What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 2 picks against the spread (1 Viewer)

Chase Stuart

Footballguy
Probably much easier to read on the PFR blog (with fancier fonts and links to several articles/stats), available here: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=9344

But if you're lazy....

Games I like

Seattle @ Pittsburgh (-14.5): As everyone knows, the Seahawks are running into a buzzsaw this week. Cross-country road trip traveling west to east, 1:00 game, and against an angry and focused Steelers team. The last time Seattle went to Pittsburgh was four years ago, with that game also scheduled with a 1:00 kickoff. Coincidentally, 2007 was also the last time the Seahawks were respectable (SRS score of +1.8; they've had an SRS score of -7.5 or worse every year since then). That game was still an ugly 21-0 Pittsburgh victory, and I expect the same on Sunday. SRS said Pittsburgh was 19.6 points better than Seattle last year, which roughly translates to a 24 point-line, in my opinion, given the location and time of the game. Pittsburgh looked terrible against Baltimore, but I'm more than willing to give the Steelers the benefit of the doubt. Pittsburgh won't have 7 turnovers again this week, and while Vegas is trying to illicit action on the Seahawks thanks to that extra half-point on the line, I'm not falling for it. Pittsburgh covers and wins easily.

Kansas City @ Detroit (-9): Nine points is a lot for Detroit to give: the Lions haven't been favored by as much as a touchdown since week 17 of the 2000 season. On the other hand, most of those games were started by someone other than Matthew Stafford. The Lions had a very difficult schedule in 2010, while the Chiefs had an easy one; as a result, Detroit's SRS grade was 2.6 points higher than Kansas City's in 2010. Tack on HFA, and a line of 9 isn't unreasonable given what we saw in week one. Jamaal Charles indoors could be scary, but I don't like anything that's going on in Kansas City. The Lions should win this one easily -- although I can't say I'm not frightened at the prospect of taking the Lions.

Dallas @ San Francisco (+3): The Cowboys and the 49ers. Troy Aikman vs. Steve Young; Danny White and Joe Montana; Roger Staubach and Craig Morton against John Brodie. Tony Romo and ... Alex Smith. Yes, the rivalry has lost a bit of luster. Perhaps this is a trap game for the Cowboys, coming off a heartbreaking defeat against the Jets and before the home opener against rival Washington -- but the Cowboys are a much, much better team than San Francisco. Sure, the Cowboys are banged up in the secondary, but the 49ers are banged up at quarterback and wide receiver, and Alex Smith isn't even hurt. Dallas was 3.6 points better than SF according to the SRS last year, and the teams are moving in opposite directions. I thought the 49ers were hurt more by the lockout than any other team, as they really needed the practice time to help them install their new, timing-based offense. They lost Manny Lawson, Takeo Spikes, Nate Clements, Travis Laboy and Aubrayo Franklin on defense, without adding much. The 49ers beat the Seahawks, but (i) it's the Seahawks, and (ii) the 49ers were actually outgained by six first downs, went 1-12 on third down conversions, won the turnover battle by 3, and still needed two Ted Ginn return touchdowns to ice the game. The Cowboys should win and cover, perhaps in blowout fashion.

Houston @ Miami (+3): The Texans will win the AFC South, but if things were aligned differently, they might be the worst team in the AFC East. Miami is not a bad team by any stretch, and shouldn't be a three-point home dog to a team like Houston. The Miami passing attack looked strong against New England, and the Texans' pass defense still needs to show that it's improved against non-Kerry Collins teams. Houston's probably the better team, and they get Arian Foster back. But Miami was 1.5 points better than the Texans' last year, despite finishing 30th in turnover margin (the Texans had the same number of takeaways and giveaways). Have these two teams really gone in such a direct that the Texans should have a 7 point swing over a predicted line from 2010? I don't think so. Take the Dolphins to cover, because this is a coin-flip game.

Philadelphia @ Atlanta (+1.5): Last year, the Falcons had the better SRS grade. But the 2010 Falcons weren't all that good at anything, other than winning the turnover battle (+14, 3rd best). The Falcons ranked in the bottom half of the league in net yards per attempt, net yards per attempt allowed, rushing yards per attempt allowed and rushing yards per carry. Until the oddsmakers treat the Falcons like a .500 team, take their opponent each week. Yes, Michael Vick returns to the scene of the crime, a headline that will dominate the Sunday night telecast. Just know that the Eagles are a lot better than the Falcons, and will prove it in spades.

Games I lean

Arizona @ Washington (-4): If this line feels "odd" to you, it's not you, it's Washington. The Redskins have been a favorite exactly once in 17 games under Mike Shanahan, a loss in St. Louis as 4.5 point heavies. In fact, that game last season was the only time in Washington's previous 27 games where they've been favored by more than a point. So yes, it's odd to see the Redskins as a 4-point favorite against a team that's also had more success than them in recent years. That's why I put this game in the 'lean' column. But remember: bet against the NFC West when possible. This is another West to East game with a 1:00 start, which means Vegas essentially views these as even teams. As bad as you probably think the Redskins were last year, they actually were 8.9 points better (according to the SRS) than the Cardinals! There were a lot of things to take away from this weekend's games, but none more obvious than this: Arizona's pass defense is terrible. Rex Grossman could throw for 350 yards and 3 TDs and I wouldn't bat an eye. Arizona may have more "talent" but their defense is infinitely worse. The SRS score understates how much better the Cardinals are with Kevin Kolb, but Washington is a good bet to win; even stronger? The over 44.

Oakland @ Buffalo (-3.5): The third of the West to East games, but the league put the screws to Al Davis in this one. The Raiders will take the field in Orchard Park roughly 5.5 days after Oakland's game ended against the Broncos. I think the Bills could be the breakout team of 2011, so I'm not going to sweat essentially a neutral line against the Raiders. The SRS says the Bills were 4.5 points worse than Oakland last season, so this line is still a decently-sized departure from that. But Buffalo finished last in the league in turnover margin last year and will do better in 2011. This isn't a great line, but I see the Bills more juiced up for a home opener than they've been in years. The only reason this is a lean game? The Raiders are a great running team, and the Bills have had the worst rushing defense in football the past two seasons.

Cleveland @ Indianapolis (+1.5): Take a second and look at that line. From 2000 to 2010 -- ignoring meaningless week 17 games where the Colts announced their intention to rest most of the starters -- Indianapolis was a home dog only one time in that eleven year stretch, and that was when they faced the '07 Patriots. Now the Colts are underdogs in their home opener against Cleveland. I have already written my piece on the 2011 Colts and the Browns entered the 2011 season as a legit sleeper team. But they just fell on their faces as home favorites, so I'm not apt to put this in the games I like category with them as road favorites in a hostile environment. That said, I do lean the Browns, and think they likely win this game.

Cincinnati @ Denver (-4.5): I don't know what's more shocking: taking the Bengals on the road or seeing the Broncos as 4.5 point home favorites. Denver will be playing in front of another hostile crowd this weekend, which seems to happen whenever the Broncos leave Tim Tebow on the bench. Bruce Gradkowski is likely to get the start for the Bengals, but despite playing for two years in the AFC West, never faced Denver. Neither of these two teams are any good, but teams that have won 4 of their last 21 games shouldn't be favored by this much against anyone. Take Cincinnati, although I was so scared when I wrote that sentence that I downgraded this game to a 'lean.'

St. Louis @ New York Giants (-5.5): This line feels perfect, but the old rule is still in place: bet against the NFC West if you can. The Rams aren't all that good and might be the only team more banged up than the Giants. I don't think either team is in line for a good season, but my gut tells me that the Giants are a professional football team and can handle the Rams at home by a touchdown. Big Blue is the more talented team, and the stadium will be loud for the Monday Night home opener.

Coin-flips

Baltimore @ Tennessee (+5.5): The betting public loves good teams on the road against bad teams, and Vegas loves to clean up against the public. Believe it or not, the SRS had the Ravens as only 5.4 points better than Tennessee last year, so a 5.5-point line in Tennessee basically ignores home field. The Ravens looked incredible in week 1 while the Titans looked hopeless, so you can understand the justification. The Ravens won six games by more than 6 points in '10, three more by exactly six, and played in seven games where they narrowly won or lost. The line is appropriate here, and I'd stay away. If you have to bet, take Baltimore.

Jacksonville @ New York Jets (-9): Based on last year's SRS, the Jets should be 14 point favorites here. Because of a 9-8 record since 2010, it's easy to forget how bad the Jaguars have been. But Jacksonville lost 7 games last season by 10 points or more, and I don't have any more faith in Luke McCown than I did David Garrard. This is not a very good team, but I am not ready to give the Jets 9 points against many teams. New York looked schizophrenic on offense against the Cowboys and still lack an offensive identity. The Jets would love nothing more than to run, run and run some more against the Jags, but Jacksonville's run defense is much improved. The SRS thinks the Jets are a good bet, but Rex Ryan and crew will try to win this game old-school style and that's not good for a two score line. A 20-10. 21-13 sort of game is what I'm seeing, so I'm not willing to touch this one. The Jets have had a tough schedule since Ryan arrived, but because they've only won 10 of 33 games by double digits under his watch, I can't confidently take the Jets to cover. Picking the Jaguars is tough to stomach. Mike Thomas will feel like he's in quicksand lining up against Darrelle Revis, and Jason Hill isn't going to fare any better against Antonio Cromartie. The safest bet would be to take the Jets and the under (38), as I doubt both are losing tickets while there's decent upside in both paying out.

Tampa Bay @ Minnesota (-3): Two teams tough to get a read on. The Bucs only edged the Vikings out by 1 point in the SRS standings last year, but you felt like these franchises were headed in opposite directions. But the Vikings covered last week while Tampa got obliterated by the Lions, regardless of the final score. On principle, I can't take Donovan McNabb's team to outscore anyone, but I don't love the Bucs having to win in a hostile environment by more than a field goal. Tampa reminds me of the Falcons of a few years ago, where the game script was fine when everything was going well but got ripped to shreds once things get out of hand. LeGarrette Blount has that LenDale White/Michael Turner/Shonn Greene characteristic to him, where he can be dominant when things are going well but disappears when his team is trailing. Josh Freeman is a very good quarterback, but he doesn't have the most explosive set of weapons. When Tampa is winning, they'll be tough to beat. I think we'll see them dominate inferior teams and struggle against the bad ones; unfortunately, I don't think we know exactly where the Vikings fall on that line. Because of Minnesota's good run defense, this game falls into the coin-flip category, but I'd rather side with Tampa than Minnesota.

San Diego at New England (-7): You're a lunatic if you bet this game. My prediction: San Diego outgains New England by 300 yards and has the lead in the final minute. But the Patriots, thanks to a pass that deflects off the umpire's right forearm and into Deion Branch's hands goes for a touchdown, a surprise onside kick by the Chargers returned for a New England score, a screen pass by Philip Rivers to Ryan Mathews that falls to the ground -- but traveled perfectly lateral to the LOS -- and is returned for a score by the ghost of Tedy Bruschi, win the game after Rivers trips while attempting to kneel on the ball. Patriots win, 33-32. So I guess that means I'll take San Diego.

Locks of the Week

Chicago @ New Orleans (-6.5): I love this line if it stays under a touchdown. The Saints could still be the best team in the league while I don't have much faith in the Bears. This game, to me, is the perfect storm of bets. The Falcons have been severely overrated, the Bears were overrated, and Chicago won a somewhat fluky game at home against the Falcons. The Saints, meanwhile, lost on the road to the Super Bowl champs. All the elements are in place to have a line that is way too Bears-friendly, and that's the case here. New Orleans wins going away, maybe by as much as 20 points. (Note that this was written before the surprising passing of Brian Urlacher's mother; thoughts and prayers go out to the Urlachers.)

Green Bay @ Carolina (+10): One obvious takeaway from week 1 is that the good teams are going to be really good. The league pushed parity through the front door with a hard salary cap, and drove parity kicking and screaming through the garage with the pass-friendly rules changes. A pass heavy team is now nigh unstoppable, and there are certain lines that just can't go high enough. Now, let's put last week in perspective: the Packers went up against perhaps the most accurate quarterback in football, while the Panthers went up against perhaps the worst pass defense in the league. I suspect the Green Bay pass D -- #3 last year in NY/A allowed, and #2 in points and yards allowed -- will make life much tougher for Cam Newton, and Cam Newton will make life much easier for Green Bay. If that fails, the Packers can still score at will. Looking at Green Bay's schedule before the bye (@Chi, Den, @Atl, Stl, @Min) makes me think Vegas will struggle trying to set lines up enough to entice action on the other side. Take the Packers and just pray against a backdoor cover.

Thoughts?

Really like the Colts at home this weekend. It does not help that CLE was at home and lost to CIN. Houston's defense is a little underrated (so some overreaction to IND beat-down on the road), so I'll go with the home dog and the points.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really like the Colts at home this weekend. It does not help that CLE was at home and lost to CIN. Houston's defense is a little underrated (so some overreaction to IND beat-down on the road), so I'll go with the home dog and the points.
This is one of the easiest games left on the schedule, so for the Colts sake, I hope they can take it. If they lose, it's going to be a long year (and Pit and @TB the next two weeks won't be so pretty).

A look at past Superbowl champs going on the road Week 2 after their home opener:

2004: Patriots 23, Cardinals 12 (NE -8)

2005: Patriots 17, Panthers 27 (NE -3)

2006: Steelers 0, Jaguars 9 (Pit -2.5)

2007: Colts 22, Titans 20 (Ind -7)

2008: Giants 41, Rams 17 (NYG -8.5)

2009: Steelers 14, Bears 17 (Pit -3)

2010: Saints 25, 49ers 22 (NO -4.5)

Make from this what you will

I don't think that you're putting enough thought in the offensive lineman/defensive lineman matchups. Don't see any mention in any blurb written there.

If you are thinking about these games and don't give any thought to how much of a liability Andy Levitre is or how quick Henry Melton is, or if you came into the opener handicapping the game and you didn't have a strong opinion on what would happen between Carl Nicks and BJ Raji you probably have been watching football wrong. You gotta seriously know these guys in the trenches. The coaches know these guys and study them and strategize to exploit everything that they can plus they have better film than you. However you can see the oline/dline pretty well every play so the info is there, you just have to figure out if you still love football if it comes down to watching Jason Smith continue to be a bust snap after snap. The players not in the trenches make their movements based on the keys they are picking up from watching the LOS and if they aren't picking up the keys they probably aren't going to be on the field long, so understanding what's going on in there will help you better utilize your stats on things like Matt Ryan's accuracy numbers throwing on the move. And if you can identify a mismatch that is going to mean Matt Ryan will be moved off of his spot in the pocket and have to throw on the run you will find point spreads to pound. I don't want to oversimplify things, but Matt Ryan can't throw well on the move at all and the Falcons lose games because of it.

You do all this research, put all this time and effort and thought into the game, and watch countless hours of football... but can you describe Davin Joseph's game and tell me what type of player he struggles against? Doubtful, but you can probably tell me what Santonio Holmes does after a touchdown as a celebration. Can't really blame that on the media, they show the LOS pretty well every play. If I asked you who the best young dirty OT in the league is would you even think of Duane Brown? I'm not saying that everything I think about players is right, but if I am going to watch a 3 hour game I'm coming away with some sort of analysis on the 10 hogmollys I just watched for 100+ snaps. I don't think many people watch the game like that, but I think the betting lines are constructed for those people that don't really pay attention.

I keep little notes on most of the games I watch College and NFL. It could just be 1 or 2 little things that help me 3 years down the road... so when the Browns sign Oniel Cousins I know some things about him as a player and can think about how he affects the game with his absolutely terrible balance in pass protection. So I'm not trying knock what you're doing now, but I'm telling you that you need to think about changing the way you are watching the games if you want to expand your insight and build on what you already have.

I have not really looked over this weeks lines yet, I'm still in the process of watching all the games. I am curious to see the HOU/IND game, and I'll probably tell you what I think of the HOU/MIA game after that. I suspect that JJ Watt and Johnathan Joseph are a very big upgrade to that defense, which means I think the line could be off.

'Chase Stuart said:
Kansas City @ Detroit (-9): Nine points is a lot for Detroit to give: the Lions haven't been favored by as much as a touchdown since week 17 of the 2000 season. On the other hand, most of those games were started by someone other than Matthew Stafford. The Lions had a very difficult schedule in 2010, while the Chiefs had an easy one; as a result, Detroit's SRS grade was 2.6 points higher than Kansas City's in 2010. Tack on HFA, and a line of 9 isn't unreasonable given what we saw in week one. Jamaal Charles indoors could be scary, but I don't like anything that's going on in Kansas City. The Lions should win this one easily -- although I can't say I'm not frightened at the prospect of taking the Lions.

E.Berry gone for the year adds to my Lion's optimism.

Philadelphia @ Atlanta (+1.5): Last year, the Falcons had the better SRS grade. But the 2010 Falcons weren't all that good at anything, other than winning the turnover battle (+14, 3rd best). The Falcons ranked in the bottom half of the league in net yards per attempt, net yards per attempt allowed, rushing yards per attempt allowed and rushing yards per carry. Until the oddsmakers treat the Falcons like a .500 team, take their opponent each week. Yes, Michael Vick returns to the scene of the crime, a headline that will dominate the Sunday night telecast. Just know that the Eagles are a lot better than the Falcons, and will prove it in spades.

Turner should be able to run over, through and around this defense. Agree that the Falcons are not as good as everyone thinks, but I could see this one being close. I just wouldn't want to bet on it is all.

