What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 17 who should I start thread **OFFICIAL** (1 Viewer)

I rarely post in these threads, (since I usually am willing to back myself) but I thought it was an interesting enough scenario.

Need a FLEX PLAY .5PPR -

Choose from DARE OGUNBOWALE, JEFF WILSON, ALEXANDER MATTISON, MELVIN GORDON, BRANDIN COOKS, MYLES GASKIN, REX BURKHEAD, JAVONTE WILLIAMS.  

I've factored Burkhead and Gaskin out. I also have Dalvin Cook going as one of my RBs, so I won't start that tandem of him and Mattison. (possibly limiting upside)  Jeff Wilson has appeal if he was going to get a full workload, but Mitchell is slated to return after several good practices.  Ogunbowale has some workload appeal, although its not a good matchup.

That leaves me with the Denver backs, and Brandin Cooks.

Here is where it gets interesting.   I look to be a significant underdog in the finals.  My opponent is a buzzsaw, and I look to be a roughly 16-18 point dog........or more.

Cooks looks to be a great play, but there is still a chance he gets "eased in"after returning from Covid, as a few players have. He has done well with some sketchy QB play too.

Knowing I look to be a massive underdog, ALL SIGNS POINT TO JAVONTE WILLIAMS .  The matchup is as good as it gets, and Denver looks to be Covid decimated and will likely be playing from behind.  Add in the fact that Melvin Gordon was "limited" and nicked up in practices this week, and it leads me to look to Williams.

He has looked great when he is on the field, and rips off chunk plays with no issues.

Knowing I need a "swing for the fences" play, it seems like he is the one who *might* churn out a 25+ points number of all of these. Though if its still a messy split with Gordon, I wouldn't be shocked either.

Thoughts anyone???

Last edited by a moderator:
Need one of these two to go alongside R.Penny due to Covid + injuries

Javonte Williams vs the Chargers - Denver playing with a terrible QB and banged up WR corp. The run game looked terrible vs the Raiders...On the other hand they are playing the Chargers who made Rex Burkhead look like Barry Sanders last week

AJ Dillon vs the Vikings - Dillon's role has diminished the last few weeks, but it's possible that GB pulls away and they let Dillon run out the clock considering that Jones is slightly banged up.

We are in a 1/2 pt ppr league with a huge emphasis on TD'S. They count for 10pts each. would appreciate any help I could get. This decision is driving me nuts lol

I rarely post in these threads, (since I usually am willing to back myself) but I thought it was an interesting enough scenario.

Need a FLEX PLAY .5PPR -

Choose from DARE OGUNBOWALE, JEFF WILSON, ALEXANDER MATTISON, MELVIN GORDON, BRANDIN COOKS, MYLES GASKIN, REX BURKHEAD.  

I've factored Burkhead and Gaskin out. I also have Dalvin Cook going as one of my RBs, so I won't start that tandem of him and Mattison. (possibly limiting upside)  Jeff Wilson has appeal if he was going to get a full workload, but Mitchell is slated to return after several good practices.  Ogunbowale has some workload appeal, although its not a good matchup.

Here is where it gets interesting.   I look to be a significant underdog in the finals.  My opponent is a buzzsaw, and I look to be a roughly 16-18 point dog........or more.

Cooks looks to be a great play, but there is still a chance he gets "eased in"after returning from Covid, as a few players have. He has done well with some sketchy QB play too.

Knowing I look to be a massive underdog, ALL SIGNS POINT TO JAVONTE WILLIAMS .  The matchup is as good as it gets, and Denver looks to be Covid decimated and will likely be playing from behind.  Add in the fact that Melvin Gordon was "limited" and nicked up in practices this week, and it leads me to look to Williams.

He has looked great when he is on the field, and rips off chunk plays with no issues.

Knowing I need a "swing for the fences" play, it seems like he is the one who *might* churn out a 25+ points number of all of these. Though if its still a messy split with Gordon, I wouldn't be shocked either.

