What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Turkey shoots down Russian jet (1 Viewer)

Lets not lose site of his goal and why the Russian military does this sort of thing. This has very little to do with Syria or ISIS. The Russians are constantly trying to destabilize NATO.
Im no fan of the Ruskie, but can you blame them? Any nation that has a 28 nation bloc aligned against it should poke it whenever they can.
sure, I understand why they act as they do. However, Russia should also expect countries to act to protect their own sovereignty.

Gregor Peter ‏@L0gg0l 2h2 hours ago

Expect Turkey now to block Russian warships from passing through the Bosporus

- Say, has anyone seen the President today? Has he spoken on the Turkey/Syria crisis?

- Say, has anyone seen the President today? Has he spoken on the Turkey/Syria crisis?
I would guess he's in the situation room right now...

he pardoned turkey today

since it wasn't a tweet Saints may have missed it. :P

Here is what part of what Obama had to say:

Turkey, like every country, has a right to defend its territory and its airspace. I think it's very important right now for us to make sure that both the Russians and the Turks are talking to each other, find out exactly what happened and take measures to discourage any kind of escalation. If Russia is directing its energies towards Daesh and ISIL, some of those conflicts or potentials for mistakes or escalation are less likely to occur.

This underscores the importance of us making sure that we move this political track forward as quickly as possible. Like President Hollande, our view from the start has been that Russia is welcome to be part of this broad-based coalition that we have set up.

Jesus if I didn't know better I'd think SaintsinDome is getting a chub over there with all of this.
I don't know about that, but my wife always knows its on whenever there is an international incident like this. When Arab Spring happened, my wife finally had to go visit her sister for a week or two.

Last edited by a moderator:
BHO: Vlad, you need to talk this thing out.

Vlad: No.

BHO: But it's IMPORTANT.

Vlad: :mellow:
Once again, what would you have Obama do? Because I believe that it's wrong to criticize unless you have a specific alternative to offer.
Just like he can't tell you what Trump would do better, he wont be able to you what Obama should do.
What do I have to do with Trump? What does Trump have to do with it?Talk about your non sequiturs.

Obama may be worthy of criticism here. I don't think he is, based on what I know, but what I know right now is pretty damn little. Who the heck knows what options Obama has been given by his military and diplomatic advisors? Who here has any idea what he has accepted and rejected?

Once again, what would you have Obama do? Because I believe that it's wrong to criticize unless you have a specific alternative to offer.
Something a little firmer than "Stop, or I'll say 'stop' again."I'm not advocating going to Defcon 4, but something a little less schoolmarm wouldn't hurt.

Putin doesn't give two shakes what he thinks is important.

Something a little firmer than "Stop, or I'll say 'stop' again."I'm not advocating going to Defcon 4, but something a little less schoolmarm wouldn't hurt.

So your specific alternative is "something"?

LOL. In the big scheme of things this is nothing more than a minor skirmish in a large geopolitical world. Putin has very little leverage, reason, or resources to escalate this much more beyond puffing his chest. Hes also got mutliple irons in the fire and starting to reap what his sown from overextending his country as world police. The Obama must to something pleas are a bit comical, this will be a nonissue in several short weeks.

To be fair to Andy he said he wants to hear rhetoric, maybe a little sabre rattling.

But you don't know that he said that. We don't know WHAT he's saying to the Russians right now.

And you don't seem to have a specific response other than "something firmer." In the end, no response we make will be firm unless we are willing to back it up with some kind of penalty or reward. Are we?

I've been at work all day and haven't been able to convene my war council. Sorry.This line of reasoning that you can't criticize unless you have an alternative is phony anyway. It's done all the time.

I'd you want an admission I will say statements like the one he made at least don't make the situation worse. So that's a start. But neither do I think they help.

I do believe his willingness to not push back on Putin the last six years has limited his options today and have indeed emboldened Putin.

LOL. In the big scheme of things this is nothing more than a minor skirmish in a large geopolitical world. Putin has very little leverage, reason, or resources to escalate this much more beyond puffing his chest. Hes also got mutliple irons in the fire and starting to reap what his sown from overextending his country as world police. The Obama must to something pleas are a bit comical, this will be a nonissue in several short weeks.
Things have escalated to 1. Russia bombing a Turkish aid convoy, 2. Russia putting SAM's on the Turkish border, and 3. Turkey sending tanks to the border while Russia masses tanks on the Syrian side. Not amusing.

since it wasn't a tweet Saints may have missed it. :P

Here is what part of what Obama had to say:

Turkey, like every country, has a right to defend its territory and its airspace. I think it's very important right now for us to make sure that both the Russians and the Turks are talking to each other, find out exactly what happened and take measures to discourage any kind of escalation. If Russia is directing its energies towards Daesh and ISIL, some of those conflicts or potentials for mistakes or escalation are less likely to occur.

This underscores the importance of us making sure that we move this political track forward as quickly as possible. Like President Hollande, our view from the start has been that Russia is welcome to be part of this broad-based coalition that we have set up.
Here we go, information, Fennis, thanks.

I've been at work all day and haven't been able to convene my war council. Sorry.This line of reasoning that you can't criticize unless you have an alternative is phony anyway. It's done all the time.

I'd you want an admission I will say statements like the one he made at least don't make the situation worse. So that's a start. But neither do I think they help.

I do believe his willingness to not push back on Putin the last six years has limited his options today and have indeed emboldened Putin.
With regard to the bolded, you can always criticize. My argument is that if you do so without an alternative to offer, it has very little legitimacy.

In what specific manner should Obama have "pushed back" against Putin during the last 6 years? In what instance? And what should have been threatened?

But you don't know that he said that. We don't know WHAT he's saying to the Russians right now.And you don't seem to have a specific response other than "something firmer." In the end, no response we make will be firm unless we are willing to back it up with some kind of penalty or reward. Are we?
Based on what Fennis quoted that's the message he sent out.And no, I don't want any more threats we're not going to back up. You know, of the "Assad must go" variety. They're part of the reason why we're where we are today.

But you don't know that he said that. We don't know WHAT he's saying to the Russians right now.And you don't seem to have a specific response other than "something firmer." In the end, no response we make will be firm unless we are willing to back it up with some kind of penalty or reward. Are we?
Based on what Fennis quoted that's the message he sent out.And no, I don't want any more threats we're not going to back up. You know, of the "Assad must go" variety. They're part of the reason why we're where we are today.
Well then, no offense, but you're confusing me Andy. You seem to find fault in Obama for somehow being "weak", and yet your specific criticism of him is that he was too firm in the past. You acknowledge that it would be dangerous for us to make ANY threats to Putin, but you wish he had "pushed back" on Putin during the last 6 years. I just don't understand where you're going with this.

Megalomaniacs shouldnt ever be taken lightly. Putin doesnt care about the average Russian, he cares about the greatness of Russia, whatever that is in his head.

Well then, no offense, but you're confusing me Andy. You seem to find fault in Obama for somehow being "weak", and yet your specific criticism of him is that he was too firm in the past. You acknowledge that it would be dangerous for us to make ANY threats to Putin, but you wish he had "pushed back" on Putin during the last 6 years. I just don't understand where you're going with this.
He wasn't firm in the past. He said Assad must go and Assad stayed.Had he pushed back the last six years he would be able to negotiate from a stronger position today.

You're not really tying to understand. That was easily gathered from what I wrote the first time.

So if I'm reading this right, your preferred alternative would be to make threats that we are willing to back up?

In what specific manner should Obama have "pushed back" against Putin during the last 6 years? In what instance? And what should have been threatened?
I think the response to both Georgia and Crimea were tepid at best.WAS there even a response?
Yes. But perhaps it's not what you wanted.

Obama spoke out very harshly, and I believe he suspended some trade agreements. But he could have:

1. Cut off even more trade, creating an economic crisis.

2. Sent military aid to Georgia and Ukraine.

3. Offer military guarantees to Georgia and Ukraine.

4. Send troops.

Beyond these 4 alternatives, none of which we chose to do, I can't think of anything else that would have been less "tepid". Can you? Or do you think we should have chosen one of these 4 options?

Things have escalated to 1. Russia bombing a Turkish aid convoy, 2. Russia putting SAM's on the Turkish border, and 3. Turkey sending tanks to the border while Russia masses tanks on the Syrian side. Not amusing.
Yes, Putin's plans are starting to falter due to ego and lack of long term strategy. Fact of the matter is he still likes his day job and Russia and Turkey ultimately have very little to gain from more than token escalation. This is about Russia's bombing of anti-Assad rebels in Syria, the sanctity of Turkish airspace, and the life of one (or possibly two) Russian pilots. That is nowhere near high stakes enough to trigger a high scale world calamity, and the Syrian/Turkey border is ultimately too far away from Russia to represent and real threat (besides Putin wanting to save face). I'm not saying it's a complete non-issue, but people are over-reacting and knee jerking to a barrage of social media and a 24 hours "news" cycle from questionable resources. Obama and NATO won't ignore this, but I would bet in several weeks if you re-read your posts; even you'll recognize some of the overreaction.

He wasn't firm in the past. He said Assad must go and Assad stayed.Had he pushed back the last six years he would be able to negotiate from a stronger position today.

You're not really tying to understand. That was easily gathered from what I wrote the first time.
So pushing back means we should have used ground troops to force Assad out? (There's no other way to do it in the time span you're talking about.) Or does pushing back mean we never should have said Assad must go in the first place?

Just like he can't tell you what Trump would do better, he wont be able to you what Obama should do.
What do I have to do with Trump? What does Trump have to do with it?Talk about your non sequiturs.
You strike me as the kinda guy who thinks Trump would make a better president than Obama.

This is scary stuff. Hopefully it's a whole lot of saber rattling, and that's all. But it's still scary.
Saber rattling? Shooting down a jet is saber rattling? Naval blockades saber rattling? Tanks and anti air missiles lining the border saber rattling? These are acts of war and should be taken seriously. In my lifetime there has never been such a war with countries this technologically advanced. Always been one bully against a shrimp. Always been against guys wearing flip flops and throwing rocks. This is much more sophisticated.

This is scary stuff. Hopefully it's a whole lot of saber rattling, and that's all. But it's still scary.
Saber rattling? Shooting down a jet is saber rattling? Naval blockades saber rattling? Tanks and anti air missiles lining the border saber rattling? These are acts of war and should be taken seriously. In my lifetime there has never been such a war with countries this technologically advanced. Always been one bully against a shrimp. Always been against guys wearing flip flops and throwing rocks. This is much more sophisticated.
Yeah, its still rattling until the armies invade and the bombs start flying.

So if I'm reading this right, your preferred alternative would be to make threats that we are willing to back up?
This isn't a situation where we should be threatening, I'll give you that.But for Obama to attempt to tell Putin what he should be doing is farcical.

Look, all I'm saying is that while given the circumstances I can agree with the cautious tack he's taking I think the verbiage he's using won't diffuse the situation but will further embolden Putin.

I think it would have been better if he'd been briefer. "Turkey was within its rights and Russia should be more careful." And not go telling Putin what he ought to be doing. It amounts to a triple dog dare.

Yes, Putin's plans are starting to falter due to ego and lack of long term strategy. Fact of the matter is he still likes his day job and Russia and Turkey ultimately have very little to gain from more than token escalation. This is about Russia's bombing of anti-Assad rebels in Syria, the sanctity of Turkish airspace, and the life of one (or possibly two) Russian pilots. That is nowhere near high stakes enough to trigger a high scale world calamity, and the Syrian/Turkey border is ultimately too far away from Russia to represent and real threat (besides Putin wanting to save face). I'm not saying it's a complete non-issue, but people are over-reacting and knee jerking to a barrage of social media and a 24 hours "news" cycle from questionable resources. Obama and NATO won't ignore this, but I would bet in several weeks if you re-read your posts; even you'll recognize some of the overreaction.
I'm gonna say that blocking the Bosporus to the Russian Navy is a major problem if it comes to that. Let's hope you're right on all of the above.

I think the response to both Georgia and Crimea were tepid at best.WAS there even a response?
Yes. But perhaps it's not what you wanted.

Obama spoke out very harshly, and I believe he suspended some trade agreements. But he could have:

1. Cut off even more trade, creating an economic crisis.

2. Sent military aid to Georgia and Ukraine.

3. Offer military guarantees to Georgia and Ukraine.

4. Send troops.

Beyond these 4 alternatives, none of which we chose to do, I can't think of anything else that would have been less "tepid". Can you? Or do you think we should have chosen one of these 4 options?
Just a point of clarification, the Russian invasion of the South Ossetia and Abkhazia regions of Georgia took place in August of 2008 during the final months of the Bush 43 presidency.

You strike me as the kinda guy who thinks Trump would make a better president than Obama.
Well then you'd better pay closer attention. Trump is dangerous and would be a horrible president.

Users who are viewing this thread