What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vikings Looking to Deal Culpepper (1 Viewer)

CA_7

Footballguy
Inquiring minds want to know....

DAUNTE DONE IN MINNY?

At a time when many of our readers are asking whether quarterback Daunte Culpepper wants out of Minnesota, we're hearing that the Vikings could be the ones making the decision for him.

The thinking is that new Vikings coach Brad Childress doesn't believe that Culpepper will be able to run the West Coast offense, since Culpepper hasn't shown a consistent ability to change plays based on the looks he is getting from the defense. Indeed, his only pre-snap aptitude that we've ever detected was his propensity to spot single coverage on receiver Randy Moss -- and then to chuck the ball to him deep.

The separate, and more significant, issue is Culpepper's knee, which was blown apart on October 30 at Carolina. Even if he is able to start the first regular season game, he'll need every snap in the offseason, training camp, and the preseason to enable him to get ready to run a new offense.

So it could be that, a year after the Vikings shipped Moss out of town for a relatively light package of picks and a player who didn't really contribute in 2005, the Vikes might send packing the guy who supposedly wanted Randy's bad influence out of the way so that he could lead the team without being undermined.

The objective evidence points to problems. Culpepper and Childress have yet to meet in person, and Daunte has been dissing members of the organization ever since he became a forgotten man during the team's improbable six-game winning streak. Pending criminal charges for something he claims he didn't do doesn't help matters, either.

An industry source tells us that Daunte is merely laying low as he considers the various changes to the organization, but we've got a feeling that, even if there's nothing more to it right now, it's heading in the direction of a divorce.

If Daunte is going to get moved, possible destinations are Arizona, Oakland, Miami (if offensive coordinator Scott Linehan stays), and St. Louis (if Linehan becomes the next head coach of the Rams). The Vikings have the cap room to make the move, and Culpepper's value isn't going to get any higher if he struggles for a year or two learning the new attack.

So keep an eye on this one. Barring a public smooch-fest in the near future, our guess is that the new direction in Minny won't include the quarterback whom many thought would lead the team into the next decade.
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

DAUNTE DONE IN MINNY?

At a time when many of our readers are asking whether quarterback Daunte Culpepper wants out of Minnesota, we're hearing that the Vikings could be the ones making the decision for him.

The thinking is that new Vikings coach Brad Childress doesn't believe that Culpepper will be able to run the West Coast offense, since Culpepper hasn't shown a consistent ability to change plays based on the looks he is getting from the defense. Indeed, his only pre-snap aptitude that we've ever detected was his propensity to spot single coverage on receiver Randy Moss -- and then to chuck the ball to him deep.

The separate, and more significant, issue is Culpepper's knee, which was blown apart on October 30 at Carolina. Even if he is able to start the first regular season game, he'll need every snap in the offseason, training camp, and the preseason to enable him to get ready to run a new offense.

So it could be that, a year after the Vikings shipped Moss out of town for a relatively light package of picks and a player who didn't really contribute in 2005, the Vikes might send packing the guy who supposedly wanted Randy's bad influence out of the way so that he could lead the team without being undermined.

The objective evidence points to problems. Culpepper and Childress have yet to meet in person, and Daunte has been dissing members of the organization ever since he became a forgotten man during the team's improbable six-game winning streak. Pending criminal charges for something he claims he didn't do doesn't help matters, either.

An industry source tells us that Daunte is merely laying low as he considers the various changes to the organization, but we've got a feeling that, even if there's nothing more to it right now, it's heading in the direction of a divorce.

If Daunte is going to get moved, possible destinations are Arizona, Oakland, Miami (if offensive coordinator Scott Linehan stays), and St. Louis (if Linehan becomes the next head coach of the Rams). The Vikings have the cap room to make the move, and Culpepper's value isn't going to get any higher if he struggles for a year or two learning the new attack.

So keep an eye on this one. Barring a public smooch-fest in the near future, our guess is that the new direction in Minny won't include the quarterback whom many thought would lead the team into the next decade.
didn't childress already say that culpepper was th franchise QB?didn't ESPN report that Brad Johnson believed it enough to request a trade?

I find this one hard to believe

Two things 1. This has already been mentioned here.2. As a CPep owner, I'd welcome a change of venue."Arizona, Oakland, Miami (if offensive coordinator Scott Linehan stays), and St. Louis" - excuse me? Rams? I don't think so. I doubt Oakland either, but Miami or Arizona would be possible and great for him.

I doubt it. Unless the new guys are naive. In the NFL, when you get a franchise QB you count your blessings. They may spend the next 10 years looking for a franchise QB to replace him.

DAUNTE DONE IN MINNY?

The thinking is that new Vikings coach Brad Childress doesn't believe that Culpepper will be able to run the West Coast offense, since Culpepper hasn't shown a consistent ability to change plays based on the looks he is getting from the defense.  Indeed, his only pre-snap aptitude that we've ever detected was his propensity to spot single coverage on receiver Randy Moss -- and then to chuck the ball to him deep.

The separate, and more significant, issue is Culpepper's knee, which was blown apart on October 30 at Carolina.  Even if he is able to start the first regular season game, he'll need every snap in the offseason, training camp, and the preseason to enable him to get ready to run a new offense.

The objective evidence points to problems.  Culpepper and Childress have yet to meet in person, and Daunte has been dissing members of the organization ever since he became a forgotten man during the team's improbable six-game winning streak.  Pending criminal charges for something he claims he didn't do doesn't help matters, either.

If Daunte is going to get moved, possible destinations are Arizona, Oakland, Miami (if offensive coordinator Scott Linehan stays), and St. Louis (if Linehan becomes the next head coach of the Rams).  The Vikings have the cap room to make the move, and Culpepper's value isn't going to get any higher if he struggles for a year or two learning the new attack.

So keep an eye on this one.  Barring a public smooch-fest in the near future, our guess is that the new direction in Minny won't include the quarterback whom many thought would lead the team into the next decade.
didn't childress already say that culpepper was th franchise QB?didn't ESPN report that Brad Johnson believed it enough to request a trade?

Not only that but don't you usually want to trade a guy when his trade value is at its peek? Coming off a major knee injury where he may not be ready at the start of next season seems like the worst time to trade him. I can't imagine the Vikes getting much for him at this point.

DAUNTE DONE IN MINNY?

Not only that but don't you usually want to trade a guy when his trade value is at its peek? Coming off a major knee injury where he may not be ready at the start of next season seems like the worst time to trade him. I can't imagine the Vikes getting much for him at this point.
Exactly. Untill Culpepper gets out and starts playing no one is going to offer up anything more than a Late 3rd round or a 4th round draft pick.You think a new owner and a new HC are going to throw away a possible franchise QB for a 4th round pick??

:loco: :loco:

Trade to Oakland and reunite with Randy Moss? :lmao: I doubt this happens, at least I hope not. Culpepper had a horrible year last year even before the injury, but the new QB coach has me excited :thumbup:

Yeah, Culpepper could never grasp the short throws that the WCO requires, all he did was set an NCAA record for single-season completion percentage at .736. No accuracy at all... :rolleyes: No chance that he gets traded, this is total :bs:

I doubt it. Unless the new guys are naive. In the NFL, when you get a franchise QB you count your blessings. They may spend the next 10 years looking for a franchise QB to replace him.
Culpepper is a franchise QB? I'm unconvinced.

7 year career1st-Drafted, sits a year+replaces Jeff George and Cunningham next year.

Last-plays 7 games

The other 5 seasons:

Offense ranked 1,1,3,5, and 12

Probably averages 3500 yards and 25 TDs

LOWEST completion percentage 60.6%

Top RBs changed, Top WRs changed, Top Tackler has changed, etc.

What more do ya need?

1) It's going to be difficult if not impossible to trade Culpepper this offseason given his new contract [remember they extended him last year] and his injury. Unless something has changed, it was my understanding that he isn't likely to be ready for training camp much less the offseason period when trading him would be an option.2) Whether Brad Childress was paying Culpepper lip service or not, he contends that Culpepper was the 2nd ranked QB on the Eagles board [McNabb was 1st] and he personally put Culpepper through a workout that year and felt afterward that he was more than equipped to be a highly efficient WCO QB.

7 year career1st-Drafted, sits a year+replaces Jeff George and Cunningham next year.

Last-plays 7 games

The other 5 seasons:

What more do ya need?
how'd he do without Moss? How'd he look this year without a stud WR?I'm not saying he's horrible, but before he got hurt he looked like Joey Harrington this season. I'd be concerned if I were a Vike's fan.

Last-plays 7 games

The other 5 seasons:

What more do ya need?
how'd he do without Moss? How'd he look this year without a stud WR?I'm not saying he's horrible, but before he got hurt he looked like Joey Harrington this season. I'd be concerned if I were a Vike's fan.
yeah but 7 years already, how many does he have to play before he's the Vikes franchise QB, in your opinion?

culpepper turns the ball over too often to be a stud NFL QB. the difference between cpep in real life and cpep in fantasy football is almost as wide as aaron brooks real life vs. fantasy footballadd to this a new owner, new head coach, his recent injury, a high profile off-field incident, and grumblings surrounding his maryjane use and crew...that doesn't all add up to untouchable, franchise QB to me (with that being said i do not believe he'll be traded, but i wouldn't be shocked either)

culpepper turns the ball over too often to be a stud NFL QB. the difference between cpep in real life and cpep in fantasy football is almost as wide as aaron brooks real life vs. fantasy football

add to this a new owner, new head coach, his recent injury, a high profile off-field incident, and grumblings surrounding his maryjane use and crew...that doesn't all add up to untouchable, franchise QB to me (with that being said i do not believe he'll be traded, but i wouldn't be shocked either)
Everyone wants to tear CPep apart for the way he played, but his worst games all came against playoff teams - Bucs, @Bengals and @Bears. He was 2-1 in the other games, including 6 TD's to 2 INT's. I'm not going to defend how poorly he played in those three games, but saying he's no longer a franchise QB because of a bad start to the season is ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:
culpepper turns the ball over too often to be a stud NFL QB. the difference between cpep in real life and cpep in fantasy football is almost as wide as aaron brooks real life vs. fantasy football

add to this a new owner, new head coach, his recent injury, a high profile off-field incident, and grumblings surrounding his maryjane use and crew...that doesn't all add up to untouchable, franchise QB to me (with that being said i do not believe he'll be traded, but i wouldn't be shocked either)
135 TD's to 86 INT's in his career, including last year's disaster, is too much? 2002 and last year were the only times he threw more INT's than TD's. Favre has done it 3 times.

135 TD's to 86 INT's in his career, including last year's disaster, is too much? 2002 and last year were the only times he threw more INT's than TD's. Favre has done it 3 times.
Farve doesn't fumble 7 times a game.

Did Brad Johnson seriously request a trade ?If so, what's different than last season ? He came in to Minnesota to backup a franchise QB that had stayed healthy in the past.Now, because he didn't fall on his face, Johnson may have requested a trade ?If true, what was the response from Minnesota management ? Laughter ?

Did Brad Johnson seriously request a trade ?

If so, what's different than last season ? He came in to Minnesota to backup a franchise QB that had stayed healthy in the past.

Now, because he didn't fall on his face, Johnson may have requested a trade ?

If true, what was the response from Minnesota management ? Laughter ?
Big time laughter!

Got a link to these pitiful allegations of yours? I live in Minnesota, have been fairly close to some people who are connected with the Vikings, and have NEVER heard on word about Culpepper and drugs, NEVER. Nor does he have a posse, a crew, a gang, whatever you want to call it, he's considered a great team guy and a family man.Please post the links to this crap that your spewing, i'd really love to get the "real" story on the guy... :rolleyes:

I love these articles. Even the writer himself acknowledges their is no merit to the story.

DAUNTE DONE IN MINNY?

If I was Baltimore I would be very interested in C-pep. The Ravens have some nice weapons on offense -- they just need someone better than Boller.

I live in Minnesota...
Hey Preacher (and anyone else in Minnesota), a few of us are discussing a MN FBG fantasy league in the Dating Game forum. Stop by if you're interested (I have a link to the thread in my sig).

He AVERAGES 2.2 fumbles a game. That's just awful.

:confused: http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/133263

81 games, 81 fumbles, 33 lost fumbles

:confused: http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/133263

81 games, 81 fumbles, 33 lost fumbles
How dare you throw Facts into the discussion ;)

:rolleyes: pro football talk, don't need to say much more.

Users who are viewing this thread