What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What should commish do? (1 Viewer)

Dexter Manley

Footballguy
I'm in a league at foxsports.com. We did a live draft and all the players were entered into their teams later online. Well the divisions weren't set up correctly, and the only way to correct them was to start over and redo the draft. The draft was reentered last Wednesday afternoon. Emails were sent out notifying everyone (via foxsports) that the draft was taking place again. When this happens, the commish doesn't set everyone's lineups for them, obviously, so people had to reset them.

Well, the team with Peyton Manning never reset his lineup (he says he did it last week after the first draft), and had Trent Green as his starting qb last night. He accused his lineup of being shuffled, and he didn't check anything until after the game last night, and is now throwing a fit because Manning is on his bench, and wants him inserted into the starting lineup for this week. This all has taken place after the game last night.

His opponent is vehemently against allowing him to do this. A few years ago in this same league, this guy (the opponent of the Manning owner) claims he tried to change his lineup on a Saturday night with a dial up connection and insert 3 starters for guys with bye weeks on his team. He thought he was successful, and didn't look again until after the games had been played on Sunday and realized that none of his changes went through and the 3 players with bye weeks were kept in his starting lineup. He says he wasn't allowed to put them in, but in the end it didn't matter as he still won his game.

The team playing Manning is upset, and says that if Manning is allowed to be put into the starting lineup of his opponent for this week, after the game has been played, then he should have one mulligan that he can use at any time during the season -- that after the games have been played, he should be able to replace one player in his lineup with one from his bench one time only.

If you were commish, what would you do?

I commish two leagues. I would make the change and insert Manning. He's the #1 QB in the league, he was at home, against a horrible Saints Def, of course the guy meant to start him.

my 0.02

if you can't remember to set your lineup for the first game of the season you don't deserve any sympathy. It does require a minimal level of attention and participation.

The team playing Manning is upset, and says that if Manning is allowed to be put into the starting lineup of his opponent for this week, after the game has been played, then he should have one mulligan that he can use at any time during the season -- that after the games have been played, he should be able to replace one player in his lineup with one from his bench one time only.

As far as letting him start Manning this week, I'd have to think about that a little more, but my initial thought was that you should allow this. It's fairly obvious that a) the redraft thing caused his lineup to get screwed up, and b) if his 2 QB's are Manning and Green, he was definitely going to start Manning. It's not like the Dolphins played last night, Green threw for 3 TD's and now he's saying he "accidentally" left Manning in his starting lineup...Whatever you decide, however, I would NOT allow the bolded part above. This isn't a "mulligan" situation, and if you do allow this you will just be pissing off another owner to placate this one. No dice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd put him in. And if I was his opponent I'd tell you to put him in. His opponent is being a jerk.

I'm in a league at foxsports.com. We did a live draft and all the players were entered into their teams later online. Well the divisions weren't set up correctly, and the only way to correct them was to start over and redo the draft. The draft was reentered last Wednesday afternoon. Emails were sent out notifying everyone (via foxsports) that the draft was taking place again. When this happens, the commish doesn't set everyone's lineups for them, obviously, so people had to reset them.Well, the team with Peyton Manning never reset his lineup (he says he did it last week after the first draft), and had Trent Green as his starting qb last night. He accused his lineup of being shuffled, and he didn't check anything until after the game last night, and is now throwing a fit because Manning is on his bench, and wants him inserted into the starting lineup for this week. This all has taken place after the game last night.His opponent is vehemently against allowing him to do this. A few years ago in this same league, this guy (the opponent of the Manning owner) claims he tried to change his lineup on a Saturday night with a dial up connection and insert 3 starters for guys with bye weeks on his team. He thought he was successful, and didn't look again until after the games had been played on Sunday and realized that none of his changes went through and the 3 players with bye weeks were kept in his starting lineup. He says he wasn't allowed to put them in, but in the end it didn't matter as he still won his game.The team playing Manning is upset, and says that if Manning is allowed to be put into the starting lineup of his opponent for this week, after the game has been played, then he should have one mulligan that he can use at any time during the season -- that after the games have been played, he should be able to replace one player in his lineup with one from his bench one time only.If you were commish, what would you do?
It's the owners responsibility to ensure his lineup is set. Granted, NO ONE leaves Manning on the bench, but he's going to have to suck it up. In the league I commish, I'd tell him lesson learned, apologize for the unfortunate loss of points, and he better root hard for Trent because the lineup isn't changing.

I'm not clear on a point or two so let me restate what you said and you clear up my confusion?

So the draft takes place the first time.

The owner set his lineup. Is there a transaction record on the website of who his lineup was?

Then the rosters are wiped and the commish redrafted everyone onto teams and told owners to reset their lineups.

