What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Value of a IDP relative to other possitions? (1 Viewer)

Aaronur

Footballguy
What is the relative value of the Top IDP compaired to. For example, is the LB/DL number one equal in value to a WR #1 or a good TE? And what about a good DB? This is my first time playing IDP and I am wondering how important it is to get top players at this possition relative to top Offensive players.

Thanks

What is the relative value of the Top IDP compaired to. For example, is the LB/DL number one equal in value to a WR #1 or a good TE? And what about a good DB? This is my first time playing IDP and I am wondering how important it is to get top players at this possition relative to top Offensive players.

Thanks
A player's relative value differs in every league. It's primarily a function of your scoring system but also involves some idea of how your league under/over values one position over another.You should look at your scoring system to get raw numbers for the #1 player, worst #1 starter (i.e. #12 LB in a start 3 LB 12 team league) and worst overall starter (i.e. #36 LB in a start 3 LB 12 team league) to see if there are any major discrepancies among your league's scoring system.

But raw numbers aren't really enough.

It sounds like you, in true FBG fashion, have some grasp of relative value. That is, the #1 player (or #5 or #25) player at any one position will have a drastically different value than the same ranked player in most scoring systems. The raw numbers have some interest, but the relative value is more important.

If you don't know how to calculate relative value, you simply subtract the total points from the worst starting player (say the #36 DB in a start 3 DB 12 team league) from every player ranked above. The numbers will be positive and represent the relative value of every player at a given position. These are the numbers that should hold the most weight for you.

They aren't the be all/end all though. Your league may undervalue IDPs for whatever reason. For instance, you may project that the #1 LB has the most relative value on your draft board in the mid third round. Prior drafts (hopefully you can get these if available) show this league takes the first linebacker off the board in the mid second or late fourth. You should adjust your draft strategy accordingly.

Getting the most relative value at every position is how you win leagues. Even though some worry that IDPs are too unpredictable and that your draft board can't possibly be as accurate as the offensive side (they're wrong BTW), getting relative value from your IDPs is every bit as important. You'll make up for a lot of offensive missteps (injuries, etc) with a defense that outscores everybody else's by 10%.

Welcome to the wunnerful world of IDP. We're all happy to help you along the way. Once you're hooked, you'll never go back.

Redraft or dynasty? I would say that IDP value decreases slightly in dynasty, since the players don't seem to have the staying power of some of the skill positions.

A link in my sig goes to the 06 Zealots dynasty startup drafts, where you can get an idea of where IDPs started to be taken.

Personally, in a startup dynasty, I start to think about IDPs around round 10. I think that's slightly later than most people, though.

I haven't done a redraft IDP league in about five years, but I would think I'd look a little earlier, say the 7th round...

Redraft or dynasty? I would say that IDP value decreases slightly in dynasty, since the players don't seem to have the staying power of some of the skill positions.

A link in my sig goes to the 06 Zealots dynasty startup drafts, where you can get an idea of where IDPs started to be taken.

Personally, in a startup dynasty, I start to think about IDPs around round 10. I think that's slightly later than most people, though.

I haven't done a redraft IDP league in about five years, but I would think I'd look a little earlier, say the 7th round...
Tick's right. Experienced players will differ on where to grab an IDP in a dynasty format, especially in the initial startup draft.I'm of the opposite opinion. If you can get more than your share of stud IDPs who've shown some "staying power" already in their youth, you're well ahead of the rest of the league. And it's precisely because of the lack of staying power in the middle-lower ranks of starting quality players.

Now you'll run into some inconsistencies when Charles Grant or Julius Peppers has a down season or Ray Lewis gets hurt, but that'll happen with the Michael Claytons of the world as well.

Unless your leaguemates won't take an IDP for another couple of rounds and your scoring system gives good value to an IDP, I've got no problem looking at the very best IDPs around the 5th-6th round in a startup draft when folks are considering some questions at WR2 or RB3. And I'm always looking to move to the front of the second and sometimes end of the first in rookie drafts to grab an IDP I think has great potential. Why waste a roster spot developing a Vernand Morency or rookie WR when you can most likely plug Odell Thurman into your starting lineup now. Granted, some of these are leagues with IDP vets who feel the same way I do. Your mileage may vary. Again, league value is as important as relative value.

I'm certainly not saying Tick's wrong. I think more people fall in his camp and many are successful with that strategy. It may even be better for an IDP newbie. Just another viewpoint to consider.

The zealots link is a great one by the way. Using that as a baseline value for rookie IDPs and then adjusting it to your particular league is a great way to maximize your draft.

It is an intial Dynasty league, we actually have a separtate IDP draft but we can trade our picks in that draft for picks in the Offensive draft. Which is why I am wondering. Where should I start to offer Offensive picks for IDP picks.

Both Tick and Jene make good points here. Valuing IDP is probably among the single most difficult thing to do in these leagues.

People vary all over the place, some will "never trade O for D" while some value a stud LB as much as a starter at other positions.

For me, a true stud LB like Vilma is worth a very good #2 WR, maybe a QB around #10-15.

I certainly won't sweat IDP, as there are decent starters on the wire in most leagues, but I do like having a couple players on D to build around.

in a 12 team league, I'd probably start drafting them around round 7.

It is an intial Dynasty league, we actually have a separtate IDP draft but we can trade our picks in that draft for picks in the Offensive draft. Which is why I am wondering. Where should I start to offer Offensive picks for IDP picks.
Strange set-up (and I don't like it for what it's worth). With no information on the scoring system, roster size, ect. I'd say add 4-6 rounds to the offensive end. 1st round idp would equal somewhere between a 5th and 7th in the offensive draft. Heavily depends on leaguemates and scoring system though as others have said.

Assuming your league breaks out DE/DT, CB/S, here are some rough equivalencies off the top of my head:

Stud (top 10) LB = Aging Starting RB (Dillon), good developmental RB (Gore/MBarber), solid #2 WR (Coles/Mason), 2nd tier QB (Leftwich/Delhomme), 2nd tier TE (McMichael)

2nd tier (top 25) LB/ Stud (top 10) DE/ (top 5) DT/ Stud S (Top 10)/ Stud CB (top 5) = talented RB in bad situation (MMoore), so-so RB in good situation (Rhodes), #3 WR (Bryant/McCareins), 3rd tier QB (Warner/Frye), 3rd tier TE (Stevens/Clark)

after that, the best of the rest are roughly worth the decent prospects at offensive positions, or decent vets with some sort of shot at a job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once you grock on the fine tuning of scoring systems that is available, at least it's available through MFL, it's possible to evenly weight each position relative to the number of starters, league wide, at each position.

Such a system is termed an Equally Balced Scoring System as it places the player positions relative to the number of starters that appear within the top scoring ranges of a given league scoring model.

An example: if there are say 17 total starters, + 2 (PN/PK) for a total of 19 starters and there are 12 teams, each position that starts 1 player (TE or DT say) would have the 12th player in the league scoring model appearing between the 192ed and the 204th scoring position (i.e., before you get to the 17 X 12 = 204 scoring position). If 2 starters (DE, CB, S) at a position, the 24th ranked player falls into the same range, if 3 starters, the 36th ranked player falls with the same range, etc.

It's not easy to create such a scoring system, but it's possible cause I've done it and will look to fill the League after the MFL re-set at the end of this month. If you have an early interest, PM me as I won't formally post to fill this league untill first week of May.

I just can't wait to see how Draft Dominator chews it up and spits it out

So as to the relative value of OFF vs. DEF....it's all a function of league set-up and how many hours you all willing to put int the creation of a scoring system. If they (all the positions) are all equal, it's a lot more challenging....at least it is in my book. You get to keep track of a lot more information that effects the outcome, it's not just the standard QB, RB league.

I'm certainly not saying Tick's wrong. I think more people fall in his camp and many are successful with that strategy. It may even be better for an IDP newbie. Just another viewpoint to consider.
It's funny how people go in different directions with the same information... I'd say that waiting on IDPs is actually better to do if you're comfortable in your IDP knowledge. If you're not sure who's good, just try to grab Vilma, Peppers, and AWilson fairly early so you don't have to worry about it. However, if you think you've got an advantage in IDP knowledge, wait a bit and pick up the guys who fall through the cracks.I guess I just think that overall, IDP knowledge is lacking in most leagues, so you're more likely to have a good guy defensive player slip through the cracks, whereas on offense, everyone's got a good feel for the value of most of the guys in the league, so you won't get as many bargains late. On offense, you're hoping that you're right about a player that everyone else has written off - maybe you think Najeh Davenport will be a starter this season, or that David Terrell will actually do something, because the guys like Matt Jones or Chris Perry are long gone. On the IDP side, you might get Michael Lewis and Will Witherspoon late, just because people don't know about how their roles are changing or don't know how defensive schemes affect scoring.

I'm certainly not saying Tick's wrong.  I think more people fall in his camp and many are successful with that strategy.  It may even be better for an IDP newbie.  Just another viewpoint to consider.
It's funny how people go in different directions with the same information... I'd say that waiting on IDPs is actually better to do if you're comfortable in your IDP knowledge. If you're not sure who's good, just try to grab Vilma, Peppers, and AWilson fairly early so you don't have to worry about it. However, if you think you've got an advantage in IDP knowledge, wait a bit and pick up the guys who fall through the cracks.I guess I just think that overall, IDP knowledge is lacking in most leagues, so you're more likely to have a good guy defensive player slip through the cracks, whereas on offense, everyone's got a good feel for the value of most of the guys in the league, so you won't get as many bargains late. On offense, you're hoping that you're right about a player that everyone else has written off - maybe you think Najeh Davenport will be a starter this season, or that David Terrell will actually do something, because the guys like Matt Jones or Chris Perry are long gone. On the IDP side, you might get Michael Lewis and Will Witherspoon late, just because people don't know about how their roles are changing or don't know how defensive schemes affect scoring.
This is how I feel and why I was wondering if I should look to get the Willson, Vilma, Peppers group or wait a little and see who I can grab, but because of the way our draft is there will have to be trading involved to grab those players and that means trading offensive picks. It is a new world in IDP and a very interesting one.

In both of my IDP dynasty leagues, the top three or so LB's can score over 300 points.... that's stud RB territory. LB's and DE's tend to have more staying power, and the relative value of those spots are generally far greater than DB's and DT's.

The scoring system and the starting line up requirements have a lot to do with when the value is there. One of my leagues require 3 DL's.... that makes them more important than my other league that has more flex built in. In league one, I need 4 solid DL's..... in league 2, I can get by with just two.

The scoring system and the starting line up requirements have a lot to do with when the value is there.
:goodposting: It doesn't have a lot to do with, it has everything to do with it.

In fact, that's the point of "It".

Question: "Why are DT's worth more than other positions?"

Answer: "Because there aren't very many good point scores and the scoring system places a Value Based Draft (the when) premium on them."

That is what makes Draft Dominator tick so nicely...it establishes the when based on the league scoring model.

I'd say that waiting on IDPs is actually better to do if you're comfortable in your IDP knowledge.
I guess I just think that overall, IDP knowledge is lacking in most leagues, so you're more likely to have a good guy defensive player slip through the cracks, whereas on offense, everyone's got a good feel for the value of most of the guys in the league, so you won't get as many bargains late
Great advice here and something to consider. Aaronur, study the ADP information from recently completed Zealots drafts. If you can identify guys on defense that might not have BIG names but put up numbers better than their peers, then you will be off to a great start.If you can study or grasp basic understandings of the different schemes and how positions are defined in said schemes, then you will have a field day during your draft.

