What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

VBD App is LIVE (1 Viewer)

Using Excel 2000.. Able to open, but after clicking the generate Cheatsheet button get a runtime error 1004 "application defined or object defined error"

Using Excel 2000.. Able to open, but after clicking the generate Cheatsheet button get a runtime error 1004 "application defined or object defined error"
Snogger,What is the name of the file that you are using?

David Dodds:The app works like a champ!Thanks a bunch for all your effort.Joe Bryant, Da Man.David Dodds, The Lieutenant.Footballguys dot com. :thumbup:

What I would do is create my own overall by lumping WRs, RBs and TEs in one bucket. No the app won't directly do that, but it will give all of the points. Choose 60 as the baseline for this lumped list and you should be good.
I have a similar situation where we start 5 flex (WR/RB). If I set at 2.5 RB and 2.5 WR will I get correct values?BTW... It was amazing to follow this thread to actually get an idea of how hard you guys work at this. My hats off to you.cheers :thumbup:

David, great work as always, but:

1 minor fix:

On the Cheat worksheet, cell B105 has the text value "Cincinnati Bengals" in it. You can't see it on screen b/c it's black text on a black line, but it's there and I can see it when I reformat the cheatsheet & print it out. (BTW: This "easter egg" has been in the VBD App for a couple of years now.)

& 1 minor suggestion:

Could you put an "R" after the rookies so that they stand out on the cheatsheets?

Yes, I know that I can manually go in and change the names so that they appear, but I think it would be a helpful tool when looking at the list so that:

A) You can AVOID rookies when drafting OR

B) for those that have rookie only drafts, see where they place in the list and easily pick them out for drafting purposes.

eg. "Charles Rogers" would become "Charles Rogers-R"

..........seems like a simple task that doesn't take up much space that some may find a benefit.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Having some issues here….Order doesn’t follow ranking1 Marshall Faulk StL/5 3602 Shaun Alexander Sea/4 3113 LaDainian Tomlinson SD/6 3774 Charlie Garner Oak/8 2885 Curtis Martin NYJ/5 2506 Tiki Barber NYG/4 2897 Deuce McAllister NO/10 3218 Ricky Williams Mia/4 3319 Priest Holmes KC/9 32910 Fred Taylor Jac/7 29511 Edgerrin James Ind/7 31212 Ahman Green GB/8 302AndSame order business here1 Laveranues Coles Was/8 2482 Torry Holt StL/5 2533 Isaac Bruce StL/5 2304 Terrell Owens SF/10 3095 Koren Robinson Sea/4 2426 David Boston SD/6 2577 Plaxico Burress Pit/7 2428 Hines Ward Pit/7 2569 Curtis Conway NYJ/5 23510 Amani Toomer NYG/4 23411 Joe Horn NO/10 26312 Randy Moss Min/6 30513 Jimmy Smith Jac/7 23914 Marvin Harrison Ind/7 348AndNames in position column & IDP’s ranked with Team D (team selected) but the post format doesn't show it. Plus the positions are off, unless LT and Brees have some trickery planned...1 Marvin Harrison SD/6 WR Def2 Randy Moss Den/10 WR Def3 Terrell Owens Mia/4 WR Def4 LaDainian Tomlinson StL/5 RB Def5 Clinton Portis NO/10 RB Def6 Ricky Williams KC/9 RB Def7 Marshall Faulk Sea/4 RB Def8 Deuce McAllister Buf/9 RB Def9 Priest Holmes Ind/7 RB Def10 Shaun Alexander Ind/7 RB Def11 Travis Henry GB/8 RB Def12 Edgerrin James Jac/7 RB Def13 Ahman Green Min/6 RB Def14 Fred Taylor Atl/8 RB Def15 Tiki Barber Min/6 RB Def16 Daunte Culpepper SF/10 QB Def17 Michael Vick NYG/4 QB Def18 LaDainian Tomlinson QB 37719 Marshall Faulk QB 36020 Marvin Harrison RB 34821 Ricky Williams QB 33122 Clinton Portis QB 33123 Priest Holmes QB 32924 Deuce McAllister QB 32125 Travis Henry QB 31526 Edgerrin James QB 31227 Shaun Alexander QB 31128 Terrell Owens RB 30929 Randy Moss RB 30530 Ray Lewis DB 304

Anyone else having these problems?Windows NT 4.0 SP6Office Excel 97 SR-2WinZip 8.0 (3105)Problem: 03vbdapp_a3.zip, 393216 bytes Cannot open file. It does not appear to be a valid archive.Problem: 03vbdapp_a3.xls, 1736704 bytes The Instruction at "blahblahblah" referenced memory at "more blah". The memory could not be read. Click Ok to terminate or cancel to debug.I was able to open a previoe version of the xls file and did reveive the same runtime errors as others posted. However, everyone seems to be working fine now except me :hot: Thanks

Anyone else having these problems?Windows NT 4.0 SP6Office Excel 97 SR-2WinZip 8.0 (3105)Problem: 03vbdapp_a3.zip, 393216 bytes Cannot open file. It does not appear to be a valid archive.Problem: 03vbdapp_a3.xls, 1736704 bytes The Instruction at "blahblahblah" referenced memory at "more blah". The memory could not be read. Click Ok to terminate or cancel to debug.I was able to open a previoe version of the xls file and did reveive the same runtime errors as others posted. However, everyone seems to be working fine now except me :hot: Thanks
I would suggest downloading the zip file again. I just opened the zip file without a problem using WinZip ver 6.3If you are still having problems, email me @ maxwell@footballguys.com

Having some issues here….Order doesn’t follow ranking1 Marshall Faulk StL/5 3602 Shaun Alexander Sea/4 3113 LaDainian Tomlinson SD/6 3774 Charlie Garner Oak/8 2885 Curtis Martin NYJ/5 250...
Did you happen to sort the data pages?Also, are you sure you hit "Generate Cheatsheet" since the last time you modified projections or changed scoring inputs?

Did you happen to sort the data pages?Also, are you sure you hit "Generate Cheatsheet" since the last time you modified projections or changed scoring inputs?
No, I didn't sort or anything like that, just input the league spec's and generated. I tried it again from scratch and it worked fine the 2nd time.

Minor oddity...I turned on the Auction values and the team/bye column for WRs is all goofy.1 Marvin Harrison StL/5 422 Randy Moss Jac/7 363 Terrell Owens Mia/4 354 Eric Moulds Min/6 305 Joe Horn KC/9 27

1 minor fix:

On the Cheat worksheet, cell B105 has the text value "Cincinnati Bengals" in it. You can't see it on screen b/c it's black text on a black line, but it's there and I can see it when I reformat the cheatsheet & print it out. (BTW: This "easter egg" has been in the VBD App for a couple of years now.)
how the hell did you find that LOL.most years you wouldnt want to see the bad luck bengals jinxing your cheatsheet anyways :o

Couldn't wait for this one and it's working perfectly for me so far!Quick question on how to adjust scoring for pts. per yards. Our QB gets 1 pt. per 25 yards after the first 100 yards so a 248 yard game would = 6 pts. What is the best way to enter this in the input sheet?Our RB's and WR's get 1 pt. per 10 yards after the first 40 yards so same question for those positions.I'm sure I won't be able to get it exactly right but I'd like to get it as close as possible.Thanks!

1 minor fix:

how the hell did you find that LOL.most years you wouldnt want to see the bad luck bengals jinxing your cheatsheet anyways :o
It's something that I found a couple of years ago (when they were cheatsheets.net) and I'm guessing that David and Co. have never removed it.When the VBD app comes out every year, somehow I remember to check that cell and I have told them about it every year and look where that has gotten me........

Couldn't wait for this one and it's working perfectly for me so far!Quick question on how to adjust scoring for pts. per yards. Our QB gets 1 pt. per 25 yards after the first 100 yards so a 248 yard game would = 6 pts. What is the best way to enter this in the input sheet?Our RB's and WR's get 1 pt. per 10 yards after the first 40 yards so same question for those positions.I'm sure I won't be able to get it exactly right but I'd like to get it as close as possible.Thanks!
my league scores something like this too. Because the projections are done for the year and not on a game by game basis as my scoring requires it makes it tough to use these projections and thus the application. I have played around with the scoring but would also be interested to see what others with this type of scoring do.thanks.

Amazing Application :nerd: but a glaring issue regarding the DEFENSE fantasy points calculation :ph34r: :In the "Def" tab there is no change to the Fantasy Points if you change the "Points Allowed" (column G) and the "Yards Allowed" (column I). The distribution fields in columns J thru AE do not seem to be dynamic to the input "Points Allowed" and "Yardage Allowed" inputs.Am I doing something wrong?Z

Thanks Guys. I will look at all of these things later tonight (lots of other stuff to get caught up on today). I think I started from the wrong previous version regarding the defense (yards allowed and points allowed) so will definitely add that to the update. Not sure why some of the other problems are happening so will try and crash test this a little harder. I also would like to add average draft position in the overall column, but that might have to wait a bit. Look for version a4 in the morning.

When running the Overall column past 102 rankings, Travis Taylor drops completely from the list. In my run, D. Jackson is before and J. Porter is after Taylor. Both show up but Taylor doesn't.

This app is simply awesome.. Keep up the good work. :sleep: Now if only you could make it so the other guys in my leagues can't use it, it'll be perfect! :D

I'm getting this error when I run the excel version. Run-tim error '1004' application defined ot object defined error.

I'm getting this error when I run the excel version. Run-tim error '1004' application defined ot object defined error.
Budman,Email me the name of the excel file that your are using.maxwell@footballguys.com

When I try to download and save, I get a password login box. Do you have to me a member to use this? If not, what do I need to do to save the download?Thanks

I found another bug:Auction values are inflated by 25%. ;)Ok, I know this is how you designed it. But why?!

I found another bug:Auction values are inflated by 25%. ;)Ok, I know this is how you designed it. But why?!
They are inflated so you know the ceiling of players. Ideally this app would show a range of values (High and low) to look for, but I am limited to one field.The logic goes like this:1. These represent the maximum you should ever pay for a player. 2. Since you are bidding to get bargains, except for core players you HAVE to have, you will be getting players that come in cheaper than these numbers.3. Many players worth $3-$10 will likely go for a dollar as people blow their cap. Our value shows what they are worth (high end of that scale).4. By showing maximums, it shows that you should not be afraid to get a LT or Ricky Williams etc. It just means you will need to save a lot of cap later. I am going to tweak things in the future that allow you to assign percentages of cap to positions as well as adjust this fudge factor (all the way to zero if you want). I can tell you from personal experience though if you relax the fudge factor to zero, you will be outbid on all the stars and be getting outstanding value in the middle and end. Unfortunately that will get you a marginal team.I feel our numbers will make sure no one gets the stars too cheap and allow you to get value early so you can afford a few of them.Just a matter of preference I guess, but I have always liked how this presents things. Winning auctions generally means having some stars and then saving the rest of the way with every pick. You should never bid more than our values unless you know it will fit.Hope that helps.

I found another bug:

Auction values are inflated by 25%. ;)

Ok, I know this is how you designed it. But why?!
They are inflated so you know the ceiling of players. Ideally this app would show a range of values (High and low) to look for, but I am limited to one field.The logic goes like this:

1. These represent the maximum you should ever pay for a player.

2. Since you are bidding to get bargains, except for core players you HAVE to have, you will be getting players that come in cheaper than these numbers.

3. Many players worth $3-$10 will likely go for a dollar as people blow their cap. Our value shows what they are worth (high end of that scale).

