What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to? (8 Viewers)

Finished Dragon Age 3......fantastic game. Enjoyed every minute.

We have not started XCOM 2 for the first time.......we are playing a backlog that has been growing for years......I loved the first one on PS3.....and love this one even more.

We have not started XCOM 2 for the first time.......we are playing a backlog that has been growing for years......I loved the first one on PS3.....and love this one even more.
Great title. I played this on PS4 originally. Finished it, but the loading times got ridiculously long as I got deeper into the campaign. Think 5 minutes of loading, literally. Now, I know you probably never feel a need to reload one of your saves in XCOM, but I've been known to do so from time to time, and this was just absolutely brutal. Double-dipped on PC a couple of years ago and holy hell was that a game-changer. Not only does the game just run great, but it's clearly one of those titles that was meant to be played with a mouse, not a controller.

Now I'm wishing Firaxis would get after it and give us XCOM 3 already.

I had to put Resident Evil 4 down for a little while so I don't burn myself out on it. I beat it on Standard the first time, and then went through NG+ on Hardcore or whatever the next difficulty level is. Both runs were lots of fun. The problem now is that Capcom has a bunch of unlockables stuck behind what are essentially speed runs. I did a fast run with the infinite rocket launcher to unlock Ashley's suit of armor, which is going to help a lot when I eventually play on Professional. But what I really want is the Chicago Sweeper (SMG with infinite ammo), and that's another speedrun.

Look, it's fun to blast through the game with the rocket launcher. Very cathartic. But I really want to do a "regular" run, either on a fresh save or NG+. I don't want to use the rocket launcher or worry about my time or how many times I've saved. They should have more useful stuff that unlocks just from normal play.

Going just by online reviews and reddit specifically, Redfall is a disaster.
Can you tell if it’s performance issues or the gameplay that’s driving it? Could be both. I read it’s horribly optimized for PC which can lead to a ton of negative reviews regardless of quality. The Last of Us as an example has “mixed” reviews on Steam because it’s runs so poorly. This one looked intriguing to me, but maybe it’s just bad.

Can you tell if it’s performance issues or the gameplay that’s driving it? Could be both. I read it’s horribly optimized for PC which can lead to a ton of negative reviews regardless of quality. The Last of Us as an example has “mixed” reviews on Steam because it’s runs so poorly. This one looked intriguing to me, but maybe it’s just bad.

I’m seeing both. A lot of people saying the game just feels kinda hollow but most criticism is geared towards it not really looking like a next gen title, some poor graphics, glitches, etc.

Finished Dragon Age 3......fantastic game. Enjoyed every minute.

What build did you use?

I’m seeing both. A lot of people saying the game just feels kinda hollow but most criticism is geared towards it not really looking like a next gen title, some poor graphics, glitches, etc.

Pretty scathing line below.

The set design, art, music, sound, and voice acting are all solid, sometimes splendid. But the actual gameplay is mostly uninspired marker quests, inventory stat comparisons, and brain-dead-enemy shooting with awkward-feeling guns.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2023...-redfalls-always-online-nature-really-stinks/

I had to put Resident Evil 4 down for a little while so I don't burn myself out on it. I beat it on Standard the first time, and then went through NG+ on Hardcore or whatever the next difficulty level is. Both runs were lots of fun. The problem now is that Capcom has a bunch of unlockables stuck behind what are essentially speed runs. I did a fast run with the infinite rocket launcher to unlock Ashley's suit of armor, which is going to help a lot when I eventually play on Professional. But what I really want is the Chicago Sweeper (SMG with infinite ammo), and that's another speedrun.

Look, it's fun to blast through the game with the rocket launcher. Very cathartic. But I really want to do a "regular" run, either on a fresh save or NG+. I don't want to use the rocket launcher or worry about my time or how many times I've saved. They should have more useful stuff that unlocks just from normal play.
With the way Capcom has been going I'm just glad that all the classics are offered.

