What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vick sounds off on his critics (1 Viewer)

jwvdcw

Footballguy
"People say I can't throw the ball from the pocket. I had to show them," Vick said. "From here on out, I don't want to hear that question -- if I can throw from the pocket.""I want people to praise me," Vick said. "If I'm winning games, don't criticize me. That's all I'm saying." M. Vick 22/31 228 1 0 (note: another sure TD was dropped by Finneran in the end zone)

"People say I can't throw the ball from the pocket. I had to show them," Vick said. "From here on out, I don't want to hear that question -- if I can throw from the pocket."

"I want people to praise me," Vick said. "If I'm winning games, don't criticize me. That's all I'm saying."

M. Vick 22/31 228 1 0 (note: another sure TD was dropped by Finneran in the end zone)
I dont think 1 good game labels him as a good pocket passer. I saw clips from his interview and he seemed a little arrogant to me. Maybe he was just pissed? Anyways, sure he had a decent passing day. But will that continue? Doubt it.

Maybe he and T.O. should play together? What a f'n bozo. You had your first good passing game in, well, forever, and you spout off about it? Shut your piehole, Vick, keep learning how to throw an NFL regulation-sized football, and build on this game rather than crow about it. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm one of his biggest defenders, and I think he should shut his mouth. His passing has been poor this year, no two ways about it. One good game is nice to see, but it's one in a row....

i agree with himif you heard the end of the interview he said as long as he's winning, dont criticize himand he's righthe said the players on the team know what he can do, and the coaches know what he can do and he wins gamesthats the whole point of the league....win games and try to win a titlehe doesnt care about fantasy football and there are other players in the league that are the exact same waydont compare him to TO, he's not even close

But that's what the media does, they criticize people. If Vick isn't usually a good pocket passer, why should they say otherwise? He gets enough praise for the good things he does that he should be able to take criticism like a man.

But that's what the media does, they criticize people. If Vick isn't usually a good pocket passer, why should they say otherwise? He gets enough praise for the good things he does that he should be able to take criticism like a man.
He gets plenty of praise from the NFL. That's all they talk about, Vick this, Vick that. They love this guy. How much more does he need?

But that's what the media does, they criticize people.  If Vick isn't usually a good pocket passer, why should they say otherwise?  He gets enough praise for the good things he does that he should be able to take criticism like a man.
He gets plenty of praise from the NFL. That's all they talk about, Vick this, Vick that. They love this guy. How much more does he need?
He gets just as much criticism as he does praise. I don't hear people saying "Vick this, Vick that."

"People say I can't throw the ball from the pocket. I had to show them," Vick said. "From here on out, I don't want to hear that question -- if I can throw from the pocket."

"I want people to praise me," Vick said. "If I'm winning games, don't criticize me. That's all I'm saying."

M. Vick 22/31 228 1 0 (note: another sure TD was dropped by Finneran in the end zone)
228 yards passing is enough to silence his critics? Get a 300 yard passing game and we'll talk Mikey.

With all the trouble TO is getting himself in I would think Vick would be smart enough to keep his mouth shut. Guess not. It was one game, big deal.

But that's what the media does, they criticize people.  If Vick isn't usually a good pocket passer, why should they say otherwise?  He gets enough praise for the good things he does that he should be able to take criticism like a man.
Isn't that what I said?

Maybe he and T.O. should play together? What a f'n bozo. You had your first good passing game in, well, forever, and you spout off about it? Shut your piehole, Vick, keep learning how to throw an NFL regulation-sized football, and build on this game rather than crow about it. :rolleyes:
Exactly. lol - what a putz:"HEY I DIDN'T SUCK LOOK I PASSED GOOD FOR ONCE SO I'M GREAT PASSING QB NOW DON'T BE DISSIN ME :cross arms:

Or maybe he's just pissed at how bad his ####### brother sucked last night. :cool:

It's called emotions at the heat of the moment. I'm sure you've never been ticked off by a comment which set you off? The question ticked him off as you can see in a quick change of demeanor when it was asked. Everyone has those moments. Favre, Manning, Mcnabb, they'll have moments where they get ticked off by a certain question.

