What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Top 10 KR/PR IDP's looking at 2013 (1 Viewer)

So if we are talking Def. players that are mostly Kr/PR guys who would be the best?

These are the IDP return guys, HOW would you rank them?

Josh Wilson

Allen Rossum

Ellis Hobbs

Leodis McKelvin

Danieal Manning

Chris Carr

Brian Witherspoon

T.J. Rushing

Here's the copy currently slated to go in this week's Reading the Defense column:

Entering the season, Leodis McKelvin, Josh Wilson and Danieal Manning appear to be the elite of the two-way returner-defenders. McKelvin is slated to return kickoffs for Buffalo and moves into a starting role with Jabari Greer now in New Orleans. Wilson has kickoff returner duty in Seattle and will start for the injured Marcus Trufant (on PUP) for at least the first six weeks of the season. Manning has been out with injury for most of the preseason, but looks likely to move back into a starting FS in Chicago and return kickoffs for Chicago. Elsewhere around the league, Terence Newman and Ellis Hobbs look like potential promising options. Newman may return some punts in Dallas and Hobbs will get at least nickel duty in Philadelphia while returning kickoffs. Others to watch for early in the season include Alphonso Smith, who may earn more defensive playing time as the season progresses for Denver, Will Blackmon, who would be a solid option if the Packers have an injury to one of their top three corners and Phillip Buchanon, who got a look as a punt returner in Detroit earlier in the preseason. Also keep an eye on the deep depth charts in Jacksonville, where Brian Witherspoon will have dual kickoff and punt return duty, and Baltimore, where Chris Carr draws returner duty.

jene thanks for the updates was able to get mckelvin and manning in my dynasty. if any updates on manning i would appreciate them.

tackles 1 pt

ff fr int sacks 3 pts

return yardage 1pt. for every 25 yards

my players Beason, Mayo, Laurenitas, McKelvin, and Manning

Excellent news on Hobbs. He has been big the last two years, and looks like he'll have a chance to hold on as a top 5 DB in leagues that give return yards. Thanks for the heads up.

Excellent news on Hobbs. He has been big the last two years, and looks like he'll have a chance to hold on as a top 5 DB in leagues that give return yards. Thanks for the heads up.
The only problem with Hobbs is that he's not a starter. He may have locked up the nickel spot, but he'll get nowhere near the defensive stats of a Josh Wilson or Leodis McKelvin.

Could this be a ***** in Wilson's armor??

Per Rotoworld:

Deion Branch was working as a kick returner during special teams drills Monday.

Branch survived the cut, but the Seahawks clearly don't think too much of him as a receiver anymore. Perhaps they'll make him try to earn his $4.94 million bringing back kicks.

What about Jim Leonhard?Starting SS for the Jets? It appears he's got the nod for PUNT return duty.
Did he? I saw that he returned a couple of punts during the preseason, but Dwight Lowery returned the bulk of them. I'd also seen a note from Herman that suggested Washington would see almost all returns.I'll add another line to my column to keep an eye on Leonhard and would greatly appreciate someone adding a link with more definitive information.

hotlanta said:

Per Rotoworld:

Branch survived the cut, but the Seahawks clearly don't think too much of him as a receiver anymore. Perhaps they'll make him try to earn his $4.94 million bringing back kicks.
I don't like this. Without KR duty, Wilson is a very average CB. His value would drop like a rock.

Deion Branch is very inujury prone, in fact, he was injured in that practice. He says he's fine. Either way I don't like that Seattle is looking for other options. Any additional insight would be appreciated.

Jene Bramel said:
What about Jim Leonhard?

Starting SS for the Jets? It appears he's got the nod for PUNT return duty.
Did he? I saw that he returned a couple of punts during the preseason, but Dwight Lowery returned the bulk of them. I'd also seen a note from Herman that suggested Washington would see almost all returns.I'll add another line to my column to keep an eye on Leonhard and would greatly appreciate someone adding a link with more definitive information.
The source I saw was Sporting News, from yesterday afternoon:http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/squeekthegeek02/202155

New York Jets 2009 Season Preview

Special Teams

In My opinion Special teams is the most underrated part of football. Good field position is extremely important. The Jets have a very Good return game led by Leon Washington, a pro bowl kick returner who is always a threat to break one off for a touchdown. This Year they are only going to use him on kick returns and give him much more touches on offense. So the punt returner will be Jim Leonhard, he returned punts for the ravens last year and should be fine.
A lot of other sources seem to assume he has it locked up. I know it's been a difficult thing to pin down as a certainty.Jene, what kind of defensive production could we expect from Leonhard?

Jene Bramel said:
What about Jim Leonhard?

