What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Whatcha readin now? (book, books, reading, read) (1 Viewer)

Currently reading American Prometheus biography Robert Oppenheimer. 
younger brother Frank lived up the street from me growing up... drove an old black sedan (ala men in black movie) and had a black lab that drove around with him. that lab was the bane of our collie's existence- the sweetest dog you could imagine... until that black sedan rolled by and then *whammo*- kujo, with teeth bared in froth, eyes rolled back and barking from hell.

might be urban legend, but IIRC, frank founded the exploratorium (hands on science museum in SF).

eta: sure it's an interesting book... yeah- look at me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just downloaded 'Left of Doom' about a CIA operative in Afghanistan.  I like books like this between Longmire/Reacher books and still working through my personal classics list.  

Recently finished the Longmire book 'Dry Bones' as well as a free Kindle book 'The Temporary Agent' both were solid.  I'm also listening to 'Streets of Laredo' (3rd and final Lonesome Dove installment) as I have some windshield time over the next month due to work.  

I have 'All the Pretty Horses' in queue as well.  Really been digging McCarthy lately.  

Almost forgot I also have 'Hawk Eyes' in queue.  The author is a local guy to my area and I've been following his books for a while.  He's a western author and his books are usually solid.

Just finished David Moody's Hater trilogy (Hater, Dog Blood, Them or Us).  First one was unique, second one was good, third one seemed to drag forever.  This guy is more of a storyteller than a writer.  Not sure I'd recommend this. 

Started Beacon 23 by Hugh Howey.  After Moody, Howey reads like Cormac McCarthy.
I thought Beacon 23 was great.  Would recommend. 

Next up is The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August, which I think was recommended here after I had posted that I read Replay, which I really liked.

Finished Before the Fall over the weekend.  It was okay, but glad I didn't spend more than the $3.99 that I spent on it.  Almost put it down out of boredom at a couple of points.  But I'm not really the thriller-type, so maybe others will find it better.

After finishing that, started Jon Meacham's Destiny and Power: The American Odyssey of George H.W. Bush.  Enjoyed Meacham's bios on Jefferson and Jackson.  Looking forward to this one.
I liked Before the Fall.  I was engaged till the end.  Not great, but good.

I'm on Seveneves by Neal Stephenson now.  Like most of his stuff, I have to slog through the more technical science stuff, but I'm really digging the story and characters.

I'm not sure if anyone else follows this sort of stuff, but Colson Whitehead's The Underground Railroad just dropped a month ahead of schedule.  It was one of the most anticipated books of the year -- WaPo and NYT both published great reviews this morning too.  I can't wait to finish what I'm reading now and get to it.

I liked Before the Fall.  I was engaged till the end.  Not great, but good.

I'm on Seveneves by Neal Stephenson now.  Like most of his stuff, I have to slog through the more technical science stuff, but I'm really digging the story and characters.
In the middle of "Before the Fall" right now. I totally agree with the good, but not great assessment. I have "The Girls" next which is supposed to be the hot summer book. 

:goodposting:

no Kesey either. 

and it's 3 Rands. (anthem, fountain, atlas) I enjoyed her novels just fine- pulpy beach reads more than anything else. still head-scratching that they're anywhere near this list.

eta: oops... was scanning it for Sometimes a Great Notion instead of the obvious one. 
For some reason a lot conservative libertarian types view Rand as some kind of prophet. The gym teacher I work with is a hardcore Tea Party/Libertarian and he is always reading and re-reading Rand, giving copies to co-workers to read, telling kids to read it, etc. There is a certain social/political segment of the population that is heavily influenced by her books in a way that transcends art. Three books is major overkill, but her work certainly has it's cult even today (maybe as much as ever today). 

Don Quixote said:
I'm not sure if anyone else follows this sort of stuff, but Colson Whitehead's The Underground Railroad just dropped a month ahead of schedule.  It was one of the most anticipated books of the year -- WaPo and NYT both published great reviews this morning too.  I can't wait to finish what I'm reading now and get to it.
If it's an Oprah book, you know it's ####ty.  :D

I was hoping somebody could recommend my next book. I'm embarrassed to say that my ADD prevented me from reading too many books but audiobooks have been a godsend to me. I just devoured them now.

I tend to like biographies an American history. I just finished the Wright brothers in about three days, it was fantastic.

I did not like the game of thrones series/fire and ice, World war Z, the Martian (way too technical and boring), and I don't understand the love for Ready Player One (just because you mention every popular item that was produced in the 1980s doesn't mean it makes a good story. Sure it brings back the nostalgia of the era but I just never got where the story was going and lost interest about halfway through)

Thanks so much in advance guys.
I had to revisit this thread simply so I could right this travesty. What a fantastic imaginary ride through the OASIS. Wonderfully narrated by Wil Wheaton.

Listening to D-Day by Stephen Ambrose. Im about 85% through and its a good accoun so far.

Close to finishing Ali vs Inoki.   Good read for boxing,  wrestling,  and MMA fans,  albeit a bit disjointed. 

I had to revisit this thread simply so I could right this travesty. What a fantastic imaginary ride through the OASIS. Wonderfully narrated by Wil Wheaton.
Loved Ready Player One.  Really well done book.

----

Currently reading The Thief's Daughter - Jeff Wheeler and listening to Nemesis Games (Corey).   Just a bit ago finished up Unsouled - Will Wight.  

Wheeler is good, not spectacular.  The Expanse books by Corey are definitely the best space opera I've read in a long time.  Sadly I finished Unsouled way too quickly - in my humble opinion the two best fantasy authors right now, by a long way, are Sanderson and Wight.  I just buy whatever they write.

Agreed. The narration was spectacular and I felt like I was in the OASIS myself listening to the story unfold.

Interested to see how the movie turns out.

After finishing that, started Jon Meacham's Destiny and Power: The American Odyssey of George H.W. Bush.  Enjoyed Meacham's bios on Jefferson and Jackson.  Looking forward to this one.
"Destiny and Power" was great.  Thorough and balanced account of Bush's life and career -- including from Meacham's interviews with Bush, his family, and officials that he worked with, and access to the personal diaries of George H.W. and Barbara Bush.  An overall positive portrait though, and I'm glad to see Bush getting some respect for what he was able to accomplish, as I think he gets knocked down a bit too much.

Currently reading Extreme Ownership by Jocko Willink.  So far so good.  

Leadership from a SEAL's perspective based on events in the modern war era, with translation and application to the business world. It's a self development book but has engaging stories as well.

The Underground Railroad was pretty good.  I wouldn't get scared away by the Oprah tag, if that is of concern.  It is well-written and a good story as well.  I was expecting a historical fiction, which it is for the most part, except for one fantasy aspect.

The Underground Railroad is an actual underground railroad.
 But I thought it worked well, and better than the fantasy aspect of All the Light We Cannot See, for a recent book with a similar aspect (although The Underground Railroad is a much darker book).  2016 is becoming one of my favorite years for new novels in awhile; lots of good stuff out there right now, and some anticipated stuff still to come.

Rotating between fiction and non-fiction.  After finishing that, started up on Simon Sebag Montefiore's The Romanovs: 1613-1918.  Title is probably self-explanatory.

Took a break from Seveneves to read A Time of Torment, the latest Charlie Parker from John Connolly. Another fine addition to one of my favorite series.

Now, back to Neal Stephenson's speculative fiction tome.

I've been slacking lately. Took me a while to finish GBH by Ted Lewis. Lewis wrote Get Carter (yes the movie with Michael Caine was an adaptation). GBH was more the same - a dark tale about the London underworld.

Next up is quite different. The Crossing, book 2 of the Border Trilogy by Cormac McCarthy.

Took a break from Seveneves to read A Time of Torment, the latest Charlie Parker from John Connolly. Another fine addition to one of my favorite series.

Now, back to Neal Stephenson's speculative fiction tome.
Thatnks for this., did not know another Parker novel had come out - just ordered! I loved Seveneves, as most of everything else by Neal Stephenson

Recent reads:

City Of Mirrors  Thoroughly enjoyed it. I didn't mind the Fanning interlude as much as some did, though he got a little too mustache-twirly at times. I think this a fine ending to a very good series with good payoffs for the main characters.