I don't get the TO comparisons at all... did he rip his team? teammates? It just goes to show that it's been TO overload right now, everyone is consumed by it so they automatically draw a parallel. I've stayed as far away from this story as possible, it was so predictable it would end this way and frankly, it just bores me.

Imagine being one of the best players in the NFL, but still having a number of fans and media critics saying you're overrated. Especially when all you do is help your team win. Vick-hating is getting old. He may not be the greatest fantasy QB, but he's a great NFL player and his team wins because of it. There's really no debate anymore and anyone that keeps ripping him just looks silly.

Imagine being one of the best players in the NFL, but still having a number of fans and media critics saying you're overrated. Especially when all you do is help your team win. Vick-hating is getting old. He may not be the greatest fantasy QB, but he's a great NFL player and his team wins because of it. There's really no debate anymore and anyone that keeps ripping him just looks silly.
Please, for all the hype this guy receives I think a little criticism is OK.

i agree with him

if you heard the end of the interview he said as long as he's winning, dont criticize him

and he's right

he said the players on the team know what he can do, and the coaches know what he can do and he wins games

thats the whole point of the league....win games and try to win a title

he doesnt care about fantasy football and there are other players in the league that are the exact same way

dont compare him to TO, he's not even close
:goodposting:

I dont think 1 good game labels him as a good pocket passer. I saw clips from his interview and he seemed a little arrogant to me. Maybe he was just pissed? Anyways, sure he had a decent passing day. But will that continue? Doubt it.
I think he was just pissed because hes winning yet people keep critisizing him. And imho he has a great point...as long as he wins, why should he get crtitisized. I hope that he can just ignore the criticism and continue to win because I'd hate to see him try to 'prove people wrong' by being more of a pocket passer and having it cost his team games.

Imagine being one of the best players in the NFL, but still having a number of fans and media critics saying you're overrated.  Especially when all you do is help your team win.  Vick-hating is getting old.  He may not be the greatest fantasy QB, but he's a great NFL player and his team wins because of it.  There's really no debate anymore and anyone that keeps ripping him just looks silly.
I've heard people say that he isn't even a top 10 NFL QB. IMHO thats ridiculously unfair criticism. He helps his team more than all but one or two other QBs, and that makes him a top 5 AT LEAST if not top 3 QB.

when vick starts the falcons win...the rest is just details. he still isn't a good pocket passer though

Imagine being one of the best players in the NFL, but still having a number of fans and media critics saying you're overrated.
Vick is one of the best players in the NFL? Well, I guess that all depends on how many you are talking about. 10? 20? 50? I can say without absolute certainty that there are at least 15 players in the NFL that are better than Mike Vick.

The Fins have a vaunted defense... everyone knows they have the best secondary in the league. All praise be to Micahel Vick. In Vick's name, amen. :fishing:

Imagine being one of the best players in the NFL, but still having a number of fans and media critics saying you're overrated.  Especially when all you do is help your team win.  Vick-hating is getting old.  He may not be the greatest fantasy QB, but he's a great NFL player and his team wins because of it.  There's really no debate anymore and anyone that keeps ripping him just looks silly.
I've heard people say that he isn't even a top 10 NFL QB. IMHO thats ridiculously unfair criticism. He helps his team more than all but one or two other QBs, and that makes him a top 5 AT LEAST if not top 3 QB.
You're down 14 points with 5 minutes to go in the 4th. Do you trust Vick to lead your team to victory? How many other current QBs would you rather have in this situation?

He was emotional after a game, what's the big deal? This is NOT news, why do so many people care? Does the press have nothing to cover these days?

All players have these moments. Even well spoken year chad pennington blew up last with the media.The bottom line is they win and Vick causes defense to completely change the schemes.Who cares if stats suck. I know I'd rather have him on my team than a gunslinger like bulger who thows 50 times again.Oh and Baltimore had a great defense and thougt they could win without the Dilfer. We all know what happened after that

:violin:

when vick starts the falcons win...the rest is just details.  he still isn't a good pocket passer though
When Vinny turns the ball over 4 times in his own zone the Falcons win!When the D gives up 10 points the Falcons win! Who is the QB?? Does it matter?

