What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What kind of WINE did you drink last night? (1 Viewer)

I took my wife, her parents and our neighbor friend to visit @Buc in Exile at his family's terrific Bells Up Winery.  What a splendid experience and unbelievably terrific wines.  Buc spent about an hour and half with us in his tasting room which had just incredible views.  His story of going from a tax attorney in Ohio to a winemaker in Oregon is so inspiring.  He and his wife produce about 600 cases a year and I'm happy to say I'm a new owner of one mixed case.  I'm a big Rose drinker and his is delicious.  My wife is a pinot noir drinker and LOVED the ones he poured us, so we scooped up some Rose, Pinot Noir and his Syrah, which was also delicious.  

If you are ever in the Willamette Valley looking for a spot to sample wines, Bells Up should be your first stop.  Call Buc's very friendly wife, make an appointment and sip some excellent wines while you get an education about the industry and a back story that it is just so neat.  I could have stayed there all day talking to him.  

Thank you, friend.  It was great to meet you and I need to come back soon to get my wine!  I left my phone at home, so I can' text you, but if possible, could I come get it today?  

Cheers,
GM

I took my wife, her parents and our neighbor friend to visit @Buc in Exile at his family's terrific Bells Up Winery.  What a splendid experience and unbelievably terrific wines.  Buc spent about an hour and half with us in his tasting room which had just incredible views.  His story of going from a tax attorney in Ohio to a winemaker in Oregon is so inspiring.  He and his wife produce about 600 cases a year and I'm happy to say I'm a new owner of one mixed case.  I'm a big Rose drinker and his is delicious.  My wife is a pinot noir drinker and LOVED the ones he poured us, so we scooped up some Rose, Pinot Noir and his Syrah, which was also delicious.  

If you are ever in the Willamette Valley looking for a spot to sample wines, Bells Up should be your first stop.  Call Buc's very friendly wife, make an appointment and sip some excellent wines while you get an education about the industry and a back story that it is just so neat.  I could have stayed there all day talking to him.  

Thank you, friend.  It was great to meet you and I need to come back soon to get my wine!  I left my phone at home, so I can' text you, but if possible, could I come get it today?  

Cheers,
GM
Thank you for the very kind review GB GM - it was a pleasure meeting you all and I'm so glad you enjoyed the visit!  Next time maybe it'll be a reasonable temperature outside and we'll sip out on the porch.

Today for pickup should be fine.  My last tasting ends at 2 so any time after that is good - if you get a chance to PM me when you think you'll be by that would be great just because I don't normally stay in the building unless I have work or a tasting appointment.  In that case, come on down to the green house just past the winery.

Cheers!

Thank you for the very kind review GB GM - it was a pleasure meeting you all and I'm so glad you enjoyed the visit!  Next time maybe it'll be a reasonable temperature outside and we'll sip out on the porch.

Today for pickup should be fine.  My last tasting ends at 2 so any time after that is good - if you get a chance to PM me when you think you'll be by that would be great just because I don't normally stay in the building unless I have work or a tasting appointment.  In that case, come on down to the green house just past the winery.

Cheers!
Let's do this - pick a day this week that works best for you and I'll come out around 2?  It's pretty f'n hot today and I have a few errands to run after work.  I'd hate to have that wine sit out for any length of time.  Weather also cools off tomorrow, blessedly.  

Thanks GB! 

Let's do this - pick a day this week that works best for you and I'll come out around 2?  It's pretty f'n hot today and I have a few errands to run after work.  I'd hate to have that wine sit out for any length of time.  Weather also cools off tomorrow, blessedly.  

Thanks GB! 
PM sent

Buc in Exile said:

Cheers!
Jealous. Had this booked before COVID hit

So just bought a new house and the seller left some wine that was his father's in the basement. All in a cool basement on its side. I haven't gone through it all yet, but at first glance it is from France from the 1970s. What's the first step here? Wife and I enjoy drinking wine but aren't collectors. Any chance these are worth something or are they just vinegar at this point? TIA

So just bought a new house and the seller left some wine that was his father's in the basement. All in a cool basement on its side. I haven't gone through it all yet, but at first glance it is from France from the 1970s. What's the first step here? Wife and I enjoy drinking wine but aren't collectors. Any chance these are worth something or are they just vinegar at this point? TIA
Seems highly unlikely that they're worth anything to a collector but just in case I'd Google the labels and see what comes up.