End Of Watch  This was the final book in King's Mr Mercedes series. I thought this was on a par with the first two, which I'd categorize as "good, but not great". They are fun reads, but King's age is starting to show in how he draws his younger characters.

Speaking of "King" and "younger", I'm now on Joe Hill's The Fireman. I'm about 25% of the way through and really like it.

I was hoping this would lead me right into Scott Lynch's Thorn Of Emberlain in a couple of weeks, but I read the other day the release date has been pushed back to no-one-knows-when. Bummer......

Oh well, Michael Kortya has a new one out and I've enjoyed everything of his I've read so I'm on to that one next. I think he started out writing straight detective/crime novels (I haven't read those), but has branched out into some genre/supernatural stuff over the last several years (which I think I've read all of). 

Next up is The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August, which I think was recommended here after I had posted that I read Replay, which I really liked.
Interested in hearing what you thought? 

Replay was a fun easy read and I quite enjoyed it.  Harry August on the other hand took a bit more concentration and was a bit deeper in scope.  I enjoyed it but it sort of turned into a spy novel half way through.

Replay was a fun easy read and I quite enjoyed it.  Harry August on the other hand took a bit more concentration and was a bit deeper in scope.  I enjoyed it but it sort of turned into a spy novel half way through.
I'm a slow reader. I'll let you know.

Finished reading Breakfast of Champions and Cat's Cradle. Both were funny and also a quick read.

Reading Infinite Jest just felt like a chore. Didn't have the commitment to finish it.

Now onto For Whom The Bells Toll by Hemingway.

Finished reading Breakfast of Champions and Cat's Cradle. Both were funny and also a quick read.
My mother had these two and I tried to read them when I was eight or nine. As I suspect it is with most who post here, I was fairly precocious and read well above my age level. But, holy crap, this stuff was waaaaay beyond me at the time and I finished neither of them. I haven't tried to read Vonnegut since, but I reckon I should give these another go since - even if I'm no more mature (& am probably less so) - at least I have a prayer of understanding them better now.

My mother had these two and I tried to read them when I was eight or nine. As I suspect it is with most who post here, I was fairly precocious and read well above my age level. But, holy crap, this stuff was waaaaay beyond me at the time and I finished neither of them. I haven't tried to read Vonnegut since, but I reckon I should give these another go since - even if I'm no more mature (& am probably less so) - at least I have a prayer of understanding them better now.
Yeah you should go back and read them. They are quick, easy and fun. No way a 9 year old could get those books. Total waste of time. An educated adult should understand them pretty easily. They aren't at all complicated. They are just critiques of modern society, religion, consumerism, etc. You might not "get" it as some people just don't like KV's sense of humor, but you will understand his points. 

Reading Infinite Jest just felt like a chore. Didn't have the commitment to finish it.

Have you read any other Hemingway? I prefer The Sun Also Rises, but FWTBT is great as well. Two very different books. FWTBT is a great war epic with a very clear plot where TSAR is just a bunch of wandering drunks without much of a real plot. It did take me awhile to get through the odd way he literally translated the Spanish to English, but other than that it's a true classic. 

Have you read any other Hemingway? I prefer The Sun Also Rises, but FWTBT is great as well. Two very different books. FWTBT is a great war epic with a very clear plot where TSAR is just a bunch of wandering drunks without much of a real plot. It did take me awhile to get through the odd way he literally translated the Spanish to English, but other than that it's a true classic. 
Yes, freshman year of university while taking Lit I.

I tried not to analyze every sentence and thoroughly enjoyed TSAR. Once the plot got to Spain, it got much better.

The book doesn't grab attention until later on.

Love Vonnegut. If you can find it, check out his collection of short stories, Welcome to the Monkey House

Some truly amazing stories in there.

Recently re-read the best-known book by a major author who is never considered a major author because he writes so cleanly his books aren't long enough for heavy consideration. Lost Horizon by James Hilton, who also wrote the lovely Goodbye, Mr. Chips. Like Fitzgerald or Orwell (with Vonnegut, my three big 20th C guys) in purposeful economy.

For anyone into fantasy novels, try The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. Been having trouble putting it down

I'm only about 10 percent into Nathan Hill's "The Nix" and I already feel like I'm going to be telling everyone that I know (and don't know) to read it.  Funny and well-written.