People do need to get off Vicks ###. All week it was "Vick is regressing! Will he ever be able to throw a TD again?!". Guy is winning 69% of his games. Without him the team loses, a lot. And I don't want to hear about Dunn, about the ATL D. It's all smoke and mirrors. Just watch Dunn run. It's funny how the DE chases Vick after ever hand off. A lot easier to run when the LB/DE follow vick after the hand off. Cause when they don't chase Vick, he'll roll out and run for 20 yds. Pick your poison.And the ATL D blows. 23th overall D? The secondary is swiss cheese. The D line is undersized and can be dominated by a good run team. LBs are undersized. Brooking playing MLB is a mess. He has no WRs to speak of. No ATL WR would even be a #2 WR on ANY team in the NFL. Look at the effect TO had on Mcnabb. He's magically has a career year. Gee, maybe WRs do help. You have fools like Favre costing his team games week in and week out. 4th and 4 and he throws a hail mary to the TE? He could have crawled to a 1st down. The guy is a bumbling old man and is embarrassing himself. But Favre gets a pass because he's a) white b) was good 12 years ago. I seem to remember Vick going to GB and kicking their ### in the playoffs? Put Vick on GB and no way in hell they are 1-7. Sure he'd get killed, but he'd run for 150+ yds a few games and will them to some victories. I don't see Vick leading the league in INTs. I don't see Vick throwing 5 INTs. Actually, I don't see Vick losing games. He's 6-1 this year. But to listen to most fools, Vick is the #1 problem with the Falcons. Never mind the Falcons are one of the worst franchises in professional sports before he got there. In 38 years, they've never had back to back winning seasons. Among the 4 major sports, that's a record, BY FAR. Even the Clippers are 17 years away from that kind of suckage. But wait, Vick is a problem, he has to get better, he needs to fix his passing game. Excuse me? Fix the WRs. Fix the LBs. Fix the run D. Fix the secondary. Vick has not cost his team a win all year. The D spread their legs and gave up 3 TDs in the 2nd qrter to Seattle. Was that Vicks fault? Vick wins, he doesn't need to get better, and unless you want to lay into QBs who deserve criticism *cough* Favre *cough* you should keep it to yourself.

when vick starts the falcons win...the rest is just details.  he still isn't a good pocket passer though
When Vinny turns the ball over 4 times in his own zone the Falcons win!When the D gives up 10 points the Falcons win! Who is the QB?? Does it matter?
So explain the other 5 wins? It's funny how other teams magically come up short against the Falcons. It's funny how Vick is 18-1 at home. He's SO LUCKY!23rd rated D. No WRs to speak of. Who exactly is winning the games for the Falcons? God?

People do need to get off Vicks ###. All week it was "Vick is regressing! Will he ever be able to throw a TD again?!".

Guy is winning 69% of his games. Without him the team loses, a lot.

And I don't want to hear about Dunn, about the ATL D. It's all smoke and mirrors. Just watch Dunn run. It's funny how the DE chases Vick after ever hand off. A lot easier to run when the LB/DE follow vick after the hand off. Cause when they don't chase Vick, he'll roll out and run for 20 yds. Pick your poison.

And the ATL D blows. 23th overall D? The secondary is swiss cheese. The D line is undersized and can be dominated by a good run team. LBs are undersized. Brooking playing MLB is a mess.

He has no WRs to speak of. No ATL WR would even be a #2 WR on ANY team in the NFL. Look at the effect TO had on Mcnabb. He's magically has a career year. Gee, maybe WRs do help.

You have fools like Favre costing his team games week in and week out. 4th and 4 and he throws a hail mary to the TE? He could have crawled to a 1st down. The guy is a bumbling old man and is embarrassing himself. But Favre gets a pass because he's a) white b) was good 12 years ago. I seem to remember Vick going to GB and kicking their ### in the playoffs? Put Vick on GB and no way in hell they are 1-7. Sure he'd get killed, but he'd run for 150+ yds a few games and will them to some victories. I don't see Vick leading the league in INTs. I don't see Vick throwing 5 INTs.

Actually, I don't see Vick losing games. He's 6-1 this year. But to listen to most fools, Vick is the #1 problem with the Falcons. Never mind the Falcons are one of the worst franchises in professional sports before he got there. In 38 years, they've never had back to back winning seasons. Among the 4 major sports, that's a record, BY FAR. Even the Clippers are 17 years away from that kind of suckage. But wait, Vick is a problem, he has to get better, he needs to fix his passing game.

Excuse me? Fix the WRs. Fix the LBs. Fix the run D. Fix the secondary.

Vick has not cost his team a win all year. The D spread their legs and gave up 3 TDs in the 2nd qrter to Seattle. Was that Vicks fault? Vick wins, he doesn't need to get better, and unless you want to lay into QBs who deserve criticism *cough* Favre *cough* you should keep it to yourself.
Favre is a HOF and Vick is obviously not a complete QB but the bolded statement tells a lot about how unfair Vick is judged. Everyone lets Favre pass for that play because he is the old gunslinger trying to make a play BUT if Vick was in 4th and 4 and tried to run for a first and didn't make it and video showed he could have passed for one easily, there would be screaming all over the place that Vick shouldn't be back there at QB. I know Vick is overhyped but it is pretty hypocritical to allow Favre (or any QB) a pass for making a bad decision and ripping Vick (or any less liked QB) a new one for making a bad decision.

I was watching ESPN and Irvin was interviewing Payton Manning.He asked something about the criticism that Manning receives for the Colts lack of success in Foxboro.Manning, one of the great QBs of all time, responded with, "That's a fair question" instead of the prefered response of some QBs, "I want people to praise me."Vick should study Manning not only to see how to throw an accurate pass from the pocket and read a defense, but also how to handle criticism like a professional.

A Falcons fan called into Fox's sports radio morning show, and said that Vick's statement was heavily edited - but edited to make Vick look BETTER. He actually said to praise him when he wins, and not criticize him when he loses. Now, if that is true (and this comes from a Falcons fan, so there is some credibility here), then that is much worse than what is being shown. If your team loses, you are going to get criticized - period.

Roethlisberger is twice the QB that Vick is, and he has won at a higher rate as a starter than Vick, and Roethlisberger comes in for some criticism - some of it well deserved, I might add.If Vick wants the big paycheck, then he's got to accept some heat - especially when he is shoved down our throats as being the greatest athlete ever to play in the NFL (although there are at least a dozen better QBs in the league right now). I can say with great confidence that unless Vick learns how to play QB and not just rely on being the best athlete on the field that ATL will never win a SB with him starting.That he is acting this defiantly about his poor QB play leads me to believe that he'll probably never improve much more as a QB.Michael - grow up, suck it up, and shut up until you learn how to play QB effectively. Either that, or give up all the scratch & quit if you can't take some heat.

You have fools like Favre costing his team games week in and week out. 4th and 4 and he throws a hail mary to the TE? He could have crawled to a 1st down. The guy is a bumbling old man and is embarrassing himself. But Favre gets a pass because he's a) white b) was good 12 years ago. I seem to remember Vick going to GB and kicking their ### in the playoffs? Put Vick on GB and no way in hell they are 1-7. Sure he'd get killed, but he'd run for 150+ yds a few games and will them to some victories. I don't see Vick leading the league in INTs. I don't see Vick throwing 5 INTs.
LOLThis is either a great fishing trip or one of the more ignorant things ever posted at this board... :fishing:BTW - the reason Vick doesn't throw 5 INTs is that he never gets that many throws close enough to anyone on the field to get picked that much. :lmao:

Statements like this are why Vick gets ripped. He's certainly not one of the best players in the NFL, unless your list is hundreds of players long. He's not even a top-5 QB! Would anyone really rather have Vick leading his NFL team instead of Brady, Manning, McNabb, Palmer, or Brees?Vick is the 30th ranked QB in passing yards this year and 26th is passer rating. I'd rather have a guy like Bulger or Delhomme who can put the ball where it's supposed to go. Even Bledsoe is significantly better than Vick this year.

QUOTE(nathanbalboa @ Nov 6 2005, 08:31 PM)Imagine being one of the best players in the NFL, but still having a number of fans and media critics saying you're overrated. Especially when all you do is help your team win. Vick-hating is getting old. He may not be the greatest fantasy QB, but he's a great NFL player and his team wins because of it. There's really no debate anymore and anyone that keeps ripping him just looks silly.Statements like this are why Vick gets ripped. He's certainly not one of the best players in the NFL, unless your list is hundreds of players long. He's not even a top-5 QB! Would anyone really rather have Vick leading his NFL team instead of Brady, Manning, McNabb, Palmer, or Brees?Vick is the 30th ranked QB in passing yards this year and 26th is passer rating. I'd rather have a guy like Bulger or Delhomme who can put the ball where it's supposed to go. Even Bledsoe is significantly better than Vick this year.
Do you really think the offense comes from Dunn, Duckett, Jenkins, White, Price (04), Crumpler? That's a pretty average group of offensive players, but with Vick in there they keep winning games. He makes everyone around him better. Just because he doesn't look/play like many other QB's, doesn't mean he's not great.I went through Favre's development (as a Packers fan) and his process was maddenning. Tons of interceptions and poor decisions. Now Vick will never be as good of a passer as Favre is, but when it comes to winning and getting your team through the play-offs, he's ahead of the curve. Favre had some 9-7 years and then got beat down by Cowboys year after year. It wasn't until we got home field advantage did we get to the Super Bowl.Vick's consistently getting the Falcons to the play-offs very early in his career and last year they were in the NFC Championship game. Vick's a huge piece of the winning and because of that, he's a top NFL player. Atlanta's done a great job of taking their star player and surrounding him with a team that fits his skills. Vick going down is the only thing that will keep this team from competing.Once again, this whole argument is silly.

Do you really think the offense comes from Dunn, Duckett, Jenkins, White, Price (04), Crumpler? That's a pretty average group of offensive players, but with Vick in there they keep winning games. He makes everyone around him better. Just because he doesn't look/play like many other QB's, doesn't mean he's not great
Schaub in his 2nd ever career start against the Patriots threw for 298, 3 touchdowns and 0 interceptions with those average players. Why can't Vick seem to do that? He still didn't do that this week and he wants to be praised for something a newcomer could beat?

[schaub in his 2nd ever career start against the Patriots threw for 298, 3 touchdowns and 0 interceptions with those average players. Why can't Vick seem to do that? He still didn't do that this week and he wants to be praised for something a newcomer could beat?]Double J, you're absolutely righthey, who won that game again?

That he is acting this defiantly about his poor QB play leads me to believe that he'll probably never improve much more as a QB.
Exactly. In fact, it seems like he doesn't even want to improve as a passer. It shows how arrogant he is that he thinks he can run around like he does and have a long NFL career. How many times has he been hurt already and missed games? At the rate he is going, he will be out of the league by 2008. Why? Because he will suffer an injury that takes away some of his mobility and once he has to solely rely on his arm, he is done.
Do you really think the offense comes from Dunn, Duckett, Jenkins, White, Price (04), Crumpler? That's a pretty average group of offensive players, but with Vick in there they keep winning games. He makes everyone around him better. Just because he doesn't look/play like many other QB's, doesn't mean he's not great.

Vick's consistently getting the Falcons to the play-offs very early in his career and last year they were in the NFC Championship game. Vick's a huge piece of the winning and because of that, he's a top NFL player. Atlanta's done a great job of taking their star player and surrounding him with a team that fits his skills. Vick going down is the only thing that will keep this team from competing.

Once again, this whole argument is silly.
Dunn and Duckett are a very good RB tandem. Crumpler is one of the five best TE's in the NFL. And ever think that no Atlanta WR has made any improvement since Vick got there because he is a terrible passer who cannot consistently get them the ball?

As for Atlanta's 23rd ranked defense, they are 10th in the NFL in points allowed, which is a far more important stat since points are what wins and loses games.

I am not denying that Vick isn't important to the Falcons. He is. I think he gives the team a psychological edge because the team knows he can make big plays with his feet, so they play with a little more fire. However, that doesn't excuse him from criticism of his poor passing skills.

Users who are viewing this thread