Even if they won't cover your next mortgage payment, there's the possibility that they aren't vinegar either.  There's practically no chance they will get better than they are right now so I'd pop one cork at a time and see what happens.  Given their age, you MAY need to let the reds sit open for an hour or so to breathe as they haven't seen oxygen since the Ford administration but with any luck at least one of the corks held up and the wines were consistently in that cooler environment.  Just pretend you're gold prospecting and enjoy the thrill of the dig!

Here are some of my faves...

Qupe Syrah ($15)

Ben Marco Malbec ($20)

BR Cohn Silver Label Cabernet ($25)
If you want a great value in Syrah I have one that I loveLos Planos Syrah

From the largest winery of Aragón.

They make about 6,000 cases a year and I have plenty of this in my collection. About 10 bucks a bottle. In it you will find blackberry, smoke, and white chocolate and a real forward, fruity, medium-body. Find this one and ENJOY!

Cabernet?

I will always be a fan of Staglin but my all time favorite Cab is from Washington. Quilceda Creek Cab is the best one, to me, that this country produces. The '02 cab I have is my ultimate baby. I also have one case left of the '97 Cab that I have cracked a few bottles but I am holding out a few more years. GOD I love this wine.

If you want some great value wines check out Sutton Table Wine. No more then 10-12 per bottle and he made Chardonnay, Merlot, and Pinot Noir. Sadly, with the high increase of Pinot Grapes he is not making the Pinot anymore since he can't keep the cost down. This was a great tasting AND inexpensive Pinot. Sure I have my '98 Grace Vineyard Pinot Noir from Domaine Serene that is my baby but I drank the Sutton quite often and had no problem drinking with the guy down the street who owns the liquor store that I think is one of the best in the upper midwest for wine. In fact he showed it to me about a year ago.

The Sutton Table Merlot is a blend of Merlot and Cab Franc which gives it a nice note of spiciness with chocolate and berries.

Try the Chardonnay because it's blended with a little Viognier.
We just found out about Quilceda Creek.

Amazing stuff.

I guess I’m in the next phase of life as I’ve been a stout beer snob for years, and although I still enjoy them maybe once or twice a month I’ve been gravitating towards red wines more. Been doing some experimenting including local (Jolo in Pilot Mountain NC) but so far “The Prisoner” is still my favorite. Any suggestions from people who like that?

I have been drinking way too much red wine lately. I don't even know how I got on such a big wine kick. I have not been drinking any... let's say... quality red wine but I'll be happy to report what I've been drinking as it may amuse you. And who knows, maybe I can become the cheap red wine expert on this thread.

So the wine I have probably been drinking the most is Woodbridge Merlot. I also get Woodbridge Cabernet Sauvignon and Pinot Noire as well. It's the Woodbridge tri-fecta. They are so freaking cheap it's ridiculous. Like $12-$14 for the big bottle. And they are, let's say, good enough for me.

There are a bunch of BotaBox wine's I drink. The most recent I've had was Nighthawk Black Dark Malbec. I've had many of their boxes like Merlot, Cab, Nighthawk Black (Red Blend), Redvolution.

The only wines I have been drinking that are not, say, budget wines are from an online store SECCO. They advertise that they make low-carb, low-sugar wines. I've been doing Keto so it is good if you are on a diet like that. They use dry farming which doesn't use irrigation. If you buy a 6 bottle bundle the cost isn't that much and I've never had a problem with shipping and delivery.

And if I go out to a restaurant I usually get a house Merlot. And every time I do it I laugh a little inside thinking about the rant from the movie Sideways about Merlot.

I will comment that, reading some of the earlier posts, my sister-in-law lives in the outskirts of Portland, OR and when my wife and I visit we have gone to a few Willamette valley vinyards but I don't know which ones. Unfortunately at the time I visited I wasn't much into reds so I didn't get to appreciate it. I would definitely enjoy it now.

Force Majeure

This place is cranking out great stuff.
They produce some amazing stuff. I'm a Somm so have visited a lot of producers in Oregon but have never made it that far north but plan to in the near future. You seem to drink a lot from that area as you're now into QC too.
Yep. We live in Seattle area so all the Washington stuff is very accessible with the tasting rooms in Woodinville.

The wife and a group of friends we started hanging with during pandemic are very into wine so we also have been taking trips to Walla Walla a lot.

On one of trips we got a bottle of Force Majeure at dinner then on next trip went to their place. Highly recommended when you go up.

Last edited:
When you go up to that area @Deamon I’m sure you will have a huge list of places to visit from your industry contacts but the ones we have really liked are: Force Majuere, Garrison Creek, Alton, Pepper Bridge, Woodward Canyon, and Dillon.

