollars. Smh. Crazy. Gambling is good!!!
Well done.

Sports betting is legal now in a bunch of states but we still don’t have legal online poker in all of the US? Not cool.

Wisconsin technically has sports betting. However you need to be on premises at 1 of 2 indian reservations so it really doesn't apply to the entire state and is not easy.

Thanks, Eeyore.
Sorry to be a party pooper. Gambling is so everyday now. It used to be uncommon for most.

Really dislike how it’s infested all sports. I spent a total of $30 (3-$10 squares) gambling on the Super Bowl.
Agree 100%

Quit fantasy football decades ago because it ruined enjoyment of watching football.

That was my only real foray into gambling. Now I’m limited to infrequent bets with friends, usually having nothing to do with sports.

I only bet on Super Bowls. I find the site with the best new comer special. Place my bets. Cash out or lose. This year I won big. At least for me. I went to cash out and I guess the fine print rolls the money over until I meet this roll over goal because I accepted bonus bets? Wtf. I have to literally bet thousands of dollars more to see a penny. Wtf. This is crazy. I guess I'm a full time gambler now? Really? I feel like I was punched in the stomach.

I only bet on Super Bowls. I find the site with the best new comer special. Place my bets. Cash out or lose. This year I won big. At least for me. I went to cash out and I guess the fine print rolls the money over until I meet this roll over goal because I accepted bonus bets? Wtf. I have to literally bet thousands of dollars more to see a penny. Wtf. This is crazy. I guess I'm a full time gambler now? Really? I feel like I was punched in the stomach.
Just wait til the next Super Bowl

Users who are viewing this thread