What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Weakness And Foreign Policy (1 Viewer)

rockaction

Footballguy
Only weakness I've seen was Trump's weak stance on NATO throughout the first election process and term. Him threatening to pull out, causing constant drama. Sources say he wanted to abrogate the treaty. Good work, and the fool got what he asked for. 

That is all. 

what does Trump have to do with today's NATO ? there are 30 countries with NATO that can pour money into it and its been around for decades

if NATO is weak, its not Trump's fault and if NATO is not being funded equally by all countries, not Trump fault and since Biden became President we've seen what going on in the world vs when Trump was President ?

I don't understand what you're getting at

This is why it’s better to grade a president long after he leaves office.  Trump’s foreign policy will come to the forefront during this war (good and bad).

I suggest that we can sometimes get caught up in our own perceptions and values, and mistakenly attribute them to others.

The rest of the world has values that differ from our own.  We cannot assume that they interpret and think just as we do.

I have had the occasion to engage people from Russia and elsewhere. They would, IMHO, view Trump as strong and Biden as weak. We cannot change the way they think.

No doubt the NATO nations understand this as he held them accountable, and only after Biden weakened the world to a sufficient place did Putin make his move.  Which is still a bad decision, but another thing we tend to do is avoid acknowledging qualities of strength in evil people. 

Obama and Biden were probably weak too, and should have moved to make the confrontation more aggressive after Crimea.  Whatever the intentions were it seems obvious in hindsight that we should have done more.  (With the possible exception being if you think the protracted effort to engage Russia has helped make it easier to rally support against them today.)

But Trump actively aided Russia every step of the way:

• Hiring Manafort, who worked closely with Putin's stooges in Ukraine pre-revolution.
  • Stripping support for Ukraine language from the Republican platform.
  • Accepting help from Russia during the election, not working with US intelligence to stop it, denying it happened after the fact.
  • Expressed support for Russia's annexation of Crimea.
  • Extorting Zelensky and withholding military aid until the extortion was revealed.
  • Refusing to condemn the Russians poisoning opponents, including those in England.
  • Asking the G7 to let Russia back in.
  • Repeating Russian propaganda about Ukraine, and removing Vindman and Hill-- both of whom wanted to confront Russia more aggressively over Ukraine.
  • Generally expressing support and admiration for Putin (so many times it'd be hard to compile them).
I'm sure there's more.  But the idea that Trump was tough on Russia is just a joke.

Users who are viewing this thread