What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Top 26 Rookies 2021 (1 Viewer)

I don’t think Lawrence had nearly the supporting cast the Alabama, LSU, Ohio State or even North Carolina QBs had in recent years. Last year Lawrence actually had a pretty weak supporting cast outside of Etienne. The top 2 WRs were Rodgers and Powell. Two older players who hadn’t done anything of note in their careers and were basically starting because there was nobody else on the roster. 

I tend to see Lawrence similarly to EBG; a likely top 5 fantasy QB.  It is hard for even the best passer to be a #1 fantasy QB unless they are a true dual-threat and while athletic, he isn't going to ever run for 1,000 yards. 

What I like is his throwing mechanics and poise.  He can make any throw and appears exceedingly accurate. He hits his receivers in stride, which is so important to enable the receiver to get the most yards.

As to the concern about QBs coming from offenses where there are a lot of strong supporting players and that perhaps elevates the QB above his true ability, I don't think that is true of Lawrence. While he played on a great team, his WRs were not uber elite.  

My biggest concern is the coaching in Jacksonville, specifically, the HC.  This whole thing with Meyer bringing back Tebow (come on! The guys is in his 30s and hasn't played football in a decade and he never played the position they claim he will play) makes me question his judgement.  That being said, I like Darrel Bevel and he has had success with QBs in the NFL. Also, I like the Jaguars receivers and offensive playmakers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t think Lawrence had nearly the supporting cast the Alabama, LSU, Ohio State or even North Carolina QBs had in recent years. Last year Lawrence actually had a pretty weak supporting cast outside of Etienne. The top 2 WRs were Rodgers and Powell. Two older players who hadn’t done anything of note in their careers and were basically starting because there was nobody else on the roster. 
Come on, North Carolina? Which team will have more NFL OL players? Which team will have more NFL offensive skill position players? Which team will have more NFL defensive players? (Defense counts here.) Which team will have more first round picks? Second round? Third round? Etc.

These are rhetorical questions, because there is no comparison (IMO).

Sure, Alabama's roster was superior. I'm not at all convinced that LSU or Ohio State had a significant advantage in talent over Clemson over the past 3 years. Even if they did, Clemson was close.

While I respect your opinion, I stand by my post.

Come on, North Carolina? Which team will have more NFL OL players? Which team will have more NFL offensive skill position players? Which team will have more NFL defensive players? (Defense counts here.) Which team will have more first round picks? Second round? Third round? Etc.

These are rhetorical questions, because there is no comparison (IMO).

Sure, Alabama's roster was superior. I'm not at all convinced that LSU or Ohio State had a significant advantage in talent over Clemson over the past 3 years. Even if they did, Clemson was close.

While I respect your opinion, I stand by my post.
Sorry, was poorly worded. Meant to say Lawrence last year did not have the supporting cast of teams from Bama, LSU, Ohio State and Carolina have had in recent years. I wasn't thinking about defense either. I don't think that matters much for what a college offense does. 

I'm not sure Waddles dip in 2019 was due to similar skill set as Ruggs. I think it as more likely due to the ascent of Devonta who rose up form WR3 in 2018  to being basically the Co-#1 with Jeudy in 2019.  I don't have access to snap count data but I'd  guess Devonta's gains in snap share from 18 to 19 came at expense of Waddle.
Snap counts would be useful information on that. I am still curious and not ready to turn the page on this yet. I still have questions.

Snap counts would be useful information on that. I am still curious and not ready to turn the page on this yet. I still have questions.
I think anyone with PFF can look this up.  I don't subscribe with them any longer and tried to look up snap count data but all I could find was someone who did it after 5 games in 2019. At that point Devonta has actually moved pass Jeudy and was seeing 84% of the snap count, Jeudy was at  78%, Ruggs was at 63% and Waddle at 36%. These were all first team reps so no junk time throwing this off.  The article I found this info suggested Waddle's snap counts had decreased  from the previous year but knowing previous years percentages would help define how much. Again my guess is if you get info to  compare whole 2018 vs 2019 snap counts you'll see Devonta take a significant rise and Waddle a dip.

Joe Bryant said:
I apologize. It seemed to me the conversation was stuck on back and forth accusing each other of "unsubstantiated speculation and that you may be trying to hard." and after repeated back and forth on that, it seemed clear and I asked to move on.

I said, "We get it. Let's drop and move on please."

That's not telling anyone to "shut up". I meant it exactly as we said. I think we all get the point. Let's please move on. I was trying to be  as nice as possible. Clearly I failed there and I apologize.

As I've said repeatedly, we have an awesome community here made up of super smart football folks. I want to try and do all we can to facilitate good discussion there. I think we all do. Thanks for being part of it. 
Thank you for being a stand up guy Joe. Apology accepted. Please think twice about this before ever doing it again if your apology is  sincere then you mean to not make the same mistake again. I hope that is the case.

I think anyone with PFF can look this up.  I don't subscribe with them any longer and tried to look up snap count data but all I could find was someone who did it after 5 games in 2019. At that point Devonta has actually moved pass Jeudy and was seeing 84% of the snap count, Jeudy was at  78%, Ruggs was at 63% and Waddle at 36%. These were all first team reps so no junk time throwing this off.  The article I found this info suggested Waddle's snap counts had decreased  from the previous year but knowing previous years percentages would help define how much. Again my guess is if you get info to  compare whole 2018 vs 2019 snap counts you'll see Devonta take a significant rise and Waddle a dip.
Interesting stuff. I was just about to google on that.

If this is the case it does kind of negate the theory that Waddle and Ruggs roles were related.

Users who are viewing this thread