A lot of good food up there too. We have done this trip about 7-8 times so have collected some good info. Lemme know if you have any questions about the town / area.

Force Majeure

They produce some amazing stuff. I'm a Somm so have visited a lot of producers in Oregon but have never made it that far north but plan to in the near future. You seem to drink a lot from that area as you're now into QC too.
My little operation is in Newberg - give me a shout next time you're in the area.

Force Majeure

My little operation is in Newberg - give me a shout next time you're in the area.
I do remember this! We have not made a trip to Portland area but when we do will absolutely swing by.

When you go up to that area @Deamon I’m sure you will have a huge list of places to visit from your industry contacts but the ones we have really liked are: Force Majuere, Garrison Creek, Alton, Pepper Bridge, Woodward Canyon, and Dillon.

A lot of good food up there too. We have done this trip about 7-8 times so have collected some good info. Lemme know if you have any questions about the town / area.
Ya Walla Walla still top of my list and I don't know why I haven't made it there yet. I just love Oregon and have friends there so I tend to go there 1-2 times per year. I'm not familiar with Alton, Pepper, or Dillon but have worked with Woodward and Force. Gramercy is an obvious one I need to hit and am in love with their wines and what they're doing there.

Force Majeure

Nice, I try to hit Willamette once a year so have been to countless places. The wines, the people, the community, I absolutely love it there. I'll definitely reach out next time I'm around, thanks!

Drinking Twin Bear 2018 Cab. Made by Pursued By Bear place that the dude from original Twin Peaks is part of Kyle M something. Not bad.

On last trip out to Walla Walla we went up to little town called Waitsburg which was a bit of a boom town for wheat way back. Lots of nice brick empty buildings on a couple block stretch in middle of BFE.

Went to some restaurant our foodie friends wanted to try. Guy used to be a Seattle chef and bought the whole building out there.

The place just showed up on NY Times top 50 restaurant in US this week. Pretty cool.

Drinking a Slovenian orange wine.

Sanctum Leptir

Haven’t had an orange wine before. It’s different. I think I like it.
Ya they're super nerdy and went through a big trend quite a few years back, but it's died down. Basically is a white fermented on the skins.
I'm about as far from a wine nerd as you can get and not suprisingly a few years behind on any trend. LOL

A friend of mine just opened a wine shop, so it's been interesting trying some different wines that I hadn't had before.

Drinking Twin Bear 2018 Cab. Made by Pursued By Bear place that the dude from original Twin Peaks is part of Kyle M something. Not bad.

On last trip out to Walla Walla we went up to little town called Waitsburg which was a bit of a boom town for wheat way back. Lots of nice brick empty buildings on a couple block stretch in middle of BFE.

Went to some restaurant our foodie friends wanted to try. Guy used to be a Seattle chef and bought the whole building out there.

The place just showed up on NY Times top 50 restaurant in US this week. Pretty cool.
Just got back from Walla Walla picking up syrah grapes where I ran into this fun little issue: https://www.nwnewsnetwork.org/2023-...oric-marcus-whitman-hotel-federal-post-office. I wasn't planning to stay there but because the Whitman had to relocate all of their guests to other accommodations there were almost no rooms to be had in the area and the ones that were there tripled their prices. I had to pay $200 to stay at the Super 8. :cry:

Just got back from Walla Walla picking up syrah grapes where I ran into this fun little issue: https://www.nwnewsnetwork.org/2023-...oric-marcus-whitman-hotel-federal-post-office. I wasn't planning to stay there but because the Whitman had to relocate all of their guests to other accommodations there were almost no rooms to be had in the area and the ones that were there tripled their prices. I had to pay $200 to stay at the Super 8. :cry:
Wow, hadn’t heard about this. That sucks hard. There is that gas station right across the street. Not a ton of hotels there to begin with.

Hopefully this is contained.

Where did you pick up the grapes from?

Where did you pick up the grapes from?
Summit View Vineyard in Milton-Freewater. Just outside the Rocks District. I want a softer textured syrah that's more similar to the pinots I make so the elevation on that vineyard is perfect for us.

i've been drinking the Baby Bear Syrah for the last few vintages: really love the savory components in these wines, along w/ ample fruit.

i've been drinking the Baby Bear Syrah for the last few vintages: really love the savory components in these wines, along w/ ample fruit.
I’ll have to give that one a try. We picked up 4 bottles of their Cabs across a couple years and all have been good.

Hannah chardonnay. (Sonoma Alexander Valley) Was a good balanced wine. Visited the winery about 20 years ago as part of a business trip. Saw it in the local grocery store to give it a try.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread