What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tom Brady - Deployed (1 Viewer)

Giselle was right, he should've retired last year after the bomb to Evans should've won the game. A good way to go out.

He's still playing well, but there's a danger that he'll have some Willie Mays moments before the season is over, in addition to foot-in-the-mouth moments.

Giselle was right, he should've retired last year after the bomb to Evans should've won the game. A good way to go out.

He's still playing well, but there's a danger that he'll have some Willie Mays moments before the season is over, in addition to foot-in-the-mouth moments.
When Brady drops back and has to go to the ground after a pass and he is laying there on the ground, that's when he looks ancient vs everyone else on the field. If he happens to be laying flat on his stomach waiting to get up or someone assist him, it's ugly.

But when he is standing in the pocket upright and has 3 top flight WRs running open, he looks incredible.

Could Brady retire in the middle of the season? Broken tablets, cussing out his OL, he's not himself of late.

Mike and Chris are on top of it

Breaking Tablets since last year against Saints and Bears last year. I think its on brand for him TBH.

Divorces are difficult. Let him breathe a little. He can still get the job done. Of course, I don't know why he came back if things were so on the fritz. It's not like anybody wouldn't have given him the year off to make things right.

Divorces are difficult. Let him breathe a little. He can still get the job done. Of course, I don't know why he came back if things were so on the fritz. It's not like anybody wouldn't have given him the year off to make things right.
Because as tough as it is to be a 45-year-old QB in the NFL, it's even tougher to be a 46-year-old QB in the NFL.

Was actually deployed via the USS Peleliu when Tom won his first Super Bowl. Was out there already when 9/11 happened. I never played in the NFL, but he's probably right. Playing in the NFL, making more than a Quarter %Bil in earnings, married to a Supermodel - is actually way harder than being deployed away from your family not knowing if you are alive at any given moment.

Was actually deployed via the USS Peleliu when Tom won his first Super Bowl. Was out there already when 9/11 happened. I never played in the NFL, but he's probably right. Playing in the NFL, making more than a Quarter %Bil in earnings, married to a Supermodel - is actually way harder than being deployed away from your family not knowing if you are alive at any given moment.

Thanks for your service. I hate when guys use military analogies for sports. Nobody is facing imminent death playing these sports (well, football is as close as it gets, I guess). But still, I remember Kellen Winslow Jr. screaming about how he was a "soldier" in the locker room. No, son, you aren't. Soldiers take greater risks and face graver consequences than you'll ever imagine.

Wish Brady had been more thoughtful in his comparison.

Pretty clearly he's having a hard time coming to grips with losing his family over feeling like he has to dedicate so much time and focus to his work.

But my man, no one needed you to come back out of retirement. Obviously insulting to those who've actually been deployed. And as stated elsewhere, lots of people have demanding jobs and figure out a way.

People like Brady can't help themselves. He is one of those driven people that can't turn it off, even if he wants to. The analogy is silly but I get what he's saying..to do it the right way and be the best, you have to engross yourself and leave everything else behind. That's no different than Gates, Bezos, Jobs, any super high achiever in any field. Once he has to hang up the cleats as the best QB ever he's not going to buy an island and chill...he'll move to something else and work tirelessly at it.

I've done a complete 180 with him after winning in TB. I couldn't stand him in NE but I've got a ton of respect for him. BB is a great coach but he's only as good as his QB and his QB was the best ever. It sucks for him that he's getting a very public divorce but he's married to himself and always will be. Everything else will always take a back seat and I don't think he can help it. That's my dime store analysis.

I guess I'm in the minority here but I have been in the Army for 25 years and was deployed for at least 2 of Tom Brady's superbowls. I'm totally fine with the comparisons of football to military service; I see many, many similarities. Of all of the sports I have played, football is the most like military combat operations. It involves strategy, tactics, trained individual and team techniques and, reacting when the play/op breaks down. Most importantly, the concept of the team being more important than the self plays out in the military in a similar fashion to football. Football is the ultimate team sport, in that it teaches players in all phases of the game to do their job for team success, without regard for individual glory. Not that every football player absorbs that lesson, but the nature of game of football is built to teach it. 25 years is a long time to be on active duty and in that time I have seen the overall quality of new recruits drop a bit. I attribute some of that to the focus on video games and the decline in team sports, especially football. I can tell you that, in my experience, the Soldiers who played team sports, especially football, usually "get it" much more quickly than those who did not. Given the dedication and commitment that Tom Brady has shown to a difficult (though extremely lucrative) profession, I have no doubt that he would have been an excellent leader in any branch of our military. Finally, if it means anything, I have been a part of military operational planning where football (and other sport) metaphors are used to convey phases of an operation or actions on an objective.

I guess I'm in the minority here but I have been in the Army for 25 years and was deployed for at least 2 of Tom Brady's superbowls. I'm totally fine with the comparisons of football to military service; I see many, many similarities. Of all of the sports I have played, football is the most like military combat operations. It involves strategy, tactics, trained individual and team techniques and, reacting when the play/op breaks down. Most importantly, the concept of the team being more important than the self plays out in the military in a similar fashion to football. Football is the ultimate team sport, in that it teaches players in all phases of the game to do their job for team success, without regard for individual glory. Not that every football player absorbs that lesson, but the nature of game of football is built to teach it. 25 years is a long time to be on active duty and in that time I have seen the overall quality of new recruits drop a bit. I attribute some of that to the focus on video games and the decline in team sports, especially football. I can tell you that, in my experience, the Soldiers who played team sports, especially football, usually "get it" much more quickly than those who did not. Given the dedication and commitment that Tom Brady has shown to a difficult (though extremely lucrative) profession, I have no doubt that he would have been an excellent leader in any branch of our military. Finally, if it means anything, I have been a part of military operational planning where football (and other sport) metaphors are used to convey phases of an operation or actions on an objective.
agreed. He'd be good at whatever he chose to do.

