What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trend vs. Mirage (1 Viewer)

Judge Smails

Footballguy
3 weeks are now just about in the books. The new offensive schemes are clicking or not clicking. Injuries have taken a toll. Easy SOS vs. very difficult.

So, who has started hot but will fade? Who has looked like a bust for 3 weeks but will absolutely start clicking again? Which teams will resurrect themselves and which ones are already done?

Big Ben - recover or with that O-Line is he middle of the road at best the rest of the year? (Holmes too)

Cleveland offense - last year one and done or will they start clicking?

Charger D - get healthier and be elite even without Merriman, or shootouts all year?

Patriot D - run sieve all year?

Cincy - signs today that the offense still may click, especially when Henry returns?

What does your crystal ball say for these? Add to the list.

3 weeks are now just about in the books. The new offensive schemes are clicking or not clicking. Injuries have taken a toll. Easy SOS vs. very difficult.

So, who has started hot but will fade? Who has looked like a bust for 3 weeks but will absolutely start clicking again? Which teams will resurrect themselves and which ones are already done?

Big Ben - recover or with that O-Line is he middle of the road at best the rest of the year? (Holmes too) -- MIRAGE. Too much talent on both sides of the ball for this team not to have opportunities and be competitive going forward

Cleveland offense - last year one and done or will they start clicking? -- TREND. Will show some flashes of their potential, but their woes seem too endemic at this point.

Charger D - get healthier and be elite even without Merriman, or shootouts all year? -- MIRAGE. This team will settle in, have good depth, and have played through some adversity in the past. D will rebound.

Patriot D - run sieve all year? -- TREND -- was thinking this could be a mirage, but their run unit has not looked "right" and look like that 30+ yr old WR who suddenly lost a step.

Cincy - signs today that the offense still may click, especially when Henry returns? -- TREND. Have some decent talent on offence. It's the D that is going to sink this team.

Add to this:TRENDS

ATL -- may not be Lombardi Trophy contenders, but look to be decent spoilers when the matchup is right. O has weapons, D can often play up to opposing units.

BILLS -- at this point, look to be one of those teams who shock the world and go to the AFC Championship game.

MIRAGES

TITANS -- their D is the type that can win championships. Just don't think this O can keep up.

CARDS -- I hope they keep this up, I really do. They are an exciting team to watch. But something always happens to derail them, and this year will be no different.

3 weeks are now just about in the books. The new offensive schemes are clicking or not clicking. Injuries have taken a toll. Easy SOS vs. very difficult.So, who has started hot but will fade? Who has looked like a bust for 3 weeks but will absolutely start clicking again? Which teams will resurrect themselves and which ones are already done?Big Ben - recover or with that O-Line is he middle of the road at best the rest of the year? (Holmes too)Cleveland offense - last year one and done or will they start clicking?Charger D - get healthier and be elite even without Merriman, or shootouts all year?Patriot D - run sieve all year?Cincy - signs today that the offense still may click, especially when Henry returns?What does your crystal ball say for these? Add to the list.
Good stuff. Thanks to posters below for correcting me on terminology! :bs: 1) Roethlisberger - - TREND. Has his injury been fully revealed yet? I heard that X-rays were negative, but . . . I say that he will be only slightly better than the NFL average for the rest of the season. Holmes, I have no idea. I bought into him in a significant way this season and he's been a dud. 2) CLE - - TREND. I think they were one and done. There was something transitory about the Anderson magic last season, and I think Crennel is one of the most cretinous head coaches in the league. 3) SD defense - - TREND. I think they have bigger problems than just missing Merriman. Cromartie has just simply looked terrible so far this season, and the LB corps seems slow. I say shootouts all year. 4) NE run D - - TREND. Yeah, sieve all year. Their amazing aerial show last season masked a lot of defensive weaknesses.5) CIN - - agree totally. MIRAGE. They can't really be this bad.A big trend - - Buffalo. I think that their offense has the weapons to wear opposing teams down. For some reason, Edwards took three quarters to figure out the Raiders today, but once he did, they might as well not have beeen out there. A big mirage - - Atlanta. I like the Burner and Ryan too (although he's a year or two away), but the defense is horrible.

Last edited by a moderator:

Big Ben - recover or with that O-Line is he middle of the road at best the rest of the year? (Holmes too)

Mild recovery, but the O-Line is a big problem. I'm not sure whether they looked better or worse than the Rams did agaisnt the Eagles - and that's pretty damning. OL normally can run block, though.

Cleveland offense - last year one and done or will they start clicking?

Mild recovery once Edwards & Lewis get things together. Neither was 100% to start the season - especially Edwards. Schedule hasn't been easy.

Charger D - get healthier and be elite even without Merriman, or shootouts all year?

Mild recovery with health, but losing Merriman hurts a lot. Could be in panic mode after this week.

Patriot D - run sieve all year? Real - the D is going to be bad. I think they miss the playoffs.

