What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US special ops forces launch raid in northwest Syria (1 Viewer)

cosjobs

Footballguy
Probably doesn't belong in the Politics Forum. Yet. I give it 10 posts, max.

WASHINGTON (AP) — U.S. special operations forces conducted a large-scale counterterrorism raid in northwestern Syria overnight Thursday, in what the Pentagon said was a “successful mission.”

“The mission was successful," Pentagon press secretary John Kirby said in a brief statement. "There were no U.S. casualties. More information will be provided as it becomes available.”

The raid was in Syria’s rebel-held northwestern province of Idlib. The Pentagon provided no details on who was the target of the raid, or if any enemies or civilians on the ground were killed or injured. Idlib is home to several top al-Qaida operatives.

No more details. Yet.

Imo, these things are very dicey, but if there is a clear and present terroristic threat, or even the beginnings of a serious, organized one, we gotta do what we have to do. Exactly my take whoever is President.

NBC just alerted That children died in Syria.  Why can’t we have nice things?
Lets all just CHILL OUT please!!!   These kinds of thing can and do get misreported, especially by our awful, horrible, ""We told you first" media mindset.   It would be kinda nice of folks didn't just pop in here and repeat whatever their "alerts" are telling them.

He took himself out, suicide bomb after being surrounded. Nice job troops, IC, all involved. 

Was only 15 miles from where previous ISIS leader was killed. Nice neighborhood. 

So, our propogandist media is blaming the deaths of children on US forces now?  And NOT the coward that blew himself up WITH A BOMB and probably that's what killed those children?

So, our propogandist media is blaming the deaths of children on US forces now?  And NOT the coward that blew himself up WITH A BOMB and probably that's what killed those children?
The headline on CNN's website reads "Bomb exploded by counterterrorism target resulted in civilian causalities, administration sources tell CNN".  Is that not our current understanding of what happened?

Seemed like everything was working with this. Bad guy died, media reported stuff, details unfolded, media reported more. 

What am I missing?

In a perfect world no one gets killed. It appears this guy blew himself and these other people up.

From my perspective no issue with going after this guy, no issue with how it has been reported so far. 
I wish I took a screenshot of the notification.  I’ll have to watch some middle eastern news tonight now.

Maybe somebody should look at what has been happening in Yemen the past few years. We are turning a blind eye while our bombs (Saudi is using them) kills thousands.
It’s a different ideology in the ME, no doubt.  I just found it curious that CNN’s first notification led off with children dead.

How it was written, NBC basically did the same.
I didn't see the initial reports but there is something to be said about the old "if it bleeds, it leads" type fo reporting.

At the same time that goes against the idea that these outlets do all they can to protect this administration at least in this instance.

I didn't see the initial reports but there is something to be said about the old "if it bleeds, it leads" type fo reporting.

At the same time that goes against the idea that these outlets do all they can to protect this administration at least in this instance.
The main focus of the story is ISIS related, not that children died.  Right off the bat, it potentially makes us look bad.

The main focus of the story is ISIS related, not that children died.  Right off the bat, it potentially makes us look bad.
If that is the case it definitely goes against the protecting the WH line of thought. Sensational headlines get clicks I suppose.

The media got lit up on their coverage of the family that was accidentally killed by drone as we were evacuating Afghanistan. But, a few reporters kept on the story and eventually got the military to acknowledge it. 

In any case it's a bit weird to say it's a good day, but ultimately taking out the latest leader is a success.  Limited casualties - all on the bad guys side, mission went well, we got good intel, etc.

FWIW, the CBS news (which I don't follow but somehow was the top of my apple news feed) version of the story. The headline

"Biden details US raid that led to death of ISIS leader in Syria" 

One note in the article- "Officials did not provide a figure on how many civilians died in the raid, but said the numbers in some media reports didn't match the information they had. They stated multiple times that "all casualties at the site were due to the acts of ISIS terrorists inside the residence."

I think we all need to ditch CNN. Who has the time for that in their life. We got enough problems without  the constant sensationalism. 

FWIW, the CBS news (which I don't follow but somehow was the top of my apple news feed) version of the story. The headline

One note in the article- "Officials did not provide a figure on how many civilians died in the raid, but said the numbers in some media reports didn't match the information they had. They stated multiple times that "all casualties at the site were due to the acts of ISIS terrorists inside the residence."

I think we all need to ditch CNN. Who has the time for that in their life. We got enough problems without  the constant sensationalism. 
I don't have a dog in the CNN sucks fight...but at the time this was reported wasn't that all that was available?

The State Department hadn't given updates. 

Remember back when they used to kill "the number three guy" in Al Qaeda every few months like clockwork. 

Was thinking about that for no particular reason this afternoon.

Good job troops.  Good job President Biden.  

It's garbage if any of the MSM made this about children's deaths.  I think making THAT the headline implies the troops/leadership could have done better.  Biden made the point in his speech--they could have done an air strike and been done with it.  He asked our troops to take on more risk to minimize civilian casualties.  Then he blows himself and others up.  

Yes!  Censor the media!  That's a great start.

Or...hold them accountable in a reasoned debate in the light of day.

I'll go with the second option; tia.

Good job troops.  Good job President Biden.  

It's garbage if any of the MSM made this about children's deaths.  I think making THAT the headline implies the troops/leadership could have done better.  Biden made the point in his speech--they could have done an air strike and been done with it.  He asked our troops to take on more risk to minimize civilian casualties.  Then he blows himself and others up.  
I didn’t see these alerts but I believe at the time this was the story. An explosion, US troops involved, women and children among the dead. By the time I woke up there were more details and the stories were updating as the info came in.

To me there wasn’t much wrong in how this was reported. 

Yes!  Censor the media!  That's a great start.

Or...hold them accountable in a reasoned debate in the light of day.

I'll go with the second option; tia.
This is related to my recent personal project of reflecting on the amount of bias and sensationalism that I had been consuming. It was meant more like an appeal to up your fiber intake and eat less junk food. I can see how it was interpreted how you reacted here.

Trying to understand why the former President could so recklessly have had highly classified documents with our spy information in a unsecured location and why it doesn't matter to some here. Despite seeing those defending him no matter what, blowing this off as a nothingburger I just can't wrap my head around that kind of thinking. Nor understand why the h### he had it.
You have to remember, these people are heavily personally invested in Trump as their ruler. They’ve destroyed relationships, realigned their social circles, given money away, said awful things to loved ones…they are all in.

This sense of country over party, that you and I feel, isnt something that they feel. It’s win or everybody cheated. They simply need to feel validated otherwise what was all that personal destruction for? You won’t reach them. They simply don’t care because it’s Trump then party then country.

Trying to understand why the former President could so recklessly have had highly classified documents with our spy information in a unsecured location and why it doesn't matter to some here. Despite seeing those defending him no matter what, blowing this off as a nothingburger I just can't wrap my head around that kind of thinking. Nor understand why the h### he had it.
You have to remember, these people are heavily personally invested in Trump as their ruler. They’ve destroyed relationships, realigned their social circles, given money away, said awful things to loved ones…they are all in.

This sense of country over party, that you and I feel, isnt something that they feel. It’s win or everybody cheated. They simply need to feel validated otherwise what was all that personal destruction for? You won’t reach them. They simply don’t care because it’s Trump then party then country.
Was this supposed to be in the "it was a tremendous raid" thread?

Was this supposed to be in the "it was a tremendous raid" thread?
Appreciate your comments Saber anyway. Thought I posted mine in the wrong place.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread