What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vance McDonald (1 Viewer)

Who better ros?  Mcdonald or Jesse james?  I think it's james easily but want to hear some opinions 
James is in a better offense, but more mouths to feed. They have Brown, Rogers, Coates, Wheaton, and don't forget Bell catches passes out of the backfield too. The 9ers don't have as many options in the passing game. Plus, I don't see them holding most teams to under 200 yards of offense. They'll be trailing in games and have to throw and that will help McDonald.

James is in a better offense, but more mouths to feed. They have Brown, Rogers, Coates, Wheaton, and don't forget Bell catches passes out of the backfield too. The 9ers don't have as many options in the passing game. Plus, I don't see them holding most teams to under 200 yards of offense. They'll be trailing in games and have to throw and that will help McDonald.
Agree.  Let's see what happens when SF goes to CAR and is down by 10+ for most of the game.

Who better ros?  Mcdonald or Jesse james?  I think it's james easily but want to hear some opinions 
I would like to see James block better....he looked overwhelmed at times in the blocking department.  If he can get that down, he will be a solid TE option for as a long Big Ben is a Steeler. 

He actually won me a match-up and it made me feel pretty dirty.

As for snap counts, Big Mac played on 62% of the snaps where as Celek played on 56%.

I think we're going to look back at the game vs. LA as an outlier. Not an extreme outlier but on the low-end of Big Mac's target distribution this year. SF ran the ball down LA's throat from start to finish and that obviously involved a lot of blocking. They were never really in a position to throw and I'm interested to see how this all breaks down when the game script inevitably flips.

He actually won me a match-up and it made me feel pretty dirty.

As for snap counts, Big Mac played on 62% of the snaps where as Celek played on 56%.

I think we're going to look back at the game vs. LA as an outlier. Not an extreme outlier but on the low-end of Big Mac's target distribution this year. SF ran the ball down LA's throat from start to finish and that obviously involved a lot of blocking. They were never really in a position to throw and I'm interested to see how this all breaks down when the game script inevitably flips.
Despite that, the 49ers ran a whopping 84 plays, 35 of which were passes by Gabbert. That equates to 560 pass attempts on the year. I doubt he has many games with over 40 pass attempts on the year. The real issue was 11 targets to Kerley. Does that continue?

Despite that, the 49ers ran a whopping 84 plays, 35 of which were passes by Gabbert. That equates to 560 pass attempts on the year. I doubt he has many games with over 40 pass attempts on the year. The real issue was 11 targets to Kerley. Does that continue?
I saw 42 rush attempts and automatically thought they were heavily skewed towards the run, forgetting it was Kelly's offense for a moment.

Bradford attempted 532 passes in 14 games last year so I don't think 560 is outside the realm of possibility. I honestly don't know if Kerely's target share will remain consistent although he did look good for someone who was signed 2 weeks ago. I will say that I was expecting 5-7 targets for Big Mac and still expect something similar moving forward. 

I am stubbornly sticking with McDonald as my TE this week in 12 team ppr since Ertz is out.  Bypassed Virgil Green and Kyle Rudolph and Tamme. The pros all forecast a lowly performance from McDonald compared to them. I disagree. McDonald should go for something in the area of 5 receptions for 60 yards. I actually peg his td reception probability at .66 so that scores out at a total of 15 points.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sitting him vs Carolina. Still like him this year but he better get more than 3 targets a game or he's not going to be consistent enough to start.

35 pass attempts by Gabbert
4.9 ypa + 42 rush attempts. 16 targets to Kerley and Patton. Celek had 4 targets, VMD had 3. Celek had 51 snaps, VMD had 58. I think we are going to see some good games from McDonald but usage will vary, like the Eagles TEs last year.

People oogle and aww over tight ends with Chip Kelly, Ertz was alright in Philly, but never a guy you could confidently walk out week after week. McDonald will be the same way I think. Good yardage, but will have a lack of TDs all year that will make him worthless up against other tight ends. 

The difference tho is on the 9ers there are much fewer viable pass catchers then what Ertz had on Philly.

People oogle and aww over tight ends with Chip Kelly, Ertz was alright in Philly, but never a guy you could confidently walk out week after week. McDonald will be the same way I think. Good yardage, but will have a lack of TDs all year that will make him worthless up against other tight ends. 

Gravity said:
The difference tho is on the 9ers there are much fewer viable pass catchers then what Ertz had on Philly.
That and McDonald/Gabbert had a decent connection last year as well. 

Yes but SF is obviously ######ed for not using him enough. Not super confident that changes next year. 

Im a fan....not a lot of talent that can make play on the offense...I see him putting up decent numbers down the stretch.  

I haven't really watched the 49ers or McDonald this season so I have no opinion to offer there.

He has had 6 targets each of the last four weeks however which makes him a viable option to consider as long as that continues.

The last 7 games of last season he had 5 targets per game and put up some numbers in games including 3 TD. So the last 4 weeks have been at a slightly higher pace than this.

After a slow start and missing some games McDonald is currently getting 4.1 targets per game almost all of his targets (72%) of them have happened in the last four games.

You look at the end of his season (after Davis was traded) and McDonald has 35 targets (in 7 games) and 33 targets in 8 games he played this season and this averages out to 4.53 targets per game over 15 games. This is more on the low end of the 80 targets I was hoping for him this season in a CK offense, mostly due to the slow start. If he maintains the pace of 6 targets per game over the rest of the season, he will end up with 69 targets in total, which is still below what I was hoping for back in April

If he does maintain a 5 to 6 target pace for the last 6 games however, it does make him a viable option in those games. I would still likely eliminate him from consideration against teams doing a good job of stopping TE.

His catch rate is below what it was last season. I am still surprised Gabbeert played so many games. His yards per reception has been great though at 17.9 ypr or 9.75 yards per target. He is currently only 4 yards shy of his total last season which was 10.6 ypr or 7.08 ypt

He's a monster they don't use and they don't have anybody else. It's criminal but whatever. They should be throwing him the ball 10+ times a game even if they had other options. 

Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter  3m3 minutes ago

49ers trading TE Vance McDonald and a fifth-round pick to the Steelers for a fourth-round pick, per sources. Steelers upgrade TE.

Niners must really have not been high on this guy - probably about to be cut if the price was this low (last year, the Steelers 4th rounder was pick 135 and the SF 5th rounder was pick 146.)  An 11-pick move that far into the draft is almost like giving him away.  Based on both Chase's and the "NFL" draft pick value charts, the difference is the equivalent of a late 7th rounder (roughly pick 213-215)

Niners must really have not been high on this guy - probably about to be cut if the price was this low (last year, the Steelers 4th rounder was pick 135 and the SF 5th rounder was pick 146.)  An 11-pick move that far into the draft is almost like giving him away.  Based on both Chase's and the "NFL" draft pick value charts, the difference is the equivalent of a late 7th rounder (roughly pick 213-215)
read a while back he might not make the final 53

Niners must really have not been high on this guy - probably about to be cut if the price was this low
But keep in mind the reason they were so low on the guy may have been because of the contract he just signed and because he doesn't fit into a completely new offense. Just because the Niners didn't value him doesn't mean he doesn't have any value in a new situation imo. I always like to see guys like this get a chance in a new situation with a team that values him enough to give up anything to get him.

Really, it's a no downside move on the part of PIT. In deep, DEEP leagues I was seeing people rostering Xavier Gimble after there were rumblings that he may be a higher upside challenger to Jesse James. James definitely gets dinged by this move but Gimble must have his value fall to nearly zero even in the deepest of leagues now.

He's a tight end who is a poor blocker, has bad hands, and a bad contract.  As a Niner fan I'm thrilled.

I don't think he's as bad as some are making him out to be.  He did have a couple of good games even with bad qb's. I'm not picking him up but he is as good a lottery ticket te as anyone else.

Really? They still have James and Grimble. Though, I guess they may not be too high on either if they brought in McDonald, but I don't see him doing much right away.
I've always loved Vance and now he's coupled with a super underrated elite QB....he's not a great blocker but he's a freight train with the ball in his hands.....just destroys people trying to tackle him......

I don't watch film or study players in depth like a lot of folks do here, but Vance is going to be a pretty big upgrade at TE for the Steelers IMO.  J. James is OK but he's not very athletic, he gets whatever yards are available on a given play - that's fine but there is room for improvement.  Grimble is more athletic but was pretty raw last year IIRC.  The few times L. Green was able to play last year he had some pretty big games - maybe it's wishful thinking but I see similar things for Vance in PIT

Users who are viewing this thread