Cincy - signs today that the offense still may click, especially when Henry returns? Mirage - the O-Line is bad, and they need to simply almost ignore the run to move the ball from the bits I saw today.

Real:Bills - playing well, and have a solid defense.

Falcons - not actually good, but alot better than was expected. They are a team which can pull an upset, and are on track for better things.

Cardinals - Could win the NFC West - about time, since they've been picked how means years running as a "sexy" surpirse winner?

NFC East - Undefeated in non-division games.

Kurt Warner - Better than Leinart.

Real bad:

St. Louis, KC - especially KC QB's, Detroit.

Mirage:

Seattle - admittedly this is a fan pick, but I think once they get Branch & Engram back they will be able to compete in the NFC West.

Indy/Jacksonville - both these teams will be in the playoff hunt.

Seattle - admittedly this is a fan pick, but I think once they get Branch & Engram back they will be able to compete in the NFC West.Indy/Jacksonville - both these teams will be in the playoff hunt.
No question, but then the worst team in most other divisions could compete for the NFC West title.

Real bad:St. Louis, KC - especially KC QB's, Detroit.
Nothing...and I mean nothing....is as bad as living in the middle of Missouri somewhere and having to watch these two teams for 2 out of the 3 broadcast games on Sunday afternoon.I literally watch the stat updates on my computer instead of watch these aweful teams when there isn't another game on. I've never looked so forward to Sunday and Monday night games in all of my life.

Real bad:St. Louis, KC - especially KC QB's, Detroit.
Nothing...and I mean nothing....is as bad as living in the middle of Missouri somewhere and having to watch these two teams for 2 out of the 3 broadcast games on Sunday afternoon.
Sure there is... living in Michigan and having to watch the Lions the last 30 years. Hey, at least the Rams went to a Super Bowl.

Roethlisberger might be in trouble. He's already so banged up and now he faces Baltimore and Jax before the bye.

Other thoughts after three weeks -- the NFC West is obviously up for grabs, but I'm still not sold on Arizona, who benefitted from a couple of easy games to start the season. They now go to the Jets, then host Buffalo and Dallas. Could easily be at 2-4. But then, just as everyone starts to get down on them, they get back into their divisional schedule and could be in good position to reel off a bunch of wins.

Buffalo is an excellent team. Remember how easy the Patriots schedule was supposed to be this year? If New England is average, then the Bills' sked is just as easy. They've got every chance to win their division this year and maybe get some homefield advantage - nobbody likes coming into Buffalo in January.

I'm a Baltimore homer, but the Ravens D is legit -- as long as it can stay healthy. So far they've allowed 13 points (7 of the Bengals' points came on a fumble return, which isn't the D's fault) and scored 7. But they are perilously thin at CB, Safety and even the D Line. If McAlister, Reed, or Rolle go down, this team reverts to last year's shambles.

Dallas has a very easy schedule ahead. And the Giants' isn't much harder. If the Giants can win Week 8 @ Pitt, we could be looking at an unbeaten Cowboys-Giants game in Week 9. By the way, isn't it cool how every NFC East game is suddenly a huge game again? Reminds me of the late 80s when Madden and Summerall would be calling a huge NFC East game every week.

1) Roethlisberger - - MIRAGE. Has his injury been fully revealed yet? I heard that X-rays were negative, but . . . I say that he will be only slightly better than the NFL average for the rest of the season. Holmes, I have no idea. I bought into him in a significant way this season and he's been a dud.
Last season they just did NOT run in the red zone. They threw alot of short passes there, padding that 32 TD total. They have seem to found some push on the o-line and not afraid to run in the red zone. Still, Ben got sacked alot last season, and gets hit alot. Same is true this season. I think they are running more, meaning fewer passing TDs for Ben, and they need to protect him, or we'll see alot more of Leftwich.
2) CLE - - MIRAGE. I think they were one and done. There was something transitory about the Anderson magic last season, and I think Crennel is one of the most cretinous head coaches in the league.
Their schedule was LIGHT last year...180 degrees different than this season. They have been 'punched in the mouf' weeks 1-3 and Edwards' drops are killing them. It's like watching a good kicker just start shanking everything...so probably a concentration issue? Jamal is hurt, so all you have left is Winslow. Maybe they get right vs. CIN DEF...if not, how soon til Quinn time?
3) SD defense - - MIRAGE. I think they have bigger problems than just missing Merriman. Cromartie has just simply looked terrible so far this season, and the LB corps seems slow. I say shootouts all year.
Last season, San Diego started slowly, primarily b/c they were not aggressive. Cromatie and Jammer are gamblers (although Cromatie didn't start til mid season last year?) Anyways, you need QB pressure to make those guys look good and get INTs. About mid-season, they came on. Fast forward to this season...Te Cottrell (notice no D) is not being very aggressive. If they decide to get after the QB (as they should have vs. DEN), they will look better.
4) NE run D - - MIRAGE. Yeah, sieve all year. Their amazing aerial show last season masked a lot of defensive weaknesses.
I don't know here, except when the CBs are not good, and the linebackers have lost a step, you can't always outthink the opponent. When the opponent is forced to throw every play and becomes one-dimensional, it's alot easier to look good.
5) CIN - - agree totally. TREND. They can't really be this bad.
I don't know what changed here. Anyone? System? Some o-line guys I don't know by name? Are they using Chris Perry different than Kenny Watson was used last year? Carson looked pissed but focused during a pregame talk with Boomer, so I was thinking something might happen (with Housh on my bench of course).
A big trend - - Buffalo. I think that their offense has the weapons to wear opposing teams down. For some reason, Edwards took three quarters to figure out the Raiders today, but once he did, they might as well not have been out there.
What has changed here? Was the QB carousel that bad on this team? Lynch is 100 yards and a TD, Evans not doing that much. Trent is not lighting it up exactly... Maybe just alot of young players gelling and the Def healthy now. Seems like a solid team, young, good Def, good running game, and a capable RB backup in Fred Jackson.
A big mirage - - Atlanta. I like the Burner and Ryan too (although he's a year or two away), but the defense is horrible.
I liked the comment above...vs. some VERY subpar teams (DET, KC) they will look like rock stars. Start em all. Against good teams, they may just not be able to stand up, since Ryan can't carry them, and you can't just run MTO left/right.

