What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Got hurt after I left work 3 weeks ago and my employer is giving me a hard time since the issue (1 Viewer)

DJackson10

Footballguy
Long story I fell off my bicycle 3 weeks this sat. I broke my elbow at the point have titanium plate with 2 screws. I got out of the er that sat around 11 called work to let them know I wouldn’t be next day or awhile as I broke my elbow. Had surgery that following Wednesday. I started Occcupational therapy last week got my disability forms signed so waiting for disability. to pay me now. I literally had to call work myself and get them. No one contacted me till I said something the the day after I was hurt when I called again.

My bookkeeper who keeps records is asking my girlfriend who works there to ask me for stuff such as DRs notes which is against my HIPPA rights. My produce manager who’s a cocky selfish MFer is pissed I didn’t call him despite the store telling him my message. For some reason he wants a personal call and attacking my GF for it who works cut fruit. He can call me himself as he has my number. There’s been no asking how I am etc. he’s my union shop steward so if I’d have to go over his head to report him as well. There was also an issue for months of my GF being bullied by another girl he did nothing about I stayed out till others said something to me. Calmly hinted to my manager hey you need to deal with this and nothing was done. When I went to upper management I got yesed ti death but it seemed like they were protecting my manager and employee bullying my GF. Bullying has stopped to an extent but she's now picking on another coworker. my produce manager has 2 strikes against him already for report of unprofessional behavior. He's also made comments calling my GF my B**ch on several occassionas which I brushed off for the most part but when it continued got more annoyed by the day he's done it It's clearly unprofessional behavior.

My mom shops in the store and spoke to my night manager about stuff. She said it’s upsetting I've worked there for 20 yrs and am being treated like shiII especially from my manager who u constantly have gone in for or stayed because someone he won’t fire calls out constantly. My GF was the only one to get a get well card and have a few people I am close to sign it. My issue is everyone else has had some sort of get well and they collect money for the person which I’ve put in for if I like the person and no one has. I;m more mad about the thought of people asking how I am or a call from my boss or store director telling me what should do etc and no hope you feel better or anything. My mom went to bat for me yrs ago but I was a minor. My night manager said he’d look into stuff but I don’t know. He’s a nice guy but last few times I’ve said something about stuff nothing was done.

My produce manager is also apparently threatening to screw me over when I get back. Issue is my injury is more complex. This isn’t broke elbow 8-12 weeks and back. I got foreign material now in my arm plus extensive pt. Today I got word from someone of him admitting it to another coworker as well he'd screw me over hrs wise if I don't call him soon. Like dude get over yourself and call me.

Do I call the union plus HR? Personally im looking for a new job already but want my gf to be safe and if I do go back ( we aren’t even sure if I can do my position I had again), not even sure I want to work with this ignorant clown, Possible thinking getting a lawyer involved if needed s well.

Sorry for the long post but wanted to be detailed as possible for people

Do I call the union plus HR? Personally im looking for a new job already but want my gf to be safe and if I do go back ( we aren’t even sure if I can do my position I had again), not even sure I want to work with this ignorant clown, Possible thinking getting a lawyer involved if needed s well.
Yes. Do it now.

I really hope your elbow gets better soon.

Your manager sounds like a jerk. I’d definitely be looking for another job. That said, are you sure the injury qualifies for disability?

Even if it’s your dominant limb, an employer may be able to accommodate you with alternative duties, which don’t involve the arm.

I’m certainly no expert, but I went back to work a week after breaking my leg, also surgically repaired with a rod and plates. I’ve seen others work with walking boots/casts, etc. - not physical labor though.

Last edited:
Your manager sounds like a jerk. I’d definitely be looking for another job. That said, are you sure the injury qualifies for disability?

Even if it’s your dominant limb, an employer may be able to accommodate you with alternative duties, which don’t involve the arm.

I’m certainly no expert, but I went back to work a week after breaking my leg, also surgically repaired with a rod and plates. I’ve seen others work with walking boots/casts, etc. - not physical labor though.

I qualified for it do to my labor

yeah my manager sucks. Its always about him and hes manipulative too. Anything that doesn;t go his way he feels hes being inconvenienced. I work with this other kid on weekends sometimes and he's a bit out there on some sort of depresson meds but is a space cadet. Instead of yelling at him or talking to him about missing sttuff i get blamed for it as well. Then when you get in a disagreement anyone below his position he loves to talk over you so you don't get a word in. Clown asked me if I was coming into work after my grandmom (Dad mom) funeral. I told him it was 1hr away and I wouldn't be able to work at all.

He also loves bragging about how much he works and anything we disagree with schedule wise his main response is "I have a business to run." No you don't you are an employee like the rest of us you just manage a department. Also constantly brags about his successes.

