What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My GF and I are being targeted at work and my store manager is telling us to stop drama despite being the ones bullied (1 Viewer)

DJackson10

Footballguy
As some of you know I broke my elbow riding my bike a few months ago. I went back to work in Dec and it’s been awful. While hurt I was still having issues with people at work namely management for their lack of effort

Long story here sorry for any errors

So we both work produce in the super market and she is in cut fruit I work the floor. We have two toxic co workers I’ll refer to cut fruit lady as J 50s and my coworker on floor B 61 yrs of age. B is a drug addict coke and meth and barely does any work. J has been working cut fruit since a shoulder injury 15 yrs ago but has become a huge bully. My gf was being picked on going home crying for months before I found out. I heard my name was mentioned by j for my GF’s lack of production despite the fact J comes in stealing time 1 hr early or stays an hr late without approval as well as the fact she barely does any work. She is running off talking to coworkers etc. we asked management to do something about this (produce manager who’s union shop steward did nothing) store management gave everyone a slap on the wrist.

B the coke head makes rude comments racial and homophobic but never written up constantly even on the floor. Anyway thursday B called my GF and B*tch and C*nt another coworker saw the incident my assistant produce manager E and my girlfriend ran almost right into a cutting knife b had on the floor same day. This happened before I got in was informed by E on the issue, I then confirmed later with her. Two days later B goes into our prep room and starts flipping off my girlfriend, tells her to work harder as J does more work and starts sh*t talking me. J talks sh*t about my GF to b constantly. Back up manager E told him to f off and leave. He didn’t tell produce manager as he does nothing.

I was brought into the office yesterday by my store manager, my bookkeeper and my produce manager /shop steward. I had mentioned to another coworker who saw me upset what happened she immediately told an assistant manager and Front end manager who told my store Manager. Told ASm the story said I was right to go to them. My metting yesterday became intimidation for me (staring drama) threats of transferring me if I keep it up and basically nit picking things I do wrong. Said they can’t do anything if my GF doesn’t say anything and stay out of it unless I heard something. I was out 3 months do to a broken elbow and since coming back management at least my department and store manager have treated me very differently in a bad way.

My GF went to management after and they defended the others involved as my store manager and book keeper are friends with my Produce manager and both toxic employees. My produce manager is also 1 strike away from termination himself for past issues

Other then the union and going to HR filing an incident report what else should I do? I’m also autistic and my GF has a speech issue. I feel they are possible using our disabilities to try and bully us.

The drama is always the same. I don’t mean to be harsh in saying this but often when drama constantly surrounds us the common denominator in each situation is obvious. It’s tough for most to do but helpful to take a look at the situations with an outside perspective. From an outside perspective it sounds like you stir up a lot of drama, know everything about everyone else’s situation and are in managements office over every slight. Sounds exhausting for your manager.

Last edited:
Have to agree. The drama is always the same. I don’t mean to be harsh in saying this but often when drama constantly surrounds us the common denominator in each situation is obvious. It’s tough for most to do but helpful to take a look at the situations with an outside perspective. From an outside perspective it sounds like you stir up a lot of drama, know everything about everyone else’s situation and are in managements office over every slight. Sounds exhausting for your manager.
Nah it’s more so management doesn’t do anything about situations. Like I posted he’s buddies with my department manager and both employees involved. He hates confrontation but has no issue protecting people he’s friends with.

The incident should’ve been dealt with immediately last time and wasn’t. Now **** hit the fan even worse. Said employee making comments has been told numerious times about his behavior plus he shows up all coked up most days and management doesn’t do ****

Seems like you’re not getting the support from management that you want/need and that it’s a pretty toxic environment for you both.

Is this a company you want to stay with long term (like for their benefits or future career options)? If so, do they have other locations you could get transferred to? If you go that route, I’d play it as needing a change of scenery rather than pointing fingers at everything currently going on with your situation.

If this isn’t necessarily a company you see as a place for you long term, it seems like a great time to find other opportunities elsewhere. Lots of places are looking to hire, and you shouldn’t feel like you need to be stuck in a bad situation that doesn’t sound like it will change for the better for you. It’s easy to get bogged down in a bad work situation, especially if you’ve been there for a while. Until you start looking at other outside options, you won’t realize the crap you’re putting up with a lot of the time.

You have the power to change your situation here (sorry if that sounds like it’s a self help book chapter). Workers have a lot of leverage and options in the current economy.

I feel like I have worked for very large high tech firms that have less layers of management than this grocery store.

Aside from that, I won't repeat the advice given to you in the many other similar threads you have started.

I will advise though that if you are experiencing issues with racial/homophobic hate talk in your work space, weak management tends to be useless. If you are bothered or concerned about this, go directly to HR, they are better educated and trained (especially in today's world) to handle those situations.

Seems like you’re not getting the support from management that you want/need and that it’s a pretty toxic environment for you both.

Is this a company you want to stay with long term (like for their benefits or future career options)? If so, do they have other locations you could get transferred to? If you go that route, I’d play it as needing a change of scenery rather than pointing fingers at everything currently going on with your situation.

If this isn’t necessarily a company you see as a place for you long term, it seems like a great time to find other opportunities elsewhere. Lots of places are looking to hire, and you shouldn’t feel like you need to be stuck in a bad situation that doesn’t sound like it will change for the better for you. It’s easy to get bogged down in a bad work situation, especially if you’ve been there for a while. Until you start looking at other outside options, you won’t realize the crap you’re putting up with a lot of the time.

You have the power to change your situation here (sorry if that sounds like it’s a self help book chapter). Workers have a lot of leverage and options in the current economy.
I’m right now In the process of having help from the state looking for a new job. I need to keep this for benifits right now. You are exactly right I have zero support from my management. There was another incident for a coworker in meat different union and his department manager and their shop stewarded got it handled in the day. My shop steward who is also my department manager doesn’t do anything and you see where conflict of interest lays

As some of you know I broke my elbow riding my bike a few months ago. I went back to work in Dec and it’s been awful. While hurt I was still having issues with people at work namely management for their lack of effort

So we both work produce in the super market and she is in cut fruit I work the floor. We have two toxic co workers I’ll refer to cut fruit lady as J 50s and my coworker on floor B 61 yrs of age. B is a drug addict coke and meth and barely does any work. J has been working cut fruit since a shoulder injury 15 yrs ago but has become a huge bully. My gf was being picked on going home crying for months before I found out. I heard my name was mentioned by j for my GF’s lack of production despite the fact J comes in stealing time 1 hr early or stays an hr late without approval as well as the fact she barely does any work. She is running off talking to coworkers etc. we asked management to do something about this (produce manager who’s union shop steward did nothing) store management gave everyone a slap on the wrist.

B the coke head makes rude comments racial and homophobic but never written up constantly even on the floor. Anyway thursday B called my GF and B*tch and C*nt another coworker saw the incident my assistant produce manager E and my girlfriend ran almost right into a cutting knife b had on the floor same day. This happened before I got in was informed by E on the issue, I then confirmed later with her. Two days later B goes into our prep room and starts flipping off my girlfriend, tells her to work harder as J does more work and starts sh*t talking me. J talks sh*t about my GF to b constantly. Back up manager E told him to f off and leave. He didn’t tell produce manager as he does nothing.

I was brought into the office yesterday by my store manager, my bookkeeper and my produce manager /shop steward. I had mentioned to another coworker who saw me upset what happened she immediately told an assistant manager and Front end manager who told my store Manager. Told ASm the story said I was right to go to them. My metting yesterday became intimidation for me (staring drama) threats of transferring me if I keep it up and basically nit picking things I do wrong. Said they can’t do anything if my GF doesn’t say anything and stay out of it unless I heard something. I was out 3 months do to a broken elbow and since coming back management at least my department and store manager have treated me very differently in a bad way.

My GF went to management after and they defended the others involved as my store manager and book keeper are friends with my Produce manager and both toxic employees. My produce manager is also 1 strike away from termination himself for past issues

Other then the union and going to HR filing an incident report what else should I do? I’m also autistic and my GF has a speech issue. I feel they are possible using our disabilities to try and bully us.
Is it any of your business if this person comes in early or leaves late. If management had an issue, they would let the employee know. This sounds exactly like the thing that you say management was doing to you?

I feel like I have worked for very large high tech firms that have less layers of management than this grocery store.

Aside from that, I won't repeat the advice given to you in the many other similar threads you have started.

I will advise though that if you are experiencing issues with racial/homophobic hate talk in your work space, weak management tends to be useless. If you are bothered or concerned about this, go directly to HR, they are better educated and trained (especially in today's world) to handle those situations.
My union rep told me to call hr as it was more of a situation for them to handle but said at the sametime if they can’t find proof I could face repercussions from management

Is it any of your business if this person comes in early or leaves late. If management had an issue, they would let the employee know. This sounds exactly like the thing that you say management was doing to you?

Actually it is because they cut hours based on what is availble so they are stealing hours from the rest of us. So yes it’s my business because it effects my pay

I’m right now In the process of having help from the state looking for a new job. I need to keep this for benifits right now. You are exactly right I have zero support from my management. There was another incident for a coworker in meat different union and his department manager and their shop stewarded got it handled in the day. My shop steward who is also my department manager doesn’t do anything and you see where conflict of interest lays

Any chance you can transfer to the meat department?

The steaks are much higher there and there is a lot of cutting (remarks) not a good spot for the OP.

I must lead a sheltered life....I don't know one 61 year old coke and meth head.

Totally different union I would but they already have enough help. They got a guy who works over there also autistic and I’d rather not cut into his hours. I’d lose my seniority plus vacations I built up over 20 yrs now it’s not worth it if I’m hoping to leave this year

I should’ve taken a seafood position when asked by the former lead over there but he transferred to another store before anything happened

Last edited:

The steaks are much higher there and there is a lot of cutting (remarks) not a good spot for the OP.

I must lead a sheltered life....I don't know one 61 year old coke and meth head.
I’ve honestly never met a guy like this. His only friends are his friends because he does drugs. Divorced with 2 kids wife dead from OD about 15 yrs ago or so. Daughter doesn’t want him around at all near her 2 kids. Lives with brother who works at a competitor supermarket and the two do drugs and try to run scams.

Best way to discribe this guy is if you ever seen shameless he’s Frank Gallagher while holding onto a job. He’s considered comic relief to many there. Doesn’t realize most people laugh at him not with him

The best solution is for the store to have a no-relationship policy for this reason. It doesn’t matter whose fault it is, people take sides in the department and management can’t babysit you and your GF. I’m not saying it’s you or your GF’s fault, but one will always defend the other no matter what. The other workers see that, now it’s your two voices vs their singular voice. It’s even worse when there is a breakup.

Bottom line, the manager should reassign you or the GF to another dept. it will never get better for either of you in produce.

Don't get into health care, unless you want to meet plenty of them. I recently took care of a gentleman farmer, semi-retired who decided he wanted to start doing meth at age 68. Just boggled my mind, that at 68 you make life decisions like starting meth. It is indeed a strange and wonderful world.

The drama is always the same. I don’t mean to be harsh in saying this but often when drama constantly surrounds us the common denominator in each situation is obvious. It’s tough for most to do but helpful to take a look at the situations with an outside perspective. From an outside perspective it sounds like you stir up a lot of drama, know everything about everyone else’s situation and are in managements office over every slight. Sounds exhausting for your manager.
This. We were about due for another one of these threads.

DJackson10 doesn't seem like a bad dude at all, but the drama just seems to follow him for a reason.

DJackson10 doesn't seem like a bad dude at all, but the drama just seems to follow him for a reason.
It's no Arizona Ron Friday thread....

You guys need to proactively find new jobs. It’s become abundantly clear that you and your employer have an adversarial relationship and time is not going to heal this. It’s an unhealthy situation for you, your girlfriend and your employer. Your employer is probably hesitant to terminate you guys because of your disabilities—and frankly—you sound like you want to become litigious. You can keep your jobs there and extend this toxic situation to no end, or you can take control of your happiness and move on. I don’t care how much they are paying you—it’s not enough for you to tolerate being endlessly miserable. Go somewhere else and be happy. Getting paid less and being happy is far better than a bigger paycheck and being absolutely miserable.