You say the owner didn't set his lineup, but now say that he has Trent Green in there. If he didn't set a lineup, how does he have any players in there at all? Did all the players from his originally set lineup stay in there except for QB, where Trent Green suddenly started showing up out of the blue?

Yeah, all of this seems totally reasonable until Trent Green goes off for 400 yards and 5 TDs on Sunday.

:okaymaybenot:

My guess is Manning was his first or second round pick, which means a guaranteed start for the guy. If there was a question as to whether he would start him, this would be different, but that is clearly not the case.

Let the guy have his start.

You put manning in the starting lineup. He obviously drafted him to be the starter, not trent green. And the bigger thing is that you had to reset the league when he probably had manning in there. Maybe he didn't check his email after that because he had already set his lineup.

The guy put Manning into his lineup after the initial roster load and then didn't think anything of it after that. Heck, he didn't even read the email that said rosters were reloaded. The reload took place 1 DAY BEFORE THE GAMES STARTED. Manning should be in his starting lineup. How many times does he have to put him there?

I'm in a league at foxsports.com. We did a live draft and all the players were entered into their teams later online. Well the divisions weren't set up correctly, and the only way to correct them was to start over and redo the draft. The draft was reentered last Wednesday afternoon. Emails were sent out notifying everyone (via foxsports) that the draft was taking place again. When this happens, the commish doesn't set everyone's lineups for them, obviously, so people had to reset them.Well, the team with Peyton Manning never reset his lineup (he says he did it last week after the first draft), and had Trent Green as his starting qb last night. He accused his lineup of being shuffled, and he didn't check anything until after the game last night, and is now throwing a fit because Manning is on his bench, and wants him inserted into the starting lineup for this week. This all has taken place after the game last night.His opponent is vehemently against allowing him to do this. A few years ago in this same league, this guy (the opponent of the Manning owner) claims he tried to change his lineup on a Saturday night with a dial up connection and insert 3 starters for guys with bye weeks on his team. He thought he was successful, and didn't look again until after the games had been played on Sunday and realized that none of his changes went through and the 3 players with bye weeks were kept in his starting lineup. He says he wasn't allowed to put them in, but in the end it didn't matter as he still won his game.The team playing Manning is upset, and says that if Manning is allowed to be put into the starting lineup of his opponent for this week, after the game has been played, then he should have one mulligan that he can use at any time during the season -- that after the games have been played, he should be able to replace one player in his lineup with one from his bench one time only.If you were commish, what would you do?
It's the owners responsibility to ensure his lineup is set. Granted, NO ONE leaves Manning on the bench, but he's going to have to suck it up. In the league I commish, I'd tell him lesson learned, apologize for the unfortunate loss of points, and he better root hard for Trent because the lineup isn't changing.
Actually, that's probably a lie.I'd put Manning in for him ONLY if you fell 100% sure that the redraft caused the issue. However, the dude did have a WEEK to check, so I'd have to stick with my initial ruling.This is a tough situation! F him for causing such a thing to happen! HAHA

The way I understand this is that the Manning owner did have his lineup legal after the original draft. Due to some issue, the draft had to be redone and Manning didn't get inserted in the lineup. It seems it was relatively late notice and people do have lives. The Manning owner had set his lineup. Manning should be inserted into the lineup. The owner complaining needs to quit his #####ing.

I'm not clear on a point or two so let me restate what you said and you clear up my confusion?So the draft takes place the first time.The owner set his lineup. Is there a transaction record on the website of who his lineup was?Then the rosters are wiped and the commish redrafted everyone onto teams and told owners to reset their lineups.You say the owner didn't set his lineup, but now say that he has Trent Green in there. If he didn't set a lineup, how does he have any players in there at all? Did all the players from his originally set lineup stay in there except for QB, where Trent Green suddenly started showing up out of the blue?
After the first draft was entered manually, the Manning owner had him in the lineup. When the 2nd draft was entered manually, then random players were put in everyone's lineup, and he never reentered his lineup.Now Manning's opponent is bringing this up: he says what if Manning had a terrible night like Brees -- that would be negative points in our scoring system, and then he would be freerolling with Trent Green on Sunday.

As Commish you should have set starting lineups as they were before you muddled everything up. I'd put Manning in and take a public flogging.

I'd put him in. And if I was his opponent I'd tell you to put him in. His opponent is being a jerk.
This is the correct answer. He wasn't deciding between Green and Pennington. It's Peyton Manning. The opponent knows there's no way he meant to leave Manning on the bench and is being a weasel.

As Commish you should have set starting lineups as they were before you muddled everything up. I'd put Manning in and take a public flogging.
This is actually probably the way to go."Hey, he had Manning in before I screwed up. It's my fault he wasn't in the starting lineup, and so this confusion happened. I'm putting him back in, but the fault completely lies on me here. Sorry for the misunderstanding."That'll go a long way.

