What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What Happened to Aaron Brooks? (1 Viewer)

Red Apples

Footballguy
Fires a Reminder: What Happened to Aaron Brooks? Sign In to E-Mail or Save This Print Reprints ShareDel.icio.usDiggFacebookNewsvinePermalink By WILLIAM C. RHODENPublished: October 27, 2007Early yesterday afternoon, the National Football League announced that it had agreed to allow the San Diego Chargers to play at home tomorrow, as scheduled, in Qualcomm Stadium. Although the San Diego mayor told the N.F.L. as early as Thursday that the game could be played, the league took an extra day, deciding it was better to err on the side of caution. “Going through New Orleans and Katrina underscored the necessity to make sure you’re talking to all the people who may be impacted,” said Ray Anderson, executive vice president for football operations for the N.F.L. “From local and state government officials, to the participating teams, to the players and their families — and you have to consider the fans.”These wildfires in San Diego County, the relocation, the loss of property and lives all brought back memories of Hurricane Katrina; those memories, in turn, made me think of Aaron Brooks and the 2005 New Orleans Saints.Brooks was the starting quarterback for the Saints in that dreadful season, when everyone’s world was turned upside down. He got himself in hot water by complaining that the N.F.L. and the Saints’ owner had been lax in helping the team cope with a horrendous natural disaster.Brooks was released by the Saints after the 2005 season, when they went 3-13. He played in Oakland last season behind the worst offensive line in recent football history. So I thought Brooks had simply retired, disillusioned with the game. I figured he walked away and was living happily ever after with his wife and their daughter. Not exactly. “First and foremost, I definitely want to play,” Brooks said Thursday night from his home in Richmond, Va. “I am not retired. I’m not hanging up my shoes up.” If that’s the case, why isn’t he playing? With quarterbacks dropping right and left, and replacements like the 43-year-old Vinny Testaverde being taken out of the mothballs, I began to wonder why Brooks wasn’t on an N.F.L. roster. At 31, Brooks is still young by quarterback standards, and the handful of general managers I spoke with since Wednesday agreed that he was above average. So why? Brooks’s friends and family ask the same question. “They ask, ‘Why aren’t you playing?’” Brooks said. “They see all of these quarterbacks getting injured and want to know: ‘Why aren’t you getting calls? Why aren’t you in camp?’ I don’t know what to say, but yeah, it hits me from time to time.“I don’t know. Is it something I said?” Could be.Brooks may still be serving time for the comments he made in 2005 when the Saints, like New Orleans itself, were demoralized by unimaginable upheavals caused by Katrina. The Saints split their home schedule between Baton Rouge, La., and San Antonio, where the team set up temporary headquarters. They worked out on a high school practice field, used a high school baseball locker room and lifted weights in a makeshift exercise room in a tent in a nearby parking lot. Then the team was displaced from its headquarters by an N.C.A.A. volleyball tournament.Brooks had had enough. During an interview with CBS, he blasted the N.F.L. and the Saints’ owner, Tom Benson, pointing out that for someone who stands to make $600 million from the sale of the team, “I don’t think a couple million would hurt to make his team feel very comfortable every week.” Brooks added: “And for those who don’t understand, come down here to San Antonio and see what our conditions are like. It’s just bad.” Brooks said he felt the league politicized the Saints’ “home opener” at Giants Stadium and was angry when he saw Commissioner Paul Tagliabue and officials from New Orleans and New York City on the field before that game. He felt Tagliabue should have visited the Saints’ players in the weeks after the hurricane. In retrospect, Brooks’s criticisms in 2005 might have played a small part in the N.F.L.’s approach to the Southern California wildfires, if nothing else, by making the league conscious about putting players’ well-being first. On the other hand, I have no doubt that Brooks’s stinging criticisms played a role in his difficulty in returning to the N.F.L. “I can’t really think about that,” Brooks said. “All I know is that I watch the tube every Sunday and I miss the hell out of the game.” I’m not making the case that Brooks is the second coming of Johnny Unitas or Joe Montana; his career has been marked by high highs and bizarre lows. Brooks had better realize that if he wants back in, he’ll have to assume an unfamiliar mantle of humility and (gulp) gratitude. On the other hand, the gate keepers and decision makers should forget Brooks’s public criticisms of an owner and of the commissioner. Everyone involved with Hurricane Katrina should be granted amnesty for anything said and done during the 2005 season.Unprecedented circumstances deserve unprecedented levels of forgiveness and understanding. Aaron Brooks should be able to pull his career from the ashes as well.

“First and foremost, I definitely want to play,” Brooks said Thursday night from his home in Richmond, Va. “I am not retired. I’m not hanging up my shoes up.”

If that’s the case, why isn’t he playing? With quarterbacks dropping right and left, and replacements like the 43-year-old Vinny Testaverde being taken out of the mothballs, I began to wonder why Brooks wasn’t on an N.F.L. roster. At 31, Brooks is still young by quarterback standards, and the handful of general managers I spoke with since Wednesday agreed that he was above average.So why?

:confused:

I get the feeling there would be a handful of soon-to-be unemployed NFL GMs if the author released the names of these general managers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everybody has film of that play where- backed up on the 5-10 yard line- he underhands the ball directly to a defensive player for a TD. One of the worst plays by a QB, I've ever seen!!

Everybody still remembers him smiling after throwing INTs or his team getting beaten, granted. But he had some good years and I'd take him in a heartbeat over some of the laughable backups that are getting playing time right now.

"Running" QBs that arent already good passer dont work out, period.
Who would you rather have, Bollinger or Brooks? Tim Rattay or Brooks? Harrington or Brooks? Gray or Brooks? And how bad are the QBs behind say Cleo Lemon, or Gray. I don't even know who the Falcons have behind Harrington now that Leftwich is gone. There just seems to be somewhere he has to be better than who is there.

Long story short, million dollar arm, 10 cent brain, and no heart.

So he sits and waits. Most likely, his best opportunity is getting a call from Hollywood to play JJ in "Good Times: The Movie".

Dynomite!!!!

Look at his stats. From 01-04 seasons, he was one of the top 5-8 QB's in the league. The stats don't lie. Granted he may of made bad decisions, but he definitely produced for a few years.

2001..........26td's.........22INT.....1RushTD (6th in QB points)

2002..........27td's.........15INT.....2RushTD (6th in QB points)

2003..........24td's..........8INT......2RushTD (5th in QB points)

2004..........21td's.........16INT.....4RushTD (8th in QB points)

He might even be an upgrade for the Vikings right now.
If I were a GM I would play him over Tavaris Jackson and even sign him cheap over Jacksonville. Garrard with a high ankle sprain that may take over a month to heal and Quinn Gray has shown nothing that would intimidate another team.I would rather have Aaron Brooks than:Tavaris JacksonQuinn Gray (Not Garrard)Cleo LemonJoey Harrington (tied with Leftwich, but injured as well)

Long story short, million dollar arm, 10 cent brain, and no heart. So he sits and waits. Most likely, his best opportunity is getting a call from Hollywood to play JJ in "Good Times: The Movie". Dynomite!!!!
lol and true Anything to get his dumb a ss outta Richmond.

He's also Vick's cousin. Could be playing a part in it.

But like the other Steve Smith owners...I'd kill to have him chucking the rock instead of Carr. :lmao:

There are numerous qb's who shine for a while, and then go in the tank. Brooks just happens to be one of them, and someone is making it look like it was because of comments he made. They let him go in Pittsburgh, they let him go in NO, they let him go in Oakland.

McNown, Couch, Bledsoe, Plummer, Rob Johnson, O'Donell, Harbaugh, Weinke, Scott Mitchell, etc.

Brooks is a flawed talent; good runner, good arm, poor student and decision maker. There have been many like him.

You all say that now, but having had to suffer through watching him as a Saint's fan, I don't know if there is a more frustrating player to watch lead your team to defeat. Yes, lead a team to defeat. It's not how many fumbles or INT's this guy has, it's when. He single-handedly was able to be a top 5 statistical QB and completely dismantle a pretty talented New Orleans team to mediocrity all at once.

And smiled about it non-stop.....

There are numerous qb's who shine for a while, and then go in the tank. Brooks just happens to be one of them, and someone is making it look like it was because of comments he made. They let him go in Pittsburgh, they let him go in NO, they let him go in Oakland.McNown, Couch, Bledsoe, Plummer, Rob Johnson, O'Donell, Harbaugh, Weinke, Scott Mitchell, etc.Brooks is a flawed talent; good runner, good arm, poor student and decision maker. There have been many like him.
Brooks was never in Pittsburg. Brooks is a great talent. Great arm. Not a great decision maker. Yes, he single handedly lost some games for the Saints. But he also single handedly won some games in New Orleans. He had 2 poor seasons- the Katrina season and the Art Shell season. I think he should be on a roster. 123 TDs, 92 INTs in his career. Very, very solid for a backup QB.