Thoughts anyone???
Brandon cooks the matchup is too good 

Need a FLEX PLAY .5PPR -

Choose from DARE OGUNBOWALE, JEFF WILSON, ALEXANDER MATTISON, MELVIN GORDON, BRANDIN COOKS, MYLES GASKIN, REX BURKHEAD.  

Thoughts anyone???
In your particular case I think Williams is the right call. He could be a complete bust as Denver looked terrible vs the Raiders. On the other hand the Chargers are incredibly bad against the run. Houston made them look foolish last week. If you are looking for upside J.Williams is your guy.

Javonte Williams vs the Chargers - Denver playing with a terrible QB and banged up WR corp. The run game looked terrible vs the Raiders...On the other hand they are playing the Chargers who made Rex Burkhead look like Barry Sanders last week

AJ Dillon vs the Vikings - Dillon's role has diminished the last few weeks, but it's possible that GB pulls away and they let Dillon run out the clock considering that Jones is slightly banged up.

We are in a 1/2 pt ppr league with a huge emphasis on TD'S. They count for 10pts each. would appreciate any help I could get. This decision is driving me nuts lol
Probably Javonte but AJ Dillon has 2 td potential if you need risk reward 

You know how I feel about Williams from the other thread. I think he is the right call.

Lets look at what  IS LIKELY to happen in Green Bay.   All reports are that the weather is going to be below zero or thereabouts.  I think a potential shootout is unlikely. Maybe a 17-13 game or something like that? Plus MIN gives up THE MOST points to the WR position.... they are better against the run.

I do agree with @TampaMike19 above, Dillon does indeed have 2 TD upside.....I just don't see a high scoring affair.

I could easily see a 5-6 touch day for Dillon, and I don't see any scenario where Javonte doesn't get more than that, in great weather, against a team that can't stop the run, in which Denver also looks to be playing from behind. (Williams is their preferred option for pass catching) Gordon may indeed be nicked up still too.

Just my opinion, so everyone fire up their MELVIN GORDON'S AND AJ DILLONS.    :lol:

Adso said:
PPR, 1QB. Assuming Lamar Jackson is out, how would you rank these 3 QB's?

• Kyler Murray @ Dallas: seems like the no brainer option, but the last three weeks he is 2:3 TD:Int with no rushing touchdowns. His legs have kept his scoring from completely tanking, but I'm legit scared of his outlook in this away game (dome) against a lights out Dallas Defense without his DHop safety net. This offense is based on short quick throws and runs to set up deep shots... and they have no one in that deep role right now; his ADOT has tanked.
  • Russell Wilson vs Detroit: Has been putrid since his return from injury, but this is as good a matchup as he could ask for and he's got all his targets available. Potential concern that Penny could steal the show, this team's morale is shot, and right now the weather is predicted to be rainy in the low 40s.
  • Tyler Huntley vs. LAR: Assuming LJ is out Huntley will be playing at home (66F, light showers in the AM) in a must-win game if the Ravens want to go to the post-season. He obv lit up the Packers a couple weeks ago and has running upside. He's delivered in a big game and he'll be forced to make plays in both the run and pass game if the Ravens stand any chance given how beat up their defense is.
Additional small considerations... I also have the Dallas D so playing Murray would imply that if either goes off the other suffers. My opponent has Metcalf, so playing Wilson would negate some of those points. Also likely starting Everett fwiw.
I appreciate your help with my question.  Gut feeling with the options tell me to start Kyler.  Looking at the matchups, I like Rus on paper but I would still talk myself into starting Kyler due to the time of possession issues for the Seahawks and Metcalf/Rus not connecting. Best of luck to you! 

Asked a good few pages back and no one replied so will try again !

non ppr …

Elliot v ARI and R Jones @ NYJ in at two RB spots 

Deebo v HOU at WR 

AJ Brown v MIA or Chase v KAN at the WR2 spot ??

whichever one of those misses out would you take over ..

Penny v DET at flex ???

thanks 

Need a FLEX PLAY .5PPR -

Choose from DARE OGUNBOWALE, JEFF WILSON, ALEXANDER MATTISON, MELVIN GORDON, BRANDIN COOKS, MYLES GASKIN, REX BURKHEAD, JAVONTE WILLIAMS.  

