What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's Normal? - When do you typically open Christmas presents? (3 Viewers)

When do you typically open Christmas presents?

• Christmas Eve

Votes: 16 12.9%
  • Christmas Morning

Votes: 92 74.2%
  • Other - Please Specify

Votes: 16 12.9%

• Total voters
We spread it out... some Christmas Eve Morning, some Christmas Eve, but most of them on Christmas Morning

Well we host wife's side of family Christmas Eve so do all those then. And my family Christmas day.

But just the immediate family is Christmas morning

When our kids were non-adults we opened 1 on Eve and the rest on Day. Now that they're grown and gone (sort of) we don't really do gifts. Voted other.

Growing up it was always Christmas morning, none on Christmas Eve. Once I had my own wife & kid, we'd do Christmas eve with my side of the fam, Christmas morning at home then with wife's side after.

When our kids were non-adults we opened 1 on Eve and the rest on Day. Now that they're grown and gone (sort of) we don't really do gifts. Voted other.
Do you and your wife exchange gifts?
Nope. We stopped since our anniversary is the day after and now we've stopped gifts on the anniversary as well. Mostly...

Other than cooking (me) Christmas is pretty stress free.

Getting up early Christmas morning, looking at the tree with all of the gifts underneath and then having to wait for my parents to get up, get dressed, have a coffee before opening was something I looked forward to every year as a child.
Having my kids wake up super early, look at all of their gifts underneath the tree, and then waiting for me and my wife to get up, get coffee'd up and then start opening was something I looked forward to every year as an adult.

Nowadays I wake up and I'm waiting for my adult children to either wake up, or arrive at our house before opening gifts, usually late morning.
I miss the good ole days at Christmas time as it's lost a bit of it's magic without children around.
Voted Christmas morning.

Christmas morning for our family
MIL comes over for breakfast a little later then we exchange gifts with her
My family comes in the evening for dinner so we will do additional gifts with my mom. Don’t exchange with my brother or nieces or nephew or cousins anymore
Usually see my dad and sister Xmas Eve afternoon will do gifts with them then
And wife’s family Christmas Eve night but we don’t do gifts with them anymore , sometimes we will do like a white elephant thing with the kids

So voted Christmas morning since that is the majority of the gifts

This is what we did growing up and the tradition continues with my children.

Day.

When I was little we did huge Christmas at my grandfathers house. His rule was we open presents midnight eve to day so we had a billion Italian dishes all day everyone was together all night on Eve, we weren't allowed to fall asleep, and then open at midnight. Great fond memories.

Though now I get it. We were exhausted christmas day and the adults were left alone to enjoy time together all day because we didnt function until the afternoon. Sly dog.

voted Christmas morning for my "family" (me, boys and their girl friends/wife and grandkid), but we used to get together w/ my mom and sister's family sometime around Christmas and have pizza and open presents also (12/20 this year) so it's not one answer.

Growing up we opened gifts on Christmas Eve. My parents still host on Christmas Eve, so now that I have my own family we open gifts on Christmas Day morning.

My kids are adults now so voted Christmas Eve. Usually spend Christmas morning travel to see my parents for Christmas dinner. We the kids were little my answer 100% would've been Christmas morning.

When our kids were non-adults we opened 1 on Eve and the rest on Day.
We always did all of ours Christmas morning growing up, and we did the same things with our kids.

There was one year though that my sister and I kept begging to open up a gift on Christmas Eve, and my parents surprisingly gave in and let us open... customized dinner plates. :kicksrock:

My wife and I open gifts on the night before we go back home to visit family (that's tonight! :excited: ). My side of the family has opened gifts on Christmas Eve for 30+ years. My wife's side of the family opens gifts on Christmas morning most often.

I voted Christmas Eve.

Wife is a nurse, she works every other Christmas. We rotate between Christmas and Christmas Eve depending on her schedule.

We spread it out... some Christmas Eve Morning, some Christmas Eve, but most of them on Christmas Morning
We let the kids open one on Christmas Eve, then the "Santa" gifts and gifts from "us" on Christmas Morning. Then go over to my Mom's on Christmas Day night so we can all open her gifts and gifts from my sister.

Last edited:
OTHER

(no kids)

As soon as I get home from work tonight. Just a couple hours to go! This year is a prefect example of why it would suck to wait for Christmas morning, if you have to go to work the next day. We always do it a soon as the Christmas holiday/weekend starts, that way you have all the time off to mess around with the new toys! Wife will be playing MWIII all weekend. I got her a really cool 3D puzzle too.

But now I think about it, as soon as I retire and every day is a holiday, we'll probably revert back to the date on the calendar.

Wife and kids? Xmas morning. There's a magic string at the top of the stairs. If the kids go through it first the string breaks and all gifts downstairs disappear. Only an adult can breach the string, so the kids position themselves at the top of the stairs at 6...probably 5something. They're not supposed to wake us up til 7, but they've learned that we won't get mad if their chirping for us at least starts after ~6:30something. Once we give the all clear (coffee in hand) we break it then commence the stampede down the stairs.

My wife gets Christmas PJ's for me, the kids, and grandkids and we open those on Christmas eve. Stockings are fair game as soon as you wake up, which when the kids were young, helped let us adults sleep in as we always put some kind of little toy in them. Presents opened up after everyone is up and coffee is drank.

Our kids want to do Secret Santa gifts, so we open those Christmas Eve. Everything else is Christmas morning.

Wife and kids? Xmas morning. There's a magic string at the top of the stairs. If the kids go through it first the string breaks and all gifts downstairs disappear. Only an adult can breach the string, so the kids position themselves at the top of the stairs at 6...probably 5something. They're not supposed to wake us up til 7, but they've learned that we won't get mad if their chirping for us at least starts after ~6:30something. Once we give the all clear (coffee in hand) we break it then commence the stampede down the stairs.
Man, I love this.

Magic string. Dammit I wish I would have thought of that. :lol:

Wife and I are empty nesters so we open our gifts to each other Christmas morning.
We go to our daughters house for Christmas eve and gift opening there.
This year our granddaughter is 1 year and 3 months old so should be fun to watch her tear open the gifts :wub:

Never exchanged gifts with wife since marriage. Kids open 90% on Christmas morning, but daughter usually gets one Christmas eve.

This is genius!!!!!!

You better make a TikTok video of that - it’ll go viral.

Growing up, the family always flew back to Grandma and Grandpa's house for Christmas. The kids would be put to bed Christmas Eve and the adults would stay up late opening gifts from each other. That way, Christmas morning was all about the kids and the adults could take their time, drink, talk (smoke, in my Uncle's case) without being interrupted by a bunch of over-excited kids. As kids got older they were invited to stay up with the adults. Now, my family lives all in the same town. So we go to my parents Christmas Eve, do the adult thing while the kids watch, and then Christmas morning is every kid for themselves at their own houses.

Spread out at as well. Christmas Eve we do some small stuff with extended family. Christmas Day, we do the main presents with the core family. My wife and I will usually spread our gifts out over several days.

Users who are viewing this thread