It will teach him to manage his team...Its the first game.. If you need a replacement let me know.. :ptts:

So if he said he put Manning in last week how did T. Green get inputed in to his lineup after the reset?

As far as letting him start Manning this week, I'd have to think about that a little more, but my initial thought was that you should allow this. It's fairly obvious that a) the redraft thing caused his lineup to get screwed up, and b) if his 2 QB's are Manning and Green, he was definitely going to start Manning. It's not like the Dolphins played last night, Green threw for 3 TD's and now he's saying he "accidentally" left Manning in his starting lineup...Whatever you decide, however, I would NOT allow the bolded part above. This isn't a "mulligan" situation, and if you do allow this you will just be pissing off another owner to placate this one. No dice.
I agree I wouldn't allow this against anyone, as someone else would get screwed during the season. But what about just this week? Would it be fair to give Manning's opponent one mulligan this week, since the Manning owner is basically getting a mulligan by being able to start Manning after the fact?

if you can't remember to set your lineup for the first game of the season you don't deserve any sympathy. It does require a minimal level of attention and participation.
Did you not read the thread? The guy had set his lineup but due to some fubar the rosters had to be reloaded and starting lineups reset. Manning should be in the guys lineup.Hindsight is 20/20 but the commish probably should've phoned the guys without starting lineups due to this roster reload. I know being in multiple leagues once I set a starting lineup I don't always think to check it again on gameday.

There's a saying on the craps table that "if it lays, it plays".

If you change this owners lineup, it opens the pandoras box for the Brees/Henderson/Deuce/Bush owner to say "I was going to bench him against that tough Indy D"

edit: WHATEVER you decide to do, DO NOT give that one owner playing against Manning a "mulligan" that he asked for.

another edit: brb, checking my rosters in all leagues

Well, the team with Peyton Manning never reset his lineup (he says he did it last week after the first draft), and had Trent Green as his starting qb last night. He accused his lineup of being shuffled, and he didn't check anything until after the game last night, and is now throwing a fit because Manning is on his bench, and wants him inserted into the starting lineup for this week. This all has taken place after the game last night.
Let me get this straight. He entered his lineup over a week ago and never looked at it again? Maybe it's just me (and I know it isn't) but I check my teams daily and go over my lineups several times prior to gametime each week. It is his duty to be sure he has the lineup he wants prior to kickoff.
No way you can do this. Period.One question: If the owner must reset his lineup after you redrafted how did he have a lineup entered at all? Every player would have been on his bench, correct?

Let me get this straight. He entered his lineup over a week ago and never looked at it again? Maybe it's just me (and I know it isn't) but I check my teams daily and go over my lineups several times prior to gametime each week. It is his duty to be sure he has the lineup he wants prior to kickoff.
Okay, this is becoming a common theme in here, and needs to be put to bed.Yes, WE check our lineups 15 times a week, and ten minutes before kickoff. You have to realize though, on the bell curve of fantasy football addiction, as a group, we're *way* on the right-hand side.Most people do set their lineups and forget about them until gametime. You shouldn't make it required that they check it fifteen times. That's ridiculous.

I generally rule in favor of common sense in these matters. There is no reason an owner WOULD NOT start Peyton Manning over Trent Green. If the owner did submit a lineup as stated, I don't see how you penalize him for not submitting it again. If he never submitted a lineup at all I may have a different opinion, but if at any point he did list Manning as his starter IMO he should be allowed to start him without penalty.

A similar thing happened to me last year on a Thurs game. Our league rules indicated that we had until Sunday noon to submit our lineups. The league rules also said that if a lineup was not submitted at that time that the starting lineup from the previous week would be used. The week of Thanksgiving we were emailed by the commish to at a minimum insert anyone we wanted to play in the Thurs games into our lineups as we would not be able to use them once the games had started.

During the early Thanksgiving Day game (with the Lions), I submitted my lineup for the week. My opponent insisted that that since I did not submit a lineup by game time that I needed to use my lineup from the week before. The problem was that the week before I started Kevin Jones who got hurt in that game and now was out. I submitted my lineup like 10 minutes into the Lions game (with no one from that game in my lineup). This caused shock waves that still haven't fully settled down, but ultimately it was determined that I had the right to start anyone I wanted as I did not miss the Sunday noon deadline. (The rules have since been modified to make lineup submissions crystal clear.)

Bottom line, people will look to grill people for reasons that have no basis in logic or common sense.

Similar thing happened to me last year (computer glitch). My opponent told the commish. to put in my regular starting line-up. I play ff with a group of nice but competitive owners. I guess that's why I am stilll involved.

