What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Whatcha readin now? (book, books, reading, read) (6 Viewers)

Black Order by James Rollins. Finished up Sandstorm last week, Map of Bones was out at the library so I picked this one up. Just started it last night. Haven't read something along these lines in a while so it was a quick, fun read.
Glad you liked this. I read this one a while back and thought it was complete and utter dreck. I doubt I'll ever pick up a Rollins book again. Steve Berry is in the same category.
:goodposting: well there's a ringing endorsement if I've ever heard one.It's certainly not without its moments of unbelievability but I like the combination of history with technology with a decent story. It will never be mistaken for literary genius to be sure.

Reading Papillon by Henri Charriere right now and about half way through. Watched the movie years ago but the book is outstanding to date and really amazing. Highly recomend it for someone who has seen the movie or not.

http://www.amazon.com/Papillon-Henri-Charriere/dp/0060934794
I recently finished this one. In fact, gave up on it. Really enjoyed the first 1/2, but then mytagid = Math.floor( Math.random() * 100 );document.write("

it just spiraled into unbelievability. The wardens were basically cheering for him to escape? The warden's wives loved him to death? C'mon...

That stuff would have been hard to swallow in fiction, let alone alleged non-fiction.

Plus I just got tired of him being in prison. Escape already! And don't be a moron who gets caught again!*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***");document.close();

Currently reading Cemetery Dance, the latest Pendergast by Preston and Child. Pretty creepy, has a lot to do with voodoo and zombies. Maybe I'm tiring of the series, but it's just not doing it for me overall. Next up is the latest Charlie Parker by John Connolly.

Black Order by James Rollins. Finished up Sandstorm last week, Map of Bones was out at the library so I picked this one up. Just started it last night. Haven't read something along these lines in a while so it was a quick, fun read.
Glad you liked this. I read this one a while back and thought it was complete and utter dreck. I doubt I'll ever pick up a Rollins book again. Steve Berry is in the same category.
:goodposting: well there's a ringing endorsement if I've ever heard one.It's certainly not without its moments of unbelievability but I like the combination of history with technology with a decent story. It will never be mistaken for literary genius to be sure.
I found the narrative to be incredibly scattershot. Trying for too much action without the requisite continuity.Shantaram (which I really like so far) is on the opposite end of the scale. But then again I tend to like the overly detailed end.

Finished Red Sky at Morning by Richard Bradford. It started off well, but didn't sustain. It's probably better suited for high school kids. Maybe junior high. Kind of disappointing.

Started The Sot-Weed Factor by John Barth. I absolutely hated the last book of his I read (The End of the Road), but I've heard so many good things about this one that I'm willing to forgive and forget ... for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just finished The Count of Monte Cristo, felt it was a good book, worthwhile, but the ending left a little to be desired.

Just picked up Slaughterhouse Five and The Shadow of the Wind. Gonna read The Shadow of the Wind first.

pantagrapher said:
Started The Sot-Weed Factor by John Barth. I absolutely hated the last book of his I read (The End of the Road), but I've heard so many good things about this one that I'm willing to forgive and forget ... for now.
:popcorn: :excited: :thumbup: Great book. Can be read a number of ways. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

pantagrapher said:
:shrug: :tfp: :thumbup: Great book. Can be read a number of ways. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Are there ways other than front to back?

Just finished The Shadow of the Wind.

I would recommend it. It's a good mystery type story but the main theme throughout is probably love sought and love lost.

Starting up Slaughterhouse Five tonight/tomorrow. If I like it, I'll probably continue to read through Vonnegut's catalog.

The Year of Living Biblically - A.J. Jacobs

This is very interesting, funny, and entertaining. Jacobs is a bit like a kinder, gentler P.J. O'Rourke. He is a self-described agnostic Jew, but he takes this endeavor seriously and with respect. This would be an excellent read for the FFA.

One criticism: not even halfway in, but reads more like a blog. Hoping that later chapters will attempt to draw some conclusions, some thematic observations.

Just finishing up The Lovers by John Connolly. Freaking LOVE Connolly.

If you're into PI/mysteries, especially with a creepy factor, check out his stuff. Great writer.

Next up will be a few paperbacks for vacation: Boy's Life and Gone South by McCammon and By the Rivers of Babylon by DeMille.

