What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Was it cool for my one manager to gaslight me like this for requesting early hrs XMass Eve (1 Viewer)

Manager gas lighted me for asking for early hrs on holiday were they wrong

• Yes they shouldn't ask why anyway

Votes: 18 51.4%
  • No he's right

Votes: 18 51.4%
  • Need more info and context

Votes: 9 25.7%

• Total voters
I was pretty much on your side until this post. This one basically says "The schedule was set and I came in and imploded it at the last moment and they are being ##### for not immediately giving in to my demands." Sorry, but you come off sounding quite entitled and full of yourself with this one.

Not really.  Here's what happened. I originally took off tomorrow for family stuff as well as dinner for my brother. I was informed last Saturday that I won tix to the Eagles game so I changed my plans for Sunday. Schedule came out and they scheduled me to work till 8 on Tues night. NFL postponed the game till Tues night. My Manager ASD told my boss to take me off the schedule for Tues and I also told her that. She wanted me to work Sunday and just switch with someone. I told her well that's not possible because I did original take off Sunday before I won the tickets and I can do the family stuff. 

This isn't about me as much as I've bent over backwards numerious times to help my boss out of jams. But the minute I need a favor the world is ending and how dare I ask for an exception. I'm sorry but I've done numerious favors, worked others shifts in the past, has stayed for her etc. However when I ask for some time off it becomes a big deal. It's not my fault the company doesn't pay fair wages and people are gonna work for terrible wages. I feel like more and more I'm taken advantage of. They claim they have flexible scheduling but it's a one way street where we the workers NEED TO BE FLEXIABLE FOR THEM. tHe Minute we ask for some flexibility they act like we asked for the world. Sorry but respect is a 2 way street. It's earned not just given. This is the type of stuff where companies wonder why half their work force quits on them and they are oblivious of why. 

Within the past 5 months I've avg'd almost 10.5 Hrs days. Missed important family stuff and other stuff because of people out etc. Godforbid I ask for a little time off that I deserved. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty much, yeah, and this is another example of someone thinking the company needs him more than he needs them.  Most people are replaceable when it comes to their jobs, and many wrongly assume they are irreplaceable.  

Not really they pay sh** wages and people are now reluctant to work for terrible pay at jobs like retail and other jobs that pay minimum wage. Then you have managers who act like their lives are more important and you don't have a life. The companies claim there's a worker shortage. It's actually a shortage of good jobs WITH FAIR wages. If you can't pay your employees a living wage with benefits and still profit you aren't really a successful company. We have a wage and workers rights shortage not a labor shortage. People are finally realizing they don't need to accept poor paying jobs. Some companies are now paying hire wages to employees because of this. 

Also managers and people in power think they automatically should be respected. Respect is earned not given. If you can't respect your employees and just demand, demand, demand eventually they stop working for ya. Then the employer wonders why? Maybe have some respect for your employees and maybe some sympathy if a person can't come in. 

Not really.  Here's what happened. I originally took off tomorrow for family stuff as well as dinner for my brother. I was informed last Saturday that I won tix to the Eagles game so I changed my plans for Sunday. Schedule came out and they scheduled me to work till 8 on Tues night. NFL postponed the game till Tues night. My Manager ASD told my boss to take me off the schedule for Tues and I also told her that. She wanted me to work Sunday and just switch with someone. I told her well that's not possible because I did original take off Sunday before I won the tickets and I can do the family stuff. 
Well, that's not what you posted. I mean, you have to understand, I can only form a judgment based on what you posted. I'm not capable of calling your place of employment for the full background. The whole "My Manager ASD told my boss to take me off the schedule for Tues and I also told her that" thing is kind of a major missing factoid here.

Anyways, glad everything worked out for you. Enjoy the holidays and have fun at the game!

Not really they pay sh** wages and people are now reluctant to work for terrible pay at jobs like retail and other jobs that pay minimum wage. Then you have managers who act like their lives are more important and you don't have a life. The companies claim there's a worker shortage. It's actually a shortage of good jobs WITH FAIR wages. If you can't pay your employees a living wage with benefits and still profit you aren't really a successful company. We have a wage and workers rights shortage not a labor shortage. People are finally realizing they don't need to accept poor paying jobs. Some companies are now paying hire wages to employees because of this. 

