What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Whatcha readin now? (book, books, reading, read) (8 Viewers)

Reading John Crowley’s Little, Big.

I think this is supposed to be “literary” fantasy writing. 75 pages in, very slow and lots of descriptions of nature and the unique house which I am guessing will be the main setting. Reminds me of a non gloomy version of Mervyn Peak’s Gormenghast novels.

The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins

Unique and some creative elements, but I really didn't like the execution here. A solid meh from me.

Currently reading David Kertzer’s The Pope at War: The Secret History of Pius XII, Mussolini, and Hitler. Kertzer previously won the Pulitzer Prize in History for his book on Pope Pius XI and Mussolini.

This one is an incredibly researched book about Pius XII’s actions during WWII and the Holocaust. Draws on new documents recently released in 2020, releasing previously unreported meetings and discussions. To say the least, Pope Pius XII does not come out of this one looking good.

WaPo review.

Reading the Library of the Dead. Unique atmosphere - we'll see if it pays off.

Also, Kindle tells me I've read 33 books and 30,000 pages this year. Thankfully they don't see the drudgery I also have to read at work. :p

Finished Elvira’s Memoirs of the Mistress of the Dark and loved it. It’s full of all kinds of crazy stories from her career. Highly recommend if you like stories of old Hollywood.

Reading the Library of the Dead. Unique atmosphere - we'll see if it pays off.

Also, Kindle tells me I've read 33 books and 30,000 pages this year. Thankfully they don't see the drudgery I also have to read at work. :p
where do you find this info on kindle?

I am about half way through The Nineties by Chuck Klosterman. I am a big fan of Klosterman and this is no exception.

Going on a cruise so got this one…

Lethal Voyage

A DEAD BODY can ruin a vacation. . . .It was a suicide, wasn’t it? . . .

Maybe the on-board production of Chicago isn’t the only place people are getting murdered!

NYPD homicide detective Mike Stoneman and medical examiner Michelle McNeill just want a relaxing cruise. But, Michelle is convinced that there is foul play at work in the death of a Broadway talent agent’s wife.

The ship’s head of security wants to keep it quiet. But, how many bodies can he cover up during one sailing? When it looks like Michelle might be the next victim, Mike needs to find the killer and keep Michelle alive for the end of this Lethal Voyage”

1Q84 by haruki murakami I’ve had lots of recommendations to read this one. It was long, slow, but with just enough twists to drag me along to finish it. The author does make simple Japanese meals sound really good. 2.5 out of 5 rating.

The Starless Crown by Jim Rollins
If you like Terry Brooks then you’ll like this. First in a series of unknown length is my caution. 3.5 out of 5 rating.

Rereading Truman Capote short stories and The Unbearable Lightness of Being. Trying to jumpstart my reading my picking up some of my favorites from 10 or so years ago.

I had a hankering for some junk food so I read the most recent James Bond novel With a Mind to Kill by Anthony Horowitz. It's a homage to Ian Fleming's literary Bond set in 1964 immediately after Fleming's last posthumous 007 book. It's pretty decent for what it is, remaining true to the character while capturing the mid-60s Cold War settings and attitudes.

I've moved on to Picasso's War: How Modern Art Came to America, a non-fiction book about how New York became the center of the art world in the first half of the 20th century.

I haven't posted in here since October. Read some political biographies and did not want to get banned for saying much about them (Haberman's bio on he who shall not be named, and Alter's bio on Jimmy Carter). Mum's the word. Another biography was Katherine Graham's memoir, A Personal Life, about her life and time as publisher of the Washington Post.

A couple of other histories in the pile -- Lowenstein's book on the financing of the civil war (mentioned it in the Civil War thread a few days ago), as well as Rebecca Skloot's The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. The latter was pretty interesting -- about Lacks' cells that are still widely used in medical research about 70 years after her death, but also weaves in the story of the Lacks' family, how they learned about the use of her cells, ethical/consent concerns, and impact it had on them.

On the fiction side, read Amor Towles' The Rules of Civility. Was not a huge fan of that one. Novel set in the flapper era. For people who have read other Towles' stuff, I liked it more than The Lincoln Highway, but less than Gentleman in Moscow.

Current read is Barbara Kingsolver's Demon Copperhead. It is an updated version of Dickens' David Copperfield, set in Appalachia. Appeared on many books of the year lists.

Last edited:
1Q84 by haruki murakami I’ve had lots of recommendations to read this one. It was long, slow, but with just enough twists to drag me along to finish it. The author does make simple Japanese meals sound really good. 2.5 out of 5 rating.

Have you read other Murakami? This is possibly my least favorite of his novels. The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle or Kafka on the Shore would be much better, or some of his excellent collections of short stories.

ETA: He's my favorite author.

Have you read other Murakami? This is possibly my least favorite of his novels. The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle or Kafka on the Shore would be much better, or some of his excellent collections of short stories.

1Q84 was my first read of murakami. He appears to be a very prolific writer. I’d give his writing another shot, so thank you for the recommendations.

1Q84 was my first read of murakami. He appears to be a very prolific writer. I’d give his writing another shot, so thank you for the recommendations.

Do you like short stories at all? They're a good way to jump in on his works, too. After the Quake and The Elephant Vanishes are both terrific collections. Also, I didn't mention before but another very good novel (not as long and dense as Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, which is my favorite) would be Norwegian Wood.

Finished If It Bleeds by Stephen King, 4 novellas. I really like The Rat, it's classic King, the other 3 were ok.

Current read is Barbara Kingsolver's Demon Copperhead. It is an updated version of Dickens' David Copperfield, set in Appalachia.
How are you liking this so far? It keeps popping up as a recommendation for me, but I've never read any of Kingsolver's stuff before and haven't pulled the trigger.

Is anyone into LitRPG? Specifically, He Who Fights With Monsters by Shirtaloon aka Travis Deverell?

I tried doing a bunch of searches and nothing came back

Haven't posted in a while as I was working my way through the entire Cosmere series by Brandon Sanderson (OK not all of it as I skipped the novellas). Overall, very good. The series (Broken out by color below) are all somewhat interrelated. I read them in the order below rather than chronologically as Sanderson seems to jump in and out between series.

I think my favorite so far is Warbreaker, but they all are pretty good. Recommend.

TitlePublished
The Final Empire2006
The Well of Ascension 2007
The Hero of Ages2008
The Alloy of Law2011
The Eleventh Metal (short story)2012
Shadows of Self2015
The Bands of Mourning2016
The Lost Metal2022
Elantris2005
Hope of Elantris (novella)2006
Warbreaker2009
The Way of Kings2010
Words of Radiance2014
Edgedancer (novella)2016
Oathbringer 2017
Dawnshard (novella)2020
Rhythm of War2020
Mistborne
Elantris
Stormlight Archives

Diary of Anne Frank. We're going to Amsterdam next month and will see her hiding spot. I've never read this particular book before, so I figured I should knock it out before departing.

I recently read Tomorrow, And Tomorrow, And Tomorrow by Gabrielle Zevin. It follows the rise of two wunderkind video game creators. A pleasant read. Nothing tremendously earth-shattering, but a good book.

Then I read The Nineties by Chuck Klosterman, which was also a pleasant read, if unsatisfying. By that I mean that the nostalgia trip was a good one, but the analysis, I felt, was a bit lacking. Still a worthy read depending on what you wanted out the book.

Listening to him today on Rogan's podcast, ironically talking about how "what I'm reading lists" are mostly vanity.

I disagree with attitudes like that. Depends if you're trying to impress other people or just spitballing about what you're reading while hoping to make a connection with other people over a shared appreciation or dislike of a book or theme within that book.

I disagree with attitudes like that. Depends if you're trying to impress other people or just spitballing about what you're reading while hoping to make a connection with other people over a shared appreciation or dislike of a book or theme within that book.

Sure. Everyone is welcome to disagree. I know I do see a lot of what seems like a "look at me" with the reading lists. It's more a shift of "let's project what I want people to think of me" vs a "let me read these books to better myself". Which is a huge dynamic on social media in general. All good.

Sure. Everyone is welcome to disagree. I know I do see a lot of what seems like a "look at me" with the reading lists. It's more a shift of "let's project what I want people to think of me" vs a "let me read these books to better myself". Which is a huge dynamic on social media in general. All good.

On the flip side (and yes, I quoted myself here :bag: ) telling folks what you're reading or how you think of what you're reading is a nice way to tell someone more about yourself.

Yeah, it really does depend on the purpose you have when you contribute what you're reading. Your example is clearly vanity. I'm just not sure how deep that runs. Insecurities, too, can lead to vanity lists. I just don't think that the majority of people who share are doing anything other than looking for connections over a shared literary experience.

But all good regardless.

Just finished, A Visit From The Goon Squad.

It won a Pulitzer prize so it's well above the radar. But excellent. I found myself reading with a highlighter and every few pages stopping to marvel at a sentence.

This is a wonderful book. The last chapter is so wildly creative and innovative that I almost lost my breath while reading it. It was that good. I got the book for my niece as a Christmas present back in 2016 when she was 16, and she took to it and read it in a few hours while everybody was hanging out that day.

Paul Tremblay's The Cabin at the End of the World.

Tense and captivating. Still trying to process the ending.

Can you elaborate more? On a 1-10 darkness scale, how dark is it?
I know you're asking @shuke , but I'll throw my couple of shillings in......

The premise of this book is so simple and I think Tremblay is a magnificent writer, so it's a can't miss for me. As to how "dark" it is, that depends on your threshold and POV. There's certainly some unpleasantness that I could see bothering folks. Actually, I'd love to see your take on it. Shuke & I read a lot of the same stuff, so sometimes he & I are an echo chamber.

It won a Pulitzer prize so it's well above the radar. But excellent. I found myself reading with a highlighter and every few pages stopping to marvel at a sentence.

This is a wonderful book. The last chapter is so wildly creative and innovative that I almost lost my breath while reading it. It was that good. I got the book for my niece as a Christmas present back in 2016 when she was 16, and she took to it and read it in a few hours while everybody was hanging out that day.
This has been sitting on my wish list since it came out. I'm going to pull the trigger on it.

Why does it have to be either of these and not "these are books I enjoy reading"?

This has been sitting on my wish list since it came out. I'm going to pull the trigger on it.

Same.

Yeah, it really does depend on the purpose you have when you contribute what you're reading. Your example is clearly vanity. I'm just not sure how deep that runs. Insecurities, too, can lead to vanity lists. I just don't think that the majority of people who share are doing anything other than looking for connections over a shared literary experience.

But all good regardless.

Some of it is context too. When it's a known person on Twitter and they're using the picture of their stack of books as a "look at how productive I was this month" trying to build an audience and a personal brand, that's very different than here with screen names and friends genuinely talking about books. And I do think that's a fair bit of social media.

Users who are viewing this thread