Finished Vonnegut's Timequake. A truly awful book. I imagined him sitting at home laughing that a single person would buy such crap.

Also decided that I really enjoyed the Dune universe, so I went looking for Dune Messiah, but the library was out. So I grabbed Paul of Dune which was the book that told the story between Dune and Dune Messiah. It was a quick read, and very entertaining. It didn't have the depth of the original work but it advanced the story nicely. My only complaint was that knowing there was a story after this one Herbert's son pigeon-holed a lot of tstuff to advance the story but had to make sure he didn't change anything that already was supposed to happen. So a lot of suspense was built up only to die quickly so that the real story could still move forward. Overall, though, entertaining. I think I'm going to stick with the Dune universe a little bit here and take a break from stories that I have to think about.

I pimped this book before, but if you haven't read "City of Thieves", do it!

Also, anyone read "The Egyptologist"? It's also a cool novel.

Currently reading a collection of short stories by Nikolai Gogol. Including "The Nose" and "The Overcoat". He was a funny guy and I like the way he exits his tale for a bit and starts conversing directly with the reader.

Good stuff.

#6 Enders Game - this was fantasic. I can't praise this book enough. I couldn't put it down. Blown away with how good it was.
Excellent book. You must read Ender's Shadow.
Actually, Ender's Game should really be followed by Speaker of the Dead. I've read both the Ender and Bean novels, and Ender's Game and Speaker of the Dead are far and away the best of them. I enjoyed all of them, but those two are some of the best sci-fi I've ever read.Speaker for the Dead is also next in publication order, earning Card the Nebula and Hugo for two consecutive years.
I agree with igbomb. The Ender books >>>> Bean books.
How many more books are there after Ender's Game? I read the aforementioned a couple of summers past and enjoyed the read. I knew there were sequels, but wasn't sure if I wanted to follow up on them.That being said, I just finished Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov a week ago. It was written extremely well and made me feel creeped out just for reading it.

Then I finished I'jaam, An Iraqi Rhapsody by Sinan Antoon this weekend. It was short (100 pages), but I found it very interesting. It is a collection of writing from an Iraqi prisinor during the Iran-Iraq war in the early 90's. I was six years old at the time period, so I knew very little of the history. The writer also had some beautiful storytelling abilities and I thought it was well worth the read.

I also started The Whiskey Rebels by David Liss this weekend. I'm about 100 pages in and very intrigued. The story is historical fiction placed in America right at the end of the revolutionary war, but before the ratification of the constitution and follows two characters prominently. The first being a cast out former American spy, and the second, an aspiring female novelist.

That being said, I just finished Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov a week ago. It was written extremely well and made me feel creeped out just for reading it.
Nabokov is the best writer ever. It really boggles the mind that one man can possess such a potent combination of intelligence and creativity.

How many more books are there after Ender's Game? I read the aforementioned a couple of summers past and enjoyed the read. I knew there were sequels, but wasn't sure if I wanted to follow up on them.
1. Ender's Game2. Speaker for the Dead

3. Xenocide

4. Children of the Mind

5. Ender's Shadow

6. Shadow of the Hegemon

7. Shadow Puppets

8. Shadow of the Giant

9. First Meetings

10. A War of Gifts: An Ender Story

11. Ender in Exile

I would recommend the first 3. They are all very good. It's all downhill from there as everything gets stale pretty quickly. Some people really like the Bean stuff in the Shadow part of the series...but I didn't particularly enjoy it. I haven't read 9-11.

Currently reading "Outliers" by Malcolm Gladwell and "The Partnership, The Making of Goldman Sachs" by Charles D.Ellis.

Considering "Confessions of an Economic Hitman" by John Perkins.

Would appreciate if anyone has any thoughts on the above three.

How many more books are there after Ender's Game? I read the aforementioned a couple of summers past and enjoyed the read. I knew there were sequels, but wasn't sure if I wanted to follow up on them.

3. Xenocide

4. Children of the Mind

5. Ender's Shadow

6. Shadow of the Hegemon

7. Shadow Puppets

8. Shadow of the Giant

9. First Meetings

11. Ender in Exile

I would recommend the first 3. They are all very good. It's all downhill from there as everything gets stale pretty quickly. Some people really like the Bean stuff in the Shadow part of the series...but I didn't particularly enjoy it. I haven't read 9-11.
1 and 2 are far away the best, with 3 and 4 decent but trailing off significantly.5-8, the Bean series, are decent but not great.

9 and 10 are terrible, really terrible.

Haven't read 11 nor do I plan to.

Just finished Junot Diaz's Drown. Short story collection. Fairly well written. It was a work read: I'm teaching it in ENG 101 since many of my students are from our "global program" straight from the Dominican Republic. This has the added benefit of them translating all the book's naughty Spanish words for me. I now know the subtle differences between a maricone and a puta. They even told me which Latin countries certain words come from.

I'm also still working through the Proust. It's amazing and I'd be done already, but work-related reading and my own stuff keep getting in the way. :(

igbomb said:
Tough As Nails said:
Kendall said:

3. Xenocide

4. Children of the Mind

5. Ender's Shadow

6. Shadow of the Hegemon

7. Shadow Puppets

8. Shadow of the Giant

9. First Meetings

11. Ender in Exile

1 and 2 are far away the best, with 3 and 4 decent but trailing off significantly.5-8, the Bean series, are decent but not great.

Good night. That is a whole lot of follow-ups.

Halfway through "The Twelve Chairs" by Ilya Ilf and Evgeny Petrov. Highly entertaining comedy about a group of men searching for a chair filled with diamonds in the 1920ies in Russia. Lots fo funny sidestories about the live during that time.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Great book. Can be read a number of ways. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Are there ways other than front to back?
Yes
OK
Seriously though, it can be read as an historical, period-piece novel, or as a satire of one.From Time Magazine:

A feast. Dense, funny, endlessly inventive (and, OK, yes, long-winded) this satire of the 18th-century picaresque novel—think Fielding's Tom Jones or Sterne's Tristram Shandy —is also an earnest picture of the pitfalls awaiting innocence as it makes its unsteady way in the world. It's the late 17th century and Ebenezer Cooke is a poet, dutiful son and determined virgin who travels from England to Maryland to take possession of his father's tobacco (or "sot weed") plantation. He is also eventually given to believe that he has been commissioned by the third Lord Baltimore to write an epic poem, The Marylandiad. But things are not always what they seem. Actually, things are almost never what they seem. Not since Candide has a steadfast soul witnessed so many strange scenes or faced so many perils. Pirates, Indians, shrewd prostitutes, armed insurrectionists—Cooke endures them all, plus assaults on his virginity from both women and men. Barth's language is impossibly rich, a wickedly funny take on old English rhetoric and American self-appraisals. For good measure he throws in stories within stories, including the funniest retelling of the Pocahontas tale—revealed to us in the "secret" journals of Capt. John Smith—that anyone has ever dared to tell.

I love this thread. I haven't posted in it until the last post so now I have to make a few recommendations.

First I've read (listened to in audio format) the following based on the recommendations from this thread:

The Kite Runner

Pillars of the Earth

Actually am reading The Road and should finish it up tonight.

I'm sure there are others they are just escaping me right now.

Books that I recommend:

The Time Traveller's Wife (very creative story idea and well thought out and written imo)

The Gunslinger series (I've listened to it twice and love it everyone should read these books. Even if you don't like much Stephen King this series is just way better than anything else he has written)

Ender's Game mentioned a million times alread but for good reason.

Next up are World Without End, The 2nd book by the Kite Runner author - the title is escaping me right now, and then The Sparrow (I'll have to go back and see who wrote it but saw it recommended here.)

Anyway, keep posting the books you guys are reading as I have a long commute to work but don't mind it while listening to a good book.

Just read two books by Newt Gingrich:

Pearl Harbor, and

Days of Infamy

Pearl was the better of the two, but I liked both so I am planning to start his Civil War series.

Seriously though, it can be read as an historical, period-piece novel, or as a satire of one.

