What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (8 Viewers)

Tldr... Mex is down, other regional teams are up, US is ok, not "great" or dominant.

I think other teams, including the US, ascending a bit has also helped put Mexico down from their long held tippy top tier of the region.

This team definitely needs outside actual competition to see where they really stand... Which they'll get this summer. They might be there- certainly appear capable of beating top teams.

Tldr... Mex is down, other regional teams are up, US is ok, not "great" or dominant.

I think other teams, including the US, ascending a bit has also helped put Mexico down from their long held tippy top tier of the region.

This team definitely needs outside actual competition to see where they really stand... Which they'll get this summer. They might be there- certainly appear capable of beating top teams.
One of the other major points was that the USMNT has really struggled away from home. Only 3 wins away from home, lowest points per match, and have benefited from hosting a lot of these tournaments and getting to play on home soil.

One of the other major points was that the USMNT has really struggled away from home. Only 3 wins away from home, lowest points per match, and have benefited from hosting a lot of these tournaments and getting to play on home soil.
It's a solid point- especially getting to play at home for all the regional cups.

But concacaf away games are their own brutal things and shouldn't be held as much against the US as it might for a euro team playing away.

It's a fair point, although the fact that the road games they do play are largely on crappy fields against parked buses with lots of hard fouling and shenanigans is somewhat mitigating. Don't get me wrong - the fact that they consistently struggle to break down bunkered defenses is concerning. It would be great if they could play road games against Top 20 teams to see where they truly stand again nations that we'd hope they could be "peers" of. I wish the US wasn't hosting Copa for that reason. It's a shame they just can't merge the NA and SA confeds already as that'd be great for the US long term.

It's a solid point- especially getting to play at home for all the regional cups.

But concacaf away games are their own brutal things and shouldn't be held as much against the US as it might for a euro team playing away.

It's a fair point, although the fact that the road games they do play are largely on crappy fields against parked buses with lots of hard fouling and shenanigans is somewhat mitigating. Don't get me wrong - the fact that they consistently struggle to break down bunkered defenses is concerning. It would be great if they could play road games against Top 20 teams to see where they truly stand again nations that we'd hope they could be "peers" of. I wish the US wasn't hosting Copa for that reason. It's a shame they just can't merge the NA and SA confeds already as that'd be great for the US long term.
Yeah, but it's not just that they are struggling. They are getting far fewer away points in CONCACAF than previous US teams.

I don't think it's a coincidence that our previous teams were just better suited to that style of play. Having almost exclusive Europe based club players now hurts in that situation.

But those away games have always been on crappy fields with hard fouling and the dark arts and we used to get more points in those situations.

2022: 0.86 ppg
2018: 0.60 ppg
2014: 1.40 ppg
2010: 1.40 ppg
2006: 1.40 ppg
2002: 1.00 ppg
1998: 1.20 ppg

3 wins out of 12 away CONCACAF matches just isn't good.

Yeah, but it's not just that they are struggling. They are getting far fewer away points in CONCACAF than previous US teams.

I don't think it's a coincidence that our previous teams were just better suited to that style of play. Having almost exclusive Europe based club players now hurts in that situation.

But those away games have always been on crappy fields with hard fouling and the dark arts and we used to get more points in those situations.

2022: 0.86 ppg
2018: 0.60 ppg
2014: 1.40 ppg
2010: 1.40 ppg
2006: 1.40 ppg
2002: 1.00 ppg
1998: 1.20 ppg

3 wins out of 12 away CONCACAF matches just isn't good.
I think it's much more that regional competition has improved a lot and are aware that the US has too.

We used to be able to beat teams on fitness- could count on the smaller countries fading hard in the 2nd half. And they didn't have to really gameplan for the US- games were pretty wide open and tactically naive.

Just trying to say it's not as simple as- the US is worse away only because we're somehow a worse team.

I think it's much more that regional competition has improved a lot and are aware that the US has too.

We used to be able to beat teams on fitness- could count on the smaller countries fading hard in the 2nd half. And they didn't have to really gameplan for the US- games were pretty wide open and tactically naive.

Just trying to say it's not as simple as- the US is worse away only because we're somehow a worse team.
Would you also point to (the) MLS being why the regional teams have gotten better? I don't think the CONCACAF minnows are sending more players to Europe, but they are definitely sending more players to all levels in the US. There are also players growing up in the US, playing pro or semi pro in the US and choosing to play for countries they have roots in because they won't get on the US squads.

Some more Cavan info today from The Athletic.

City is paying $2.1M base and up to $5m for Cavan. Philly retain a major sell on % (number not listed).

Most interesting is that a City source says they expect Cavan to be getting first team minutes in Philly as early as next season.

Last edited:
But to Zaius' point... Yeah, the US has to figure out how to break these teams down in their super low blocks. I could be wrong, but IMO that's a big difference from old away games where teams would go at the US.
Yup. I remember the Honduras and Costa Rica games where they thought they were Mexico and could out technique the USMNT and instead would get beat to every second ball and players like Landycakes and Cobi feasting on tired legs toward the end of the game to get a counterattacking goal.

Those teams gave up those tactics and instead now want to play ultra compact and wait for the US to make an errant pass to try and snatch a counter goal themselves.

Most interesting is that a City source says they expect Cavan to be getting first team minutes in Philly as early as next season.
16 year olds typically struggle against seasoned pros. Even a year to get to 17 makes a hell of a difference, let alone 18.
Yes. He will be only 15 next year. It will be interesting to see how they manage this. I assume he would only be a late game sub for the most part.

the talent is there, unfortunately the coaching is not...Berhalter will be exposed yet again in the Copa

16 year olds typically struggle against seasoned pros. Even a year to get to 17 makes a hell of a difference, let alone 18.
Yes. He will be only 15 next year. It will be interesting to see how they manage this. I assume he would only be a late game sub for the most part.
He officially turns 15 at the end of September. As I said above, I’m not interested in seeing him on the first team this season at all unless he is truly ready for it.

I will say that Cavan has been routinely playing against (and mostly dominating) older age levels since he was 11/12. Obviously, playing against grown men in MLS would be a massive leap, but if he really is as elite as the hype indicates is possible, it shouldn’t be ridiculous for him to at least hold his own sometime next year at late-15/16 yo

In the "it can't go in if it is not on target" category, Josh Sargent is crushing it.

Of the top 20 scorers in the Championship, he has by far the highest shot accuracy, at 82%. The second highest is way down at 69%.

Haji is at 50%.

Haji and Sargent remain deadlock, tied for 6th in scoring.

Sargent continues to have the highest goals per 90 of the top 20 scorers. Only Vardy is close. The player in 3rd place has almost half as many goals per 90 as Sargent.

it shouldn’t be ridiculous for him to at least hold his own sometime next year at late-15/16 yo
Yes it's true that Pele played pro at 15 and was a starter for Santos at 16 but that was a different time and place and that was Pele. Messi didn't see first team action until he was 17 I think.

A 15 or 16 year old boy playing against grown *** men is inadvisable IMO. Too risky physically and psychologically.

Saw something from the USMNT ONLY Facebook page that Valentin castellanos is considering switching to the US. Seems like nonsense (his only tie is that he played for nycfc for a few years and got his green card) but would obviously be a big pickup.

Doesn't look like he ever got a senior call up for Argentina

Edit: looks like it's making the rounds on Twitter as well
This is an interesting rumor. Taty is the guy who scored 4 times against Real Madrid last year.

But what I don't understand is how can he switch when he is not a US citizen.....? He lives in Italy now so I don't think he can do the normal green card to citizenship path. But I have never understood the citizenship rules.
Transfermarkt shows he has US Citizenship now. He and Luciano Acosta both may be eligible by Copa America.

Reyna subbed in at the 60 minute mark today and with in seconds had a hockey assist for the tying goal.
He was pretty lively but not anything special on that play. Forest really began to dominate a game they weren't really in once he came on the pitch (to be fair, several changes at one time).

it shouldn’t be ridiculous for him to at least hold his own sometime next year at late-15/16 yo
Yes it's true that Pele played pro at 15 and was a starter for Santos at 16 but that was a different time and place and that was Pele. Messi didn't see first team action until he was 17 I think.

A 15 or 16 year old boy playing against grown *** men is inadvisable IMO. Too risky physically and psychologically.
Not comparing the two at all, but Wayne Rooney debuted at Everton at 16 and played very well. Granted he was a tank physically but it’s not unprecedented.

But again, I don’t want to see him at all until the Union deem him ready to handle it. And their track record with homegrowns supports the notion that they’ll take due care in not rushing him.

Reyna subbed in at the 60 minute mark today and with in seconds had a hockey assist for the tying goal.
He was pretty lively but not anything special on that play. Forest really began to dominate a game they weren't really in once he came on the pitch (to be fair, several changes at one time).
I did not watch but his stats looked positive.

33 touches in 30 minutes. 22/22 in passing and a shot on goal.

Not comparing the two at all, but Wayne Rooney debuted at Everton at 16 and played very well. Granted he was a tank physically but it’s not unprecedented.

But again, I don’t want to see him at all until the Union deem him ready to handle it. And their track record with homegrowns supports the notion that they’ll take due care in not rushing him.
I guess you guys are right that some players can handle it with the men at age 16, but Cavan looks tiny still.

Wow... PSVs first loss.

I watched all of Burnmouth. Looked like a 4-4-2, with Adams in the middle as a paired flat 6.

I know his rating was high... But I'd didn't see a lot from him today. That's not necessarily bad from your 6, and I could see he was doing decent, not great job with passing lanes and spacing- particularly with getting forward to support that space in attack. I didn't like the relationship with the other CM, too many gaps and seeming lack of coordination about who to pick up.

But he didn't make any errors (other than swinging a leg at Calvert Lewin in the box that really could've been called a PK... Also was dragged down himself for what could have been a PK earlier) and covered space and ground well. Seemed like he grew into the game on the ball more as it progressed- which makes sense considering he's just getting back into things. Would've liked to have seen him playing more longer balls the way he did for the US... But that will come too as he gets his feet under him with his teammates.

I guess you guys are right that some players can handle it with the men at age 16, but Cavan looks tiny still.
Well sheet, man- 14yo Freddy Adu says hold my beer.

Wow... PSVs first loss.

I watched all of Burnmouth. Looked like a 4-4-2, with Adams in the middle as a paired flat 6.

I know his rating was high... But I'd didn't see a lot from him today. That's not necessarily bad from your 6, and I could see he was doing decent, not great job with passing lanes and spacing- particularly with getting forward to support that space in attack. I didn't like the relationship with the other CM, too many gaps and seeming lack of coordination about who to pick up.

But he didn't make any errors (other than swinging a leg at Calvert Lewin in the box that really could've been called a PK... Also was dragged down himself for what could have been a PK earlier) and covered space and ground well. Seemed like he grew into the game on the ball more as it progressed- which makes sense considering he's just getting back into things. Would've liked to have seen him playing more longer balls the way he did for the US... But that will come too as he gets his feet under him with his teammates.
Tyler Adams heatmap

Users who are viewing this thread