4. By showing maximums, it shows that you should not be afraid to get a LT or Ricky Williams etc. It just means you will need to save a lot of cap later.

I am going to tweak things in the future that allow you to assign percentages of cap to positions as well as adjust this fudge factor (all the way to zero if you want).

I can tell you from personal experience though if you relax the fudge factor to zero, you will be outbid on all the stars and be getting outstanding value in the middle and end. Unfortunately that will get you a marginal team.

I feel our numbers will make sure no one gets the stars too cheap and allow you to get value early so you can afford a few of them.

Just a matter of preference I guess, but I have always liked how this presents things. Winning auctions generally means having some stars and then saving the rest of the way with every pick. You should never bid more than our values unless you know it will fit.

Hope that helps.
Thanks, David, it makes sense and I agree with you to some extent. Your personal experience is a bit different then mine. Last year in Beta league I used what would amount to a zero fudge factor and did end up with no real studs but a lot of middle tier players. I ended up 4th best in points through 17 weeks. I guess the thing about having a lot of middle tier players is that if some of them break out(Moulds, Garner and Toomer in my case) you will excel. However, if you forked out a third of your cap for Faulk and he tanks you're likely done unless you got very lucky on 1%-2% players.Also, point #2 is invalid. Since the VBD app prices players 25% more than the available money there are going to be lots of players that come in under your listed price, which still doesn't necessarily equal a bargain if they go for 10% "over" instead of the listed 25% "over".

I guess my major problem with it was 25% seems pretty excessive. This amounts to overpaying 6-8% of your cap for the amount of production you're getting for the top RBs. The fact is that if every player went for your values they'd run out of money before they even finished drafting starters, nevermind backups. I look forward to being able to adjust this fudge factor.

Anyway, have you thought about having a different cheatsheet for auction values, if possible? You really don't need the rightmost column of the cheatsheet in an auction format and if you eliminated that you could cram more columns of other useful information in. That's how I bastardized the VBD app for my auction leagues last year, anyway. :yucky:

Also, what about the possibility of having non-whole dollar amounts for minimum bid?

Have you thought about the option of specifying the % of the cap to allocate to starters and backups? This makes more sense to me than a certain % per position, but that's just me. I don't like to preclude the possibility of obtaining any player which is frequently what will happen(i.e. if you put QB % too low per what some people around here recommend).

I'm not complaining, I love the VBD app and can't imagine how much work you must put into it, I just wanted to offer some (hopefully) constructive criticism.

Thanks again!

Edited to add some stuff I forgot to mention

I semi agree that 25% sounds high but at 8, that translates to getting somebody at 6. I think that is exactly about right.Yes the spreadsheet that I want to create for auctions would keep track of all cap dollars by entering the price paid. This would then dynamically refeed the model constantly recalculating the dollars still available. Anything short of that gives the wrong answer in my opinion. Let me get caught up things and I will dedicate some time to hammer out a cool Auction App. I agree that the hobby needs one. I think I could program it in about 15 hours starting from my VBD App.

VBD virgin here. Any links to "how to use" would be great. I did read the tab that said to "Read Me First" and will tinker with the program, but like I said, some reference material would be great.

It's something that I found a couple of years ago (when they were cheatsheets.net) and I'm guessing that David and Co. have never removed it.When the VBD app comes out every year, somehow I remember to check that cell and I have told them about it every year and look where that has gotten me........
Just so people don't think you're crazy for finding, I thought I'd point out that I also notice this every year. I do because I do some reformatting on the Cheatsheet and start by removing all existing formatting... which makes the formerly black-on-black Bengals show up.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :yucky: , DdDdd, but it looks like the Fantasy Points calculation for the Defenses is still not tied into the inputs for Yards and Points. That is, if I change the Yards and Points stats it does not change the Fantasy Points.Z(I don't know if this belongs here or in the Applications forum)

Users who are viewing this thread