Thoughts anyone???
I'll be watching what others are saying about J Williams myself as he appears to be the play in a FLEX spot for one of my teams. QB play is a slight downgrade, Sutton playing helps, and M Gordon, well, it's okay. Such a good match up and perhaps J Williams can catch a few balls too!

PPR league:

QB: Murray @ Dallas or Burrow vs. KC

RB: Chubb @ Pitt or Ekelor vs. Denver (Taylor is my other RB, no flex)

non ppr …

Deebo v HOU at WR 

Penny v DET at flex ???

thanks 
AJ is a must start to me.

non ppr …

Deebo v HOU at WR 

Penny v DET at flex ???

thanks 
hey GB

I would say go with AJB WR2  & Chase for the Flex

GL today!

Hi All. Anyone want to chime in? In a bad spot with QB this week…deep 16 team league

My QB’s are

M Ryan at Buffalo

Heinicke vs Philly

Darnold at N.O.

Newton at N.O.

All pretty terrible options. Instead of one of these, I could pick up 

Tim Boyle at Seattle

or Sean Mannion at Green Bay

I have  Ryan in now but am seriously considering picking up and starting Boyle. 😩 

Thoughts?
I would not start Boyle, what has he done to be in consideration for a championship game?

I see the reasoning behind Mannion because of the receivers & Dalvin but he's also done nothing to give any confidence.

Heinicke & Ryan are the most consistent options and, depending on the configuration of your roster probably the smartest options.  I slightly lean towards Heinicke and he has been marginally better and has a better matchup at home.

If you really need to shoot for a big play then I go with Mannion but otherwise Heinicke.

.5 ppr / need one of these as a flex.

Javonte, Eli Mitchell, St. Brown, Jeff Wilson

Thank you!
If Mitchell plays I play him over the others.  Shanahan has shown no interest in limiting his workload to keep him healthy so he should be in line for the lions share of a great matchup.

If Mitchell is out then Wilson is the call IMO.

Mitchell>St. Brown>Javonte

Final Flex PPR spot is crapshoot:

Options:

Braxton Berrios, Elijah Mitchell, Jeff Wilson, Robby Anderson, Marvin Jones, Alan Lazard, Tyler Higbee

Appreciate any advice.

Need a FLEX PLAY .5PPR -

Thoughts anyone???
Cooks by a good margin IMO.

I love Javonte but he has also been limited in practice all week. He laid a huge egg last week against a highly vulnerable run defense.  IMO the Raiders were able to shut them down because Drew Lock was the QB, and that was with a full compliment of receiving weapons.  The Chargers should be able to comfortably overcommit to stopping the run game. How many targets can we reasonably expect for Javonte? Four?  He got seven in a close loss against Cleveland and nine when Melvin was out against the Chiefs, neither of those seem like likely outcomes this week.

I can't put a % on Cooks being "eased in" mostly because it feels like classic overthinking.  He is their receiving game and Mills is clearly locked in on the guy. He could absolutely lay an egg but the same playing-from-behind logic you posit for Javonte being a good start applies even more to Cooks. He has also demonstrated huge upside.

Cooks>Javonte IMO

Tough call but I lean Javonte by a slim margin.  There is a huge risk to Javonte with limited weapons at WR and Drew Lock at QB. The Chargers will likely overcommit to stopping the run and the running game may not get on track similar to last week.  But, on the whole last week looks like more of an outlier at this point (maybe it will look like a trend after this week). Javonte has reliably received about 15 opportunities in games where he and Melvin are both active.  And even if they Chargers overcommit they have been terrible vs the run.  

Dillon is a beast and the Pack should win handily but I have been burned multiple times when trying to read tea leaves regarding game script.  The bottom line is Aaron Jones eats more into Dillon's opportunity share than Melvin does for Javonte.

Javonte>Dillon

non ppr …

Deebo v HOU at WR 

Penny v DET at flex ???

thanks 
I believe I answered this yesterday.