People like Brady can't help themselves. He is one of those driven people that can't turn it off, even if he wants to. The analogy is silly but I get what he's saying..to do it the right way and be the best, you have to engross yourself and leave everything else behind. That's no different than Gates, Bezos, Jobs, any super high achiever in any field. Once he has to hang up the cleats as the best QB ever he's not going to buy an island and chill...he'll move to something else and work tirelessly at it.

I've done a complete 180 with him after winning in TB. I couldn't stand him in NE but I've got a ton of respect for him. BB is a great coach but he's only as good as his QB and his QB was the best ever. It sucks for him that he's getting a very public divorce but he's married to himself and always will be. Everything else will always take a back seat and I don't think he can help it. That's my dime store analysis.
He's an all time great. All time competitor. Wired that way, still proving people wrong. I mean, he isn't an idiot, so he must OBVIOUSLY be cracking to not have the presence of mind to use, ya know, ANY, other profession - Astronaut maybe? Feels just wild b/c he obviously has no idea what he is talking about. But I mean, He's Tom Brady. Do what you want older God.

I always kind of liked Brady and he's always been a bit of an attention whore, but seems much worse the last couple years. Yelling at his O-line was a bad look.

Agree with poster who said he is married to himself and always will be. If he could have pulled the plug and retired after they beat the Chiefs in the super bowl, that would have been a legandary way to go out. I get his wanting to keep playing because he was still playing at an elite level, but just saying.

Nobody should ever use the military to compare to sports but I do think he simply meant he’s not around his family much. However, that is strictly his choice. A lot of football players seem to have a balanced life. I don’t know why he has to be so psychotic about it, maybe that’s what makes him so good on the field.

I am guessing that every day that goes by now he regrets coming back from the brink of retirement. Whatever changed his mind, or whoever talked him out of it... it's turning out to be A Bridge Too Far for this once great field general.

I just read the synopsis of the interview not the interview itself but he sounds pretty self aware here. This is who I am. It's probably going to cost me my marriage but it's still who I am.

We can debate what he could change about his work / life balance, retirement etc. but it seems he's decided he can't change those things. He's made a choice and football is it.

Nobody should ever use the military to compare to sports but I do think he simply meant he’s not around his family much. However, that is strictly his choice. A lot of football players seem to have a balanced life. I don’t know why he has to be so psychotic about it, maybe that’s what makes him so good on the field.
I think we have to be mindful of the fact that we are getting an unprecedented look at an all-time great. Imagine if Michael Jordan were in his prime right now in the age of instant, world-wide media. The truth is that real excellence in any field isn't always pretty. It can look a lot like single-minded obsession, at the expense of other aspects of life. I used to not think much of Tom Brady but his willingness to work for his goals has won me over. Having gone through something similar in my private life a couple of years ago, I can't imagine how he is able to compartmentalize and still perform a task that requires 100% undivided attention, especially with the painful details on the front page of the internet. With Tom Brady we are seeing how the real sausage of human greatness is made; I still want to eat it.

To be fair, it doesn’t appear he’s good at being married

Kudos: you said it better than I could have (and thanks for your service). The fact that football is littered with military analogies is not lost on the players, and at the end of the day saying one thing one way doesn't take away from the thing they were talking about: In the trenches; hold the line, Ariel attack etc are all phrases used in football that come from another place.

I guess everyone just needs to be a "dog" bc you cannot upset the humane society by calling someone that. (and I'm not even a brady fan)

Thank you for your service! I do agree with your take here. Reminds me of George Carlin's comparison between baseball and football.

When Brady drops back and has to go to the ground after a pass and he is laying there on the ground, that's when he looks ancient vs everyone else on the field. If he happens to be laying flat on his stomach waiting to get up or someone assist him, it's ugly.

But when he is standing in the pocket upright and has 3 top flight WRs running open, he looks incredible.
as long as they use the helmet mic to tell where to throw the ball

Wow, this was almost as bad as the Will Smith slap in ruining a long career's pristine image. Out of context, in context, I don't care. Really bad look. This guy is unraveling before our eyes. As someone with the utmost respect for the men and women in our military that put their lives on the line for our freedom and been immediately affected by the horrors of war, you just can't let these words come out of your mouth.

We all know that Brady was speaking of first hand experience out in the field or on the gridiron.
It's time to reveal Brady's true identity here on the Masked Winger, you all know him better by his code name

That's right ladies and gentlemen, it's Col Mustard

I just traded for him. There’s a lot on this page that I’m not following. Can someone give me the cliff notes? I have a 1:30 tee time.

If you want to ignore your marriage in favour of your career that is your call. But anyone that decides to have kids and put them on the back burner for so long is wrong.

There are always times as a parent you don’t have a choice when you have to pay the bills. He has a choice.

Well, except maybe marriage.

Pretty clearly he's having a hard time coming to grips with losing his family over feeling like he has to dedicate so much time and focus to his work.

But my man, no one needed you to come back out of retirement. Obviously insulting to those who've actually been deployed. And as stated elsewhere, lots of people have demanding jobs and figure out a way.

Really?

Are you insulted? Is anyone actually insulted?

I'm trying to manufacture this faux rage with you guys here... I just can't muster it.

No rage from me. Served in the military.
I cringed a little when he compared football to being deployed for the simple fact that on deployment many soldiers have paid the ultimate price.
Again 0 rage, but cringed due to the comparison a little.

Users who are viewing this thread