I'm going through a second playthrough on Hardcore now. Total new game instead of plus. Having a much easier time than my standard playthrough because I understand the combat better. Still a lot of fun.

Putting away Cyberpunk until the DLC drops and am currently installing and updating Elden Ring - excited to jump in and see what everyone's been raving about! I'm sure I'll agonize over what class I should pick to start out with. I think my first playthrough will focus on magic but I'd like to be able to wield some sweet weapons at some point. How long will it take me to at least be able to protect myself if someone gets in range?

Putting away Cyberpunk until the DLC drops and am currently installing and updating Elden Ring - excited to jump in and see what everyone's been raving about! I'm sure I'll agonize over what class I should pick to start out with. I think my first playthrough will focus on magic but I'd like to be able to wield some sweet weapons at some point. How long will it take me to at least be able to protect myself if someone gets in range?

IMHO, Playing your first play-through w/o a walkthrough as a mage is VERY hard. I have played and bested every souls game except for Bloodbourne. I attempted to do what you’re suggesting, and I had to restart.

Microsoft has been lucky that Game Pass is a killer app, because if they were competing on the basis of traditional console exclusives, they wouldn’t have much of a use case.

I’ve never played a FromSoftware game but I think I’m gonna get Elden Ring. I know it’s more open world than their other stuff and they aren’t connected at all, but is it a bad idea for Elden Ring to be my introduction to their stuff?

I’ve never played a FromSoftware game but I think I’m gonna get Elden Ring. I know it’s more open world than their other stuff and they aren’t connected at all, but is it a bad idea for Elden Ring to be my introduction to their stuff?

No. They’re all standalone games.

I will say that Elden Ring is MASSIVE.

Because it’s my favorite game of all time- I would suggest Dark Sous remastered. Once you play Elden ring it’s very unlikely you’ll want to go backwards. Mostly because of the controls but the earlier franchises do a little bit better job of surprising you. By Elden Ring they have advanced past those type of experiences.

Because it’s my favorite game of all time- I would suggest Dark Sous remastered. Once you play Elden ring it’s very unlikely you’ll want to go backwards. Mostly because of the controls but the earlier franchises do a little bit better job of surprising you. By Elden Ring they have advanced past those type of experiences.
Here’s been my reservation about all of their games, with one exception I’ll mention later. I hate the feeling of not knowing where to go in anything other than open world games. Even games like DOOM Eternal or God of War get frustrating for me. I know I’ll have to go all out for Elden Ring in terms of reading the wikis and figuring out how to cheese, that aspect of their games has always been appealing to me. Does that make sense?

Exception is Sekiro, which I bought on sale and will definitely play in the future. The combat looks incredible in that one and will be enough to overcome any shortcomings for me.

They are not all standalone, I played the first one they released on the PS1 in the early 90's, Kings Field. It was one of the first few PS1 games that I owned.

At the time the game was revolutionary, it was one of the first major first person RPG, releasing around the same time as elders scrolls 1. FromGames eventually released 4 games in the Kings field series.

/end nerd :nerd:

They are not all standalone, I played the first one they released on the PS1 in the early 90's, Kings Field. It was one of the first few PS1 games that I owned.

At the time the game was revolutionary, it was one of the first major first person RPG, releasing around the same time as elders scrolls 1. FromGames eventually released 4 games in the Kings field series.

/end nerd :nerd:

I played that one too. It was great. Weird yet oddly great graphics for the time. I would end up stuck fighting skeletons and never got out of the first dungeon.

Here’s been my reservation about all of their games, with one exception I’ll mention later. I hate the feeling of not knowing where to go in anything other than open world games. Even games like DOOM Eternal or God of War get frustrating for me. I know I’ll have to go all out for Elden Ring in terms of reading the wikis and figuring out how to cheese, that aspect of their games has always been appealing to me. Does that make sense?

Exception is Sekiro, which I bought on sale and will definitely play in the future. The combat looks incredible in that one and will be enough to overcome any shortcomings for me.

I know what you mean. My pushback is that DS is mostly open world and there’s no reason you can’t use a guide for that too. (We all did at some point.)

I feel like Elden Ring is great but it doesn’t have many jumpy/scary moments that the earlier souls games had. Maybe I’m a Souls vet but I used to almost crap my pants the first couple of games.

With all that said- Elden Ring is the best looking and playing version of them so far and I can’t blame you for wanting to jump in.

I want to do a fresh run on pro. I'm scared though

I want to do a fresh run on pro. I'm scared though
Make sure you have combat and movement mastered. Every enemy is 1.5 speed on pro.

Time to dust off the Switch for the new Zelda dropping tomorrow
I've been carefully following some people who have been playing the leak, mainly to get gameplay info, but no other spoilers. This game seems like it's going to be incredible.
I didnt like BotW as much as everyone else seemed to like it but probably still getting this.
The main takeaway it that TOTK seems to have a world with much more to do in it. One of BOTW's criticisms was the large, but empty open world. This game seems to really address that.

I've been playing video games since Atari. I bought Elden Ring but have yet to play it. However, my 14-year-old son has been playing it. He plays it after school and then comes down for dinner and is like, "I can't beat this boss! I need this weapon but it needs this many runes and so I have to go to this other section and farm for more runes but I died and all my runes were at the spot I died and I had to go back there but ran into this other boss and couldn't beat him and runes runes boss boss farm farm blah blah blah." (I'm making this up and have no idea how accurate it is, by the way.) I want to stab my eardrums so I don't have to listen to Elden Ring recaps in real time.

I've been carefully following some people who have been playing the leak, mainly to get gameplay info, but no other spoilers. This game seems like it's going to be incredible.
I didnt like BotW as much as everyone else seemed to like it but probably still getting this.
The main takeaway it that TOTK seems to have a world with much more to do in it. One of BOTW's criticisms was the large, but empty open world. This game seems to really address that.

I haven't played a Zelda game since Wind Walker (Which I liked a lot), but this looks incredible.

I've been playing video games since Atari. I bought Elden Ring but have yet to play it. However, my 14-year-old son has been playing it. He plays it after school and then comes down for dinner and is like, "I can't beat this boss! I need this weapon but it needs this many runes and so I have to go to this other section and farm for more runes but I died and all my runes were at the spot I died and I had to go back there but ran into this other boss and couldn't beat him and runes runes boss boss farm farm blah blah blah." (I'm making this up and have no idea how accurate it is, by the way.) I want to stab my eardrums so I don't have to listen to Elden Ring recaps in real time.

No that's accurate. They make their games way too difficult and I hope it's a trend that goes away soon.

No that's accurate. They make their games way too difficult and I hope it's a trend that goes away soon.
I dont understand why people like these games. I play video games to relax not to stress myself out.

a) Your son's description of Elden Ring is pretty much spot-on. I think you may have copied and pasted from some of From Software's PR material actually.

b) If your son think this is bad, tell him about Demon's Souls. In that game, other players could "invade" your world at any time. Invaders have one purpose and one purpose only: to track you down and kill you. Why? No particular reason. It's just fun. Also, you could pretty much guarantee that every invader would be armed to the teeth with end-game gear despite being Level 4 or whatever, so these were never fair fights. And they were not optional. Either you allow yourself to get invaded whenever some rando feels like trolling you, or you play offline. Demon's Souls represented the modern pinnacle of bullying-as-gameplay and the US has been on a non-stop trajectory of cultural decline ever since FromSoft backed away from this model.

I dont understand why people like these games. I play video games to relax not to stress myself out.

I've said this before, but In the abstract, Fromsoft games are not much different than the old Mario type games or any other platformer.

You go through the level. It's hard. You die and go back to the beginning.... but the second time it's easier because you know what's coming. You'll still die again, but you keep getting a little further, and it's more of a challenge than frustration. Once you beat it, you can probably run through it again in minutes and wonder why it gave you so much trouble in the first place.

These games are really only hard if you go into it button mashing and refuse to use shields and/or dodge. You won't win standing in front of something and continually pushing the attack button or waiting to counter like you do in a hundred other games. Now if that's more your game, no problem - I like them too - but there are a million games for that. The AC games, Witcher, God of War, etc etc. I feel overpowered as heck in the Witcher and AC and Jedi games, and it's fun. But Soulsborne scratches a different itch - once they "click" with you it's addicting as heck. But they may never click - the point in every other game is not to die, but it's part of the game mechanic here. I've spent time not trying to beat a boss, but just seeing how long I could last dodging to get better at it. Or I've done a million suicide runs just to get an item I wanted or open a shortcut.

I've said this before, but In the abstract, Fromsoft games are not much different than the old Mario type games or any other platformer.

You go through the level. It's hard. You die and go back to the beginning.... but the second time it's easier because you know what's coming. You'll still die again, but you keep getting a little further, and it's more of a challenge than frustration. Once you beat it, you can probably run through it again in minutes and wonder why it gave you so much trouble in the first place.

These games are really only hard if you go into it button mashing and refuse to use shields and/or dodge. You won't win standing in front of something and continually pushing the attack button or waiting to counter like you do in a hundred other games. Now if that's more your game, no problem - I like them too - but there are a million games for that. The AC games, Witcher, God of War, etc etc. I feel overpowered as heck in the Witcher and AC and Jedi games, and it's fun. But Soulsborne scratches a different itch - once they "click" with you it's addicting as heck. But they may never click - the point in every other game is not to die, but it's part of the game mechanic here. I've spent time not trying to beat a boss, but just seeing how long I could last dodging to get better at it. Or I've done a million suicide runs just to get an item I wanted or open a shortcut.
What pissed me off about Elden Ring was that it was the perfect game for 75% of the game, then went to complete **** for me for the last 25%.

The first 75% you can make the game as difficult or as easy as you want. I've always wanted an open world game that was difficult enough that you needed to do the side stuff to get strong enough to complete it. This is the case for about 75% of Elden Ring. You can focus on improving your character at the start, making things more reasonable. Then you max out your sword, health, etc. and you run out of things to upgrade. But the last 25% the difficulty still keeps increasing. I feel like I wasted my time because the last part of the game is just too stressful. I went from feeling like I really accomplished something making a powerful dude, then the game takes a huge **** on all that with the end game bosses.

Reactions: jwb

I certainly hope not. These are my favorite games.

This is a great explanation. I dont get any enjoyment or satisfaction if a game is too easy. Its why I stopped playing all the Zelda games.

• Thanks

This is a great explanation. I dont get any enjoyment or satisfaction if a game is too easy. Its why I stopped playing all the Zelda games.
Then why can't they make their games like every other game and include difficulty settings? Those who want the challenge can go for it. Seems like it would appease everyone.

It's frustrating because Elden Ring did so many things right that other open world games get wrong.

Then why can't they make their games like every other game and include difficulty settings? Those who want the challenge can go for it. Seems like it would appease everyone.

It's frustrating because Elden Ring did so many things right that other open world games get wrong.

Cause that's how their games are. They will never make them easy. And I love them for it.

Cause that's how their games are. They will never make them easy. And I love them for it.

This is always the answer to the question. No actual reason other than a middle finger to a large portion of their potential playerbase.

I haven't played a Zelda game since Wind Walker (Which I liked a lot), but this looks incredible.
WW was good, and then the last I played was the one after it (I think) Twilight Princess. Alrhough as I remember it, that one took a lot of elements from OoT. But OoT, for my money, is still the best ever. And yes, that's probably the nostalgia speaking.

I have a retro NES, but that's one of the main reasons I'm not spending much time with the original Super Mario, either.

Games had to be that hard back then because they were so short. It took me months to beat Kid Icarus and Castlevania. The games had like 4 levels.

FromSoft games do have difficulty settings. It's just that they're baked into the gameplay and not something you select in a menu.

Want a hard experience in one of these games? Roll a strength build. Don't summon anybody to help with bosses. Don't use spells. Don't use spirit ashes (Elden Ring only).

Want a much easier experience? Go with a mage. Melt bosses at range where they can't touch you. Start every encounter with Mimic Tear or Black Knife Tiche. Summon coop partners for bosses.

Admittedly, this is sometimes hidden from the player. Most people who play Bloodborne can go through the entire game without realizing that it's even possible to do a spell-caster, and they'll probably need to follow a guide to figure out how to do it. But spell-casters in that game just trivialize every boss encounter except Ebrietas and Abhorrent Beast, both of which are optional.

This is always the answer to the question. No actual reason other than a middle finger to a large portion of their potential playerbase.

Im not trying to be confrontational or political, but Im struggling to find a different way of putting this so please work with me a little.....

That sounds like some odd socialist type issue. MOST games are a cakewalk and I dont care for them. Why does Fromsoft need to make their games easy for all these "potential players"? They can play their own easy stuff. Im struggling to understand why they need to cater to non-fans?

I have a retro NES, but that's one of the main reasons I'm not spending much time with the original Super Mario, either.

I beat SMB when I was in the 3rd grade. I was 7 or 8 years old. They make a million games for you, why cant I have some tougher games to enjoy?

I guess Im not understanding - - why do you want to play a game that you dont find enjoyable?

ETA - Im genuinely asking because Im curious. Im not trying to make fun of you or anything. :-)

Im not trying to be confrontational or political, but Im struggling to find a different way of putting this so please work with me a little.....

That sounds like some odd socialist type issue. MOST games are a cakewalk and I dont care for them. Why does Fromsoft need to make their games easy for all these "potential players"? They can play their own easy stuff. Im struggling to understand why they need to cater to non-fans?

Because it would be an easy thing to add and put to bed a huge gripe with the game? People who like it difficult would have the game unchanged for them, but those who do not, can have the option. I only see it as a win-win.

I agree that other games like AC, Far Cry, Zelda can be too easy. They're fun in theor own ways, but still easy. Elden Ring, for me, is too hard at end game. Opposite end of the spectrum. Why can't there be something in between? Elden Ring was so close to being that for me.

I beat SMB when I was in the 3rd grade. I was 7 or 8 years old. They make a million games for you, why cant I have some tougher games to enjoy?

I guess Im not understanding - - why do you want to play a game that you dont find enjoyable?

ETA - Im genuinely asking because Im curious. Im not trying to make fun of you or anything. :-)

No one wants to change your game experience. The option to make the game easier is just that, an option that would be added to the settings like tons of other games have. You could still play the normal game as you want to.

No one wants to change your game experience. The option to make the game easier is just that, an option. You could still play the normal game as you want to.

I still dont understand why you HAVE to play this game but Im not going to beat a dead horse.

Ivan and I have addressed the question that there is a pretty easy mode - summoning other players. When its 3 humans vs a boss the boss is melted away in seconds.

No one wants to change your game experience. The option to make the game easier is just that, an option. You could still play the normal game as you want to.

I still dont understand why you HAVE to play this game but Im not going to beat a dead horse.

Ivan and I have addressed the question that there is a pretty easy mode - summoning other players. When its 3 humans vs a boss the boss is melted away in seconds.

Because the game does so many other things right that others fail at. I wouldn't give a **** otherwise, you're right.

I tried summoning and it was a huge pain in the *** most of the time.

I'm saying I don't want to play Elden Ring for the same reason I don't pick up SMB very often.

Users who are viewing this thread