What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Two tackles on one play?! (1 Viewer)

So I have a tight game right now (7 pts) and I don't feel like getting burned by a late-week stat correction. It usually happens when someone has a sack or adjusts for tackles. I'm going against him, so I decided to take a look at James Harrison's play by play. I was hoping to find some kind of error and I found on this play he was credit with TWO solo tackles:

(13:53) 11-D.Culpepper sacked at DET 16 for -6 yards (92-J.Harrison). FUMBLES (92-J.Harrison), and recovers at DET 18. 11-D.Culpepper to DET 18 for no gain (92-J.Harrison).

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009101103/2...post-playbyplay

If it's a strip-sack, how does the defender get credit for a tackle?? the play is not down...I'm not sure if this happens all the time, so I'm just curious if other people know the ruling here...

So I have a tight game right now (7 pts) and I don't feel like getting burned by a late-week stat correction. It usually happens when someone has a sack or adjusts for tackles. I'm going against him, so I decided to take a look at James Harrison's play by play. I was hoping to find some kind of error and I found on this play he was credit with TWO solo tackles:

(13:53) 11-D.Culpepper sacked at DET 16 for -6 yards (92-J.Harrison). FUMBLES (92-J.Harrison), and recovers at DET 18. 11-D.Culpepper to DET 18 for no gain (92-J.Harrison).

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009101103/2...post-playbyplay

If it's a strip-sack, how does the defender get credit for a tackle?? the play is not down...I'm not sure if this happens all the time, so I'm just curious if other people know the ruling here...
Easy one, I think it goes like this:Sacks are automatically credited as tackles (I think forced fumbles work the same way, but I'm not positive of that). Therefore he gets a tackle & a sack plus a forced fumble, and a recovered fumble. Then the LB-sized QB hits him, foring a fumble, who gets the ball back. Harrison then tackles him again.

Yeah, that's right--every sack automatically gets a tackle, too. Dunno on forced fumbles, though.
Yes, forced fumbles are ALWAYS counted as a tackle. In theory you need to "tackle" someone to force a fumble. I have been watching games as the play by play updates for about 10 years now and there are some funky things like that. Such as the fact that when a QB runs out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage the player closest will get credit for a sack. Also, when two players are listed for a tackle it is very important to see if the scorekeeper is using a comma or semicolon between the two players names. A comma will give a solo tackle to the first player and an assist to the 2nd player while a semicolon will give both players assists. That is why some games you will see no players having more than 4 solos while a bunch of guys have 4,5,6 assists a piece. I have noticed this a lot in the Patriots home games.

Yeah, that's right--every sack automatically gets a tackle, too. Dunno on forced fumbles, though.
Yes, forced fumbles are ALWAYS counted as a tackle. In theory you need to "tackle" someone to force a fumble.

I have been watching games as the play by play updates for about 10 years now and there are some funky things like that. Such as the fact that when a QB runs out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage the player closest will get credit for a sack.

Also, when two players are listed for a tackle it is very important to see if the scorekeeper is using a comma or semicolon between the two players names. A comma will give a solo tackle to the first player and an assist to the 2nd player while a semicolon will give both players assists. That is why some games you will see no players having more than 4 solos while a bunch of guys have 4,5,6 assists a piece. I have noticed this a lot in the Patriots home games.
I noticed at one point the bolded was not true in the case of a designed run - so I'd bet some of the option stuff we're seeing will cause that difference to be magnified.

Yes, forced fumbles are ALWAYS counted as a tackle. In theory you need to "tackle" someone to force a fumble.

I have been watching games as the play by play updates for about 10 years now and there are some funky things like that. Such as the fact that when a QB runs out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage the player closest will get credit for a sack.

Also, when two players are listed for a tackle it is very important to see if the scorekeeper is using a comma or semicolon between the two players names. A comma will give a solo tackle to the first player and an assist to the 2nd player while a semicolon will give both players assists. That is why some games you will see no players having more than 4 solos while a bunch of guys have 4,5,6 assists a piece. I have noticed this a lot in the Patriots home games.
I noticed at one point the bolded was not true in the case of a designed run - so I'd bet some of the option stuff we're seeing will cause that difference to be magnified.
Yes, you are correct a designed run will just count as a tackle for loss at that point. But if a QB is scrambling and a defensive player forces him to go out og bounds he will get credit for a sack.

Users who are viewing this thread