What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

USA Shootings (2 Viewers)

16 injured, 3 dead including a 6 year old boy. Press conference should be starting any minute. 
Saying police were nearby and engaged and killed the suspect in about a minute. 

Witness reports of a second suspect, but saying unclear if was another shooter or someone assisted the shooter. 

Police chief speaking now, sounds like police engaged the downed shooter in under a minute and killed him, definitely saved a lot of lives. Says no confirmation of a second suspect as of yet, but they are searching for one. Shooter(s) entered from across the creek and cut their way through the security fence to gain entrance.

Unbelievably sad story.    I don't have the energy to further the gun debate but for me this is the biggest issue in the 2020 elections.   

Are there any current candidates that have outlined a plan that would get your vote?
There are a number that support universal background checks and assault weapons bans.  That is a good place to start but we also need improve mental health care.  I am not aware of a candidate that is in favor of free prescriptions for mental health drugs but that would be a huge factor in getting my vote.

And I really don't want to get into any more discussion on this.   I probably shouldn't have posted anything here because I don't have the time or energy to get into a debate but it just saddens me that we have all of these shootings and so many are willing to accept it.

In any case this will  be my last post in this thread.   I am not going to change anyone's mind so if you think the present gun laws are fine and the mental health situation is okay let's just agree to disagree.

/rant

If you do a search on him in twitter, you can see some Instagram posts of his people captured before his account was taken down.

Curious whether Gilroy has any K-9 units.  seems if a suspect fled into that scrub brush that K-9's might have been very effective in locating him.  Also air units with heat sensing capability might have been useful. 

Just curiosity.  Seems that the local P.D. responded quickly and well.

Surprised, a bit, by his relative youth.  I know adolescence can be confusing but so much despair and hopelessness at 19.  Also, has anybody ever caused more confusion in young male minds than Friedrich Nietzsche.

He hated “Silicon Valley whites” whatever that means. Computer geeks? 
Not sure. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/heavy.com/news/2019/07/santino-william-legan/amp/
Could also be interpreted as "leftist whites", arguably. Though there's certainly a libertarian bent among a lot of white male tech workers, there's also a significant left-wing faction among the group and nearly all Silicon Valley companies have heavy investment in things like diversity hiring, etc. that could draw the ire of right wing ideologues. Hard to say for sure what this kids motivations were since he didn't seem to post much, but the little evidence we do have so far leans toward white supremacist at the moment.

There are a number that support universal background checks and assault weapons bans.  That is a good place to start but we also need improve mental health care.  I am not aware of a candidate that is in favor of free prescriptions for mental health drugs but that would be a huge factor in getting my vote.

And I really don't want to get into any more discussion on this.   I probably shouldn't have posted anything here because I don't have the time or energy to get into a debate but it just saddens me that we have all of these shootings and so many are willing to accept it.

In any case this will  be my last post in this thread.   I am not going to change anyone's mind so if you think the present gun laws are fine and the mental health situation is okay let's just agree to disagree.

/rant
Great post, GB.  Couldn't have said it any better.

That is a good place to start but we also need improve mental health care.  I am not aware of a candidate that is in favor of free prescriptions for mental health drugs but that would be a huge factor in getting my vote.
I wouldn’t stop just at free scripts , I would try to make regular visits to a mental healthcare provider free as well. Going hard at this issue would solve some major problems 

The first thing that occurred to me when I read that he was taken down in less than a minute: 3 people are dead and 13 are injured because he had a semi automatic rifle. If he had a different kind of rifle or handgun, perhaps less people die in that 60 seconds. 

I’m sure some people will rush in here and tell me that no, he could have done just as much damage with a different kind of  gun (or maybe with a knife even!) Jet Li can kill 10 people with his hands in a minute. And suppose he was driving a truck! We’ve heard all the arguments, you guys are free to make them again if you want. 

I still think it might have made a difference...

The first thing that occurred to me when I read that he was taken down in less than a minute: 3 people are dead and 13 are injured because he had a semi automatic rifle. If he had a different kind of rifle or handgun, perhaps less people die in that 60 seconds. 

I’m sure some people will rush in here and tell me that no, he could have done just as much damage with a different kind of  gun (or maybe with a knife even!) Jet Li can kill 10 people with his hands in a minute. And suppose he was driving a truck! We’ve heard all the arguments, you guys are free to make them again if you want. 

Fixing the underlying problem that causes people to pick up any sort of weapon and kill multiple people is what will make a difference. The rest is just putting a band aid on the problem. 

Last edited by a moderator:
They did have metal detectors and guards, he went around back and cut a fence.  Might wanna go read the story.
Thats the point...even metal dectors and guards didn't keep it from happening...so we need to find a way where someone like this guy doesn't get a weapon to do that damage

I wouldn’t stop just at free scripts , I would try to make regular visits to a mental healthcare provider free as well. Going hard at this issue would solve some major problems 
For instance it would give upgraded jobs to all of those liberal arts grads with psych and soc degrees who are currently delivering for Dominoes and Jimmy Johns.

This ignores stats that go against this idea that say a small % of mass shootings are perpetrated by someone with a mental illness.  

Thats the point...even metal dectors and guards didn't keep it from happening...so we need to find a way where someone like this guy doesn't get a weapon to do that damage
More importantly we need to find a way to prevent this thought from even happening. I don’t care if they stop selling “assault weapons “, where there is a will there is a way. 

You're still looking for solutions for the object and not the person. 

This ignores stats that go against this idea that say a small % of mass shootings are perpetrated by someone with a mental illness.  
Someone that chooses to shoot multiple people they don't know, without reason, is suffering from mental illness. They just haven't figured out the diagnosis as of yet. 

An 18.75% kill rate.  Not a particularly effective weapon from that perspective.  I wonder how many rounds he shot off, so that we could get a hit rate. There are some reports that he paused to reload, so did he have a 15 round magazine, a 20, a 30, a 45?  Now it well may be that an inexperienced shooter could not have aimed and hit 16 folks with another weapons system in the same amount of time, but given the crowds who can say?  One thing I know, the list of communities impacted grew yesterday.  I also suspect that David Hogg's group and this instance, along with Brooklyn over the weekend will be topics of the upcoming debates.  As a society we are numb to violence, at least adult violence, but when 6 year olds and 12 year olds are victims that still gets through, a bit.  Which candidates will pander, which will have productive proposals (I know which is which depends in a large measure on one's politics).  Will there be any new proposals moving the debate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for good thoughts . Let’s leave things as is then. 
Dont get your panties in a wad, I didn't say to leave things as is.  I just get frustrated with the "fix the mental illness" posts gor this issue when stats dont seem to correlate to that being a major factor in the mass shootings.  By all means address the issue as a whole, it's just probably not accurate to say it will address a major issue for this thread.  

Dont get your panties in a wad, I didn't say to leave things as is.  I just get frustrated with the "fix the mental illness" posts gor this issue when stats dont seem to correlate to that being a major factor in the mass shootings.  By all means address the issue as a whole, it's just probably not accurate to say it will address a major issue for this thread.  
Sorry for the snarky response. I think mental health touches a lot of issues and would yield a lot of good if addressed properly 

Sorry for the snarky response. I think mental health touches a lot of issues and would yield a lot of good if addressed properly 
At this point, there's nothing more to discuss. I fully expect to see an assault weapons ban in the next few years. I could see it being an overreaching ban, depending on how the political landscape changes during that time. 

It will only be after that happens that they will realize the guns were not the problem. It's the people. They will find new methods to act out their violent desires. 

Maybe when they have nothing left to take away, they will look at the true cause. 

You're still looking for solutions for the object and not the person. 

Someone that chooses to shoot multiple people they don't know, without reason, is suffering from mental illness. They just haven't figured out the diagnosis as of yet. 
1. And you’re looking to avoid any kind of gun restriction, as usual. 

2. This point makes sense to me, though I’m no expert on this subject. 

I fully expect to see an assault weapons ban in the next few years. 
And I don’t. 

Isn’t it strange? We are on opposite sides of this issue and we are both pessimists. It may speak to something in our makeup that is more similar than different. Both of us expect the public (or politicians) will disagree with us. 

1. And you’re looking to avoid any kind of gun restriction, as usual. 

2. This point makes sense to me, though I’m no expert on this subject. 
1.You're wrong. I've made suggestions. I'm all for universal background checks.  But, I also know that that the shooter yesterday, probably could have done just as much damage with a Glock and two standard magazines. 

We both want results. Based on my knowledge of guns, I don't believe your approach will bring results. Not sure why you think you're right and I'm wrong. 

And I don’t. 

Isn’t it strange? We are on opposite sides of this issue and we are both pessimists. It may speak to something in our makeup that is more similar than different. Both of us expect the public (or politicians) will disagree with us. 
Regardless of political landscape?

The longer the Republicans control things, the more I think there will be an overreaching ban by the time it actually happens. But, if Dems take control in 2020, I think the previous ban will be reinstated. 

1.You're wrong. I've made suggestions. I'm all for universal background checks.  But, I also know that that the shooter yesterday, probably could have done just as much damage with a Glock and two standard magazines. 

We both want results. Based on my knowledge of guns, I don't believe your approach will bring results. Not sure why you think you're right and I'm wrong. 
I think I’m right because (a) the previous ban did bring some positive results and (b) it makes logical sense to me. That’s about all. 

Regardless of political landscape?

The longer the Republicans control things, the more I think there will be an overreaching ban by the time it actually happens. But, if Dems take control in 2020, I think the previous ban will be reinstated. 
Politicians like to take easy victories. The main lesson the Democrats learned from Obamacare is: once you have the majority, don’t do things that threaten the majority. 

So- my cynical conclusion is that when and if Democrats are in power they will do very little to move the needle. They will raise some taxes. They will shore up Obamacare. They might push through the Dream Act (probably in exchange for tougher borders- the same deal that Trump rejected.) They’ll spend money on infrastructure and some on dealing with climate change- though nothing draconian. And more background checks, since most gun owners are OK with that. 

But- no immigration overhaul, no universal healthcare, no free college, and no ban on guns. If you are either fearful of these things, or hopeful for them, don’t bother. None of it is going to happen. 

I think I’m right because (a) the previous ban did bring some positive results and (b) it makes logical sense to me. That’s about all. 
Things have changed. Weapons have changed. The number of incidents have increased. Taking away the gun, does not take away their desire. I've asked this before, but what is the response after the assault weapons ban is in place, and mass shootings continue at the same pace? (with different weapon)

In a way, you're backing yourself into a corner if things don't turn out the way you hope. 

Users who are viewing this thread