From Time Magazine:

A feast. Dense, funny, endlessly inventive (and, OK, yes, long-winded) this satire of the 18th-century picaresque novel—think Fielding's Tom Jones or Sterne's Tristram Shandy —is also an earnest picture of the pitfalls awaiting innocence as it makes its unsteady way in the world. It's the late 17th century and Ebenezer Cooke is a poet, dutiful son and determined virgin who travels from England to Maryland to take possession of his father's tobacco (or "sot weed") plantation. He is also eventually given to believe that he has been commissioned by the third Lord Baltimore to write an epic poem, The Marylandiad. But things are not always what they seem. Actually, things are almost never what they seem. Not since Candide has a steadfast soul witnessed so many strange scenes or faced so many perils. Pirates, Indians, shrewd prostitutes, armed insurrectionists—Cooke endures them all, plus assaults on his virginity from both women and men. Barth's language is impossibly rich, a wickedly funny take on old English rhetoric and American self-appraisals. For good measure he throws in stories within stories, including the funniest retelling of the Pocahontas tale—revealed to us in the "secret" journals of Capt. John Smith—that anyone has ever dared to tell.
I like it so far. Just finished the history of Maryland according the "Lord of Baltimore." That part was a bit rough. I definitely picked up the Quixotic vibe earlier during the Joan Toast episode. The dialogue is pretty impressive. One of my bugaboos with Barth is his utter lack of subtlety, but I guess that's just not his thing.

I love this thread. I haven't posted in it until the last post so now I have to make a few recommendations.First I've read (listened to in audio format) the following based on the recommendations from this thread:The Kite RunnerPillars of the EarthActually am reading The Road and should finish it up tonight.I'm sure there are others they are just escaping me right now.Books that I recommend:The Time Traveller's Wife (very creative story idea and well thought out and written imo)The Gunslinger series (I've listened to it twice and love it everyone should read these books. Even if you don't like much Stephen King this series is just way better than anything else he has written)Ender's Game mentioned a million times alread but for good reason.Next up are World Without End, The 2nd book by the Kite Runner author - the title is escaping me right now, and then The Sparrow (I'll have to go back and see who wrote it but saw it recommended here.)Anyway, keep posting the books you guys are reading as I have a long commute to work but don't mind it while listening to a good book.
The Sparrow is written by Mary Doria Russell. Great book. And the sequel, Children of God, is excellent as well.

Seriously though, it can be read as an historical, period-piece novel, or as a satire of one.
it thought it [sot-Weed Factor] was pretty clearly a satire. and i thoroughly enjoyed it.reading now: Edgar Sawtelle - started rough for me, but i was hooked by the chapter where the dog Almondine meets the infant Edgar. I would have led with that chapter.

just finished: The Brass Verdict - Michael Connelly's two series' protagonists come together to solve the murder of a defense attorney. good, quick summer read

igbomb said:
Tough As Nails said:
Kendall said:

3. Xenocide

4. Children of the Mind

5. Ender's Shadow

6. Shadow of the Hegemon

7. Shadow Puppets

8. Shadow of the Giant

9. First Meetings

11. Ender in Exile

I just bought the first one recently. I didn't realize there were so many follow ups. I'm excited to read it. Going on vacay late next week. I'll mow thru some books. And some booze. And hopefully some opponents at the poker table...

Just finished Gone Away World by Nick Harkaway. Here's what I wrote in my Goodreads.com review:

So many tangents, so much detail, so much fun. A strange mix of pop culture, war commentary, political satire, and identity crisis. The Fight Club-esque twist works well and brings about an ambiguous but satisfying ending. It could have been 50 pages shorter...but it's still a really good read.

If you like sci-fi and post-apocalyptic stuff, you'll enjoy this. Kung-fu, mimes and ninjas factor heavily into everything so it's certainly an entertaining mix of characters.

Just finished Gone Away World by Nick Harkaway. Here's what I wrote in my Goodreads.com review: So many tangents, so much detail, so much fun. A strange mix of pop culture, war commentary, political satire, and identity crisis. The Fight Club-esque twist works well and brings about an ambiguous but satisfying ending. It could have been 50 pages shorter...but it's still a really good read.If you like sci-fi and post-apocalyptic stuff, you'll enjoy this. Kung-fu, mimes and ninjas factor heavily into everything so it's certainly an entertaining mix of characters.
Looks good.
The Fight Club-esque twist
Oh wait, you just gave away the ending.