So the first question is AJ v Chase?

I go with AJ because he has far more guaranteed volume as there is simply no one else to throw to in Tennessee.  And AJ is one of the most physically talented WRs in the game.  Chase is amazing, maybe even more talented than AJ (even if he is it's close) but his targets over the last six games are 6, 3, 8, 8, 4 & 10.  This game may be a track meet or maybe not but I wouldn't want to be on the bad side of a 4 target game from Chase. It's definitely close but I like AJ.

AJ>Chase

For your Flex?  Yeah I could absolutely see starting Chase over RoJo or Penny.  I think I probably ride Penny's hot hand and between Chase & RoJo...

Chase>RoJo again it's close so go with your gut.

PPR league:

QB: Murray @ Dallas or Burrow vs. KC

RB: Chubb @ Pitt or Ekelor vs. Denver (Taylor is my other RB, no flex)
I love Murray but something has been off with him lately, I wouldn't bench Burrow for almost any other QB ATM.

Burrow>Murray

In a PPR Ekeler>>Chubb those receptions are key and he has been a monster all year

OK, final tricky decisions.

1/2 PPR, start two, going with benching St Brown/Cooks:

• Renfrow @ Colts
  • St Brown @ Seahawks
  • Metcalf vs Lions
  • Cooks @ 49ers
1/2 PPR, start two, assuming Ekeler is active thus Jackson will be useless and Conner will either be inactive but boom/bust, so Scott/Freeman by default, although I can pick up Rex Burkhead:

• Jackson vs Broncos
  • Scott @ WFT
  • Conner @ Cowboys
  • Freeman vs Rams
  • Burkhead @ 49ers
1/2 PPR, need a RB, 2WR, flex, Patterson can play both positions, I think both Terry and St Brown should be picks, will probably put Patterson in as well, so just leaves a RB decision perhaps:

• McLaurin vs Eagles
  • Patterson @ Bills
  • Burkhead @ 49ers
  • St Brown @ Seahawks
  • Gallup vs Cardinals
  • Dillon vs Vikings
  • Scott @ WFT

Final Flex PPR spot is crapshoot:

Options:

Braxton Berrios, Elijah Mitchell, Jeff Wilson, Robby Anderson, Marvin Jones, Alan Lazard, Tyler Higbee

Appreciate any advice.
Surprised so many people are having trouble with Mitchell.

IMO, and I have said this multiple times in this thread, if Mitchell plays I play him without hesitation.

If Mitchell is out then Wilson looks like a great start.

QB: T. Huntley, R. Wilson, or T.Hill…or pick up Trey Lance?

Flex: B.Cooks or D. Harris? (0.5 PPR)?

• Renfrow @ Colts
  • St Brown @ Seahawks
  • Metcalf vs Lions
  • Cooks @ 49ers
1/2 PPR, start two, assuming Ekeler is active thus Jackson will be useless and Conner will either be inactive but boom/bust, so Scott/Freeman by default, although I can pick up Rex Burkhead:

• Jackson vs Broncos
  • Scott @ WFT
  • Conner @ Cowboys
  • Freeman vs Rams
  • Burkhead @ 49ers
1/2 PPR, need a RB, 2WR, flex, Patterson can play both positions, I think both Terry and St Brown should be picks, will probably put Patterson in as well, so just leaves a RB decision perhaps:

• McLaurin vs Eagles
  • Patterson @ Bills
  • Burkhead @ 49ers
  • St Brown @ Seahawks
  • Gallup vs Cardinals
  • Dillon vs Vikings
  • Scott @ WFT
1) I like what St. Brown has been doing as much as anyone but with Boyle at QB it feels like a red flag.  You have great options and a tough decision.  Depending on your matchup Metcalf still screams explosive potential but something is definitely off in Seattle.  Renfrow has far more stability at QB than St. Brown but has been more uneven in his targets over the last four games.

Yeah I can see rolling the dice with Cooks & St. Brown.

2) This is a nightmare choice IMO.  I don't have much to offer but Scott seems like as reasonable of a gamble as you can make.  After that it's a true blind dart throw.  Maybe Conner? :shrug:

3) St. Brown seems like your best choice and I probably roll the dice on Patterson hoping he can squeeze out one more big game. After that I want to say McLaurin but he has simply been disappointing all season so I might gamble on Scott.

I probably roll the dice on Huntley but his resume is paper thin so you assume a lot of risk.  Taysom Hill is probably a more stable option and has good upside.

I like Cooks over Harris simply because Rhamondre adds a vulture factor.

Would love some championship help. Pick just one for flex in full point per:

• Jaret Patterson vs Eagles
  • Boston Scott vs WFT
  • Jordan Howard vs WFT
  • Van Jefferson vs Bal
At TE Moreau, Everett, or Kmet?

Ughhh…was locking in Boston Scott until now it appears Howard will play. Any ideas on workload split? Maybe pivot to Jaret Patterson for the full workload?

TE has been a crapshoot since I lost Hockenson.  Thanks guys!

Any thoughts on this?

With Mitchell back, it’s making me consider a late pivot to Derrick Gore from Jeff Wilson. Also would be benching Freeman which still feels like the right choice.

Wilson has the “Mitchell could get re-injured or they could get a huge lead and run out the game” upside, while Gore could out-touch D. Williams and surprise some people, but maybe that’s more of a longshot than I think and I’m reaching. 

TampaMike19 said:
Boston Scott or Patterson? Half ppr flex 
Looking at the same with Javonte. Both honestly feel ok, not great, given team context. Howard likely to play, Lock without good WRs... I lean Patterson in your case for reliable volume.

The question becomes: Do the Eagles dominate WFT vs Do the Chargers dominate Denver?

Chaka said:
Apparently Jordan Howard is going to play and that is enough reason to go with Patterson IMO.
Feels like a classic go with the better offense and team in a timeshare vs worse offense but more volume. Patterson feels better than dare but Scott may have more td opportunities, unless Howard steals those too? The only tie breaker is basically projection and ranking 

Bench two in .5ppr

Davante adams freezing cold, will they really need to throw?  Then again, Rodgers is going for the MVP 

Tyreek hill total disappointment last week after return from covid, but looks like a shootout vs Cincinnati 

Damien harris questionable all week and has rhamondre coming back, but coming off monster game and plays jaguars

Rashad penny playing in the rain at home vs Detroit and has been red hot recently 

Sony Michel hot hand recently playing Baltimore

Josh Jacobs the guy i drafted highest among these rbs but probably fourth of the four 

Looking at the same with Javonte. Both honestly feel ok, not great, given team context. Howard likely to play, Lock without good WRs...

The question becomes: Do the Eagles dominate WFT vs Do the Chargers dominate Denver?
Howard playing leans me toward Patterson. 

Scott will be TD dependent to have a good day.  See mine

Chaka said:
I probably roll the dice on Huntley but his resume is paper thin so you assume a lot of risk.  Taysom Hill is probably a more stable option and has good upside.

I like Cooks over Harris simply because Rhamondre adds a vulture factor.
I like Huntley with those options. 

Hou should be throwing a lot, go Cooks

ConnSKINS26 said:
Any thoughts on this?

With Mitchell back, it’s making me consider a late pivot to Derrick Gore from Jeff Wilson. Also would be benching Freeman which still feels like the right choice.

Wilson has the “Mitchell could get re-injured or they could get a huge lead and run out the game” upside, while Gore could out-touch D. Williams and surprise some people, but maybe that’s more of a longshot than I think and I’m reaching. 
Unless you think KC will roll Cinci I wouldn't count on Gore out touching Williams. Gore seems to get the cleanup carries not the close game opportunities.

Still, it is possible KC will crush Cinci, they are the best team in the league ATM.

Not sure I can parse these two any better but I agree with your reasoning for the most part.

Bench two in .5ppr

Davante adams freezing cold, will they really need to throw?  Then again, Rodgers is going for the MVP 

Tyreek hill total disappointment last week after return from covid, but looks like a shootout vs Cincinnati 

Damien harris questionable all week and has rhamondre coming back, but coming off monster game and plays jaguars

Rashad penny playing in the rain at home vs Detroit and has been red hot recently 

Josh Jacobs the guy i drafted highest among these rbs but probably fourth of the four 
I'd start Adams, Hill, Michel, Harris

Bench Penny (Wilsons last home game - I think they throw the ball alot) and Jacobs (Michel/Harris just a better option IMO). 

Howard playing leans me toward Patterson. 

Scott will be TD dependent to have a good day.  See mine
Howard, Scott, and Patterson all have low floors. They're just for different reasons. Story is similar with the San Fran backs. I don't think their own coaches (SF and PHI) know what they're going to do with their guys. 

I'm not starting MVS in that spot (frigid conditions, likely blowout), but I'm stumped what direction to go with the above options. Gotta choose one though.

titusbramble said:

• Renfrow @ Colts
  • St Brown @ Seahawks
  • Metcalf vs Lions
  • Cooks @ 49ers

• Jackson vs Broncos
  • Scott @ WFT
  • Conner @ Cowboys
  • Freeman vs Rams
  • Burkhead @ 49ers

• McLaurin vs Eagles
  • Patterson @ Bills
  • Burkhead @ 49ers
  • St Brown @ Seahawks
  • Gallup vs Cardinals
  • Dillon vs Vikings
  • Scott @ WFT
I would not bench St. Brown He's QB proof. 

Burkhead. Howard is playing, so downgrade Scott, too TD dependent.

I like St. Brown, then Gallup

QB WDIS

6 point TD's 

3 point bonus >300 yards

Prescott or Murray?
Prescott has 9 tds and 8 ints on the road this year and 20.tds vs 2 ints at home. This is a home game. Dallas also has the better defense. Both these guys have struggled and this is a huge game for both but I'll go dak all day 

ConnSKINS26 said:
Any thoughts on this?

Choosing between nfl rb2s who both have uncertain roles is tough but I'll take the one from the game with the higher o/u 

TampaMike19 said:
Boston Scott or Patterson? Half ppr flex 
Mediocre player full workload > mediocre player part workload 

Barksdale said:

It is really hard for me to bench Harris right now and cooks has been inconsistent with the qb volatility. Rhamondre being back and mills playing well definitely makes this closer but I'd take Harris in a must win game for the Patriots 

For those considering Renfrow, apparently he's going against Kenny Moore, a top slot corner according to Kyle Yates (on another site).

Bench two in .5ppr

I definitely bench Harris with Rhamondre in the lineup.

I can absolutely see benching Jacobs and wouldn't argue against it but Michel has a brutal matchup and the Ravens have the worst pass D in the league.  This may be a passing day in Baltimore.

Jacobs has been mediocre but he's getting great volume and is big factor in the passing game at this point and it's a much better matchup.

I'm not saying you should bench Michel for Jacobs but I think I would if it were my team.

.5 ppr for WR&RB / 1ppr for TE

start 3 of these 5 at my 3 flex spots:

Beckham at BAL

Frieirmuth vs CLE

Howard @ WAS

Ogunbawale @ NE

Foreman vs MIA

I'd start Adams, Hill, Michel, Harris

Bench Penny (Wilsons last home game - I think they throw the ball alot) and Jacobs (Michel/Harris just a better option IMO). 

I definitely bench Harris with Rhamondre in the lineup.

I can absolutely see benching Jacobs and wouldn't argue against it but Michel has a brutal matchup and the Ravens have the worst pass D in the league.  This may be a passing day in Baltimore.

Jacobs has been mediocre but he's getting great volume and is big factor in the passing game at this point and it's a much better matchup.

I'm not saying you should bench Michel for Jacobs but I think I would if it were my team.
So one of you would bench penny and jacobs and the other would start penny and jacobs lol 

####

In a standard league, would anyone use Stevenson in place of Barkley?

Was hoping to use Scott or Wilson, but those don't look to be panning out.

Users who are viewing this thread