I'd say that waiting on IDPs is actually better to do if you're comfortable in your IDP knowledge.
I guess I just think that overall, IDP knowledge is lacking in most leagues, so you're more likely to have a good guy defensive player slip through the cracks, whereas on offense, everyone's got a good feel for the value of most of the guys in the league, so you won't get as many bargains late
Great advice here and something to consider. Aaronur, study the ADP information from recently completed Zealots drafts. If you can identify guys on defense that might not have BIG names but put up numbers better than their peers, then you will be off to a great start.If you can study or grasp basic understandings of the different schemes and how positions are defined in said schemes, then you will have a field day during your draft.
:goodposting: I could read WhoDat's stuff all day. The bolded portion is the key to getting over in IDP leagues (redraft/dynasty/whatever).I like to do both. You need to be really comfortable in your IDP knowledge and sure you will be able to pick a couple of fat grapes off the vine later to try this in a startup dynasty draft.

So I shoot for the moon. Get some studs early and the value later. Those chips are valuable trade bait for those who find out that a lineup including Joey Porter and Champ Bailey ain't the best.

Those chips are valuable trade bait for those who find out that a lineup including Joey Porter and Champ Bailey ain't the best.
Maybe in your leagues, but in mine it's almost impossible to get solid O for good D.

Those chips are valuable trade bait for those who find out that a lineup including Joey Porter and Champ Bailey ain't the best.
Maybe in your leagues, but in mine it's almost impossible to get solid O for good D.
In most of mine (which all have fairly "standard" set-ups and scoring systems) you're usually looking at a full "level" drop when trying to trade d for o. Stud for Starter, Starter for Spot Starter, Spot Starter for Prospect, Prospect for Project, ect.

I think most people devalue IDP too much and you can use that to your advantage in an initial dynasty draft. I like to go RB/RB/WR with my first 3 picks. Then with the 4th pick I like to take another RB or QB depending on who's there and depending on the flow of the draft. If you took a RB in 4 then grab a QB in the 5th. In the 6th I like to start thinking about defense.

I'll draft studs from the 6th round up through the 10th round. Focus on LB's first in the 6th and 7th.

So by 10 rounds I'll have 5 offensive players and 5 defensive players give or take depending on the flow...

What have you given up in rounds 6 through 10 by going D? Look for yourself! Go look at several Zealots drafts and see who was taken in rounds 6-10. Most people are filling up their offensive bench in rounds 6-10 while you were filling your starting Defense with STUDS!

So what's going to happen next? Well all the other teams will be drafting defense while you cherry pick you offensive depth and fill out the rest of your defense. You will target older but proven players like Rod Smith and Muhsin Muhammad...

I feel this strategy gives you the most consistent scoring from ALL of your starters. You addressed your starting offensive lineup in rounds 1-5. QB/RB/RB/WR and another RB or WR. In rounds 6-10 you should have stud LB/LB/DE/LB and DE or DB.

You will get max production out off all of your starters. I really think most people feel they can get any scrub to throw in their defensive lineup... I'd much rather have consistency from my defense and the only way to do that is to get studs at every position.

Check out Z43 draft and look at how I drafted (Buffalo Bills). It doesn't match this exactly because of the flow and where people fell, but it is very similar.

I know this thinking is against the grain, but it's worked for me in the past.

I think most people devalue IDP too much and you can use that to your advantage in an initial dynasty draft. I like to go RB/RB/WR with my first 3 picks. Then with the 4th pick I like to take another RB or QB depending on who's there and depending on the flow of the draft. If you took a RB in 4 then grab a QB in the 5th. In the 6th I like to start thinking about defense.

I'll draft studs from the 6th round up through the 10th round. Focus on LB's first in the 6th and 7th.

So by 10 rounds I'll have 5 offensive players and 5 defensive players give or take depending on the flow...

What have you given up in rounds 6 through 10 by going D? Look for yourself! Go look at several Zealots drafts and see who was taken in rounds 6-10. Most people are filling up their offensive bench in rounds 6-10 while you were filling your starting Defense with STUDS!

So what's going to happen next? Well all the other teams will be drafting defense while you cherry pick you offensive depth and fill out the rest of your defense. You will target older but proven players like Rod Smith and Muhsin Muhammad...

I feel this strategy gives you the most consistent scoring from ALL of your starters. You addressed your starting offensive lineup in rounds 1-5. QB/RB/RB/WR and another RB or WR. In rounds 6-10 you should have stud LB/LB/DE/LB and DE or DB.

You will get max production out off all of your starters. I really think most people feel they can get any scrub to throw in their defensive lineup... I'd much rather have consistency from my defense and the only way to do that is to get studs at every position.

Check out Z43 draft and look at how I drafted (Buffalo Bills). It doesn't match this exactly because of the flow and where people fell, but it is very similar.

I know this thinking is against the grain, but it's worked for me in the past.
:goodposting: Absolutely! Alot of people undervalue IDP's, but you have to make sure your scoring system gives then due credit in points and amount of starters. The above works best when you field 11 IDP's each week. For redraft leagues, people catch on though and once someone selects some top IDP a run starts and it is like a typical positional run scenario. So over time good owners will adapt and the above strategy won't be as effective. In a dynasty league initial draft though, using the above will get you a rocking team so long as you pick the right IDP studs.

As an aside, using the above if you start with stud LBs, other will probably start there too, so as they are picking up LB's you are moving to the next group of stud DBs, then DLs, or vis versa, etc... but probably start off with 2-3 top stud LBs...

The killer with taking stud D early is the RB shortage. There simply aren't as many good RB's as there are LB's. Another thing that has a huge affect (or should) is whether it's a dynasty or redraft league. In a redraft, a guy like Quarles is much more valuable than in a dynasty. In addition, defensive scheme changes can really change the dynasty value of D players, while the stud RB will remain a stud RB, even if the O scheme gets a new CS and a new scheme.

Good FF teams are still built on a solid corp of RB's, imo. That's why it's so hard to trade for really high rookie draft picks..... it's all about getting the next stud RB. QB's, LB's, WR's, DB's.... can all be had late in the first round of the rookie draft, and well into the second (16 team league example) but RB's? Unless you strike gold like a Willie Parker, forget it.

In a league that has a 3 RB starting option, having 3 non RBBC RB's is almost a garantee to make the playoffs. Not true for teams with 3 stud LB's.

Again, the differnetiation between dynasty and redrafts is crucial. In redrafts, I think it's easier to go D earlier and have success.

The killer with taking stud D early is the RB shortage. There simply aren't as many good RB's as there are LB's. Another thing that has a huge affect (or should) is whether it's a dynasty or redraft league. In a redraft, a guy like Quarles is much more valuable than in a dynasty. In addition, defensive scheme changes can really change the dynasty value of D players, while the stud RB will remain a stud RB, even if the O scheme gets a new CS and a new scheme.

Good FF teams are still built on a solid corp of RB's, imo. That's why it's so hard to trade for really high rookie draft picks..... it's all about getting the next stud RB. QB's, LB's, WR's, DB's.... can all be had late in the first round of the rookie draft, and well into the second (16 team league example) but RB's? Unless you strike gold like a Willie Parker, forget it.

In a league that has a 3 RB starting option, having 3 non RBBC RB's is almost a garantee to make the playoffs. Not true for teams with 3 stud LB's.

Again, the differnetiation between dynasty and redrafts is crucial. In redrafts, I think it's easier to go D earlier and have success.
Rovers you do make some very good points but lets toss out a 4th round RB from last yr lets say ummm a type like Tatum Bell(i think is ADP was in the vicinity of round 4 last yr) well if you had to take Bell vs top 3 LB I am taking the top 3 LB at about every chance i get...of course a ton is based on how your 1st 2 rounds go and if you can secure a solid 1/2 at RB you can go WR LB LB or something along those lines and never miss a beat...but RB will always be king its just how it isand last yr I was able to win a league(you were a part of that league to rovers)

now granted we had to start 2 RBs no more no less but i went Portis RMoss with my 1st 2 picks followed by Bulluck Edwards Steve Smith Foster Fletcher Coles

my Def easily carried that team to the most points overall as well as a SB win...unfortunately there is no exact science and much has to do with where you are and imo dictating the draft and not reacting to it or following suit

sorry if anyone doesn't like my sig :rolleyes:

unfortunately there is no exact science and much has to do with where you are and imo dictating the draft and not reacting to it or following suit
It also, of course has to do with drafting the right D.Last year I was able to draft Vilma, Edwards, Tatupu, Adrian Wilson, and Charles Tillman in one dynasty IDP league (unfortunetly traded Edwards) my D was among the best in the league and it helped carry my to a top 3 finish (20 teamer), if however, I had taken Peppers, Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, etc. who were pretty equal on my list at the time, I would have been sunk.

unfortunately there is no exact science and much has to do with where you are and imo dictating the draft and not reacting to it or following suit
It also, of course has to do with drafting the right D.Last year I was able to draft Vilma, Edwards, Tatupu, Adrian Wilson, and Charles Tillman in one dynasty IDP league (unfortunetly traded Edwards) my D was among the best in the league and it helped carry my to a top 3 finish (20 teamer), if however, I had taken Peppers, Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, etc. who were pretty equal on my list at the time, I would have been sunk.
Very true - too many FF players forget that they won the championship because the guy in front of them stole Randy Moss, so they were stuck with Chad Johnson, who won them the championship. The same goes for IDP as well, of course.

Very true - too many FF players forget that they won the championship because the guy in front of them stole Randy Moss, so they were stuck with Chad Johnson, who won them the championship. The same goes for IDP as well, of course.
yep very very true...i actually had Ray Ray taken in front of me last yr and it changed my draft strategy for the better...i also was at a crossroads last yr with which recvr to pick in a dynasty draft

Steve Smith Joe Horn DJax....i debated it over and over again and again

finally decided on STEVE SMITH(I still count my blessings on that one)

What about where IDPs fit in rookie drafts? Obviously the early portion of rookie drafts is heavily skewed toward offensive players, but when does it become reasonable to crack open the IDPs?

For example, I assume everyone would agree that AJ Hawk is the #1 IDP this year pending anything weird happening this weekend. I am thinking he is a reasonable value pick toward the end of the first round in Zealots Field scoring, with other IDPs starting to sprinkle in around the mid-2nd.

Is this about right?

What about where IDPs fit in rookie drafts? Obviously the early portion of rookie drafts is heavily skewed toward offensive players, but when does it become reasonable to crack open the IDPs?

For example, I assume everyone would agree that AJ Hawk is the #1 IDP this year pending anything weird happening this weekend. I am thinking he is a reasonable value pick toward the end of the first round in Zealots Field scoring, with other IDPs starting to sprinkle in around the mid-2nd.

Is this about right?
Scoring systems vary and can really impact an IDPs value relative to the offensive players...at 1.6 I am contemplating taking Hawk if i dont find any suitors to deal down with

our scoring is a bit more aggressive then the Zealots leagues

in the past we have had Vilma go at 1.10ish

what you really need to look at is the makeup of your team too...i dont like to draft RB or WR Prospects in the late 1st because they usually wont help you right away...but a player like Vilma in the past or even Derrick Johnson last yr if taken in the mid to late 1st round they give you much more bang for the buck if you ask me...the secret to rookie drafts especially in round 1 to me is to not draft a total bust...go back and look at the 1st rounders in your past drafts and see who has done what. It might just surprise you.

also fwiw I know that many here will say they dont agree with drafting the Defensive players as early as I have said

Bottom line is that every league is different and you have to adjust your strategy accordingly. If you can start 3RB then you most definitely need to go RB/RB/RB or RB/RB/WR/RB in the first few rounds. But you can still address your defense early and get 3 stud LB's before everyone else. Then like it was stated before... when the other teams are going after their LB's you will be taking the creme of the crop DE's and DB's. It's a strategy that keeps you ahead of the curve in exchange for less quality depth on offense. But if you draft the "right studs" your team will put up consistent points on offense and defense and should easily make the playoffs.Like I said before... most people are in love with Offense. Use this to your advantage and acquire the best overall starting lineup.

Think about it. Every starting position needs to be putting up points. If you can outscore your opponent on the defensive side of the ball... your offense just needs to be good enough to keep up with the other guys O which isn't hard to do becase you still drafted studs in the first 5 rounds. Then fill out the rest of your team with older vets that always fall and you'll have a great all around team that will be hard to beat week in and week out.

Is this about right?
In the leagues that Keg and I are in, as he said, the IDP scoring is pretty aggressive...... I expect to see Hawk go at 1.5 or 1.6 in both of our dynatsy leagues. In one of those leagues, we have to start 3 DL's..... that pushes a guy like Mario Williams up the board too. It's about outscoring your opponent. Three really stud DE's against a team with three mediocre DL's can give you a ten point (or more) scoring advantage right off the bat. Picking at nine (in one league) M Williams may be my pick, depending on what situation he gets drafted into.

Value all depends on the scoring system and the starting line up requirements. I look at each starting position, and try to build a unit that will outscore my opposition within that position (LB, DL, etc). That means I tend to draft towards positions of need instead of BAP. That doesn't mean passing a stud for need, but it sways my decision making quite a bit.

For IDP in rookie drafts, check the link in my sig for last year's rookie results. I think they'll go higher this season, because Hawk is better than anyone from last year, and the WRs this year are brutal, meaning that after about pick 10, there's no reason not to take an IDP.

IDP players before round 6 is a sucker pick. Also depth is the key. Sure if you get Bullock and Vilma early and other teams lose key offensive players taken in the early rounds you can succeed. But overall, its a losing combo to pass on quality O for D early in the draft. And a squirrel finds and accorn every once in a while, so just because it happened once, doesnt mean it can be duplicated.

IDP players before round 6 is a sucker pick.  Also depth is the key.  Sure if you get Bullock and Vilma early and other teams lose key offensive players taken in the early rounds you can succeed. But overall, its a losing combo to pass on quality O for D early in the draft.  And a squirrel finds and accorn every once in a while, so just because it happened once, doesnt mean it can be duplicated.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In IDP redrafts, sure..... but I think the majority of IDP leagues are dynasty leagues. I took Vilma in a redraft in the fourth round last year, and that was the best pick in my entire draft. He scored over 350 points in that scoring system! Right there with Tomlinson and Alexander. That is the exception to the rule, however. This year, with the Jets most likely playing more 3-4 than 4-3, I wouldn't take him anywhere near that high. Here's an off the wall question.... why don't any IDP leagues have any scoring or roster requirements for a .... punter? I think that would be interesting. 1 point for a punt inside the 20, 1.5 inside the 10. Maybe 2 for inside the five? Just a random thought.....

IDP players before round 6 is a sucker pick.  Also depth is the key.  Sure if you get Bullock and Vilma early and other teams lose key offensive players taken in the early rounds you can succeed. But overall, its a losing combo to pass on quality O for D early in the draft.  And a squirrel finds and accorn every once in a while, so just because it happened once, doesnt mean it can be duplicated.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In IDP redrafts, sure..... but I think the majority of IDP leagues are dynasty leagues. I took Vilma in a redraft in the fourth round last year, and that was the best pick in my entire draft. He scored over 350 points in that scoring system! Right there with Tomlinson and Alexander. That is the exception to the rule, however. This year, with the Jets most likely playing more 3-4 than 4-3, I wouldn't take him anywhere near that high. Here's an off the wall question.... why don't any IDP leagues have any scoring or roster requirements for a .... punter? I think that would be interesting. 1 point for a punt inside the 20, 1.5 inside the 10. Maybe 2 for inside the five? Just a random thought.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am in two leagues with punters ...Punt Yards 1-999 0.020 points each Test

Punts Inside 20 1-99 1.000 point each Test

and

Punt Yards 0-999 .025 point for every 1 Test

Punts Inside 20 0-20 1 point each Test

IDP players before round 6 is a sucker pick. Also depth is the key.  Sure if you get Bullock and Vilma early and other teams lose key offensive players taken in the early rounds you can succeed. But overall, its a losing combo to pass on quality O for D early in the draft.  And a squirrel finds and accorn every once in a while, so just because it happened once, doesnt mean it can be duplicated.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hate it when people make end all and be all statements like your "IDP players before round 6 is a sucker pick." there are so many different strategies that a person can utilize and taking IDPs prior to round 6 is one of them and one that can work...most people would say you cant win going WR WR to start a draft but that strategy can also work...just as RB WR or WR RB or taking IDPs prior to round 6...if you would like any examples of where and how those strategies work just ask and i will supply the info...drafting imo is an art form with a hint of luck(you just never know who is going to get injured)but i guess my main point is that i hate end all and be all statements that arent

as for depth its just as important on both sides of the ball

IDP players before round 6 is a sucker pick. Also depth is the key.  Sure if you get Bullock and Vilma early and other teams lose key offensive players taken in the early rounds you can succeed. But overall, its a losing combo to pass on quality O for D early in the draft.  And a squirrel finds and accorn every once in a while, so just because it happened once, doesnt mean it can be duplicated.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hate it when people make end all and be all statements like your "IDP players before round 6 is a sucker pick." there are so many different strategies that a person can utilize and taking IDPs prior to round 6 is one of them and one that can work...most people would say you cant win going WR WR to start a draft but that strategy can also work...just as RB WR or WR RB or taking IDPs prior to round 6...if you would like any examples of where and how those strategies work just ask and i will supply the info...drafting imo is an art form with a hint of luck(you just never know who is going to get injured)but i guess my main point is that i hate end all and be all statements that arent

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok let me rephrase. IDP picks before round 6 are for people that have no IDP knowledge outside the top 20 at each position. IDP is 2 to 3 times deeper than offensive skill positions, and if you dont agree with that, then you validated my point. How many leagues have you won using this strategy. Id bet very few, if just that one.I dont care what you hate, its my opinion its a flawed draft strategy, that rarely works. If it worked for you once, great. But Id bet you havent had as much success as Ive had drafting defense after round 6, after I secured my offense, then hitting offense depth again, while you are drafting starters in the teen rounds.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok let me rephrase. IDP picks before round 6 are for people that have no IDP knowledge outside the top 20 at each position. IDP is 2 to 3 times deeper than offensive skill positions, and if you dont agree with that, then you validated my point. How many leagues have you won using this strategy. Id bet very few, if just that one.I dont care what you hate, its my opinion its a flawed draft strategy, that rarely works. If it worked for you once, great. But Id bet you havent had as much success as Ive had drafting defense after round 6, after I secured my offense, then hitting offense depth again, while you are drafting starters in the teen rounds.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you sound very much like someone i know but he was banned here once...as for the pissing match i am not going to get into it with you cause that is exactly what it looks like you want

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you sound very much like someone i know but he was banned here once...as for the pissing match i am not going to get into it with you cause that is exactly what it looks like you want

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Never been banned here. And you definately do not know me. Pissing match. You gave your opinion, I gave mine, then said you hated mine. How do you figure Im looking for a pissing match. Looks like the opposite from where Im sitting.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Never been banned here. And you definately do not know me. Pissing match. You gave your opinion, I gave mine, then said you hated mine. How do you figure Im looking for a pissing match. Looks like the opposite from where Im sitting.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
then you have my appologies....i took you saying "IDP...sucker pick" as a end all and be all statement...its your opinion and that is fine...i did think you were a certain person banned here that has been giving me #### at another site but in re-reading everything you have written you couldn't possibly be him as you have a firm grip on the english language...but fwiw I still dont agree with your assessment but thats what makes FF interesting

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
then you have my appologies....i took you saying "IDP...sucker pick" as a end all and be all statement...its your opinion and that is fine...i did think you were a certain person banned here that has been giving me #### at another site but in re-reading everything you have written you couldn't possibly be him as you have a firm grip on the english language...but fwiw I still dont agree with your assessment but thats what makes FF interesting

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, you could learn how to use a coma. But who is complaining, right?

Users who are viewing this thread