Oakland @ Buffalo (-3.5): The third of the West to East games, but the league put the screws to Al Davis in this one. The Raiders will take the field in Orchard Park roughly 5.5 days after Oakland's game ended against the Broncos. I think the Bills could be the breakout team of 2011, so I'm not going to sweat essentially a neutral line against the Raiders. The SRS says the Bills were 4.5 points worse than Oakland last season, so this line is still a decently-sized departure from that. But Buffalo finished last in the league in turnover margin last year and will do better in 2011. This isn't a great line, but I see the Bills more juiced up for a home opener than they've been in years. The only reason this is a lean game? The Raiders are a great running team, and the Bills have had the worst rushing defense in football the past two seasons.

Bills D line looks night and day after the M. Darius addition. I go Buffalo easy on the east coast.

Seattle @ Pittsburgh (-14.5) - I would never lay over 2 TDs on any NFL game, especially on a team that just got destroyed. I won't touch this game.

Kansas City @ Detroit (-9) - I like this one, KC is in shambles & Detroit is red hot. I'm on Detroit with you.

Dallas @ San Francisco (+3) - I'll pass on this one, Dallas on the road against another team with a better defense. If I had to I would go with Dallas.

Houston @ Miami (+3) - IMO Houston wins this one on paper, I agree it should be close. I'll pass, if I had to I would go with Houston.

Philadelphia @ Atlanta (+1.5) - There are a few teams I would pick Philly against, Atlanta isn't one of them. I'm with you on Philly.

St. Louis @ New York Giants (-5.5) - You said it perfectly, I'm on NYG with you. (If you get there.)

ETA: Out of time, 1 more.

Baltimore @ Tennessee (+5.5) - My favorite game this week, the team that just destroyed the AFC champs vs the team that just lost to Jax. I'm all over Baltimore twice.

not really important, but the bears/falcons game wasnt "fluky". they destroyed the falcons.

That being said, the Saints have had a lot of time to prep for the Bears and will be up for their home opener. Saints 31, Bears 21

'Chase Stuart said:
Vegas is trying to illicit action on the Seahawks
e·lic·it   /ɪˈlɪsɪt/ [ih-lis-it] verb (used with object)

to draw or bring out or forth; educe; evoke: to elicit the truth; to elicit a response with a question.

il·lic·it   /ɪˈlɪsɪt/ [ih-lis-it]

adjective

not legally permitted or authorized; unlicensed; unlawful.

I am not buying the Steelers assumed bounce back to dominance here. A line of 14.5 is reserved for an elite team (maybe the best in the league) that is high scoring playing against maybe the worst team in the league. I'm not sure any of those things have been proven to be true here.

I think some people are hoping for the "extra motivated to prove people wrong" angle, but all I've heard from everyone since Sunday is how bad the Steelers are going to beat Seattle. The Steelers themselves that I heard talk were dismissing it as every break going against them. If they play like they did against Baltimore, they will lose outright, I don't care who they play or what breaks even out. They have serious Oline problems and their defense looked average at best.

Not the kind of stuff that should lead to one of the 10 biggest lines you'll see in the NFL this season.

Anyway, I agree with your 2 locks this week. :thumbup:

I am not buying the Steelers assumed bounce back to dominance here. A line of 14.5 is reserved for an elite team (maybe the best in the league) that is high scoring playing against maybe the worst team in the league. I'm not sure any of those things have been proven to be true here.

I think some people are hoping for the "extra motivated to prove people wrong" angle, but all I've heard from everyone since Sunday is how bad the Steelers are going to beat Seattle. The Steelers themselves that I heard talk were dismissing it as every break going against them. If they play like they did against Baltimore, they will lose outright, I don't care who they play or what breaks even out. They have serious Oline problems and their defense looked average at best.

Not the kind of stuff that should lead to one of the 10 biggest lines you'll see in the NFL this season.

Yes yes yes... but:10 of Seattle's last 17 games... TEN OF SEATTLE'S LAST SEVENTEEN GAMES... have ended with Seattle losing by more than 14.5 points.

Seven of Seattle's last nine road games have ended with Seattle losing by more than 14.5 points.

Seattle on the road, on the east coast? 14.5 is not a big line and reflects the uncertainty with Pittsburgh. If this was the 2010 Steelers, the appropriate line would be 18 or 19, IMO.

Yes yes yes... but:10 of Seattle's last 17 games... TEN OF SEATTLE'S LAST SEVENTEEN GAMES... have ended with Seattle losing by more than 14.5 points.

Seven of Seattle's last nine road games have ended with Seattle losing by more than 14.5 points.

Seattle on the road, on the east coast? 14.5 is not a big line and reflects the uncertainty with Pittsburgh. If this was the 2010 Steelers, the appropriate line would be 18 or 19, IMO.
Seattle is the grossest thing ever.

Users who are viewing this thread