What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What Generation do you consider yourself? (1 Viewer)

What Generation do you consider yourself?

• Generation Alpha

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Generation Z

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Millennial

Votes: 15 10.1%
  • Generation X

Votes: 116 78.4%
  • Baby Boomer

Votes: 15 10.1%
  • Silent Generation

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters

jamny

Footballguy
I posed the question like I did because there are always varied dates for generations. I was born in '64 and I've seen some go back to '61 for Gen X and others actually getting specific and saying second half of '64. But I have always considered myself GenX. I've never felt any connection with Boomers but actually have friends my age that seem more aligned with them, so I am right on the cusp.
I've been listening to the audiobook for The Fourth Turning. I've always wanted to check out the book but only now have gotten around to it. It's pretty fascinating, especially considering it was written 25 years ago. There are some very eerie and accurate predictions in it. I don't buy into it 100% but find it to be really interesting.
Anyway, I did a search and saw that a poll like this hasn't been posted yet, at least from the results I found. I actually think I might have posted one many years ago...lol
Interested to see the results.

I posed the question like I did because there are always varied dates for generations. I was born in '64 and I've seen some go back to '61 for Gen X and others actually getting specific and saying second half of '64. But I have always considered myself GenX. I've never felt any connection with Boomers but actually have friends my age that seem more aligned with them, so I am right on the cusp.
I've been listening to the audiobook for The Fourth Turning. I've always wanted to check out the book but only now have gotten around to it. It's pretty fascinating, especially considering it was written 25 years ago. There are some very eerie and accurate predictions in it. I don't buy into it 100% but find it to be really interesting.
Anyway, I did a search and saw that a poll like this hasn't been posted yet, at least from the results I found. I actually think I might have posted one many years ago...lol
Gen x is technically 65-80, boomer

Gen x is technically 65-80, boomer
Actually, as a micro-generation, I fall under Generation Jones but I didn't want to delve that deep.
I had the youngest parents among my friends, so I think that's why I have always felt more Gen X. A lot of my friend's parents were older and more traditional and they have grown to be more old fashioned. My parents were Americanized early (coming from Germany) and didn't really hold on to much German tradition, choosing to embrace American culture in almost every way.

Many consider the Kennedy assassination in 1963 as a turning point to a new generation.

Technically I'm a late-period boomer but I've been sick of them and their #### for pretty much my whole life.

I've pretty much found myself sick of every generation save the more rational ones from Gen Z. If only they would put down their phones and embrace free speech, they'd be far and away my favorites. I think the kids are alright, all things considered. They just treat each other better than their predecessors without the self-hagiography, it seems.

Or I could be wildly off.

But I hear you about the Boomers. Culture has always ebbed and flowed with their desires and wants. Every pressing situation to a Boomer must be your pressing situation or frame of reference. Their Overton window is yours. Sick of that.

By the way, I would consider myself Generation X for sure. I'm at the tail end, but pretty much demographically a Gen X'er.

Did you ever battle with Wikkid about that? He very much embraced his Boomerism.
He & I went a few rounds over it, though he would admit Boomer flaws. He just thought we had less flaws than those that came after us. Where we could never agree was that I think that - if it's a theoretical given that subsequent generations are even messier than the Boomers - Boomers are the reason for it. He thought I was crazy.

Where we could never agree was that I think that - if it's a theoretical given that subsequent generations are even messier than the Boomers - Boomers are the reason for it. He thought I was crazy.

Hey, I might have something to add. I hit him up about this many times. We often discussed it, disagreeing with each other.

He thought Boomers were responsible for the next generation's problems, but that it was necessary that the Boomers "broke all the toys" that we were to play with ("breaking all the toys" meant shattering the older expectations and "playing with" meant what to do with the world as each generation received it). His problem was that the Boomers had gotten self-interested and left us to pick up the broken, useless pieces without guidance, and therefore, our output left a lot to be desired.

In a way, he was blaming the previous generations for the state of the world the Boomers inherited. He didn't attribute too many flaws to the generations that followed; he just thought they had little to offer because nobody had picked up the toys that Boomers had broken and reconstructed a world for the next generations to have. But he believed the breakage was necessary given the world they inherited.

I heard him use the toy phrase several times with respect to this, actually.

Hey, I might have something to add. I hit him up about this many times. We often discussed it, disagreeing with each other.

He thought Boomers were responsible for the next generation's problems, but that it was necessary that the Boomers "broke all the toys" that we were to play with ("breaking all the toys" meant shattering the older expectations and "playing with" meant what to do with the world as each generation received it). His problem was that the Boomers had gotten self-interested and left us to pick up the broken, useless pieces without guidance, and therefore, our output left a lot to be desired.

In a way, he was blaming the previous generations for the state of the world the Boomers inherited. He didn't attribute too many flaws to the generations that followed; he just thought they had little to offer because nobody had picked up the toys that Boomers had broken and reconstructed a world for the next generations to have. But he believed the breakage was necessary given the world they inherited.

I heard him use the toy phrase several times with respect to this, actually.
You have it right. I both misremembered and misspoke.

I do distinctly recall him blaming later generations for not building on what Boomers left them, while I think that we outright screwed them. Those aren't two completely opposed thoughts, but they don't necessarily go hand-in-hand either.

You have it right. I both misremembered and misspoke.

My contribution to the thread hopefully has not so much to do with correction of what you were saying but more to do with clarification. As you so aptly put it, those aren't two completely opposed thoughts that you guys had.

I just remember his "breaking the toys" analogy because it was evocative. We had our battles about it. I remember in one of the '70s music threads that I posted Daft Punk blowing themselves up in a video announcing their break-up as an example of our generation's artistic endeavors given our inherited worldview. I forget what context it was in, but Pip liked it, and it was a rare moment I could sorta "gotcha" wikkid about the generational divide. Wish I could remember what thread or where to find it.

Very late boomer ('63) but I feel a bit more connected to X (and hope I don't exhibit too many "OK Boomer"-inspiring qualities)

Very late boomer ('63) but I feel a bit more connected to X (and hope I don't exhibit too many "OK Boomer"-inspiring qualities)
Neil Howe, who has written many books on generations, and coined the term Millennial, considers Gen X to have started in 1961.
Link

eta: He and his late co-author consider X to be Thirteeners or 13th Gen, which never caught on. It's a reference to the 13th Generation since the American Revolution, something that has significance in their theories on historic cycles.

Last edited:

There were no presidents born during the Silent Generation (1928-45) until Joe Biden took office. I don't remember any articles about this but maybe that's just because they're so silent; unlike the boomers who blather endlessly about themselves.
So Trump is a boomer, you don't say.

Users who are viewing this thread