What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is a fair deal for a top qb? (1 Viewer)

daboyz2313

Footballguy
I am in a 12 team league and we start 1 qb, 2rb's, 3wr's, te, k, and dst. 6pts for a TD and one point for every 25 passing yards. I like my team, but have not been getting production out of the QB position.

My team:

Qb: Derek Anderson, Marc Bulger

RB: Turner, Westbrook, Parker, and Stewart

Wr: Wayne, Moss, R. Brown, A. Gonzalez, and Chris Henry

Te: Dustin Keller

K: Robbie Gould

Dst: Panthers

- Some potential offers I was thinking of are: Turner and Stewart for P. Manning or Brees, Stewart for Rodgers, Stewart/Anderson for MJD/Orton.

-What do you guys think is a good deal for a top 5 qb? Thanks.

I traded farve/mclain for forte/pennington in a league with the same scoring. Not sure what you consider farve but hes better than your guys imo...

I traded Brees for Lynch a couple weeks back. Couple other players involved but this was the main part of the trade.

I would love to get Favre, but the guy who has him only has one qb and he never makes trades.
I would hope for a nice game out of parker next week and try and move him then.I did trade turner for brees in a dynasty league last week, but I had a little more depth than you at RB.

12 team, PPR, 4 pts for passing TDs

Just in time for the Week 4 games, I traded Cutler and Lloyd for Steve Smith and Ben Roth. Hope that helps assess value...

Redraft: probably a RB2 or WR1, depending on the scoring.

Dynasty: I'd give a lower RB1, WR1, or mid-high 1st, maybe even a high 1st depending on the scoring.

Redraft: probably a RB2 or WR1, depending on the scoring.Dynasty: I'd give a lower RB1, WR1, or mid-high 1st, maybe even a high 1st depending on the scoring.
:lmao:almost \threadI think the deals you are seeing above exemplify what I believe - few people will take a one for one for their star QB, but they will downgrade from a star QB to a QB 5-10 if you throw in a player.The best move for you would to upgrade your QB and downgrade elsewhere. I would not trade Turner straight up for a top QB as you would then be left with injured players at RB. You need to get a RB back if you give one up.

Last edited by a moderator:
depends on your league and how many teams there are but I would say a good RB2 or lower WR1. AFter last season in particular people reevaluated the value of QBs. They are a limited commodity--each NFL team only has 1, so getting a top 5 QB puts you in the top 60% in your 12 team fantasy league at that position.

I got Thomas Jones for Trent Edwards (the day before he got his bell rung).

I doubt this will help in your negotiations.

Buffaloes said:
I traded Brees for Lynch a couple weeks back. Couple other players involved but this was the main part of the trade.
That trade wouldnt even go through in my league, getting Brees for Lynch is a steal.

I offered Bobby Engram and LeRon McClain for Phillip Rivers to an owner who has three quality QBs. He countered with Aaron Rodgers for Reggie Wayne. I had to decline.

QBs, good ones, are way undervalued especially in trades.
I think you'll see opinions all over the place in this thread, because the question
What is a fair deal for a top qb in a league with 6pt passing TD's?
is completely different than
What is a fair deal for a top qb in a league with 4pt passing TD's?
In the former, which seems to be the kind the OP plays in, a top-tier QB can carry you into the playoffs with an otherwise mediocre team. You should expect a lot of value in return for a Cutler or Romo. On the other hand, especially in the 4pt passing TD leagues, the value of QB5 may not be all that much different than QB10, so you might not get much for your QB5.

a startable QB (top10 ish) is worth a RB2 or WR2 in most of my leagues.

another way to trade for an "upgrade" at QB is to package your backup QB + 1 player who has value to an owner. for example, i *upgraded* my QB by trading

David Garrard & Devin Hester for Jake Delhomme

Jake won me my game last week, had I been forced to play Garrard or Jason campbell i'd have lost by a few points, win win!

Buffaloes said:
That trade wouldnt even go through in my league, getting Brees for Lynch is a steal.
umm ok. Good to know. Perhaps your league values QBs a little more than mine? This trade also freed me up to make another that I may not have if I did not gain the depth at RB but that is neither here nor there. Judging by what many have said in this thread (ie trading a top QB for a low end RB1 high-end RB2), I'm feeling ok about the trade.

I think you'll see opinions all over the place in this thread, because the question
In the former, which seems to be the kind the OP plays in, a top-tier QB can carry you into the playoffs with an otherwise mediocre team. You should expect a lot of value in return for a Cutler or Romo. On the other hand, especially in the 4pt passing TD leagues, the value of QB5 may not be all that much different than QB10, so you might not get much for your QB5.
:headbang:

How does the difference between 6 & 4 point per passing TD change the value between QB5 & QB10?

I recently offered Warner, Roy Williams and Graham for Brees (He owns Rivers too) and Driver. He probably won't bite.

I'm in a start 2 qb PPR league 6 pts all tds, and have only Rodgers left at qb due to injuries so forced to due something

Have an offer of My choice of Manning, McNabb, or Favre

for

his choice of Fitz, TO, or Steve Smith.

Thinking of choosing Manning, and dont know which wr I'd rather not loose.

How does the difference between 6 & 4 point per passing TD change the value between QB5 & QB10?
:goodposting:

I'm in a start 2 qb league 6 pts all tds, and have only Rodgers left at qb due to injuries so forced to due somethingHave an offer of My choice of Manning, McNabb, or Favreforhis choice of Fitz, TO, or Steve Smith.Thinking of choosing Manning, and dont know which wr I'd rather not loose.
No matter how you cut it, you win - 2nd QB you can start who finishes top-10> top-10 WR1.That said, McNabb is your choice and Fitz or TO will be his.

really, ..... you like mcnabb over manning?? I figured Manning was the safest bet with only upside left, little risk of injury and this year, bye out of the way, and little threat of him being pulled weeks 15/16. You've got me thinking now.

I recently offered Warner, Roy Williams and Graham for Brees (He owns Rivers too) and Driver. He probably won't bite.
That's a fair trade, but why not ride out Warner? He's been great so far this year. Granted there's that whole injury prone thing, but no one can predict injuries. Plus, you get to keep Graham. But if you have a surplus of RB's, then I would try to make the same trade too.

I was offered, and accepted, Hines Ward for Matt Hasslebeck. I Was carrying 4qb's and needed help at Wr so it was a good trade for both teams.

Larger differential.Not only will a QB score a greater percentage of your team's fantasy points in this system, a QB5 will score more points than he otherwise would over a QB10 by 2 pts per TD. Don't feel much like number crunching right now, but I suspect the former gives a bigger overall value bump than the latter, though both do make a significant difference.

As a Brees/Cutler owner I made this offer in my league to the Lynch owner; he rejected it. A lot of times that's a factor of the league itself. While I think it's a fair trade from a value standpoint--there are limited rosters in this league and a lot of waiver wire play--so he's been able to play matchup QB's successfully while I've been able in other ways to ~try~ and shore up my RB production.

An owner in my league was fleeced; he gave Aaron Rodgers and "only" got Jamal Lewis.

The same owner previously wouldn't trade me Rodgers for a WR1.

:shrug:

An owner in my league was fleeced; he gave Aaron Rodgers and "only" got Jamal Lewis.The same owner previously wouldn't trade me Rodgers for a WR1. :lmao:
Similar situation. I offered Owens and Garrard for Eli and T Jones. The other owner has Jones as his 5th RB and Rivers as his other QB. His top WR is Desean Jackson, with Hester as his WR2 (start 2-3). He said no. I think many owners don't value WRs as much as RBs, no matter what. I mean, this trade would have done nothing but improve his starting line-up, but because he was giving up a RB and "only" getting back a (top-3) WR, he wanted no part of it.

