What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

USA Shootings (10 Viewers)

#1 the background check forms ask mental health questions - he lied

#2 he went to a school he was banned from

#3 he carried a gun to a gun free zone

#4 he shot people, he killed people

I'm sure there are a LOT of charges coming his way, dozens of laws he broke.

Everyone is not a criminal until they become one, that's true.
It doesn't ask a general question.  Unless he has ever been institutionalized (I have no reason to believe he has) your post is the only false statement at issue here.

I didn't realize lying is a crime.   Also, I'm no expert on the background checks required to purchase a gun, but if they are like any other background check that I've been subject to it goes beyond a questionnaire.  If it's just a series of yes/no questions and he correctly filled out the bubbles to walk away with an assault rifle then we have a major problem with our background checks, but unfortunately you and your fellow terrorists oppose stronger background checks.  
it is on a federal gun buying form, damn right

http://www.mkpvlaw.com/posts/gun-background-checks-can-trigger-arrests-on-felony-charges/

These forms ask about your criminal history and whether you have had any issues with mental health, among other factors.  The documents gun buyers must fill out also explain that if you "knowingly and intentionally" provide a false answer, you could be charged with a criminal offense. 

I'd like to see a FL form, maybe its different there

It's guaranteed to have some effect.  Maybe is reduces all school shootings (unlikely), maybe it reduces the frequency, maybe it reduces the body count, or maybe it increases the number of school shootings (also unlikely).  We can't say exactly what that effect is, which IMHO is why we do it.  
but putting armed guards or high fencing/compounds around schools is just out of the question even though they would have effects too without infringing on 99.9% of the people who do nothing wrong with their guns

but putting armed guards or high fencing/compounds around schools is just out of the question even though they would have effects too without infringing on 99.9% of the people who do nothing wrong with their guns
Please, please, PLEASE everyone make sure you understand that @Stealthycat has a vision of an America where kids go to school in prisons. If there is anything you take away at all from all his rambling, please do NOT ignore that one fact. 

These forms ask [...] whether you have had any issues with mental health 
No they don't.  They ask very specific questions about specific mental health issues.  There is no reason to believe he should have answered "yes"

Question 11.b. – 11.l. Definition of Prohibited Person: Generally, 18 U.S.C. § 922 prohibits the shipment, transportation, receipt, or possession in or affecting interstate commerce of a firearm by one who: has been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence; has been convicted of a felony, or any other crime, punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year (this does not include State misdemeanors punishable by imprisonment of two years or less); is a fugitive from justice; is an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, or narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance; has been adjudicated mentally defective or has been committed to a mental institution; has been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions; has renounced his or her U.S. citizenship; is an alien illegally in the United States or a nonimmigrant alien; or is subject to certain restraining orders. Furthermore, section 922 prohibits the shipment, transportation, or receipt in or affecting interstate commerce of a firearm by one who is under indictment or information for a felony, or any other crime, punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year.

Question 11.b. Under Indictment or Information or Convicted in any Court: An indictment, information, or conviction in any Federal, State, or local court. An information is a formal accusation of a crime verified by a prosecutor.

Last edited by a moderator:
you would literally impact gun crimes 1% overall and maybe 2% school shooting and that's assuming the criminals didn't use other guns which they would

its like saying auto accidents, we've had enough ! and banning corvettes because they go 165 mph. Even though corvettes represent only 1% of total crashes, and then claiming how great we are because we've passed ban's to make everyone safer on the roads :(
continuing to make up irrelevant statistics doesn't make your argument any better.

I missed that you were referring to AR-15s in specific (thread is moving fast).  Anyway, what they were designed for, though, seems largely irrelevant since civilians are legally allowed to buy them and use them for non-murder purposes.  
That's the point of making them illegal.  If it were legal to purchase a rocket launcher shouldn't we consider changing the law?  I might just want to use it to open a particularly tight lid on a pickle jar, but that doesn't mean that we need to ignore the fact that there's a significant danger that many people might be using them for less pickle-loving purposes.

First off, there are thousands of people with that name. Thousands and thousands. And that's assuming that the member name that's being named is the guy's real name. 

Answer my question, would you be ok with allowing the FBI access to member's real identity on social media sites?
I already answered your question when I said don't be naive by thinking the FBI can't get that information if they want to.

I missed that you were referring to AR-15s in specific (thread is moving fast).  Anyway, what they were designed for, though, seems largely irrelevant since civilians are legally allowed to buy them and use them for non-murder purposes.  
Gun manufactures, through decades of lobbying, got politicians to make them exempt from lawsuits of foreseeable misuse. Lawsuits of foreseeable misuse are ruled on a case by case basis. It's the burden of the plantiff to show that the misuse was reasonably foreseeable, and the burden of the defendant to show that the misuse was not reasonably foreseeable.  If say, for example, people in the community of Parkland, FL decided to sue the gun manufacturer of the weapon Cruz used, their burden would be harder if his weapon was a hunting rifle, a skeet shooting rifle, or a handgun. The fact that he used a AR-15 would make their burden easy, as how Cruz used it was how it was designed to be used. He was an army of one and attacked his foe like an infantryman would. The fact that one could use an AR-15 in other ways is irrelevant to the fact that Cruz used it was it was designed to be used. But again, no one can sue the gun manufacturer for this because the NRA owns politicians. 

So there is some level of school shootings that is okay for us to have experienced this year, but that level is "probably not" as high as 6.

Yes we understand what you meant. And it's sickening. 
Define ok.  Statistically or our personal wishes of zero?  You're making a lot of assumptions to deflect from me simply pointing out the numbers you were using for school shooting was wrong.

I see things are progressing nicely. 

People don't generally change their opinions. Unlike our representatives in Washington, a persons vote is private. The more you push some people, the more they dig in on their stance. 

I'm headed out to a friends cabin for a little whiskey, a little poker and some much need peace and quiet.

I hope you all have a great weekend. 

Define ok.  Statistically or our personal wishes of zero?  You're making a lot of assumptions to deflect from me simply pointing out the numbers you were using for school shooting was wrong.
1 incident is not ok.

By you saying "probably not", the burden is on you to define what number is ok. and with that justifying why it's ok. 

So, you would agree with me then that the laws and regulations we currently have aren’t working very well?

I think we might be getting on some common ground here. Idk...

I absolutely support the 2nd Amendment. Maybe one way to help track the criminal shooters in advance is to have gun owners submit to home searches and questioning by the FBI periodically, say once a month. What happens is that the FBI knocks on everyone's door once a month. If you are a gun owner, they come in and ask questions of everyone in the house. Make sure they're not crazy, like this kid absolutely was. If they are crazy, remove the guns, and perhaps charge them with a crime. If you lie about owning a gun, you get arrested.

We can have guns, but not crazy people with guns. So what we have to do interview all the gun owners periodically to make sure they're not crazy. If I buy a gun, I would absolutely allow this. I have nothing to hide. The key is not to focus on the kids' schools, because after all the kids aren't the ones who did anything wrong. It's the gun owners that turn into criminals who did something wrong. So the key is to catch gun owners before they turn into criminals, therefore we need to watch gun owners very, very closely.

Marco Rubio doesn't believe gun reform is an option but does believe that blaming the FBI for the Florida incident is totally OK.

What a horrible, disgusting human he is. 

ETA - this doesn't mean the FBI couldn't have done better here. But blaming them while swimming in millions from the NRA is beyond pathetic. 

You are actively supporting an organization that is suppressing the sorts of improvements many here (including yourself, it seems) are saying they'd be on board with making.  This falls right in line with your support of Trump, who's administration is doing exactly the opposite of what you want to see done.  
The ACLU supported the removal of that last suggested laws of 75,000 welfare laws too. Do you support the ACLU or what they do ?

The NRA .... is THE pro-gun association and I will support it. If their sets of lawyers and professionals see a suggested law as having no merit and infringing on my 2nd amendment rights I'll trust them over CNN to know what's right.

I expect liberals to trust CNN, that's just the way it seems to be.

As I have said, I am for extended background checks and additions for the right reasons.
So you DON'T support the law changes/proposals you said you supported just a few pages ago?  Because you can't support the NRA and follow their lead AND believe in the things you said you were a proponent of before.  Do you even know the NRA's position on these proposals?  Your need to compare this to things that aren't similar is telling.  I don't know who you think you're fooling.  How about challenging yourself to look at this shooting problem in a vacuum.  It's easy to do.  It's necessary to do.  I have no idea what you are talking about with the ACLU, but if you'd like to open a thread and point me to what you're talking about, I'd be happy to give my :2cents: AFTER educating myself on the topic.

The ACLU supported the removal of that last suggested laws of 75,000 welfare laws too. Do you support the ACLU or what they do ?

The NRA .... is THE pro-gun association and I will support it. If their sets of lawyers and professionals see a suggested law as having no merit and infringing on my 2nd amendment rights I'll trust them over CNN to know what's right.

I expect liberals to trust CNN, that's just the way it seems to be.

As I have said, I am for extended background checks and additions for the right reasons.
Let me approach a different way.  How do you support an organization that resists the things you are "for"?  Or better yet, why do you support a group who is actively fighting against the things you claim to support?  Just because they are the only game in town that you might agree with here or there?  

What laws did he break before he shot up the school?  He was a "responsible gun owner".  That's the problem with that argument.  Everyone is a responsible gun owner until someone gets shot.
He checked the “no” box on the form where it asked him “are you going to use this assault weapon to murder lots of people?”

And, if he hadn't had access to the gun, Numbers 1,3 & 4 wouldn't be on your list.  Imagine if the worst thing we were debating was "what punishment he should get for showing up at a school he was banned from?" 

1 incident is not ok.

By you saying "probably not", the burden is on you to define what number is ok. and with that justifying why it's ok. 
Except it wasn't 6 shootings is acceptable or "ok".  You said "6 shootings sounds like a good year". 

As I've stated I'm not familiar with the trend.  Year to date of 6 may be a "good" trend as compared last year or previous years, I don't know.  I doubt it though, so I said "probably not".  Like it or not there isn't a very high probability that there will be zero school shootings in 2019, for all the reasons debated in this thread.  If we are ever going to get to zero we're going to need some better years in between.

No, we're pointing out that you said 6 school shootings (it's really 8 under your math), is "probably not" ok.   The fact that there is any doubt about whether any school shootings are ok tends to show that you either lack credibility or that you're a sociopath.  It's not a really big reach to say "school shootings are not ok" without some kind of qualifier.

Except it wasn't 6 shootings is acceptable or "ok".  You said "6 shootings sounds like a good year". 

As I've stated I'm not familiar with the trend.  Year to date of 6 may be a "good" trend as compared last year or previous years, I don't know.  I doubt it though, so I said "probably not".  Like it or not there isn't a very high probability that there will be zero school shootings in 2019, for all the reasons debated in this thread.  If we are ever going to get to zero we're going to need some better years in between.
I responded facetiously to your response given how ridiculous it was. Whether it's 6 or 18, it's still horrific. 

Even if 6 at this point of the year is lower than last year, so what? We haven't done anything to solve the problem, so if it's down this year, it would simply be an aberration. We've done nothing to think things may improve. 

Gun manufactures, through decades of lobbying, got politicians to make them exempt from lawsuits of foreseeable misuse. Lawsuits of foreseeable misuse are ruled on a case by case basis. It's the burden of the plantiff to show that the misuse was reasonably foreseeable, and the burden of the defendant to show that the misuse was not reasonably foreseeable.  If say, for example, people in the community of Parkland, FL decided to sue the gun manufacturer of the weapon Cruz used, their burden would be harder if his weapon was a hunting rifle, a skeet shooting rifle, or a handgun. The fact that he used a AR-15 would make their burden easy, as how Cruz used it was how it was designed to be used. He was an army of one and attacked his foe like an infantryman would. The fact that one could use an AR-15 in other ways is irrelevant to the fact that Cruz used it was it was designed to be used. But again, no one can sue the gun manufacturer for this because the NRA owns politicians. 

Thanks, I was largely ignorant on this issue and this prompted to me to read up a little.  I guess I support the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act for the same reason Bernie Sanders originally did.   

we had laws and safeguards and procedures in place and they failed - they need to be 100% and that's a high expectation

The agency in a statement admitted receiving a call on Jan. 5, 2018 from a person close to Cruz who contacted the FBI through its Public Access Line tipline to express concerns about Cruz's erratic behavior and disturbing social media posts.

"Under established protocols, the information provided by the caller should have been assessed as a potential threat to life," the statement said. "We have determined that these protocols were not followed for the information received by the PAL on January 5."

In concluded that the caller's information was not forwarded to the Miami FBI field office and "no further investigation was conducted at the time." FBI Director Christopher Wray said the Bureau would review what had happened.

I responded facetiously to your response given how ridiculous it was. Whether it's 6 or 18, it's still horrific. 

Even if 6 at this point of the year is lower than last year, so what? We haven't done anything to solve the problem, so if it's down this year, it would simply be an aberration. We've done nothing to think things may improve. 
I never said it wasn't horrific.  That was you putting words in my mouth.  If you want to track improvement you have to be honest and accurate with your numbers.  Inflating them because it's a horrific topic doesn't help anything.

Thanks, I was largely ignorant on this issue and this prompted to me to read up a little.  I guess I support the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act for the same reason Bernie Sanders originally did.   
I'm glad you said originally, because he has since supported a proposal in Washington to repeal the 2005 law provided that it preserves liability protections for "small gun stores in rural America that serve the hunting community." 

He's opposed to the law, but toes the line of his voting constituents in New Hampshire. They're rural and hunt. 

I never said it wasn't horrific.  That was you putting words in my mouth.  If you want to track improvement you have to be honest and accurate with your numbers.  Inflating them because it's a horrific topic doesn't help anything.
There's no improvement to track until we actually do something for improvement. 

This is a great post. Thank you for it.

I'm glad you said originally, because he has since supported a proposal in Washington to repeal the 2005 law provided that it preserves liability protections for "small gun stores in rural America that serve the hunting community." 

He's opposed to the law, but toes the line of his voting constituents in New Hampshire. They're rural and hunt. 
Makes sense and ties into my thoughts from the ADA thread as it relates to corporations vs local business. 

BAT1man   

Its unfathomable to me how a guy that has had multiple instance with the school, has been expelled, had 35 calls to his house over 5 years for reports of violence, has violence on his social media, has had multiple mental institutional visits, very likely on heavy med's, depression, had the FBI called at least twice on him, had everyone saying how dangerous he was, how he could ride Uber to the school he was banned at and a school that doesn't allow guns, step out, carry an AR15 across a campus, use it and fire 150 shots with a armed guard somewhere at the school but nowhere around, and walk away to a soda at Walk-Mart and then to McDonalds and eat a lunch ..... and all that tells a liberal is that the gun is at fault. I mean wow, SO many ways that this kid could have been identified as a serious threat, and he wasn't over and over and over and when he finally snapped blame the weapon he chose?
There were failures all over the place. Only one of those failures was allowing this mentally ill person obtain a gun. 

The root causes are being ignored, while some people think the only response is to take away guns from everybody. 

I’m all for restricting gun purchases for the mentally unstable.  I’m against banning guns.

There were failures all over the place. Only one of those failures was allowing this mentally ill person obtain a gun. 

The root causes are being ignored, while some people think the only response is to take away guns from everybody. 

I’m all for restricting gun purchases for the mentally unstable.  I’m against banning guns.
A majority of Americans agree, but for some reason our politicians are too afraid to do anything about it.   

And, if he hadn't had access to the gun, Numbers 1,3 & 4 wouldn't be on your list.  Imagine if the worst thing we were debating was "what punishment he should get for showing up at a school he was banned from?" 
you can dream all you want to, guns are NEVER going away in the United States

keeping that focus will not lead to any solutions to stopping crazy wacko people

Please, please, PLEASE everyone make sure you understand that @Stealthycat has a vision of an America where kids go to school in prisons. If there is anything you take away at all from all his rambling, please do NOT ignore that one fact. 
Please everyone, make sure you understand Politician Spock doesn't want anyone held to personal accountability for their actions and wants to blame inanimate objects for the things people choose to so and he doesn't want to improve safety in schools at all because it would make them "prisons"

I absolutely support the 2nd Amendment. Maybe one way to help track the criminal shooters in advance is to have gun owners submit to home searches and questioning by the FBI periodically, say once a month. What happens is that the FBI knocks on everyone's door once a month. If you are a gun owner, they come in and ask questions of everyone in the house. Make sure they're not crazy, like this kid absolutely was. If they are crazy, remove the guns, and perhaps charge them with a crime. If you lie about owning a gun, you get arrested.

We can have guns, but not crazy people with guns. So what we have to do interview all the gun owners periodically to make sure they're not crazy. If I buy a gun, I would absolutely allow this. I have nothing to hide. The key is not to focus on the kids' schools, because after all the kids aren't the ones who did anything wrong. It's the gun owners that turn into criminals who did something wrong. So the key is to catch gun owners before they turn into criminals, therefore we need to watch gun owners very, very closely.
Several or maybe most of these shooters didn’t own the guns used. 

Also, there are many people who possess unregistered/illegally owned guns. So, we’ll have to go door to door, regardless of whether the household legally owners a gun, to see if anyone there is crazy, and whether any guns are in the Home, legal or not. 

You up for that?

Several or maybe most of these shooters didn’t own the guns used. 

Also, there are many people who possess unregistered/illegally owned guns. So, we’ll have to go door to door, regardless of whether the household legally owners a gun, to see if anyone there is crazy, and whether any guns are in the Home, legal or not. 

You up for that?
So we shouldn't have background checks or any kind of mental health screening because if some really bad person wants to commit a crime they're going to do it anyway.

I've heard this bull#### argument after every school shooting.   The majority of gun owners want better background checks,  Democrats, Republicans, it doesn't matter.  The majority of Americans want to try to keep guns away from nutjobs, spousal abusers and criminals.  But...let's not do the simplest thing we can to start that process.  

I'm headed out to a friends cabin for a little whiskey, a little poker and some much need peace and quiet.

I hope you all have a great weekend. 
I envy you - this has been a very long week for some people way, way more than others and even though mine hasn't been anything in comparison, I'd love to get in my canoe, alone, and do 26 miles on the Buffalo all the next 3 days

Who feeds people these arguments, anyway?

I must have seen 5 people on facebook say "guns aren't the problem" and "if it wasn't a gun he would have taken a knife or a bat to school."

Anyone going to kill 17 people with a bat?

Since these laws and safeguards have not curbed gun violence in this country as long as I've been alive, when is it time to start considering new laws and regulations?  If only there were countries that have done this and had success that we could model..... 
its time they start being USED

the school, local police, FBI for goodness sakes .... they had everything they needed

the foster family ... do they seem like nice people from what you know ? do yo think the FBI visiting, telling them everything they knew ... do you think they'd have taken Cruz's gun and maybe institutionalized him even ?

we don't know ... because nobody with any authority did anything

now, read the link I posted about Arkansas and the pro-active things done with threats yesterday. We will never know if those actions stopped 50 kids from being killed next week .... but the actions prior to the events is what we greatly need more of isn't it ?

Please everyone, make sure you understand Politician Spock doesn't want anyone held to personal accountability for their actions 
The entire reason for The Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act was so gun manufacturers aren't held accountable for their actions like manufacturers of all other products are. It's ironic that you think those opposed to you are the ones that don't want accountability when it's your side that has lobbied and bought politicians to pass laws to protect them from being accountable. 

and wants to blame inanimate objects for the things people choose to so 
There's a lot of blame to go around, but unlike you I would never blame the school.

and he doesn't want to improve safety in schools at all because it would make them "prisons"
Not wanting schools to be like a prisons is a very accurate description of my position. Feel free to post that about me as much as possible. 

So we shouldn't have background checks or any kind of mental health screening because if some really bad person wants to commit a crime they're going to do it anyway.

I've heard this bull#### argument after every school shooting.   The majority of gun owners want better background checks,  Democrats, Republicans, it doesn't matter.  The majority of Americans want to try to keep guns away from nutjobs, spousal abusers and criminals.  But...let's not do the simplest thing we can to start that process.  
Bro...I agree with you. We SHOULD DO mental health screenings.  Anyone with a violent crime ontheir record should also not be able to possess a firearm. 

I was simply addressing the idea to visit gun owners only, when many of these nut jobs don’t own the weapons they used. For it to have the effect he was getting at, every household would need to be subject to questioning and searches, which is ridiculous.  

Users who are viewing this thread