Also managers and people in power think they automatically should be respected. Respect is earned not given. If you can't respect your employees and just demand, demand, demand eventually they stop working for ya. Then the employer wonders why? Maybe have some respect for your employees and maybe some sympathy if a person can't come in. 
I’ve seen both sides of this in the last 20 months..  The workers who have had the most power are the ones who have been there the least.  The ones who have been screwed are the ones who have been there the longest.   The ones who bounce around, probably are not staying because they are getting a fair wage either.   I hope this works out for you.

This isn't about me as much as I've bent over backwards numerious times to help my boss out of jams. But the minute I need a favor the world is ending and how dare I ask for an exception. I'm sorry but I've done numerious favors, worked others shifts in the past, has stayed for her etc. However when I ask for some time off it becomes a big deal. It's not my fault the company doesn't pay fair wages and people are gonna work for terrible wages. I feel like more and more I'm taken advantage of. They claim they have flexible scheduling but it's a one way street where we the workers NEED TO BE FLEXIABLE FOR THEM. tHe Minute we ask for some flexibility they act like we asked for the world. Sorry but respect is a 2 way street. It's earned not just given. This is the type of stuff where companies wonder why half their work force quits on them and they are oblivious of why. 

Within the past 5 months I've avg'd almost 10.5 Hrs days. Missed important family stuff and other stuff because of people out etc. Godforbid I ask for a little time off that I deserved. 
NEWSFLASH 

Most companies don't give a rip about the sacrifices you make to help them out. It's mostly forgotten once it's over unless you kiss their ###. Unfortunately morality is all but gone from corporate America and it's pretty sad. 

You should have no issues with finding a job right now with good benefits and health insurance. Jobs are everywhere and people don't want to work. 

In The Zone said:
NEWSFLASH 

Most companies don't give a rip about the sacrifices you make to help them out. It's mostly forgotten once it's over unless you kiss their ###. Unfortunately morality is all but gone from corporate America and it's pretty sad. 

You should have no issues with finding a job right now with good benefits and health insurance. Jobs are everywhere and people don't want to work. 

Good paying jobs aren't everywhere. It's not that people don't want to work it's that good fair wage jobs aren't out there and businesses want to try and push this back on the "people just don't want to work" instead of realizing no-one is applying to their places for the terrible wages they pay. The comment above bolded you are only helping the corporations spread a false narrative. We went up a bit on higher wage start but it's not as much as others and will still lose people. 

Good paying jobs aren't everywhere. It's not that people don't want to work it's that good fair wage jobs aren't out there and businesses want to try and push this back on the "people just don't want to work" instead of realizing no-one is applying to their places for the terrible wages they pay. The comment above bolded you are only helping the corporations spread a false narrative. We went up a bit on higher wage start but it's not as much as others and will still lose people. 
There are plenty of good paying jobs in my region. Nothing false about it. 

People don't want to work.  People are inherently lazy to a degree and would much rather do stuff they want to do instead of work.  Currently the big excuse is "Fair Wages" or "Living Wages" as the excuse to not work especially when they can collect unemployment or some other benefit.  If you don't like your job you can find another one fairly easily.  That takes risk though and many people are willing to do that.  The familiar is easy and comfortable and it's easier to complain and stay put then jump into the deep end and make a change if they are unhappy.  

Not all jobs need to be "living wages".  There are jobs that aren't meant to support a family and should be for high school aged kids to get experience working.  

Maybe in your region but you have to understand not every region is the same either. What might be great in one area might not be in others. I have a cousin who lived in NYC NYC who has a job that pays similar here as there but because of how expensive living is there that job isn't as good paying in NYC as it is here. Which is why some of her colleagues have either transferred down here or quite and found other jobs entirely that pay better in the field 

Not all jobs need to be "living wages".  There are jobs that aren't meant to support a family and should be for high school aged kids to get experience working.  

When we talk about living wages you do understand inflation has happened By estimates of inflation minimum wage in most parts of the country should be close to $22 Per hour. YES I KNOW THAT LOOKS SCARY TO YOU AND CORPORATIONS. However guess what? You can fight for better wages at your job too. If Mimimum wage is  increased from inflation GUESS WHAT? Your jobs pay should've increased too. It's a win win situation for everyone working in non management ownership. That's the argument being made now. Businesses didn't go evenly with inflation in fact we are well behind on what a fair wage for Americans are. What the 8-5 person doesn't understand is that kid getting $22 HR means you should've been increased in your pay at work. However your bosses and corporations what to feed you this baloney propaganda in hopes you become a good little soldier and solid sheep where you don't realize "hey if their pay increased do to inflation for minimum wage, isn't it natural my job wages should be increased to fit minimum wage" We're all essentially in the same boat but corporate CEOs and politicians want to pit the working class against each other for this very reason. 

America hasn't kept pace with inflation and minimum wage since the late 1960s. I know I know the boomers and bootlickers of corporations are all upset about $15 minimum wage but they're lucky thats all people are fighting for. You can't run a successful business if you can't pay fair wages and benefits Benefits like health insurance are a right to live. If you can't do that for your employees, pay fair wages to make a profit you aren't a successful business. You are just a wage thief paying people to work like slaves.

The problem isn't people don't want to work and are lazy, its the fact America never kept pace with minimum wage and inflation. But neither party wants people to know that. 

What should Minimum wage be really with inflation 

Americans also have this weird infatuation of working more means better employee. When we talk workers rights look at European working lifestyle compared to Americans. Europeans have more worker rights (so big corp can't screw them over as easy), more time off, women have actual paternity leave where in America I've heard horror stories of pregnant women having to work till the day before their due date and back in the office in a month, less hrs and better pay, etc. It's also been noted Europeans avg almost an entire month of actual vacation time they are able to take all of it. Some Americans don't even get half that nor take all of it and most places don't let you accumulate to the next year. They also get lunch breaks, benefits especially health are mandatory to be paid as well as any OT they work. Europeans are generally happier, less stressed and way more productive at their jobs than Americans. Also when one part of the corporations tries to screw part of the working class the whole working class gets together to fight for that part. Here in America its Your in your union and well its fend for yourself. 

People don't want to work.  People are inherently lazy to a degree and would much rather do stuff they want to do instead of work.  Currently the big excuse is "Fair Wages" or "Living Wages" as the excuse to not work especially when they can collect unemployment or some other benefit.  If you don't like your job you can find another one fairly easily.  That takes risk though and many people are willing to do that.  The familiar is easy and comfortable and it's easier to complain and stay put then jump into the deep end and make a change if they are unhappy.  

Well said.  My boss has said that getting good people even into the interview has been difficult in the last two years (and where I work pays well).  We have one current opening and said that he received 40 resumes and only one of them was worth a damn and warranted bringing them for an interview.  The problem nowadays is not just that people do not want to work, but people want to make big bucks without having gotten the experience and/or education to justify the salary they want.  Sometimes, you have to work your way up.  I changed jobs seven years ago and took a pay cut in doing so, but it was something I felt I had to do.  Seven years later, I have been promoted several times and they have more than doubled what was my salary was when I started.  It is not like that everywhere, I get it, but sometimes you have to put your head down and do your best, and good things can happen. 

You're lucky I haven't left because I haven't found a better job with similar health benefits I need yet or I'd have been long gone already. 
No offense but you have a horrible attitude.   

Seemingly everyone is hiring nowadays and offering bonus & full health care.   My advice is to go out and find another job:  you will be doing both you and your current employer a favor.

No offense but you have a horrible attitude.   

Seemingly everyone is hiring nowadays and offering bonus & full health care.   My advice is to go out and find another job:  you will be doing both you and your current employer a favor.
Some people like to blame everyone else for the fact they’re stuck in a low paying job. You’re worth what people are willing to pay you.