That's a fair trade, but why not ride out Warner? He's been great so far this year. Granted there's that whole injury prone thing, but no one can predict injuries. Plus, you get to keep Graham. But if you have a surplus of RB's, then I would try to make the same trade too.
Warner has put up some nice numbers so far, but the whole retirement talk scared me. He is also a TO machine. I'd just like to have a little more stability at the position.

Warner has put up some nice numbers so far, but the whole retirement talk scared me. He is also a TO machine. I'd just like to have a little more stability at the position.
What do you think the combo of Warner and Leinart would get in a dynasty?

:lmao:
We're talking about the value of the QB versus other positions in determining trade value. Imagine a league with 100pt passing TD's -- do you see the difference then? The scoring of the passing TD's is very relevant to the OP's question.

:confused: How is that a good posting?Hypothetically, if QB5 and QB10 throw for the same yardage, but QB5 throws 30 TDs and QB10 throws 20, there's either a 60 or 40 point difference

So, in the 6/TD league, let's just say QB5 = 360 points, the QB 10 = 300

So, in the 4/TD league, let's just say QB5 = 340 points, the QB 10 = 300

Let's say a WR12 = 280 points, the WR20 = 220 points.

In the 6/TD league, QB5+WR20 = 580 points, the QB10+WR12 = 580 points. Essentially, the QB5 + WR 20 = QB10 + WR12

In the 4/TD league, QB5+WR20 = 560 points, the QB10+WR12 =580 points. In that league, you shouldn't give the QB10 and WR12 for QB5 + WR20.

Not a huge difference, but it is relevant.

I offered Greise, Wayne and Edwards for Rivers and the guy said he was insulted by my low-ball offer. Start 2 QB league.

:lmao: How is that a good posting?Hypothetically, if QB5 and QB10 throw for the same yardage, but QB5 throws 30 TDs and QB10 throws 20, there's either a 60 or 40 point difference

In the 6/TD league, QB5+WR20 = 580 points, the QB10+WR12 = 580 points. Essentially, the QB5 + WR 20 = QB10 + WR12

In the 4/TD league, QB5+WR20 = 560 points, the QB10+WR12 =580 points. In that league, you shouldn't give the QB10 and WR12 for QB5 + WR20.

That was not Chaka's point - the difference in value across POSITIONS when you go from 6>4 can be big. But, the difference in value of the QB10 versus the QB5 is not determined that way. Nor is it particularly relevant in trade discussions. The QB10 will hold the same value versus the QB5 regardless of what the TDs are worth. Changing QB TD values changes value of QBs as a whole versus other positions and it changes the value of running QBs.

This is VBD 101 stuff here. The classic example is making passing TDs worth 100 points. QBs become enormous versus other positions - not against each other.

What you are discussing above is comparing QB value versus other positions. It is relevant in that discussion, but not between QBs. And you don't go pure points as you have done above to evaluate trades - you evaluate your team as a whole.

:popcorn:
:confused: How is that a good posting?Hypothetically, if QB5 and QB10 throw for the same yardage, but QB5 throws 30 TDs and QB10 throws 20, there's either a 60 or 40 point difference

That was not Chaka's point - the difference in value across POSITIONS when you go from 6>4 can be big.
Well Chaka missed the point, and so did you, because that is EXACTLY what my quoted post was addressing.
But, the difference in value of the QB10 versus the QB5 is not determined that way. Nor is it particularly relevant in trade discussions.
Yes, it is very relevant.
This is VBD 101 stuff here. The classic example is making passing TDs worth 100 points. QBs become enormous versus other positions - not against each other.

What you are discussing above is comparing QB value versus other positions. It is relevant in that discussion, but not between QBs.
It is a basic VBD issue, yet you seem to be arguing both sides of it for some reason. I pointed out that the value of passing TD's makes a difference when you are talking about the worth of QB versus other positions.

Chaka questions how that changes the value of a QB5 vs a QB10.

The answer is obvious, as you agree, yet you give the question a :heart:

Then you use my example to make your point?

Go back and read the original post, I think you've lost the original question. The focus was never on straight up QB for QB deals.

Users who are viewing this thread