Last edited:

1st of all I commend you for posting all this
I'm not sure if we are talking Pennsylvania or near Philly, we don't have unions down here in South Florida.

-I opened the first Whole Foods in Miami in 2007/2008, I had watched the mortgage industry collapse and did not have a college degree at the time.
Decided to enroll at the Univ of Miami and work across the street. It was pretty good for a while until the 1st Manager moved on to another location and I was stuck having to deal with the Asst Mgr that was now the Store Manager and he hated that I had fixed hours, ran all of receiving and going to UM, he stuck one of his minions on me to keep close tabs to find anything they could to run me out of there. I decided to move on of my own accord before it got worse

If you want my advice, i would start looking for a new job. There is plenty of places and companies out there that would. be happy to hire you. At least send out your resume to a few places and see what happens.

Can you just leave and find a job at another supermarket? Have you started looking for openings?
Started looking I asked to transfer departments for the time being. A coworker in my current department told me if he sees or hears make coworker doing anything wrong he’s reporting it to management now no matter how petty it might look.

I’ve started sourcing to find some counseling in pa to help look elsewhere and working on my license. If I had that I’d ask to be transferred to another store where my former baby sitters husband is a manager and my former intern manager is store manager there. They’d take me in a heartbeat.

1st of all I commend you for posting all this
I'm not sure if we are talking Pennsylvania or near Philly, we don't have unions down here in South Florida.

-I opened the first Whole Foods in Miami in 2007/2008, I had watched the mortgage industry collapse and did not have a college degree at the time.
Decided to enroll at the Univ of Miami and work across the street. It was pretty good for a while until the 1st Manager moved on to another location and I was stuck having to deal with the Asst Mgr that was now the Store Manager and he hated that I had fixed hours, ran all of receiving and going to UM, he stuck one of his minions on me to keep close tabs to find anything they could to run me out of there. I decided to move on of my own accord before it got worse

If you want my advice, i would start looking for a new job. There is plenty of places and companies out there that would. be happy to hire you. At least send out your resume to a few places and see what happens.
Already looking and yes near Philly. I haven’t found anything yet. Can’t quit without something for health benefit reasons.

Can you just leave and find a job at another supermarket? Have you started looking for openings?
Started looking I asked to transfer departments for the time being. A coworker in my current department told me if he sees or hears make coworker doing anything wrong he’s reporting it to management now no matter how petty it might look.

I’ve started sourcing to find some counseling in pa to help look elsewhere and working on my license. If I had that I’d ask to be transferred to another store where my former baby sitters husband is a manager and my former intern manager is store manager there. They’d take me in a heartbeat.
I try to mind my own business and not care about the things you mentioned earlier. Management doesn’t like trouble makers or constant complaining, especially if it isn’t any of your business what another employee is doing. Now if they are harassing you personally, that is different.

The sad thing is I don’t go looking for it. This was something a coworker brought to my attention. Mths biggest issue here my management is too friendly with the actual drama starters. My one coworker said to me today it’s nice and peaceful in here because those two are off.

No drama, no one complaining about anyone. Just my manager, myself, another guy girls including gf in cut fruit plus another team member working of chocolate covered strawberries for V day. How it should be. Dude and her comeback tomorrow and every time I come in the second I do one of both are complaining about someone already. It gets tiresome

I try to mind my own business and not care about the things you mentioned earlier. Management doesn’t like trouble makers or constant complaining, especially if it isn’t any of your business what another employee is doing. Now if they are harassing you personally, that is different.

Both are making comments behind our backs, name calling, questioning work ethic etc.

Both are making comments behind our backs, name calling, questioning work ethic etc.
See them outside of work for a surprise encounter. That would stop it. Scare the hell out of them, but don’t let anyone hear it :) Then deny it if they complain.

My GF just told me tonight she is also looking elsewhere as well
Good. You need to both get out at any cost. It’s a toxic environment for you.
I’m still thinking of calling HR no matter what. I want them to know what’s going one. There’s still some coworkers I care about there and if I can make things easier for them then so be it. This isn’t behavior that should be tolerated. A friend of mine dad who is a judge said if they aren’t careful we could go legal action on them. Last night they had one of my managers coming over watching me and two other people in their departments who had reported stuff. There’s definate retaliation going on

Your management team sounds like it is lacking and could probably use some harassment training. I'd be looking for a new place of employment and until you land something, just put your head down, do your job, get paid and go home.

If you're thinking about getting litigious, I'd start documenting everything in writing. Every time you go to management, HR or union, make sure it's done in writing and put in your employee file.

DJ... How hard is it changing jobs? You have to find a union gig? Do they have spots, albeit limited spots, open for people on the spectrum?

Fwiw, medicare isn't the end of things, in terms of health coverage for people without jobs. It would be worth looking into for cost and coverage of your specific needs... If that's the only thing keeping you from leaving.

And I'd have your work situation settled before going to HR and dumping. It doesn't sound like this management is going to fix things either way, so even if you think you'd be helping your good coworkers, it might backfire for them the way it has for you.

Good luck!

@DJackson10 Anything keeping you in Philly besides bad football :D:D Your work environment sounds like an Eagles home game.

You could get a job around here in a day or two. Hope you find a place where you can be happier.

@DJackson10 Anything keeping you in Philly besides bad football :D:D Your work environment sounds like an Eagles home game.

You could get a job around here in a day or two. Hope you find a place where you can be happier.
I grew up a little north of Philly so I naturally had friend's dads who worked in these service union jobs. I also worked a summer maintenance job where, for a couple of weeks, I worked alongside union maintenance workers while we did a mass cleaning of a large factory.

Never in my life have I experienced a more miserable work environment . Additionally, my friend's dads who worked similar jobs just complained about them constantly. On the bright side, this experience motivated me more to do well in school because I could not imagine working a career in this environment. Nonetheless, due to this anecdotal experience, whereas I may otherwise think that our hero DJ is the problem his accounts are consistent with similar things I experienced.

Figured I’d give an update. I made moves with this work program met a counselor who now are reviewing my files to see if I qualify. She agreed with me getting out and said I had some good ideas for future work. She graduated from my HS as well but long before me so that’s good.

My mom was shopping 2 weeks ago and ran into my produce manager. Without me really asking sue chatted with my Produce manager. He definately BS’d her on a few things I tried explaining better to her on. The chat helped as my arm situation is more clear and seems willing to help and the awkwardness is gone. My store manager is still being a clown and the coworker is still saying a ton of inappropriate things while the other one is still doing her own thing. Most have stayed away from causing issues with me but that’s because we had the ceo come in yesterday which I was half tempted to go up to him, introduce myself and explain what kind of store is really fun here. But I didn’t.

For the most part keeping my head down despite seeing stuff but I know if I say anything I’m told I’m starting drama. I’ve gotten a bit more hrs do to the visits and going on vacation in 3 weeks time

I grew up a little north of Philly so I naturally had friend's dads who worked in these service union jobs. I also worked a summer maintenance job where, for a couple of weeks, I worked alongside union maintenance workers while we did a mass cleaning of a large factory.

Never in my life have I experienced a more miserable work environment . Additionally, my friend's dads who worked similar jobs just complained about them constantly. On the bright side, this experience motivated me more to do well in school because I could not imagine working a career in this environment. Nonetheless, due to this anecdotal experience, whereas I may otherwise think that our hero DJ is the problem his accounts are consistent with similar things I experienced.

Yeah people I don’t think realize how bad the service industry is with these jobs. On top of some terrible customers at times you got terrible coworkers and bosses. The funny thing is I know a few other managers I’m friendly with and if they were in charge of my store most of this would be nipped in the butt. The problem is my store manager hates confrontation and he’s got zero balls. Listens too much to the bookkeeper who thinks she runs the store

All I do is read your thread titles and you're wearing me out so I can't imagine how annoyed I would be if I was your supervisor.

Chill out and keep your personal business away from work.
Maybe I read that wrong, but they are special needs and getting constantly bullied, and that's your response? Wow

Users who are viewing this thread