3 weeks are now just about in the books. The new offensive schemes are clicking or not clicking. Injuries have taken a toll. Easy SOS vs. very difficult.So, who has started hot but will fade? Who has looked like a bust for 3 weeks but will absolutely start clicking again? Which teams will resurrect themselves and which ones are already done?Big Ben - recover or with that O-Line is he middle of the road at best the rest of the year? (Holmes too)Cleveland offense - last year one and done or will they start clicking?Charger D - get healthier and be elite even without Merriman, or shootouts all year?Patriot D - run sieve all year?Cincy - signs today that the offense still may click, especially when Henry returns?What does your crystal ball say for these? Add to the list.
Good stuff. I assume mirage means that good stuff in the past (or early) was/is an illusion. Correct me if I'm wrong on that. 1) Roethlisberger - - MIRAGE. Has his injury been fully revealed yet? I heard that X-rays were negative, but . . . I say that he will be only slightly better than the NFL average for the rest of the season. Holmes, I have no idea. I bought into him in a significant way this season and he's been a dud. 2) CLE - - MIRAGE. I think they were one and done. There was something transitory about the Anderson magic last season, and I think Crennel is one of the most cretinous head coaches in the league. 3) SD defense - - MIRAGE. I think they have bigger problems than just missing Merriman. Cromartie has just simply looked terrible so far this season, and the LB corps seems slow. I say shootouts all year. 4) NE run D - - MIRAGE. Yeah, sieve all year. Their amazing aerial show last season masked a lot of defensive weaknesses.5) CIN - - agree totally. TREND. They can't really be this bad.
FYI, I know what you meant but you have this whole MIRAGE/TREND thing completely backwards.MIRAGE = Something that is happening today is not real and won't continueTREND = Something that is happening today is real and will continue

Good stuff. I assume mirage means that good stuff in the past (or early) was/is an illusion. Correct me if I'm wrong on that. 1) Roethlisberger - - MIRAGE. Has his injury been fully revealed yet? I heard that X-rays were negative, but . . . I say that he will be only slightly better than the NFL average for the rest of the season. Holmes, I have no idea. I bought into him in a significant way this season and he's been a dud. 2) CLE - - MIRAGE. I think they were one and done. There was something transitory about the Anderson magic last season, and I think Crennel is one of the most cretinous head coaches in the league. 3) SD defense - - MIRAGE. I think they have bigger problems than just missing Merriman. Cromartie has just simply looked terrible so far this season, and the LB corps seems slow. I say shootouts all year. 4) NE run D - - MIRAGE. Yeah, sieve all year. Their amazing aerial show last season masked a lot of defensive weaknesses.5) CIN - - agree totally. TREND. They can't really be this bad.
FYI, I know what you meant but you have this whole MIRAGE/TREND thing completely backwards.MIRAGE = Something that is happening today is not real and won't continueTREND = Something that is happening today is real and will continue
:rolleyes: You have it backwards dude.

How about Santana Moss putting together 3 straight solid games in a row. Anyone else think that this can continue in Zorn's new offense? Moss seems to be getting consistent targets in the new offense.

FYI Cleveland, Pittsburgh and Cinci all project to play brutal schedules and since it looks like Baltimore is not nearly as bad as everyone thought those schedules look even more difficult.

Players on those struggling teams may improve closer to the mean but I would not expect anything from any of them. Of all the players on those teams I would say Carson Palmer has the best chance to turn things and perform at an elite level. But that offensive line needs to improve significantly to allow that to happen.

Cool, thanks, I could see it both ways, so I asked. M'bad. :thumbup: Will fix.

Users who are viewing this thread