What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trades That Look Horrible After The Fact (1 Viewer)

David Yudkin

Footballguy
Back in the day, the Cowboys traded two first round draft picks to obtain WR Joey Galloway from Seattle. Galloway was far from spectacular for the 'Boys (but did great last year for the Buccaneers).

As it turns out, the Seahawks parlayed those picks into 3-time Pro Bowl Guard Steve Hutchinson and 3-time Pro Bowl RB (and League MVP) Shaun Alexander.

Whoops.

Who did the 2 1st rounders the Panthers traded for Sean Gilbert become?

And didnt the Skins basically get Champ Bailey and Chris Samuels + a bunch of other guys from the Saints for Ricky?

Wasn't Hutchinson from the trade with the Packers? I could be thinking of the wrong year, but I thought the Packers traded Hasselbeck and their pick (about the 19th) to the Seahawks for their pick (maybe the 10th) and possibly a third rounder or something. The Packers then took Jamal Reynolds. I believe the Seahawks originally had the 9th and 10th round picks that year. So if this is correct, they ended up with Hasselbeck, Alexander, and Hutchinson for Galloway and a 3rd rounder.

In 1995, San Francisco was coming off its 5th Super Bowl win and the 49ers were looking for a WR to eventually replace Jerry Rice or John Taylor (Taylor ended up retiring after the 95 season). They really liked JJ Stokes of UCLA, but he was going to be a top-15 pick and they were picking 30th.

Meanwhile, Cleveland, was picking 10th and everyone knew they were going to draft Penn State TE Kyle Brady. Unfortunately for them, the Jets snatched him up one pick earlier. *Reportedly*, the Browns were so confident that they were going to get Brady they had no contingency plan in place (although one finds that hard to believe).

At this point, the 49ers got on the phone and worked out a deal to move up to #10 and grab Stokes. The gave up their 1st [30th overall], 3rd [94th overall], and 4th [119th overall] round picks in that draft as well as their 1996 1st round pick.

Stokes has to be classified as a disappointment for the 49ers as he never made much of an impact for them, and certainly never any where near the level expected from a top-10 pick (never mind one they overpaid to move up and draft).

Meanwhile, the Browns didn't do THAT great with the picks they received, at least in 1995, drafting LB Craig Powell, DE Mike Frederick, and QB Dave Barr. But in 1996 (now the Ravens), the 1st round pick they received from the 49ers turned out to be the 26th overall and was used to select...Miami LB Ray Lewis.

Wasn't Hutchinson from the trade with the Packers? I could be thinking of the wrong year, but I thought the Packers traded Hasselbeck and their pick (about the 19th) to the Seahawks for their pick (maybe the 10th) and possibly a third rounder or something. The Packers then took Jamal Reynolds. I believe the Seahawks originally had the 9th and 10th round picks that year. So if this is correct, they ended up with Hasselbeck, Alexander, and Hutchinson for Galloway and a 3rd rounder.
IIRC, Dallas gave two picks to the Seahawks, who then packaged that to ultimate get Hutchinson. So it was not as simple as I made it, but the pick they got back was used on Hutchinson. I am not sure how best to reflect the additional picks and players, so it may be better described as you put it. However, Seattle gave up that pick for Hasselbeck, so who knows how to phrase it.

I believe this to be correct. Krob was drafted with the 9th pick, Hawks sent the #10 + a 3rd rounder to GB for the #17 and Hass. With the 17th pick, the Hawks took Hutchinson.

Can anyone remember the players that the Falcons got out of the future HOFer Brett Favre trade? Can anyone remember the ones that the Rams got from the Steelers for future HOFer Bettis? I can't. Guess that's the point.

The Steelers got HOFer Jerome Bettis and a 3rd round pick in the 1996 draft for their 1996 2nd rounder and 1997 4th rounder.

Highway robbery.

The Steelers got HOFer Jerome Bettis and a 3rd round pick in the 1996 draft for their 1996 2nd rounder and 1997 4th rounder.

Highway robbery.
If what is listed is accurate, those picks turned out to be TE Ernie Conwell and C Ryan Tucker. IIRC, the Steelers pick turned out to be LB Steven Conley. The Steelers, BTW, left Terrell Owens and Tedy Bruschi on the table, and both went in the next several picks.

Who did the 2 1st rounders the Panthers traded for Sean Gilbert become?

And didnt the Skins basically get Champ Bailey and Chris Samuels + a bunch of other guys from the Saints for Ricky?
this leads to an example of a bad move in NOT making a trade...CIN could have had all of NO draft picks (the same ones saints HC at the time ditka traded to WAS for a LOWER pick to move up & secure services of ricky williams)... instead they kept that pick & used it on future superstar akili smith, i think. OOOUUUCCCHHH!

A few Patriot deals...the good:

Traded a #1 and a #4 (they swapped a few other picks also) for Bill Belichick. Truly one of the greatest deals in NFL history.

Traded their #1 to Baltimore for their #2 and a #1 the next year. The deal ended up being Kyle Boller for Vince Wilfork and Eugene Wilson (after another deal).

Traded Drew Bledsoe for a pick that turned into Ty Warren.

Traded a #4 for Ted Washington.

Jim Plunkett for a boatload of picks that turned into some very good players.

The bad:

Traded the #3 pick (and a #2) to Seattle for the #8 and #10 pick. Looks good on paper until you realize it was Cortez Kennedy for Chris Singleon and Ray Agnew.

Traded a #3 for the worst player I have ever seen in Duane Starks. To be truthful I liked the deal at the time.

Didn't match the Jets offer for Curtis Martin and took a #1 and #3 and regretted it for a decade.

Traded the pick the Niners used on Jerry Rice and got a bag of used footballs in return.

Traded Irving Fryar for a #2 and #3. To be fair this was the bad Irving Fryar and not the cleaned up version.

Traded Mike Haynes for a #1 and #2. Ouch.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about when the Browns traded up for what's his face a few years ago? You know, that all-universe TE from Miami. And he scoffed at the highest paying TE contract in NFL history. I can't seem to remember his name! But I remember he was going to be the best TE ever, and I predicted he'd break his leg by week 2 and never play again.

So far so good!

Last edited:
How about when the Browns traded up for what's his face a few years ago? You know, that all-universe TE from Miami. And he scoffed at the highest paying TE contract in NFL history. I can't seem to remember his name! But I remember he was going to be the best TE ever, and I predicted he'd break his leg by week 2 and never play again.

So far so good!
Kellen Winslow for Roy Williams and Teddy Lehman.

The Rams gave up a 2nd round pick (LB Mike Peterson) and a 5th round pick (DE Brad Scioli). Had the Colts kept Faulk, they could have taken Torry Holt or Champ Bailey and maybe the Colts win the Super Bowl instead of the Rams.

:wall: Bears receive: Rick Mirer

Seahawks receive: 8th pick in the draft (Walter Jones) :wall:

Last edited by a moderator:
Cowboys traded in essence J P Losman

to the Bills for

Julius Jones, Marcus Spears, and another late round player that i cannot recall right now

Thanks for reminding.
The Herschel Walker trade will make compensate for all future crappy Cowboys trades.
That will go down in history as THE most lopsided trade ever... in hindsight, of course. Man did the Cowboys use that one properly! :thumbup:

A few Patriot deals...the good:

Traded a #1 and a #4 (they swapped a few other picks also) for Bill Belichick. Truly one of the greatest deals in NFL history.

Traded their #1 to Baltimore for their #2 and a #1 the next year. The deal ended up being Kyle Boller for Vince Wilfork and Eugene Wilson (after another deal).

Traded Drew Bledsoe for a pick that turned into Ty Warren.

Traded a #4 for Ted Washington.

Jim Plunkett for a boatload of picks that turned into some very good players.

The bad:

Traded the #3 pick (and a #2) to Seattle for the #8 and #10 pick. Looks good on paper until you realize it was Cortez Kennedy for Chris Singleon and Ray Agnew.

Traded a #3 for the worst player I have ever seen in Duane Starks. To be truthful I liked the deal at the time.

Didn't match the Jets offer for Curtis Martin and took a #1 and #3 and regretted it for a decade.

Traded the pick the Niners used on Jerry Rice and got a bag of used footballs in return.

Traded Irving Fryar for a #2 and #3. To be fair this was the bad Irving Fryar and not the cleaned up version.

Traded Mike Haynes for a #1 and #2. Ouch.
Good summary, but you forgot this gem:1991 - The Patriots trade out of the #1 spot overall (Dallas selected Russell Maryland) for the #11 and #14 picks in a multiteam deal. Those two picks ended up being Pat Harlow and Leonard Russell.

Green Bay trades a 1st round (28th pick) and a 2nd round (60th) pick in exchange for Seattle's first round (20th pick) and a 5th round (156th) picks.

Green Bay selects:

1-20 - Javon Walker

5-156 - Aaron Kampman

Seattle selects:

1-28 - Jerramy Stevens

2-60 - Anton Palepoi

Users who are viewing this thread