Yes. Do it now.

Thanks thinking of calling union tomorrow

Yes. Do it now.

Thanks thinking of calling union tomorrow
You should, that is what they are there for.

If I got hurt away from work, I would call my boss to let him know. I also would fully expect that I would have to get my own forms for stuff too.

Can't read beyond that.

Sorry you broke your elbow. Being injured sucks.

Guess I don’t understand why you’re so upset. Is it mainly the lack of concern from your coworkers? Broken bone sucks but it’s not really something people rally around. Employer can ask for medical Info in regards to sick leave etc, that’s not a HIPAA violation. The bullying is a separate issue that doesn’t have anything to do with the injury. You’ve been long overdo to find a job. Maybe this is the push you need.

Last edited:
If I got hurt away from work, I would call my boss to let him know. I also would fully expect that I would have to get my own forms for stuff too.

Can't read beyond that.

Sorry you broke your elbow. Being injured sucks.
I called the store he’s just my supervisor. The person I talked to at work said there was no need for me to call him as well as they let him know. I’m sure what pissed him off was when he was told it was shortly before I was do in the next day. So he probably felt inconvience but I was told I didn’t have to call him

Yes. Do it now.

So law firm gave me a letter saying they can’t take it as it’s more likely we lose without a witeness and they’d probBly counter sue me for the legal fees.

I called my union security got a hold of me. He’s in Boston on a conference should call me Fri. She said if I was at work with my concerns she’d take it for me but it’d be better for him to handle my situation himself when he gets back.

I honestly may not be with this company when I come back but If I do leave I’m not going down without a fight and making a few people accountable for their actions and overreach

Guess I don’t understand why you’re so upset. Is it mainly the lack of concern from your coworkers? Broken bone sucks but it’s not really something people rally around. Employer can ask for medical Info in regards to sick leave etc, that’s not a HIPAA violation. The bullying is a separate issue that doesn’t have anything to do with the injury. You’ve been long overdo to find a job. Maybe this is the push you need.
They asked his girlfriend to ask him about medical info and forms. That most certainly is a HIPAA violation.

They asked his girlfriend to ask him about medical info and forms. That most certainly is a HIPAA violation.
My union rep/department supervisor is also threatening my hrs if I don’t call him personally and my store manager is trying to make decisions on my situation without knowing anything more then I do right now.

I also have a voicemail from another employee “acting concerned” telling me my supervisor will screw me over when that same employee was joining in on disrespecting me so I got hard evidence they were talking about me.

The lack of concern id just secondary but given a lot of my close former coworkers have left it’s not surprising. They don’t like me especially my store night supervisor as most of them are lazy and hardly work and I’m reporting them only because said kid in my department they are interfering with him helping me out.

Are you certain its certainly a HIPAA violation? I'm far less certain.

GL DJAX

Reactions: Zow

GL DJAX
You aren’t allowed to ask others for one medical info. Unless it’s a power of attorney or disability physically where a person can’t handle it themselves. It’s not just Dr patient either. She’s also asked in the past to talk to my DRs personally.

GL DJAX
You aren’t allowed to ask others for one medical info. Unless it’s a power of attorney or disability physically where a person can’t handle it themselves. It’s not just Dr patient either. She’s also asked in the past to talk to my DRs personally.
Wow.

GL DJAX
I'm not an expert in the field, but I do not believe this is accurate. HIPPA only applies to "covered entities", generally health care providers and health insurance companies. How would it be policed at all if it applied to any random person?

If she tried to talk to your doctors, it would be the responsibility of the doctors office not to give out that info or it would be a HIPPA violation.

GL DJAX

I don't believe this is a HIPAA issue but don't want to detract from the point of the discussion. If they asked your healthcare provider for PHI, they would not be able to provide any information without authorization but that's on them, not the employer. Your employer asking your GF to relay a request for info seems completely outside HIPAA or any other regs I'm aware of.

GL DJAX

I don't believe this is a HIPAA issue but don't want to detract from the point of the discussion. If they asked your healthcare provider for PHI, they would not be able to provide any information without authorization but that's on them, not the employer. Your employer asking your GF to relay a request for info seems completely outside HIPAA or any other regs I'm aware of.
You’re correct. It’s obnoxious, and an invasion of privacy, but not a HIPAA violation - that’s on the person who releases medical info, and only applies to the “covered entities” Dr. O mentions above.

GL DJAX

Not my area of practice, but I share these thoughts as well.

Think I’d just leave and find something else…….no lawyers, no HIPAA violation threats, no guns a blazin‘. Skip the drama…..although you seem to kind of revel in it.
good idea. This playing out may not get the best referral either.
Not to mention his girlfriend still works there. Leave on bad terms and they probably just take it out on her.
That does happen also, unless she is a great worker. Ive seen it too many times. Lose one, probably losing both.

Albertsons Companies? (Don't confirm) Your many issues with the company scream them

Company treats its' employees like garbage. Wouldn't wish that company on my worst enemy

All the best GB 👍

Last edited:
I forgot to mention but I got a voice mail from a coworker admitting he’s threatening my hours. The insane part is this coworker is also talking behind my back so I got audio proof from someone to him admitting it

Albertsons Companies? (Don't confirm) Your many issues with the company scream them

Company treats its' employees like garbage. Wouldn't wish that company on my worst enemy

All the best GB 👍
Yep it is I thought they’d be better when they took over but to my surprise they are way worse. I think the issue in my store is they kept too much of the old guard around and any new Assistant store manager asks for out.

I’ve had coworkers transfer to other stores for a number of reasons from new position/closer to home etc. my store is well known for negative reasons from backstabbing to horrible management. My store manager is viewed as a joke and they laugh at the amount of *** kissing he does

I forgot to mention but I got a voice mail from a coworker admitting he’s threatening my hours. The insane part is this coworker is also talking behind my back so I got audio proof from someone to him admitting it
I think your efforts would be better spent looking for a new job than worrying about things like this. Getting someone to admit to talking behind your back on tape is meaningless and not helpful to you or any case you think you have against your employer.

Reunion rep just called me about 15-20 mins ago. I told him what was going on. He did agree people shouldn’t be talking about me and need to grow up as it’s like hs but thinks I should take more responsibility. I told him why I didn’t call my boss honestly but informed the store but also said instead of acting i convien ed as my shop steward he has had number and could take the reigns and called me himself asking what was going on and what I needed to do or suggestions.

He’s going to talk to him and my store manager as I’m not sure what my store manager knows so I’d like for him to be informed about what’s going on. I told my rep this isn’t the first time someone on medical leave has been out and mentioned my coworker who had the intestinal issues 2 yrs ago or so and how he talked about him. I forgot to mention to him comments my department head has made in terms of saying I’m taking the injury but we’ll see what happens. I told him I got a voicemail from another coworker admiring my department head giving me bad hrs if they need it.

I’ll see what this turns up and if not satisfied I’ll continue to go up the later. My hope honestly is I get a job elsewhere before I go back there and leave but still try and make things difficult for my currentl employee (the one I work for now) as there needs to be accountability here.

All the best GB 👍
Yep it is I thought they’d be better when they took over but to my surprise they are way worse. I think the issue in my store is they kept too much of the old guard around and any new Assistant store manager asks for out.

I’ve had coworkers transfer to other stores for a number of reasons from new position/closer to home etc. my store is well known for negative reasons from backstabbing to horrible management. My store manager is viewed as a joke and they laugh at the amount of *** kissing he does

I should mention too many say when they go to new stores they have had to learn things over again because my store does not do a lot of things by company guidelines. I think corporate put up with us as we are regularly a top 3-5 sales inthe district and when we were SuperFresh we were brining in top 1-2 sales per week. As long as their bottom line isn’t effected I don’t think the company will do a dam.

Hoping when the new company takes over they clean house upper management wise.

Think I’d just leave and find something else…….no lawyers, no HIPAA violation threats, no guns a blazin‘. Skip the drama…..although you seem to kind of revel in it.
Nah clowns like this will countinue to pull this crap till more people stand up to it. I’d rather make it hard for them but my hope is so it doesn’t happen to someone else. I don’t like seeing people lose their jobs but it’s obvious with the issues going on there my department manager hasn’t learned despite his 2 strikes already.

I have people who work at other stores who would give me a good referral and have said they’d vouch for me. Technically a new employer can only ask if I worked there not ask any reasons why I left/fired etc.

Not to mention his girlfriend still works there. Leave on bad terms and they probably just take it out on her.

Then the department of labor would love to have a word with them. Plus my gf grandfather runs a popular store in the area and if people who shop at our store knew what was happening to his granddaughter all hell would break loose. It’d be a PR nightmare for my current store

That does happen also, unless she is a great worker. Ive seen it too many times. Lose one, probably losing both.
She’s currently looking for a new job herself. She’s trying to get out as fast as possible for the way we’ve both been treated and how she has seen others treated. They wonder why they lose their good help but don’t want an explanation why. We got bagger/cart people outside sitting on their phones with plenty of work to do. My one assistant store manager told me the bos wont say anything as he’s afraid of losing them and not getting help. I use to work my *** off as one of those guys. So I make comments and hint up front hey your cart people don’t do ****. Even offered to train them the right way to no avail.

I think your efforts would be better spent looking for a new job than worrying about things like this. Getting someone to admit to talking behind your back on tape is meaningless and not helpful to you or any case you think you have against your employer.
It is when he has a history of issues with people. I also have 2 coworkers willing to go up and admit he said this who have heard him. His issue is with me so if he wants to talk **** accuse me of faking the injury he can call me and tell me that but he’s a guy with zero balls. He looks down on anyone not in management.

There’s actually way worse I could pin on him including the drug addict coworker talking about doing drugs to minors and offering to get them **** like cocaine

She’s currently looking for a new job herself. She’s trying to get out as fast as possible for the way we’ve both been treated and how she has seen others treated. They wonder why they lose their good help but don’t want an explanation why. We got bagger/cart people outside sitting on their phones with plenty of work to do. My one assistant store manager told me the bos wont say anything as he’s afraid of losing them and not getting help. I use to work my *** off as one of those guys. So I make comments and hint up front hey your cart people don’t do ****. Even offered to train them the right way to no avail.
I see that all the time. The manager is correct, the people will just quit and check their phones at the next job.

Man if I was ever taped talking about my coworkers behind their backs whoooi boy..... everyone would know I talk about them.....
This is more that a coworker called me I let it go to voicemail which thank his I did. He basically admits our boss will do it and talked about it.I didn’t intend on getting it on tape. I just happened not be near my phone and lucked out.

GL DJAX

Yeah, I was referring to the GF seeking info from the medical staff. However, I see what your saying. The boss didn't do anything to go against HIPPA, but asked someone else to.

GL DJAX

Yeah, I was referring to the GF seeking info from the medical staff. However, I see what your saying. The boss didn't do anything to go against HIPPA, but asked someone else to.
OP says the GF was asked to check with him about the needed medical records for processing a disability claim - I don't see anywhere mentioned that she was asked to go ask a medical provider for the info. Regardless, even if she did go to a medical provider and request information, HIPPA only applies to the person providing the medical information, it has nothing to do with the requestor of the information.

GL DJAX

OP says the GF was asked to check with him about the needed medical records for processing a disability claim - I don't see anywhere mentioned that she was asked to go ask a medical provider for the info. Regardless, even if she did go to a medical provider and request information, HIPPA only applies to the person providing the medical information, it has nothing to do with the requestor of the information.
They asked her to ask me for records. They could’ve called me instead. Another coworker I talked to thinks they are trying to set me up to fire me but if that happens there’s going to be a lot of legal issues for them

GL DJAX

They asked her to ask me for records. They could’ve called me instead. Another coworker I talked to thinks they are trying to set me up to fire me but if that happens there’s going to be a lot of legal issues for them
I'm assuming that with a company as large as the one you work for there should be a workers comp or some form of legal department that manages the disability claims. The case manager for your claim from that group should be contacting to you directly, or, more likely have had you already sign the necessary paperwork to have your medical provider send over any required documentation for the disability claim. Normally this is not done through your supervisor, though I suppose it is possible that other companies work differently. Where I work, while it is normal for the injured employee to be communicating with their supervisor about injury related absences or restrictions, the direct supervisor is not privy to the actual medical records and generally gets the information through the workers compensation representative.

Granted, this is not a work related incident, but they will still need all the documentation for the disability claim and info on how long you will be off work or on some form of restricted duty.

You keep avoiding the real issue, you finding a new job so it doesn’t matter if they’re trying to fire you. Honestly I’m not sure why you think you have some massive lawsuit against them. Most of the “issues” you bring up don’t rise to any actionable level. “Talking behind your back” or asking your GF to bring in your medical records don’t present any legal issues where compensation is required.

You need to take back control of your own life - and that entails walking away from a workplace you’re obviously miserable at.

Forget this other “noise” (that’s all it is) and start looking for work. Getting a new and better job elsewhere is your best revenge and really should be your only concern.

GL DJAX

I'm assuming that with a company as large as the one you work for there should be a workers comp or some form of legal department that manages the disability claims. The case manager for your claim from that group should be contacting to you directly, or, more likely have had you already sign the necessary paperwork to have your medical provider send over any required documentation for the disability claim. Normally this is not done through your supervisor, though I suppose it is possible that other companies work differently. Where I work, while it is normal for the injured employee to be communicating with their supervisor about injury related absences or restrictions, the direct supervisor is not privy to the actual medical records and generally gets the information through the workers compensation representative.

Granted, this is not a work related incident, but they will still need all the documentation for the disability claim and info on how long you will be off work or on some form of restricted duty.

He more or less represents my union in store. So he’d know my rights and all for the most part. He should’ve been calling me to say this is what you need to do let me know if you need any assistance and if need be call X or y as well. Honestly my shop steward shouldn’t be a department supervisor do to them possible taking advantage of their power which both of mine have. But that’s an issue for a different day

Users who are viewing this thread