Unlike the second case the fault was not the Manning owners. He had set a legal lineup before changes were made by the commish that changed his line up, just because he did not notice was not his fault.Also you have to consider the obvious choice Manning over Green. It was obvious that the owner would have chosen to start Manning over Green. He had set his lineup to reflect this then somebody else ( whatever the cause) changes his legally set lineup. You have to give him credit for the error on the commish's part.In the other case it was the other guy's fault he waited until the day of the games to change players that he knew had byes that week. He probably knew he would be on dialup, he definitely knew his players had bye weeks so its his fault that he waited until the last moment to try to make a change with a crappy connectionThe choice here is clear.

No way you can do this. Period.One question: If the owner must reset his lineup after you redrafted how did he have a lineup entered at all? Every player would have been on his bench, correct?
Not on foxsports. I'm in 2 leagues there, and after the drafts were manually entered, everyone's lineups were randomly filled.

I agree I wouldn't allow this against anyone, as someone else would get screwed during the season. But what about just this week? Would it be fair to give Manning's opponent one mulligan this week, since the Manning owner is basically getting a mulligan by being able to start Manning after the fact?
I don't think it would be fair this week either. The Manning owner isn't getting a mulligan really since he did put Manning in as a starter. You caused the lineup to change not him. He shouldn't be penalized just because he didn't catch the last minute email.

Tough call. As someone who always check his starting lineup before logging off my PC the last time before the games begin, I do not have much sympathy for this guy, especially since an email was sent out.

I would say he does not get to put Manning in. It will be a tough pill for him to swallow, but allowing him to put him in now will open up a whole can of worms.

Now Manning's opponent is bringing this up: he says what if Manning had a terrible night like Brees -- that would be negative points in our scoring system, and then he would be freerolling with Trent Green on Sunday.
This is actually a good point. But I think I would still suck it up and put in Manning - assuming he was originally in there. Were there any other players benched that were in his original lineup?

This would have all been solved if only you'd bought a shirt from DKeato

"But Commish, I didn't read the email that said I need to reset my lineup"

:confused:

It will teach him to manage his team...Its the first game.. If you need a replacement let me know.. :confused:
Was Manning the only player that this affects? Did he also "mean" to start FWP, but instead has Stecker starting?Did you ask him why he didn't read or respond to the email notification? I'm sorry, but as league commish of my league, if I send out a NEW notification in ample time (if it was a week, that's ample notification) for you to resonably respond to it, and you DON'T, then that is your own fault. Tough break, but perhaps it's a lesson learned that you shouldn't ignore emails or notifications from the Commish or the League.Go Trent Green!

I'm sorry, but as league commish of my league, if I send out a NEW notification in ample time (if it was a week, that's ample notification) for you to resonably respond to it, and you DON'T, then that is your own fault. Tough break, but perhaps it's a lesson learned that you shouldn't ignore emails or notifications from the Commish or the League.
:confused:

I don't understand how lineups got setup randomly. Maybe Foxsports works differently than everyone else, but in every other website all players are sent to the bench when they are drafted.

Of course, that doesn't really help the guy since NONE of his players would be in his lineup if that were the case.

Really it boils down to one thing to me: Did the post-second draft email specifically say that teams would need to reset their lineup? If the email said that, then the Manning owner is out of luck. If it did not say that, then the commish should hang his head and make the change.

You put him in this week due to the faux paus that happened with the draft. Like I said before, if I was his opponent I would TELL you to do it.

This is not an invitation to "mulligan" every week, this is a one time deal.

In the future.....as commish I always double check EVERYONE's lineup before week 1 to make sure that everyone is doing their job. I do that so that I can have a good week one and avoid these issues. Week one is always the trickiest, especially if you have new novices in the league.

Tough call. As someone who always check his starting lineup before logging off my PC the last time before the games begin, I do not have much sympathy for this guy, especially since an email was sent out. I would say he does not get to put Manning in. It will be a tough pill for him to swallow, but allowing him to put him in now will open up a whole can of worms.
:goodposting: No way this is the commish's screw up not his. Like others have mention while our lives may revolve around fantasy football others do not. How often does a guy need to check in to make sure he has a lineup submitted?Again e-mail is a pretty crappy way of notifying the league that their starting lineups were wiped out. Maybe initially it's o.k. but the commish should've checked the site and called the owners without starting lineups due to this roster reloading.

Tough call. As someone who always check his starting lineup before logging off my PC the last time before the games begin, I do not have much sympathy for this guy, especially since an email was sent out. I would say he does not get to put Manning in. It will be a tough pill for him to swallow, but allowing him to put him in now will open up a whole can of worms.
So let's say you're the Commish and jokingly set someone's lineup to all their backups just for kicks. You forget to change them back. He's stuck with his scrubs?

Users who are viewing this thread