What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Umpires have an ERA? (1 Viewer)

Honus

Footballguy
Apparently, Brian Gorman has an ERA of 5.11, fourth highest in the majors. I've never heard about this before, can someone please tell me how this is calculated and what in the world it is supposed to indicate?

Apparently, Brian Gorman has an ERA of 5.11, fourth highest in the majors. I've never heard about this before, can someone please tell me how this is calculated and what in the world it is supposed to indicate?
I didn't hear the comment, but I assume it's the ERA of pitchers in games when Gorman is the ump. While it might not be a tremendously useful stat, it may indicate that he is a hitter-friendly ump (calls a small strike zone or something)... so maybe expect a higher-scoring game...ETA: http://www.baseballprospectus.com/statisti....php?cid=204047

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't hear the comment, but I assume it's the ERA of pitchers in games when Gorman is the ump. While it might not be a tremendously useful stat, it may indicate that he is a hitter-friendly ump (calls a small strike zone or something)... so maybe expect a higher-scoring game...ETA: http://www.baseballprospectus.com/statisti....php?cid=204047
Or he's umpired games with lousy pitchers and/or great hitters. They'd have to adjust the ERA to account for that stuff before it was useful. I'd be interested in knowing what the difference was between the season-long ERA of those pitchers versus the games in which he umpired.

Or he's umpired games with lousy pitchers and/or great hitters. They'd have to adjust the ERA to account for that stuff before it was useful.
Agree. Back when I had way too much time and loved to micromanage my fantasy leagues, I started down the path of rating umpires for use in daily leagues. I paid less attention to the normal stats like ERA (worthless) and WHIP, and just tried to focus on balls, strikes and balls put in play. The simple assumption was the more pitches thrown during an umpire's stay behind the plate, the less "pitcher friendly" that umpire is. Needless to say, it turned out to be way more work than it was worth....

Or he's umpired games with lousy pitchers and/or great hitters. They'd have to adjust the ERA to account for that stuff before it was useful.
Agree. Back when I had way too much time and loved to micromanage my fantasy leagues, I started down the path of rating umpires for use in daily leagues. I paid less attention to the normal stats like ERA (worthless) and WHIP, and just tried to focus on balls, strikes and balls put in play. The simple assumption was the more pitches thrown during an umpire's stay behind the plate, the less "pitcher friendly" that umpire is. Needless to say, it turned out to be way more work than it was worth....
Wow...That's an impressive degree of :goodposting: iness, even for this place

Wow...That's an impressive degree of :bowtie: iness, even for this place
When John McSherry died, I saw it as a sign to quit.

Was Gorman behind the plate last night for the Tribe/Sox game? That guy was awful. I saw more pitchers/batters/catchers/managers justifiably miffed more in this game than in every other game combined I've watched this postseason.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was Gorman behind the plate last night for the Tribe/Sox game? That guy was awful. I saw more pitchers/batters/catchers/managers justifiably miffed more in this game than in every other game combined I've watched this postseason.
I don't watch a ton of baseball, but that was pretty ridiculous. You could have driven a truck through that strike zone. Hell, he added a good 4 inches to the top alone. You would think by now that they would have figured out what the strike zone looks like.

Users who are viewing this thread