There are numerous qb's who shine for a while, and then go in the tank. Brooks just happens to be one of them, and someone is making it look like it was because of comments he made. They let him go in Pittsburgh, they let him go in NO, they let him go in Oakland.McNown, Couch, Bledsoe, Plummer, Rob Johnson, O'Donell, Harbaugh, Weinke, Scott Mitchell, etc.Brooks is a flawed talent; good runner, good arm, poor student and decision maker. There have been many like him.
NcNown never shined. He sucked from the word go. Bledsoe was a very solid QB for awhile. Scott Mitchell had one good game that got him a big contract.

nola said:
Ozymandias said:
Brooks was never in Pittsburg. Brooks is a great talent. Great arm. Not a great decision maker. Yes, he single handedly lost some games for the Saints. But he also single handedly won some games in New Orleans. He had 2 poor seasons- the Katrina season and the Art Shell season. I think he should be on a roster. 123 TDs, 92 INTs in his career. Very, very solid for a backup QB.
My guess is that his ego isn't looking for "back-up QB" money. That would certainly be a factor as well. That and his f'n grin when he's killing drives.

twistd said:
Newslang said:
Who would you rather have, Bollinger or Brooks? Tim Rattay or Brooks? Harrington or Brooks? Gray or Brooks? And how bad are the QBs behind say Cleo Lemon, or Gray. I don't even know who the Falcons have behind Harrington now that Leftwich is gone. There just seems to be somewhere he has to be better than who is there.
:thumbup: Brooks isn't going to the Hall of Fame any time soon, but he should be on a roster.

hes made some of the dumbest decisions ive seen by a QB, he just isnt very smart on the field (probably off the field also considering his family).

If he burned to play, wouldn't he be with a CFL or even Arena league team? I think the issue is that he's on the downside of his career. If he wants to take backup money and play a backup role, he could get work. If he doesn't, he'll be former NFL QB Aaron Brooks. I mean, a team brought in Testaverde. Teams are pretty much desperate for QBs who know their role.

I think the connection to the Vick family hurts him as much as or more than anything he said.

As to taking him over Cleo Lemon, Miami is auditioning Cleo Lemon to determine if he should be brought back next year. I imagine that has pretty much come to an end and Beck will be in for week 10 or soon thereafter.

November 14, 2007, 03:02

Packers :: QB, RB, WR

Packers Work Out Six Free Agents On Tuesday

Bob McGinn, Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel - [Full Article]

The Green Bay Packers worked out free agents QB Aaron Brooks, QB Rohan Davey, WR Scott Burnoski, WR Antoine Burns, RB Aaron Pruitt and WR Johnny Quinn.
We have a sighting. :mellow:

he may not be the best passer in the world, but he made joe horn a star.compare that with the panthers, desparately trying to find someone good enough to make steve smith productive again.brooks isn't great, but he should be on a roster.

and calling aaron brooks a running QB is really accurate.

he never ran for more than 360 yards in a season.

he had 4 straight seasons of 3500+ yards passing and 20+ TDs.

i'd be mildly shocked if vince young ever came close to accomplishing that.

if you said aaron brooks was a bit mistake prone and not the best decision maker, that might be accurate, but he certainly had some gunslinger in him.

i don't think a team should pin their hopes and dreams on brooks, but he deserves a roster spot. although, i'm not so sure the vikings wouldn't be a playoff contender with brooks this season.

dtour77 said:

The Green Bay Packers worked out free agents QB Aaron Brooks, QB Rohan Davey, WR Scott Burnoski, WR Antoine Burns, RB Aaron Pruitt and WR Johnny Quinn.
We have a sighting. :goodposting:
Makes sense, seeing as how McCarthy is the only coach to have made him look like a halfway decent NFL quarterback.I think signing him as the #3 would not be the worlds worst move for the Packers.

Sounds like he has an agent that has written him off. Since he's not retired, he should still be under contract with an agency and the agent(s) should be making an effort to get this guy back on a roster.If Testeverde at 43 and Tim Hasselback can get on an NFL roster, Brook sshould be able to.

Free agent Aaron Brooks worked out for the Packers on Wednesday.

He was joined by, among others, ex-Cardinals QB Rohan Davey and WR Johnny Quinn. The Packers could be looking to add a third quarterback for the stretch run. Brooks has played in coach Mike McCarthy's system before.

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

dtour77 said:

We have a sighting. :thumbup:
Makes sense, seeing as how McCarthy is the only coach to have made him look like a halfway decent NFL quarterback.I think signing him as the #3 would not be the worlds worst move for the Packers.
I think it would make sense. Currently the team is only carrying 2 QBs, with Ruvell Martin the emergency #3.

Probably put Blackmon on the IR and sign Brooks to be #3.

If the unthinkable happened and Favre got hurt, McCarthy would take a lot of heat for not having a legitimate #3 on the roster.

Joe Horn made Aaron Brooks his stats. Put Aaron with an average bunch of WR's and he is just that- average.
Just playing Devil's advocate, but what has Joe Horn done without Aaron Brooks? Also, Brooks had 4 years in a row where he had 21 plus passing TDs, so he obviously was doing something right.

In retrospect, Brooks’s criticisms in 2005 might have played a small part in the N.F.L.’s approach to the Southern California wildfires, if nothing else, by making the league conscious about putting players’ well-being first.
;) Only if Brooks is also a time-traveler. The NFL had already dealt with one incident of Southern California wildfires prior to Hurricane Katrina. Of course, if he is a time-traveler, that opens up a whole new set of questions.

Users who are viewing this thread