The source I saw was Sporting News, from yesterday afternoon:http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/squeekthegeek02/202155

Special Teams

In My opinion Special teams is the most underrated part of football. Good field position is extremely important. The Jets have a very Good return game led by Leon Washington, a pro bowl kick returner who is always a threat to break one off for a touchdown. This Year they are only going to use him on kick returns and give him much more touches on offense. So the punt returner will be Jim Leonhard, he returned punts for the ravens last year and should be fine.
A lot of other sources seem to assume he has it locked up. I know it's been a difficult thing to pin down as a certainty.Jene, what kind of defensive production could we expect from Leonhard?
I was wondering this same thing.

Anybody know who ended up winning the job in Denver? I'm hoping it was Alphonso Smith, but I haven't heard anything recently. Smith will be the NCB which will help his defensive stats as well. If Baily or Goodman (both over 30) were to go down, he'd be a starter.

Jene Bramel said:
What about Jim Leonhard?

Special Teams

I was wondering this same thing.
I think he'll probably put up 65 solos and a handful of coverage stats. I don't see stud tackle numbers.Thanks for the link, Tenacious.

Anybody know who ended up winning the job in Denver? I'm hoping it was Alphonso Smith, but I haven't heard anything recently. Smith will be the NCB which will help his defensive stats as well. If Baily or Goodman (both over 30) were to go down, he'd be a starter.
Denver's "official" depth chart shows him as #3 KR (behind Royal and Hillis) and #2 PR (behind Royal).Everything during pre-season seemed to indicate that the Broncos were NOT going to use Royal at KR, but solely PR and WR.They basically gave the job to Alphonso but he didn't light it up and then they moved Hillis in and he looked solid.My thoughts are that Hillis and Smith will take a fair amount of KR, and Royal will only be used on crucial returns. But, KRBC isn't a resounding endorsement, just a "wait and see" approach is best.

Here's the copy currently slated to go in this week's Reading the Defense column:

Entering the season, Leodis McKelvin, Josh Wilson and Danieal Manning appear to be the elite of the two-way returner-defenders. McKelvin is slated to return kickoffs for Buffalo and moves into a starting role with Jabari Greer now in New Orleans. Wilson has kickoff returner duty in Seattle and will start for the injured Marcus Trufant (on PUP) for at least the first six weeks of the season. Manning has been out with injury for most of the preseason, but looks likely to move back into a starting FS in Chicago and return kickoffs for Chicago. Elsewhere around the league, Terence Newman and Ellis Hobbs look like potential promising options. Newman may return some punts in Dallas and Hobbs will get at least nickel duty in Philadelphia while returning kickoffs. Others to watch for early in the season include Alphonso Smith, who may earn more defensive playing time as the season progresses for Denver, Will Blackmon, who would be a solid option if the Packers have an injury to one of their top three corners and Phillip Buchanon, who got a look as a punt returner in Detroit earlier in the preseason. Also keep an eye on the deep depth charts in Jacksonville, where Brian Witherspoon will have dual kickoff and punt return duty, and Baltimore, where Chris Carr draws returner duty.
Tue, Sep 8CB Leodis McKelvin makes his debut as a starter Monday at New England and will likely draw the main assignment on Randy Moss during Tom Brady's return from a knee injury. McKelvin was Buffalo's first-round pick in 2008.

(Yahoo! Sports)

Tue, Sep 8CB Leodis McKelvin makes his debut as a starter Monday at New England and will likely draw the main assignment on Randy Moss during Tom Brady's return from a knee injury. McKelvin was Buffalo's first-round pick in 2008.

(Yahoo! Sports)
My first :goodposting: of the season.

Per Rotoworld:

I believe branch has a bad hammy.ps

why isn't ***** in the word filter?

Jene, is there anywhere we can find out who plays NCB for each team? I have my eye on Witherspoon, but it looks like he's down on the pecking order and may not get on the field much on Defense.

Cortland Finnegan was returning punts on Thursday. Although he isn't returning kickoffs, I still think he has some major value because he's pretty good at stopping the run from the CB position. I think he also had 10 tackles (?) too and an interception.

Cortland Finnegan was returning punts on Thursday. Although he isn't returning kickoffs, I still think he has some major value because he's pretty good at stopping the run from the CB position. I think he also had 10 tackles (?) too and an interception.
He had a real rough night in the punt return department. If he doesn't improve he won't be back there long.

He had a real rough night in the punt return department. If he doesn't improve he won't be back there long.
he's only returning punts till Mouton returns from health

So if we are talking Def. players that are mostly Kr/PR guys who would be the best?These are the IDP return guys, HOW would you rank them?Josh Wilson Allen Rossum Ellis Hobbs Leodis McKelvin Danieal Manning Chris Carr Brian Witherspoon T.J. Rushing
Any info on Allen Rossum? I have both him and Josh Wilson and I'd like to play the one who will get double duty PR/KR if at all possible.Of course I realize Wilson is starting for Trufant but should have that job for at least 6 weeks?

(Yahoo! Sports)
My first :loco: of the season.
:shrug: Awesome news if true.

I think all 3 of the big 2 way IDP studs did well enough to encourage. McKelvin had a rough night on special teams. But he's clearly the KR again this year.

Wilson looks like he'll continue his statistical production from last year, at least until (if) Trufant returns. He simply had too few KR opportunities with a scoreless STL.

Manning looked great as well, and you're right probably actually looks the best of the 3 right now.

I look forward to more insight next week.

Knox has been returning kicks today for the Bears. Has Manning's role as a 'starter' led the Bears to relieve him of this duty? He has a somewhat decent box score so far, but if he's not returning he loses a lot of value for some folks.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, I was surprised to see it, but from a non-fantasy point of view it makes sense. Knox has speed to burn and Manning was playing a big role on D tonight. Maybe they didn't want to risk injury?

Side note, McKelvin only returned 1 kick as well, but I think it's because he got injured

yeah, I was surprised to see it, but from a non-fantasy point of view it makes sense. Knox has speed to burn and Manning was playing a big role on D tonight. Maybe they didn't want to risk injury?Side note, McKelvin only returned 1 kick as well, but I think it's because he got injured
I think at least one of those was a squib kick that went to Knox. Does anybody know if Manning was even lined up to return?

manning bruised his back in week one, and before this past game had made some comments that he might not be on returns because of his stiff back that week.

so, I think I'd wait and see on that one.

I'm not even sure why these guys say anything to the media about injuries, but whatever.

Josh Wilson reportedly has a high ankle sprain :kicksrock: 3 or more weeks out probably, right?
Thanks for the info. I was wondering why he had such a low scoring game. If it's the dreaded high ankle sprain, he'll probably be out for a few weeks. :speculation:

Any update on McKelvin?
At his press conference today, **** Jauron stated that McKelvin's ankle was feeling better today, but that they were still evaluating the extent of his injury. Jauron stated that, if McKelvin were to miss time, Roscoe Parrish, Xavier Omon, and Terrance McGee would all be candidates to perform kickoff return duties in place of McKelvin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Per Rotoworld:

Seahawks CB Josh Wilson is out indefinitely after suffering a high ankle sprain in Week 2.

This can be a 4-6 week injury depending on the extent. Seattle will likely be forced to start Kelly Jennings in Week 3 against Chicago. Jennings has been a bust since going in the 2006 first round, so upgrade Jay Cutler's matchup.

Has anyone heard anything about Justin Miller since he was cut by Oakland??? I'm hoping he signs somewhere soon...i could use the kr production...

Any update on McKelvin?
At his press conference today, **** Jauron stated that McKelvin's ankle was feeling better today, but that they were still evaluating the extent of his injury. Jauron stated that, if McKelvin were to miss time, Roscoe Parrish, Xavier Omon, and Terrance McGee would all be candidates to perform kickoff return duties in place of McKelvin.
Hopefully he can go full speed this week. There should be plenty of KR for the Bills and plenty off passes to defend against New Orleans

Alright, since I drafted McLovin I haven't paid any attention to other IDP's who also return kicks a/o punts, I see a couple of them are also hurt but if I am forced to waivers this week who are some returners that also play defense that are healthy? Return yardage is weighted heavier in relation to tackles than most leagues in this particular one so I don't have much interest in guys that don't do returns, in fact I'd rather have an idp that only does returns and doesn't play D than a guy that plays D but doesn't do returns. I just want to get my plan B in my head before I'm scrambling around at the last minute If McLovin is inactive.

Buffaloes said:
Any update on McKelvin?
Hopefully he can go full speed this week. There should be plenty of KR for the Bills and plenty off passes to defend against New Orleans
The Bills reported that Leodis McKelvin was limited in practice on Wednesday. It's good to hear that he is back on the field, at least.

manning bruised his back in week one, and before this past game had made some comments that he might not be on returns because of his stiff back that week.

I'm not even sure why these guys say anything to the media about injuries, but whatever.
Snipped from this article:Wide receiver Johnny Knox will return kickoffs again this week in place of FS Danieal Manning.

No citation though...

Snipped from this article:Wide receiver Johnny Knox will return kickoffs again this week in place of FS Danieal Manning.

No citation though...
nice find! :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread