What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TV shows that replaced actors (1 Viewer)

Cliff Clavin

Footballguy
Parks and Recreation: Donna - same character, different actress

New Girl: the black roommate was swapped out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chuck Cunningham was completely wiped out of the Happy Days universe. I figure he went to Korea and died. Richie went insane, and the rest of the series is only happening in his mind.

On Psych, Lassiter's partner was kicked off after the pilot in favor of Maggie Lawson's character Juliet O'Hara. They addressed it in the show, but clearly someone wanted a different character in that role. At some point, the star of the show James Rodan and Lawson started dating paralleling the romance between their characters on the show.

Cliff Clavin said:

They never really had this being the same guy. It was actually Coach (Damon Wayans Jr.) in the pilot, then they developed Winston for future shows, but brought Coach back last season.

ETA: Who else played Donna on P&R? Never saw those...

Last edited by a moderator:
Cliff Clavin said:

This was actually written into the story... it wasn't an actor swap. They were two separate characters. The original actor was Damon Wayans Jr. and he is now back on the show... along with the original token black guy.

Cliff Clavin said:
I thought it has always been Retta.
Trying to find something to confirm that it was different but I can't. I watched the first episode at lunch today and was sure it was someone different. She didn't have any lines but was sitting at a table with the rest of the regulars.

Cliff Clavin said:

They never really had this being the same guy. It was actually Coach (Damon Wayans Jr.) in the pilot, then they developed Winston for future shows, but brought Coach back last season.

Cliff Clavin said:

This was actually written into the story... it wasn't an actor swap. They were two separate characters. The original actor was Damon Wayans Jr. and he is now back on the show... along with the original token black guy.
Ah. I've only watched a bit of the first season. I thought they were swapped actors and just made up a half-assed story.

Cliff Clavin said:
I thought it has always been Retta.
Trying to find something to confirm that it was different but I can't. I watched the first episode at lunch today and was sure it was someone different. She didn't have any lines but was sitting at a table with the rest of the regulars.
It has been awhile since I watched the pilot, but Wikipedia says Retta was Donna in the pilot.

In the pilot of Eight is Enough, Mark Hamill played David Bradford, but was replaced by Grant Goodeve for the second episode to go play Luke Skywalker.

whatever happened to the original Cleveland Jr. on Family Guy? Loved that kid. "I'm Daniel Boone. ha. ha. ha. ha. "

Cliff Clavin said:

Cliff Clavin said:

Ah. I've only watched a bit of the first season. I thought they were swapped actors and just made up a half-assed story.
Oh, you're right, they did. Damon Wayans Jr filmed the New Girl pilot before Happy Endings was picked up as a series. When New Girl got picked up, Wayans was already committed to Happy Endings so they replaced him with a new actor. They did change the character's name from Coach to Winston to avoid people going "they replaced the token black guy and hoped no one would notice." After Happy Endings was axed, Wayans was available again and they've worked him back in to the show as Coach, the pilot character.

Alice Kramden was played by Sheila MacRae after Audrey Meadows.
Alice was actually played by 4 people -- Pert Kelton in the early episodes on the DuMont network, then Audrey Meadows, then Sue Ane Langdon (for just a couple episodes in the later years), then Sheila MacRae.Trixie was also played by multiple actresses, including Elaine Stritch in the early days.

Users who are viewing this thread