What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Weather - Week 14 (1 Viewer)

mlm3789

Footballguy
Looks like the weather will play a big factor in this weekend's east coast/midwest games.

http://nflweather.com/

I don't have many options at WR (Nelson/Boykin/Hunter) after Green and Allen but I'm thinking about passing on Green and picking someone else up off the WW. He's being covered by Davis and sounds like it'll be a nasty game (like the monsoon during the Pats - Bengals game earlier this season).

Who else is letting this weather system affect their lineup decisions?

It really depends on the weather. Snow or rain in an of itself can actually benefit a pass offense if it causes slippery field conditions. The offensive receiver has the advantage in those situations because they know where the play is going while the defender has to react and do it in less than ideal field conditions. Now if you add heavy gusty winds into the conditions, then that will have an impact on the quarterback's ability to throw the ball with accuracy and the advantage switches back to the defense.

looks like most 1pm games outside of FLA/Dome has potential for snow

What ya gonna do?

Depends on the wind really and it doesnt seem that bad

Earlier this week people were talking about this terrible weather - a couple games will see very cold (not extreme, if there is not much wind), namely @ Denver and @ Green Bay, but when I looked at wunderground.com/sports I didnt see anything too scary. Not like 10 degrees with 30MPH winds and 50MPH gusts and blinding snow. And I'd rather have 15 degrees and little wind than 40 degrees and driving rain and wind.

Some individuals might be concerning - Manning has some questions about playing in the very cold, how will certain receivers fare, maybe the kicking game (long game at least) could be slightly effected... but at first glance I didn't see anything that would scare me off of playing the better player in a game, though maybe in the very cold games I could see it being a tie breaker for a flex guy or something.

Colts at Bengals: Snow before 2pm, then freezing rain and sleet between 2pm and 4pm, then rain or freezing rain after 4pm. High near 31. East wind 8 to 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Browns at Patriots: Mostly sunny, with a high near 32. Northwest wind 3 to 6 mph.

Raiders at Jets: Partly sunny, with a high near 31. Northwest wind 5 to 7 mph becoming east in the afternoon.

Kansas City at Washington: Snow before noon, then snow and sleet between noon and 4pm, then freezing rain and sleet after 4pm. High near 33. Northeast wind around 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Vikings at Ravens: Snow and sleet likely before noon, then snow between noon and 4pm, then rain after 4pm. High near 35. Northeast wind 5 to 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Falcons at Packers: Snow likely, mainly after noon. Cloudy, with a high near 21. Light and variable wind becoming east 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of around 2 inches.

Bills at Buccaneers: Mostly sunny, with a high near 83. Light east wind becoming southeast 5 to 9 mph in the morning.

Dolphins at Steelers: Snow likely before 5pm, then snow and sleet likely. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 30. East wind 7 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 24 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

Lions at Eagles: Snow likely, mainly after 4pm. Cloudy, with a high near 35. Northeast wind around 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Titans at Broncos: A 40 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 16. Wind chill values as low as -6. North northeast wind 3 to 6 mph. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Rams at Cardinals: Retractable Roof

Seahawks at 49ers: Sunny, with a high near 51. Northeast wind around 7 mph.

Giants at Chargers: Mostly sunny, with a high near 57. North wind around 5 mph becoming west in the afternoon.

Panthers at Saints: Home Sweet Dome

Cowboys at Bears: Partly cloudy, with a low around 12. (wind estimates will be more accurate closer to game time).

mlm3789 said:
Looks like the weather will play a big factor in this weekend's east coast/midwest games.

I don't have many options at WR (Nelson/Boykin/Hunter) after Green and Allen but I'm thinking about passing on Green and picking someone else up off the WW. He's being covered by Davis and sounds like it'll be a nasty game (like the monsoon during the Pats - Bengals game earlier this season).

:jawdrop: :jawdrop:

:shock: :shock:

:no: :no:

Call me crazy, but I think benching your stud WR1 for WW trash in the first round of the playoffs is a bad idea.

mlm3789 said:

:jawdrop: :jawdrop:

:shock: :shock:

:no: :no:

Call me crazy, but I think benching your stud WR1 for WW trash in the first round of the playoffs is a bad idea.
I hope he's right. Going up against Green and Luck. Would love a slop fest.