Just finished Gone Away World by Nick Harkaway. Here's what I wrote in my Goodreads.com review: So many tangents, so much detail, so much fun. A strange mix of pop culture, war commentary, political satire, and identity crisis. The Fight Club-esque twist works well and brings about an ambiguous but satisfying ending. It could have been 50 pages shorter...but it's still a really good read.If you like sci-fi and post-apocalyptic stuff, you'll enjoy this. Kung-fu, mimes and ninjas factor heavily into everything so it's certainly an entertaining mix of characters.
Looks good.
The Fight Club-esque twist
Oh wait, you just gave away the ending.
Uhhhh, no. It's a mild spoiler I suppose...but it won't ruin or diminish the book in any way.

Started Dune Messiah last night. Halfway through it. I have to admit that I am really dying to know what the end game of the Dune universe is with Paul's constant opining about the future he has to make sure happens, but I am not a go to the end of the story kind of guy.

I was also surprised to see the "Mother Earth" line of the story. I didn't know that was part of the original Dune storyline. Do they get to any history of Earth? People still live there? Anything?

3. Xenocide

4. Children of the Mind

5. Ender's Shadow

6. Shadow of the Hegemon

7. Shadow Puppets

8. Shadow of the Giant

9. First Meetings

11. Ender in Exile

I just ordered Speaker for the Dead. As I mentioned previously, it has been about two years since I read Ender's Game. I remember the basic storyline, would you recommend I reread the first before tackling the second?Also, I don't know if I have (or anyone else has for that matter) mentioned the website Abebooks.com. I use this website the majority of the time when I'm buying books. You can buy used books from a variety of sellers for pretty cheap and then just cover the shipping too. For example, I just bought Speaker for the Dead for $1 and payed an additional $3 in shipping.

I just ordered Speaker for the Dead. As I mentioned previously, it has been about two years since I read Ender's Game. I remember the basic storyline, would you recommend I reread the first before tackling the second?

Also, I don't know if I have (or anyone else has for that matter) mentioned the website Abebooks.com. I use this website the majority of the time when I'm buying books. You can buy used books from a variety of sellers for pretty cheap and then just cover the shipping too. For example, I just bought Speaker for the Dead for $1 and payed an additional $3 in shipping.
Re-read it if you want to. It's a fast read and interesting to go through when you know the outcome. But I wouldn't say it's necessary. If you know the basics of what happened...you're good to go.

3. Xenocide

4. Children of the Mind

5. Ender's Shadow

6. Shadow of the Hegemon

7. Shadow Puppets

8. Shadow of the Giant

9. First Meetings

11. Ender in Exile

I just ordered Speaker for the Dead. As I mentioned previously, it has been about two years since I read Ender's Game. I remember the basic storyline, would you recommend I reread the first before tackling the second?Also, I don't know if I have (or anyone else has for that matter) mentioned the website Abebooks.com. I use this website the majority of the time when I'm buying books. You can buy used books from a variety of sellers for pretty cheap and then just cover the shipping too. For example, I just bought Speaker for the Dead for $1 and payed an additional $3 in shipping.
I read the first three of this series and thought they were very good (the first was spectacular). As far as finding cheap books, bookfinder.com is your friend (Abebooks is part of that search engine). Personally I have enough paperbacks that just trading them around using paperbackswap.com will keep me busy reading things for years. Just got offered The Road and snapped that up. I have such a backlog that I doubt I will buy more than a couple new books a year - the swapping takes care of most of my reading needs.

Started Dune Messiah last night. Halfway through it. I have to admit that I am really dying to know what the end game of the Dune universe is with Paul's constant opining about the future he has to make sure happens, but I am not a go to the end of the story kind of guy.I was also surprised to see the "Mother Earth" line of the story. I didn't know that was part of the original Dune storyline. Do they get to any history of Earth? People still live there? Anything?
Finished up Dune Messiah over the weekend and got into Children of Dune. Not sure how to accept the ending of Messiah.....

First two books by Sean Chercover, Big City Bad Blood and Trigger City.

I'm not really into hard-boiled detective stories, but the reviews were pretty good so I thought I would give him a try. His second book is much better than the first, but I'm not sure if I'll read the next one when it comes out.

The main character, who isn't all that interesting, is a PI in Chicago and between the two books gets tied into the mob, the FBI, and government intelligence agencies.

Next...one chapter into Transfer of Power, Vince Flynn's first Mitch Rapp novel.

Users who are viewing this thread