So if I'm doing this right my 3.50 would be = 8.89 today?  So a $12 minimum wage is actually higher than that.

https://www.in2013dollars.com/us/inflation/1986?amount=1

I will say I did not realize MW is state by state and some of the are still at 7.25 - which is definitely way too low

BTW: The article the OP posted about minimum wage is actually this "This is What Minimum Wage Would Be If It Kept Pace with Productivity" it doesn't actually claim thats what it should be

Last edited by a moderator:
When we talk about living wages you do understand inflation has happened By estimates of inflation minimum wage in most parts of the country should be close to $22 Per hour. YES I KNOW THAT LOOKS SCARY TO YOU AND CORPORATIONS. However guess what? You can fight for better wages at your job too. If Mimimum wage is  increased from inflation GUESS WHAT? Your jobs pay should've increased too. It's a win win situation for everyone working in non management ownership. That's the argument being made now. Businesses didn't go evenly with inflation in fact we are well behind on what a fair wage for Americans are. What the 8-5 person doesn't understand is that kid getting $22 HR means you should've been increased in your pay at work. However your bosses and corporations what to feed you this baloney propaganda in hopes you become a good little soldier and solid sheep where you don't realize "hey if their pay increased do to inflation for minimum wage, isn't it natural my job wages should be increased to fit minimum wage" We're all essentially in the same boat but corporate CEOs and politicians want to pit the working class against each other for this very reason. 

America hasn't kept pace with inflation and minimum wage since the late 1960s. I know I know the boomers and bootlickers of corporations are all upset about $15 minimum wage but they're lucky thats all people are fighting for. You can't run a successful business if you can't pay fair wages and benefits Benefits like health insurance are a right to live. If you can't do that for your employees, pay fair wages to make a profit you aren't a successful business. You are just a wage thief paying people to work like slaves.

The problem isn't people don't want to work and are lazy, its the fact America never kept pace with minimum wage and inflation. But neither party wants people to know that. 

What should Minimum wage be really with inflation 

Americans also have this weird infatuation of working more means better employee. When we talk workers rights look at European working lifestyle compared to Americans. Europeans have more worker rights (so big corp can't screw them over as easy), more time off, women have actual paternity leave where in America I've heard horror stories of pregnant women having to work till the day before their due date and back in the office in a month, less hrs and better pay, etc. It's also been noted Europeans avg almost an entire month of actual vacation time they are able to take all of it. Some Americans don't even get half that nor take all of it and most places don't let you accumulate to the next year. They also get lunch breaks, benefits especially health are mandatory to be paid as well as any OT they work. Europeans are generally happier, less stressed and way more productive at their jobs than Americans. Also when one part of the corporations tries to screw part of the working class the whole working class gets together to fight for that part. Here in America its Your in your union and well its fend for yourself. 
You don't seem to understand my point.  Minimum wage should not be $22/hr and even if it was it wouldn't mean other wages should go up in the same ratio (and as @belljrpointed out the article doesn't say it should be $22/hr).  There is a difference between "Minimum" wage and "Living" wage.  There are also some jobs that shouldn't be "Living" wage jobs while they should be "Minimum" wage jobs. 

Minimum wage jobs should be jobs that take no experience and that anybody can do.  It is meant to be an introduction to the working world.  It is meant for high schoolers with absolutely no experience and no life skills to start to learn those things.  People supporting families should have life experience, education, or a special skill that would get them to "Living" wage jobs.  There is a difference.  

Most people work because they have to......not because they want to.  The narrative has also swung so far that people are using the wage argument as a reason why they don't work.  For the most part they don't work because they can get some benefit paying them enough that they can get by without working.  That is a problem and leads to a society that will eventually fail.  If you don't have to be productive but can live off the work of people being productive when you are capable of working things will get terrible quickly.  We are heading in that direction.  

Bottom line is if you want to make more money figure out a skill, knowledge, or something that people will pay for.  If all you bring to the table is something that thousands of other people can do you won't make what you think you are worth..........and that is fine.  Better yourself if you don't like your position.  If you don't like your job or think you are undervalued then go promote yourself to earn what you believe you are worth.  Just be ready to face some reality as not everyone may see you as you see yourself.  You need to be honest with yourself (and I am not meaning the OP specifically - it's a general "you") and really evaluate what you bring to the table and then proceed from there.  If what you bring to the table doesn't get you what you want then find a way to improve what you bring to the table and get to where you want to be.  

Good paying jobs aren't everywhere. 
You sure you've been looking? My state borders yours and it's basically $15/hour to start for everything from McDonald's to Walmart greeter (Stretching it with that one. 😛) My best friend's 17 year old son, who is also on the spectrum btw, was working almost the same job as you, for Foodtown (NJ based super market chain.) He was killing it the past year making like $20/hr then got bumped to $24/hr for working the evening shift til closing, kid is still in high school. I made $3.35/hr in high school, yes I'm old but what he's making has to be 3x in today's value higher then what I was making at 17.

Well said.  My boss has said that getting good people even into the interview has been difficult in the last two years (and where I work pays well).  We have one current opening and said that he received 40 resumes and only one of them was worth a damn and warranted bringing them for an interview.  The problem nowadays is not just that people do not want to work, but people want to make big bucks without having gotten the experience and/or education to justify the salary they want.  Sometimes, you have to work your way up.  I changed jobs seven years ago and took a pay cut in doing so, but it was something I felt I had to do.  Seven years later, I have been promoted several times and they have more than doubled what was my salary was when I started.  It is not like that everywhere, I get it, but sometimes you have to put your head down and do your best, and good things can happen. 

You guys need to remember I work a completely different industry then many of you. This isn't as an offense or an attack but I think a lot of people especially who never worked the service industry understand it. Our line of work doesn't pay as well. You aren't going to get someone jump up to a do a job pushing carts and having customers yell at you (Like you're the reason for the problem) to work for minimum wage or just above it. Plus it also doesn't help when many bosses have zero care for employees. Technically the employer under the worker rights in my job aren't even allowed to ask why we need X day off or vacation time but do it constantly where most employees don't realize management is breaking contract. I had some vacation time left before May and I took a good solid 5 days off Thurs-Mon just as a mental health break to recharge and all. Thank God I did because after that because outside of the Euro Matches for Italy I took off I had maybe 1 other day off till Sept which was for my mom's birthday. 

My Generation also isn't accepting just good enough for wages. Maybe the generations before still working are ok with not getting the wages they deserve but we aren't going to let that happen to us. If the generations before this understood how much money their company has been stealing from them underpaying them for yrs we could all turn the whole job industry upside and for the better. Those cheap owners of companies underpaying people will lose their employees to jobs that pay better. 

So if I'm doing this right my 3.50 would be = 8.89 today?  So a $12 minimum wage is actually higher than that.

https://www.in2013dollars.com/us/inflation/1986?amount=1

I will say I did not realize MW is state by state and some of the are still at 7.25 - which is definitely way too low

BTW: The article the OP posted about minimum wage is actually this "This is What Minimum Wage Would Be If It Kept Pace with Productivity" it doesn't actually claim thats what it should be

It does state Minimum wage didn't keep pace with inflation though either 

Minimum wage jobs should be jobs that take no experience and that anybody can do.  It is meant to be an introduction to the working world.  It is meant for high schoolers with absolutely no experience and no life skills to start to learn those things.  People supporting families should have life experience, education, or a special skill that would get them to "Living" wage jobs.  There is a difference.  

well you can blame our education system for this which is why many people are going into these industries. What about adults who can't work anywhere else besides these jobs? You're doing a great job protecting the big corporations here btw with this. Here's a article that shows why your claim of this is completely false. You also might want to let these companies know that these jobs are for students and maybe change their hours to fit when students aren't in school. So the Grocery store is only open from what 3:3-10, Your chick fill-a.McDonalds/in and out etc are maybe 5-10? We should probably change the hrs then and a lot of people in my industry are adults. Kids barely make up for most of the labor. 

People need to stop saying Minimum wage is meant for just students

Misconceptions about minimum wage jobs

Most people work because they have to......not because they want to.  The narrative has also swung so far that people are using the wage argument as a reason why they don't work.  For the most part they don't work because they can get some benefit paying them enough that they can get by without working.  That is a problem and leads to a society that will eventually fail.  If you don't have to be productive but can live off the work of people being productive when you are capable of working things will get terrible quickly.  We are heading in that direction.  

So many many buzzwords that the Big corp gives here I don't know where to start. I will agree on benefits of not working are higher and that's the issue. They shouldn't be higher for unemployed then employed. it just shows the huge wage gap in the industry. You basically proved in that argument why we need higher wages. Unemployment was never meant to be more then what you made. I had a friend who essentially used the pandemic as an excuse not to work but basically it was because he made more in unemployment. However a lot of those benefits stopped for him and he had to go find work eventually. His problem is he always takes jobs he's not good at. Either way you are essentially blaming the person who's unemployed rather then the people who should be paying more the companies. Thats no different then the politicians trying to get people to blame illegals for stealing their jobs when its the corporations themselves shipping them overseas because they spend less on labor and the government gives them a tax break. Congrats you are still protecting and excusing Big Corporations behavior here willingly and probably not even realizing you are doing so. 

Bottom line is if you want to make more money figure out a skill, knowledge, or something that people will pay for.  If all you bring to the table is something that thousands of other people can do you won't make what you think you are worth..........and that is fine.  Better yourself if you don't like your position.  If you don't like your job or think you are undervalued then go promote yourself to earn what you believe you are worth.  Just be ready to face some reality as not everyone may see you as you see yourself.  You need to be honest with yourself (and I am not meaning the OP specifically - it's a general "you") and really evaluate what you bring to the table and then proceed from there.  If what you bring to the table doesn't get you what you want then find a way to improve what you bring to the table and get to where you want to be.  

I think thats what people are doing now. But the industries are refusing to pay for that work They still think they can get away with paying lower wages. My point in general is this. I'm only using you since you used most of this (this isn't a personal attack just easier for me to explain this). You aren't realizing you should be getting paid more yourself. The Big Corporations are stealing from everyone. You and everyone else is getting underpaid just like us in the service industries or those in minimum wage jobs. The Corporations and politicians want the higher class crowd divided from the smaller class (My people right now) and dived us because they don't want the higher class workers realizing "hey these lower cats make a good point and we deserve more too lets fight with them for higher wages." Why is that a problem for the Big Corporations? More of us then them and we have the power if we worked together t shut the entire economy down with effort and a plan. The Government and their lobbyist know this. 

It's also why we only have a 2 party political system In the background both sides are laughing at all of us fighting amongst ourselves when we should be fighting against the politicians and their corporate lobbyist donors they vote in favor for. So again you and others are feeding right into their hands and most are doing it without realize it. I've had a quite a few people I know mutual friends etc older crowd I've explained all of this too. Those with an open mindset I've even changed their opinions. 2 quit high ranking jobs with great pay because they felt under appreciated and when they asked for better pay or higher recognition their bosses basically told them up yours. So they quit and guess what? The one company 2 yrs later is still looking for a replacement. These places brainwash the employees with propaganda to make them fear from rising up against them etc. It's to protect their company. If people realized they could cause some serious impact working together these corporations would be in trouble. 

You sure you've been looking? My state borders yours and it's basically $15/hour to start for everything from McDonald's to Walmart greeter (Stretching it with that one. 😛) My best friend's 17 year old son, who is also on the spectrum btw, was working almost the same job as you, for Foodtown (NJ based super market chain.) He was killing it the past year making like $20/hr then got bumped to $24/hr for working the evening shift til closing, kid is still in high school. I made $3.35/hr in high school, yes I'm old but what he's making has to be 3x in today's value higher then what I was making at 17.

His company and your state have different wage rules than yours. Also completely different unions. I'm never working for a Walmart btw. I had former coworkers go work for them because of better pay and left. One left because his manager was an out and out racist that Corporate wouldn't do anything about despite numerouscomplaints, Another left because of the insane requirements he was suppose to do being understaffed and was told if he didn't work X holiday he had told them when he started he couldn't work as he goes to see his family in another state he'd be fired. Others left because Walmart was giving them great hrs to start and $15 per hour but then after 6 months started to give them only 20hrs a week. Giant is doing that too where my Produce Managers mother once worked and has had friends she keeps in touch there told her. 

Many of these jobs in my area paying more will give you a ton of hours but after being there for X amount of time drop you down to the bear minimum they can give you. That way they are hoping you quit before they raise you again to hire cheep labor. 

I'm glad he's doing well but they have different wages then we do. We don't have a pay rise for working evenings basically everyone who's considered a clerk makes anywhere from $11.20 to $19 and those who make 19 have been there for over 30 yrs. They lost OT for Saturday nights years ago. I and others got Grandfathered in for Time and a Half for Sunday pay. They got rid of that and if you work 6 days now you get OT for the 6th day ( get that too). However they are really sneaky with this one and will only schedule people for 5 days. They will literally sacrifice one day of being short labor just so they don't have to pay everyone 6 day OT. We also lost our pandemic pay which we only got from May till Jun which is only $2 more (Should've been more then that as frontline workers). 

Unfortunately like @belljr said different states have different MW and rules on wages. Its a state by state thing. One of the good things about NJ is they do pay higher wages. My issue in my company is they don't hire Full time unless a full timer leaves. I put in for a produce full time position at my store but my Store Director took it off because the guy he was replacing came back from medical leave. He was pretty honest with me about the whole thing though. Since I also worked for SuperFresh which went under and ACME bought it we SF employees kept our seniority amongst ourselves at our store but say someone from an ACME transferred to our store say to produce they'd have more time then any of us. If I were to apply for FT at a different location I'd be starting on the lower end still. So My goal was to at least get FT at my store not worry about Seniority till later. Also not having a license makes it a lot tougher. 

My natural job these days makes the most sense of finding a job I can work remotely from Home. But if I have to go to the building say for a meeting I want something convientiant and I can get too and makes sense. I'm pretty good with spread sheets and stuff like that but finding work in those fields that pay me what I make now is few and far. Those that pay similar just aren't worth leaving. My benefits also are a lot better then many who work 9-5 jobs as well. I also go through spurts of every few months of wanting to quit where I am then I'm more like I'm better off here anyway right now. 

I think you need to go job hunting to see what's out there
Outside of sports which I can't get into as many of these guys know people who know people hiring. I know people but not those kinds of people who can get me maybe a low end job somewhere to work my way up. 

Other interests are Music and History. 

You need to drop the "no one understands because its retail"  Do you think everyone in this thread graduated high school and then BOOM made six figures at corporate job

Djax what have you done to better your career situation?  Have you looked into management training? Have you looked into a tuition reimbursement program offered through your employer?  Our grocery stores have programs affiliated with local juco... have you looked into trades?   Have you looked into asking for more hours?  a second job?

my dad was a mechanic (until he went to school for water certs) and my mom was on disability.  Many people have worked their asses to get where they were and obviously some people have/had more opportunities because of their parents.   But you are never going to get ahead blaming everyone else.

here is a list of jobs I've worked in various points of my life (i had to work to pay for college)

Parks and Recs department mowing grass
Streets and Roads department summer 
Landscaping
Waiter
Produce Junction
Pizza Delivery
Auto Parts Counter
Athletic Field Maintenance
My current career - software developer.

For the first 3 years of my "career" I worked weekends mowing ####### grass and laying sod.

tl;dr version - Not many people want to actually work

You need to drop the "no one understands because its retail"  Do you think everyone in this thread graduated high school and then BOOM made six figures at corporate job
Exactly. I worked in the service industry (bartender) for a decade, much longer than I should’ve, so I get how it works, and I certainly don’t to be lectured on how it works by someone else in this thread who thinks he “deserves” a high paying job based on nothing. As was said in this thread, you are worth what someone is willing to pay you. 

Just because you think you should be paid more doesn't mean it should happen.  As pointed out many of us in this thread know exactly the type of industry you are in and have worked in it previously.  I worked at Taco Bell all through high school, then a full service gas station.  Working with the public and being treated poorly.  It's actually why I thi k everyone should have to work in the fast food industry at some point to have a betternunderstanding of how to treat people.  If many people experienced the other side they would understand how badly they treat service folks and things would get better.

Regardless saying I don't understand corporations and am brainwashed is so far off its laughable.  I worked my ### off to better my life and work prospects.  I also have managed people and hired/fired people.  It's easy to point out the people that have a goal and work ethic to get what they want and to point out the lazy people that think they are owed more.  Bottom line is you are not owed anything from anyone.  Every other word out of your mouth is that you deserve more pay, more benefits, more respect, more......    you aren't owed any of this.  

Sounds to me you are in a terrible job based on your descriptions of how you are treated.  If that is the case move on and stop complaining.  Just like companies don't owe you anything .... you don't owe them anything either.  If you don't like the way you are treated....leave.  It really is as simple as that.

Users who are viewing this thread