But, agreed. Overthinking things in the first round of the playoffs is usually not a good idea.

Is anyone letting the weather impact who starts at kicker? It looks like Gould, Bailey, Walsh and Succop will be facing some pretty bad weather.

Colts at Bengals: Snow before 2pm, then freezing rain and sleet between 2pm and 4pm, then rain or freezing rain after 4pm. High near 31. East wind 8 to 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Browns at Patriots: Mostly sunny, with a high near 32. Northwest wind 3 to 6 mph.

Raiders at Jets: Partly sunny, with a high near 31. Northwest wind 5 to 7 mph becoming east in the afternoon.

Kansas City at Washington: Snow before noon, then snow and sleet between noon and 4pm, then freezing rain and sleet after 4pm. High near 33. Northeast wind around 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Vikings at Ravens: Snow and sleet likely before noon, then snow between noon and 4pm, then rain after 4pm. High near 35. Northeast wind 5 to 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Falcons at Packers: Snow likely, mainly after noon. Cloudy, with a high near 21. Light and variable wind becoming east 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of around 2 inches.

Bills at Buccaneers: Mostly sunny, with a high near 83. Light east wind becoming southeast 5 to 9 mph in the morning.

Dolphins at Steelers: Snow likely before 5pm, then snow and sleet likely. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 30. East wind 7 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 24 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

Lions at Eagles: Snow likely, mainly after 4pm. Cloudy, with a high near 35. Northeast wind around 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Titans at Broncos: A 40 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 16. Wind chill values as low as -6. North northeast wind 3 to 6 mph. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Giants at Chargers: Mostly sunny, with a high near 57. North wind around 5 mph becoming west in the afternoon.

Cowboys at Bears: Partly cloudy, with a low around 12. (wind estimates will be more accurate closer to game time).
This is perfect. Good info.

I'm only looking at kicker here. Could drop Akers for Tucker but weather there looks like a mix. Feely in a dome could work. Who is everyone using

TSN just tweeted this out. Looks pretty ugly:

Wet Conditions Possible: These games have at least a 30 percent chance of precipitation.

Colts at Bengals (100 percent of chance of snow/ice pellets)

Vikings at Ravens (92 percent chance of snow/ice pellets)

Chiefs at Redskins (92 percent chance of snow/ice pellets)

Falcons at Packers (84 percent chance of snow)

Lions at Eagles (76 percent chance of snow)

Dolphins at Steelers (66 percent chance of snow)

Titans at Broncos (42 percent chance of snow)

Raiders at Jets (41 percent chance of snow)

Rain could lead to a wet track and cause these teams to rely more heavily on the running game and short passes. The good news, if there is such a thing when the forecast calls for "ice pellets," is that there isn't expected to be much wind in these games. Unless we're talking about a heavy snow/ice storm, most of these teams should be able to function reasonably well. The biggest worries are in Philadelphia, with two high-powered offenses, one of which is used to playing in a dome, squaring off. The Broncos are a concern, too, given how cold it's expected to be in Denver.
MORE

Thanks for this.

I gotta move to Tampa.

Thanks for this.

I gotta move to Tampa.
It's been in the 80s here in North Florida; great until the kids hear all the Christmas songs and don't get the "White" aspect of Christmas.

Their young, they'll get over it.

I'd give up all my Christmas presents if I could sit in R James stadium in 80 degree weather. (heck, I've got a Birthday the end of the month, you can have those presents too)

Seeing how people are giving kudos to BustedKnuckles I think it's appropriate to give credit to the source.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/45629/78/injury-questions-week-14

Seeing how people are giving kudos to BustedKnuckles I think it's appropriate to give credit to the source.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/45629/78/injury-questions-week-14
I take it back then, I don't want to move to Tampa.

I don't think we'll be terribly happy with the fantasy production tomorrow, but it should be a fun day of football watching.

Snow games are the best. :banned:

Ok, I'm not a weatherman, but I live in the frozen middle of nowhere, and I can decipher weather reports. If you're not playing in DC or Cincinnatti, you'll be fine for a 1 PM game. True story.

Edit: Missed the Baltimore report. First half should be decent, 2nd half could be messier, but not windier. Should be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I missed that report - they're dicey, but it could be worse. Looks like it will have SOME snow, it's going to be warm, though (32 degrees), so it could end up being rain for all we know. Maybe both. Either way, it looks like the heaviest precip will be late in the game. Wind doesn't look like a big deal. I have Tucker, and plan to play him.

A lot can happen overnight. We will need to see the on-field reports and rely on homers in the morning.

This should make playoffs fun, especially if you are deciding between players and weather conditions.

Im not picking someone off ww and benching AJGreen. Are you nuts?

Anyone worried about the weather in Chicago tomorrow night? Temp will be around 10-15 degrees, with a windchill of -5 and wind should be 10-15 MPH, with gusts up to 20.

I also have Rivers on my roster, but am up in the air. Anyone else benching McCown or Romo, and if yes, for whom

Anyone worried about the weather in Chicago tomorrow night? Temp will be around 10-15 degrees, with a windchill of -5 and wind should be 10-15 MPH, with gusts up to 20.

I also have Rivers on my roster, but am up in the air. Anyone else benching McCown or Romo, and if yes, for whom
How can you bench McCown?

Seriously thinking of benching Romo.

They should pound Murray vs. that run D. Chicago has actually been pretty good against some decent QBs. Hasn't held them down completely but there's been some middling performances from some good QBs (Brees, Stafford). Maybe that's because the run D is so horrid.

Anyways, combine that with the weather and I'm concerned.

My only option is Flacco though.

They should pound Murray vs. that run D. Chicago has actually been pretty good against some decent QBs. Hasn't held them down completely but there's been some middling performances from some good QBs (Brees, Stafford). Maybe that's because the run D is so horrid.

The worst part is I'm staring at Flacco and RG3 and see poor weather conditions for both. Lots of decisions to make in the next five hours and looks like weather will play a factor in a lot of them.

The worst part is I'm staring at Flacco and RG3 and see poor weather conditions for both. Lots of decisions to make in the next five hours and looks like weather will play a factor in a lot of them.
The latest weather forecast calls for snow early in baltimore with a switch to rain/sleet possibly after the game. Light winds. Think that would be ok if that forecast sticks later this morning.

Any updates on the Indy Cinci game from a local?

AJ Green production is my biggest worry, but you gotta assume he gets his.

I don't trust them damn meteorologists.

But the local hourly forecast says light snow all morning (90% chance), changes to rain at noon (90% chance), and switches to freezing rain around 2:00 (90% chance).

Doesn't look terrible. Those winds don't look too bad, straight out of the west and looks like the stadium is north and south. Temps seem to be on the rise in the forecast also. Is there ever a game with no wind in Chicago?

http://www.wunderground.com/sports/NFL/hometeam/Chicago:Bears.html?st=1386625200

I'm all systems go for Alex Smith in a blizzard in Washington. He will now throw 0 TDs and 1 INT. If I benched him, he would get 3 and 0

"Coaching staffs are concered about the footing on the field as the weather gets worse" is what I just heard on NFL Network for Chiefs/Redskins.

"Coaching staffs are concered about the footing on the field as the weather gets worse" is what I just heard on NFL Network for Chiefs/Redskins.
I have been studying the weather in Washington as if my life depended on it, or at least my fantasy season.

It looks to be the turf as reported and that can really affect the running game and since the snow looks to be light and with little accumulation until after 3 pm and the wind to be about 8-10 MPH, that can benefit the passing game since the WR knows the route and can really burn a corner.

Am I wishful thinking, or is that possible?

Landover, MD Future Weather Animation

I have been studying the weather in Washington as if my life depended on it, or at least my fantasy season.

It looks to be the turf as reported and that can really affect the running game and since the snow looks to be light and with little accumulation until after 3 pm and the wind to be about 8-10 MPH, that can benefit the passing game since the WR knows the route and can really burn a corner.

Am I wishful thinking, or is that possible?

Landover, MD Future Weather Animation
How will that affect a quarterback who relies on the run to open up his iffy passing game?

snow is coming down in DC. just barely starting to stick to the ground. i'm more worried about smith throwing the ball when it changes to sleet / freezing rain than a little snow.

Users who are viewing this thread