Flowers for Algernon:

Really enjoyed this one.  I was really glad he didn't take the concept too far and instead it was just a great touching story.  Won't deny that this one effected me all throughout the movie as Charlie remembered his past, changed, and realized people's motivations around him. 

Now I am about 200 pages into Boy's Life.

Review I read in the Wash Post made me put it on my list.
That review is what made me get it.  Ron Charles' reviews in the Post are among those that I trust the most.  (He's a good follow on Goodreads to see his updates too, for anyone on there.)

Listening to D-Day by Stephen Ambrose. Im about 85% through and its a good accoun so far.
If you enjoy that, read the series from Donald Burgett. Excellent recounting of his time as a paratroop in the 506 PIR. Everyone is familiar with Band of Brothers and the 506st. E Company was the focus of that series, largely thanks to Ambrose's book. Burgett was in A Company and went through the same deployments with E Company.

Currahee

The Road to Arnhem

Seven Roads to Hell

Beyond the Rhine

I'm only about 10 percent into Nathan Hill's "The Nix" and I already feel like I'm going to be telling everyone that I know (and don't know) to read it.  Funny and well-written.
It was announced today that "The Nix" is going to turn into a TV series starring Meryl Streep and directed and produced by JJ Abrams. I suddenly feel very hip.

Recently finished Amor Towles' new one: A Gentleman in Moscow.  Pretty solid book.  It reads similar to a 100 years later sequel to War and Peace, featuring a "Count Rostov" dealing with the repercussions of the Communist takeover of Russia.  He is sentenced to live the rest of his life in a hotel in Moscow, and the book is similarly mostly confined to those surroundings.  It probably helps to have at least a basic understanding of Soviet Russia in the 1920s-40s, as, while things happen that imply times are pretty tumultuous, the book does not explore much beyond life in the hotel, and it helps to appreciate why Count Rostov may have been one of the luckiest men in the country.

Currently on Jeff Passan's The Arm, about the history of Tommy John surgery and the surge of UCL injuries, including a look at youth baseball camps.  Enjoying this one.

I ended up liking Seveneves well enough, though the last 1/3 dragged imo.

Just finished The Bone Tree, book 2 in a trilogy by Greg Iles.  Really good.  Iles does an incredible job of packing 3 days or so of story into an 850 page novel.  Strong characters, and he is not afraid to spring some surprises on the reader.

No onto Shantaram for the 2nd time.  Read it 10 years ago and it is one of my favorite novels ever.  Rereading it and then will move directly on to the sequel, The Mountain Shadow, which had more mixed reviews.  I'm hopeful though.

Recent reads:

City Of Mirrors  Thoroughly enjoyed it. I didn't mind the Fanning interlude as much as some did, though he got a little too mustache-twirly at times. I think this a fine ending to a very good series with good payoffs for the main characters.

End Of Watch  This was the final book in King's Mr Mercedes series. I thought this was on a par with the first two, which I'd categorize as "good, but not great". They are fun reads, but King's age is starting to show in how he draws his younger characters.

Speaking of "King" and "younger", I'm now on Joe Hill's The Fireman. I'm about 25% of the way through and really like it.

I was hoping this would lead me right into Scott Lynch's Thorn Of Emberlain in a couple of weeks, but I read the other day the release date has been pushed back to no-one-knows-when. Bummer......

Oh well, Michael Kortya has a new one out and I've enjoyed everything of his I've read so I'm on to that one next. I think he started out writing straight detective/crime novels (I haven't read those), but has branched out into some genre/supernatural stuff over the last several years (which I think I've read all of). 
I finished The Fireman. If you like Hill, you'll like this one.

Also, Robert McCammon slipped out another Matthew Corbett novel when I wasn't looking (Freedom From The Mask), so I read that one next. I've liked the whole series, but the previous two I thought were a little weak. This one was better, though it ended on a  - spoiler alert! - cliffhanger just like the rest.

NOW, I'm on to the new Kortya book. I'm not sure what I'll try after that.

I thought Harry August was fairly meh.  Enjoyed Replay more for multiple reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread