What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

USA Shootings (2 Viewers)

He's right.  This is the price our free market of ideas has settled on.
I don’t think so. The free market of ideas is probably best reflected in large polls, which seem to favor gun control pretty strongly right now.

Gun control is not favored by the leadership of the political party currently in power, but politics is not a free market in any sense — of ideas or otherwise.

I don’t think so. The free market of ideas is probably best reflected in large polls, which seem to favor gun control pretty strongly right now.

Gun control is not favored by the leadership of the political party currently in power, but politics is not a free market in any sense — of ideas or otherwise.
Politics is a very expensive market. The rich own it. 

Problem:  Some gun violence happens using a gun the shooter had easy access to in their residence (not locked up, or shooter knew combination or location of key).  In essence, the gun owner did not safely secure their guns. 

Suggested solution:  Make the gun owner an accessory to any crimes committed by others using their gun.  Accessory to assault with a deadly weapon or murder.

Note:  This would not apply to properly stored guns stolen by the shooter, and then used for violence.

Problem:  Some gun violence happens using a gun the shooter had easy access to in their residence (not locked up, or shooter knew combination or location of key).  In essence, the gun owner did not safely secure their guns. 

Suggested solution:  Make the gun owner an accessory to any crimes committed by others using their gun.  Accessory to assault with a deadly weapon or murder.

Note:  This would not apply to properly stored guns stolen by the shooter, and then used for violence.
I like the idea of holding the owner up to some criminal repurcussions, but I don’t know about accessory to (for example) murder.  Maybe something like reckless endangerment or a new crime.

Related problem: prove the gun belonged to that owner. 

Related problem: prove the gun belonged to that owner. 
How do we not have a national firearm registry?  I don't intend to Stealthycat up the thread, but I have to ask someone kills another person with my car, the police will be asking me questions shortly afterward to find out how this car was obtained.

How do we not have a national firearm registry?  I don't intend to Stealthycat up the thread, but I have to ask someone kills another person with my car, the police will be asking me questions shortly afterward to find out how this car was obtained.
We can’t have that because there’d be a list. Then it’d be easy to go take all the guns. 

There’s a law against keeping a registry that attaches guns to names. 

HAYESVILLE - A mother was arrested Saturday evening after an 8-year-old boy shot his 4-year-old sister Saturday afternoon, the Ashland County Sheriff's Office reported.

The sheriff's office was notified around 2:30 p.m. Saturday that the 4-year-old had been shot and sustained injuries that were not considered life-threatening, according to a news release from the sheriff's office.

Ashland County Sheriff's Office Chief Deputy Carl Richert said the 4-year-old was shot "multiple times" and initially treated at University Hospitals Samaritan Medical Center before being taken to a Cleveland hospital.

Richert said the girl was in stable condition when she was transported. The child is currently in stable condition and is expected to recover, according to the news release.

The Ashland County Prosecutor's Office will review the case Monday, Richert said.

Both children have been removed from the home, he said.

The incident remains under investigation. Additional information is expected to be released Monday, Richert said.

Probably would not have happened if the 4-year old had her own gun.

http://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/376893-oregon-becomes-first-state-to-add-new-gun-law-since-parkland-shooting

Baby steps but it's a start.

Oregon Gov. Kate Brown (D) signed a bill into law Monday that blocks convicted domestic abusers from owning guns, making the state the first to add a new gun safety law since the mass shooting in Parkland, Fla., last month, HuffPost reported.

The state had already banned those with domestic violence or stalking convictions from owning guns, but this measure closes a loophole that allowed abusers or stalkers who aren’t living with or married to or don't have children with the victim to keep the weapons.

I was on the NRA's legislative action page for something else, and saw their response to this (before it was passed).  Remember, this bill only affects people convicted of domestic abuse or stalking:

Tomorrow, February 22nd, the Oregon state Senate will be holding a vote on House Bill 4145.  The legislation passed the Senate Judiciary Committee earlier today with a 4-2 vote.  HB 4145 was passed by the Oregon state House of Representatives last week with a 37-23 vote.  This legislation, which was introduced at the request of Governor Kate Brown, would significantly expand the class of persons who could be stripped of their Second Amendment rights.  

This legislation was filed at the request of Bloomberg-supported Governor Kate Brown, who accepted a quarter of a million dollars from former New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg during her election in 2016.  It is no surprise that she is again pushing new gun restrictions for 2018 as she heads into her re-election campaign.
They're freaking out about so many states considering gun control measures.  Every one is the same spin:   stripping Second Amendment rights and depriving people of gun ownership.   Doesn't matter if we're talking about criminals, mentally disabled, kids...everyone should have unrestricted access to whatever kind and however many guns they want.

Neat.  You can use the NRA's website to contact your legislators on every relevant piece of gun control legislation.  I just used it to urge my US Senators to vote against concealed carry reciprocity and to my state legislators to vote in favor of raising the age to purchase rifles and to ban bump stocks.   They make it really easy. Just have to change the text of their canned email.

I agree that the SPLC is unreliable with this kind of accounting. The numbers I posted are from the Anti-Defamation League. The SPLC and the New America Foundation show similar results.

Do you know of any group’s analysis that is substantially different?
Probably not because there is a reason why these “right wing” stats are year 2017 as opposed to 2016 or it is “domestic” Islamic terrorism  deaths when compared to right wingers involving the year 2001. 

School shooters.  All male. All white.

Narrative.

Va tech reality  

Right wing narrative.

Rifle narrative.

Feet hands and fists kill more Americans than those.

( that is scary looking rifles and non scary looking rifles that’s actually fully automatic  combined )

Probably not because there is a reason why these “right wing” stats are year 2017 as opposed to 2016 or it is “domestic” Islamic terrorism  deaths when compared to right wingers involving the year 2001. 

School shooters.  All male. All white.

Narrative.

Va tech reality  

Right wing narrative.

Rifle narrative.

Feet hands and fists kill more Americans than those.

( that is scary looking rifles and non scary looking rifles that’s actually fully automatic  combined )
That's the name of @cosjobs Devo tribute band.  :coffee:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday was big for accidental shootings, as GGwG accidentally discharge in Alexandria, VA and Seaside, CA.  Sweet J's kid is alright in Alexandria, but a kid got hit with bullet fragments in Cali.

Also, I updated the front page with the freshest school shootings available.  My unofficial count has us at a minimum of 22 school shootings, 25 fatal, in 73 days.  Not bad, people.

Yesterday was big for accidental shootings, as GGwG accidentally discharge in Alexandria, VA and Seaside, CA.  Sweet J's kid is alright in Alexandria, but a kid got hit with bullet fragments in Cali.

Also, I updated the front page with the freshest school shootings available.  My unofficial count has us at a minimum of 22 school shootings, 25 fatal, in 73 days.  Not bad, people.
Big day for the Law of Completely Foreseeable Consequences.

In the neck.  And two other kids were hit by debris from what was shot (the ceiling.)

Matthias said:
It's beyond time to bring the NRA to heel. This is disgusting.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/03/nra-tweets-ar-15-gun-used-in-parkland-during-national-student-walkout.html

As you can see above, the National Rifle Association had a vaguely threatening message it wanted to convey during Wednesday’s national school walkout, which was organized by students to commemorate victims of the Parkland massacre and call for a legislative response to gun violence. The NRA chose to convey its message using a repurposed photo of an AR-15 from its website. 
It's almost like they are some heartless organization that puts the almighty dollar above human life.  

You guys who simultaneously think the government isn’t capable of doing anything well and that it’ll even attempt to confiscate 300 million guns confuse me. 
They also say that they know that all guns will never be banned yet it's one of their biggest fears ever because that's what the fear mongering NRA tells them.  If they know it will never happen then what are they so paranoid about?  I own guns and I'm not worried at all.

They also say that they know that all guns will never be banned yet it's one of their biggest fears ever because that's what the fear mongering NRA tells them.  If they know it will never happen then what are they so paranoid about?  I own guns and I'm not worried at all.
100 teams of federal confiscators taking guns 16 hours a day and each team averaging a confiscation every five minutes seven days a week would get about 135,000 guns per week. That’s, what, five years?

Edit for math

Last edited by a moderator:
100 teams of federal confiscators taking guns 16 hours a day and each team averaging a confiscation every five minutes seven days a week would get about 135,000 guns per week. That’s, what, seven years?
The gun nuts would be fighting back too.  It would be a dangerous time in America.

I seriously need to start shooting the squirrels on my property.  They managed to find a way to get into a crawl space in my roof.  Every that spot gets covered up they pull off the board and whatever else used.
That makes no sense.  Why would they keep coming in if they know you're armed?

Users who are viewing this thread